Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does where you live influence your weight & fitness?

1246789

Replies

  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    by John Staughton (BASc, BFA) last updated - January 31, 2020

    A common question is often heard around the dinner table – is corn a vegetable? The answer is a bit more complicated than you might expect.

    Is Corn a Vegetable?
    When debating whether corn is technically a vegetable, or whether it belongs to the cereal family, there are a few important things to consider.

    A vegetable is any edible part of a plant, so when you eat corn on the cob, you are eating a vegetable.
    However, each of the individual kernels of corn is considered a whole grain, so using a strict definition of corn as a vegetable isn’t totally true. By definition, a whole grain is a small, hard, dry seed of a grass plant. The endosperm (the internal white part) of the corn kernel is used to prepare cornstarch. So, when you use cornstarch, you are using the corn kernel as a whole grain.
    That being said, since the corn kernels contain seeds, when they are popped into popcorn, the definition changes again, technically making popcorn a fruit. A fruit is an edible part of the plant that contains a seed or matured over of the flowers.


    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    I also agree. I seriously doubt that you all are eating very much of those foods, and probably eat healthy most the time. You all know you're healthy despite eating a little junk not because of it! I grew up eating frozen dinners and junk food and hardly any vegetables except corn. If I hadn't gotten on a health kick at 16, I'd probably have the same chronic diseases, by now, that my parents have.
    Living in a non-walkable area definitely influences weight and fitness. It's easier to stay fit when you have the option of walking places, or running outside.

    Any supermarket that removed junk food would face a huge backlash and probably go out of business. You can't dictate something as personal as food on that scale. Some communities do have a culture of healthy eating and tend to have lower rates of obesity. But you can't force people to change their culture, at least not without a backlash, and that raises ethical questions.

    Also, even "healthy organic specialty" supermarkets have plenty of junk food. You have the causality backwards -- the supermarkets in your area stock more healthy foods because there is more demand due to the local culture of being healthy/fit.

    And anyway, junk food doesn't make you fat. It's the quantity of calories that makes you fat, regardless of where it comes from.

    Actually junk food does make you fat. All the salt, sugar and chemicals makes you crave more salt and sugar so you eat more junk food full of empty calories and chemicals. And healthy nutritional foods are used by the body as fuel while junk food just clogs arteries, is stored as fat, gives you high cholesterol, is conducive to diabetes and otherwise reeks havoc on the body. It’s not even all about weight, but health and nutrition. I can never understand how people are basically putting poison in their bodies every day and food corporations are getting away with poisoning Americans. There is literally no value whatsoever to “foods” like Cheetos or Twinkies and still people consume them. Why? Not only is there no nutritional value to them, they are BAD for you, poisonous! Sodas like Coke and Pepsi, even the zero calorie kind are pure poison! People have to think less about losing weight and more about nutrition. If people stuck to healthy, pure, non-prepackaged foods with high nutritional value, they would automatically lose weight and feel so much healthier!

    I feel the same way.

    Corn is a grain.

    More significantly, eating a bad diet (meaning inadequate nutrients) is bad for you, and that certainly applies to eating a diet with no vegetables.

    But that doesn't mean that eating some junk food equates to eating a bad diet, as was claimed, or that occasional ice cream or diet coke is "consuming poison."

  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I don't know, but I just assume the person was just trying to get her point across about how bad junk food is compared to the healthy whole foods we could eat instead for the same amount of calories...not claiming soda and cheetos are literally poisonous. Maybe it's because we tend to use flowery language like that here in the South.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Prisons probably have nutritionists or dieticians that plan their meals as inexpensively as possible around the USDA dietary guidelines ( like in schools and other government run institutions). & if it's anything like the movies, aren't the prisoners always outside weightlifting, haha?


    ninerbuff wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    I also agree. I seriously doubt that you all are eating very much of those foods, and probably eat healthy most the time. You all know you're healthy despite eating a little junk not because of it! I grew up eating frozen dinners and junk food and hardly any vegetables except corn. If I hadn't gotten on a health kick at 16, I'd probably have the same chronic diseases, by now, that my parents have.
    Living in a non-walkable area definitely influences weight and fitness. It's easier to stay fit when you have the option of walking places, or running outside.

    Any supermarket that removed junk food would face a huge backlash and probably go out of business. You can't dictate something as personal as food on that scale. Some communities do have a culture of healthy eating and tend to have lower rates of obesity. But you can't force people to change their culture, at least not without a backlash, and that raises ethical questions.

    Also, even "healthy organic specialty" supermarkets have plenty of junk food. You have the causality backwards -- the supermarkets in your area stock more healthy foods because there is more demand due to the local culture of being healthy/fit.

    And anyway, junk food doesn't make you fat. It's the quantity of calories that makes you fat, regardless of where it comes from.

    Actually junk food does make you fat. All the salt, sugar and chemicals makes you crave more salt and sugar so you eat more junk food full of empty calories and chemicals. And healthy nutritional foods are used by the body as fuel while junk food just clogs arteries, is stored as fat, gives you high cholesterol, is conducive to diabetes and otherwise reeks havoc on the body. It’s not even all about weight, but health and nutrition. I can never understand how people are basically putting poison in their bodies every day and food corporations are getting away with poisoning Americans. There is literally no value whatsoever to “foods” like Cheetos or Twinkies and still people consume them. Why? Not only is there no nutritional value to them, they are BAD for you, poisonous! Sodas like Coke and Pepsi, even the zero calorie kind are pure poison! People have to think less about losing weight and more about nutrition. If people stuck to healthy, pure, non-prepackaged foods with high nutritional value, they would automatically lose weight and feel so much healthier!

    I feel the same way.
    If eating low quality food for years ACTUALLY caused chronic disease, then explain how prison inmates have been in penitentiaries for decades eating some of the lowest quality foods 3 times a day and NOT suffering many of the maladies that the average very overweight/obese population is suffering from?

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    If so, I'd have to disagree that they're eating the lowest quality foods. Powdered mashed potatoes is healthier than chips and a can of corn is healthier than cheetos, for example. They probably drink more coffee and tea than soda, i bet.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    edited July 2021
    On MFP, using hyperbolic flowery language when one doesnt literally mean that - not a good idea.

    other people aren't mind readers and don't know you don't mean it and your point is lost.



    8f8i1xw1vwrg.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,824 Member
    NVintage wrote: »
    If so, I'd have to disagree that they're eating the lowest quality foods. Powdered mashed potatoes is healthier than chips and a can of corn is healthier than cheetos, for example. They probably drink more coffee and tea than soda, i bet.
    Well the population does have commissary and that's mostly just junk food like chips and candy.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,276 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    Prisons probably have nutritionists or dieticians that plan their meals as inexpensively as possible around the USDA dietary guidelines ( like in schools and other government run institutions). & if it's anything like the movies, aren't the prisoners always outside weightlifting, haha?



    There aren't any dieticians. The inmates make the food that's delivered to them. Put it this way, the average cost to FEED an inmate in the CA penal system 3 meals a day is just under $5.
    As for working out, a lot of prisons have removed dumbbells and plates because they were used as weapons.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Per Today's Dietitian there are RDs working in corrections. If you look at the article California had 22 of them as of publication date.


    https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/0616p32.shtml
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 1,944 Member
    lalooso wrote: »
    As a criminal justice researcher, I can say for a fact that incarcerated people are less healthy than the general population, and that their poor health while incarcerated has reverbations for the rest of their life, even when they're out. As we all know, health is about more than just food and weight. Almost every person who enters a incarceration will leave with a disability or a mental health disorder. In many facilities, prisoners are only allowed outside for one hour a day. And that's not talking about the thousands of people in solitary confinement for long periods of time. I don't think it's in our best interest to discuss the health of incarcerated people, who are probably suffering the most i
    health wise n our society.

    Going back to the original post, public health researchers have pretty much shown that your location does affect your health. People in poor communities live in food deserts where it's much easier to find and afford McDonald's than it is to get broccoli. And someone else mentioned that your friends and social network also heavily affect what you eat. I think it goes without saying that people who live in healthier communities, or who have healthier friends, are going to be making better food and exercise choices. And that includes for their families, which also has direct implications for child obesity.

    It's an unfortunate reality, but also makes me think a lot about how we need to tackle health health from a structural or neighborhood and policy perspective. It's not only about people's individual choices.

    👆THIS
    ALL OF THIS ☝🏼
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    I also agree. I seriously doubt that you all are eating very much of those foods, and probably eat healthy most the time. You all know you're healthy despite eating a little junk not because of it! I grew up eating frozen dinners and junk food and hardly any vegetables except corn. If I hadn't gotten on a health kick at 16, I'd probably have the same chronic diseases, by now, that my parents have.
    Living in a non-walkable area definitely influences weight and fitness. It's easier to stay fit when you have the option of walking places, or running outside.

    Any supermarket that removed junk food would face a huge backlash and probably go out of business. You can't dictate something as personal as food on that scale. Some communities do have a culture of healthy eating and tend to have lower rates of obesity. But you can't force people to change their culture, at least not without a backlash, and that raises ethical questions.

    Also, even "healthy organic specialty" supermarkets have plenty of junk food. You have the causality backwards -- the supermarkets in your area stock more healthy foods because there is more demand due to the local culture of being healthy/fit.

    And anyway, junk food doesn't make you fat. It's the quantity of calories that makes you fat, regardless of where it comes from.

    Actually junk food does make you fat. All the salt, sugar and chemicals makes you crave more salt and sugar so you eat more junk food full of empty calories and chemicals. And healthy nutritional foods are used by the body as fuel while junk food just clogs arteries, is stored as fat, gives you high cholesterol, is conducive to diabetes and otherwise reeks havoc on the body. It’s not even all about weight, but health and nutrition. I can never understand how people are basically putting poison in their bodies every day and food corporations are getting away with poisoning Americans. There is literally no value whatsoever to “foods” like Cheetos or Twinkies and still people consume them. Why? Not only is there no nutritional value to them, they are BAD for you, poisonous! Sodas like Coke and Pepsi, even the zero calorie kind are pure poison! People have to think less about losing weight and more about nutrition. If people stuck to healthy, pure, non-prepackaged foods with high nutritional value, they would automatically lose weight and feel so much healthier!

    I feel the same way.
    If eating low quality food for years ACTUALLY caused chronic disease, then explain how prison inmates have been in penitentiaries for decades eating some of the lowest quality foods 3 times a day and NOT suffering many of the maladies that the average very overweight/obese population is suffering from?

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Where are you getting this information from? I don't think this is accurate. Inmates in general gain weight during incarceration, and their risk of "maladies that the average overweight/obese population suffer from" isn't less than those outside prison.

    I have never seen a study that shows prisoners are healthier than the general population. They might have some benefits in the treatment of chronic illness that perhaps very low income people wouldn't have access to for financial reason. But if you are going to hold them up as an example of good health you are going to have to provide some data for that.


    There's pretty good data on health conditions in prison (in the US, anyway). Prisoners tend to have more chronic disease than non-prisoners and heart disease is a leading cause of death for former prisoners and prisoners. But some people are going INTO prison with these conditions and prison is a high stress environment for many, which confounds simple links to diet or activity. Some people are getting more health care in prison than they would on the outside, but the quality of the health care isn't always that great.

    https://www.newsweek.com/double-time-chronic-diseases-chronic-problem-490009

    The poster I was responding to made the assertion that we can conclude that "low quality" food is not unhealthy because inmates eat low quality food, and are healthier than the general population. My point is that there is no evidence that incarcerated people ARE healthier than the general population. In fact the opposite is true, prisoners are in general more obese and less healthy than the general population, which invalidates his claim. I don't see anything in the article you posted that supports his original assertion.

    "Interpretation: The Canadian correctional environment can be considered obesogenic, with most inmates experiencing undesirable and rapid weight gain during their incarceration. Rates of obesity increased dramatically during incarceration, and could put inmates at increased risk of obesity-related health problems."

    https://www.cmajopen.ca/content/6/3/E347

    I'm not disagreeing with you. I don't know what evidence supports the assertion that inmates are healthier, but it doesn't match what I have seen. Sorry for not making that clear.

    I don't necessarily agree that food is the main issue (I think there are multiple factors at play here), but it probably is an issue.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,878 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    NVintage wrote: »
    I also agree. I seriously doubt that you all are eating very much of those foods, and probably eat healthy most the time. You all know you're healthy despite eating a little junk not because of it! I grew up eating frozen dinners and junk food and hardly any vegetables except corn. If I hadn't gotten on a health kick at 16, I'd probably have the same chronic diseases, by now, that my parents have.
    Living in a non-walkable area definitely influences weight and fitness. It's easier to stay fit when you have the option of walking places, or running outside.

    Any supermarket that removed junk food would face a huge backlash and probably go out of business. You can't dictate something as personal as food on that scale. Some communities do have a culture of healthy eating and tend to have lower rates of obesity. But you can't force people to change their culture, at least not without a backlash, and that raises ethical questions.

    Also, even "healthy organic specialty" supermarkets have plenty of junk food. You have the causality backwards -- the supermarkets in your area stock more healthy foods because there is more demand due to the local culture of being healthy/fit.

    And anyway, junk food doesn't make you fat. It's the quantity of calories that makes you fat, regardless of where it comes from.

    Actually junk food does make you fat. All the salt, sugar and chemicals makes you crave more salt and sugar so you eat more junk food full of empty calories and chemicals. And healthy nutritional foods are used by the body as fuel while junk food just clogs arteries, is stored as fat, gives you high cholesterol, is conducive to diabetes and otherwise reeks havoc on the body. It’s not even all about weight, but health and nutrition. I can never understand how people are basically putting poison in their bodies every day and food corporations are getting away with poisoning Americans. There is literally no value whatsoever to “foods” like Cheetos or Twinkies and still people consume them. Why? Not only is there no nutritional value to them, they are BAD for you, poisonous! Sodas like Coke and Pepsi, even the zero calorie kind are pure poison! People have to think less about losing weight and more about nutrition. If people stuck to healthy, pure, non-prepackaged foods with high nutritional value, they would automatically lose weight and feel so much healthier!

    I feel the same way.
    If eating low quality food for years ACTUALLY caused chronic disease, then explain how prison inmates have been in penitentiaries for decades eating some of the lowest quality foods 3 times a day and NOT suffering many of the maladies that the average very overweight/obese population is suffering from?

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Where are you getting this information from? I don't think this is accurate. Inmates in general gain weight during incarceration, and their risk of "maladies that the average overweight/obese population suffer from" isn't less than those outside prison.

    I have never seen a study that shows prisoners are healthier than the general population. They might have some benefits in the treatment of chronic illness that perhaps very low income people wouldn't have access to for financial reason. But if you are going to hold them up as an example of good health you are going to have to provide some data for that.


    There's pretty good data on health conditions in prison (in the US, anyway). Prisoners tend to have more chronic disease than non-prisoners and heart disease is a leading cause of death for former prisoners and prisoners. But some people are going INTO prison with these conditions and prison is a high stress environment for many, which confounds simple links to diet or activity. Some people are getting more health care in prison than they would on the outside, but the quality of the health care isn't always that great.

    https://www.newsweek.com/double-time-chronic-diseases-chronic-problem-490009

    I'm not questioning the underlying thesis of poorer than average health among prisoners and former prisoners. But this particular sentence needs some comparison data, because heart disease is THE leading cause of death in the U.S. overall (even in 2020 it beat out covid deaths). So it's not saying much that it should be a leading cause of death for prisoners and former prisoners.

    The point I was trying to make (and obviously failed to do) is that prison is not protecting people from the chronic health conditions that exist outside of prison. In fact, evidence shows that prisoners are more prone to some chronic health conditions.