Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Does where you live influence your weight & fitness?

13»

Replies

• ritzvinritzvin Member, Premium Posts: 2,738 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,738 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ritzvin wrote: »
    There is literally no value whatsoever to “foods” like Cheetos or Twinkies and still people consume them. Why? Not only is there no nutritional value to them, they are BAD for you, poisonous! Sodas like Coke and Pepsi, even the zero calorie kind are pure poison! People have to think less about losing weight and more about nutrition. If people stuck to healthy, pure, non-prepackaged foods with high nutritional value, they would automatically lose weight and feel so much healthier!

Soda has saved its share of athletes that were beyond the point of majorly bonked. Quick dense carbs and sugar do have their place, and are almost a requirement for endurance athletes to meet their calorie needs. Just because you might be nearly sedentary, doesn't mean everyone is.

0.5% of the US population has ever run a marathon, 70% of the US population is currently overweight or obese.

Nothing wrong with some soda occasionally but it has more likely contributed to more heath issues than it has "saved".

Certainly true. I don't disagree with that in the slightest. But I definitely wouldn't refer to them as "poisonous" and having absolutely no nutritional value. And in the OP's case, it sounds like she might be largely surrounded by those who do value their fitness (or at least the visual appearance produced by said fitness).. so likely a significantly higher % of athletes than typical in the US overall.
  • littlegreenparrot1littlegreenparrot1 Member Posts: 379 Member Member Posts: 379 Member
    I’m wondering if people’s neighborhoods can influence people’s weight, health and nutrition levels. I have no overweight friends. I rarely see anyone above the “normal” weight in charts when I’m out and about. Most people are definitely on the low end of normal. People here actually look like the people in movies and on TV (because they often ARE or want to be lol.) If other areas started removing junk food from supermarkets and stocking more healthy nutritious food, would that change the health of America? Is eating healthy or unhealthy just a habit that people get used to depending on where they live and what their circle of friends/family eat? I know there are many psychological reasons people either overeat or develop eating disorders, but is it possible than many overeat unhealthy food just because it’s “normal” where they live? Just curious...

If I thought someone would pay me thousands for looking a certain way I would probably have paid more attention to it over the last 20 years.

There are lots of other things that play into this. Food culture, transport structure - is it possible and safe to walk places? Habit, availability and cost of different types of food. Confidence, equipment, space and power required to cook.

It's all very well that I know how to make a pan full of vegetable soup cheaply. I have access to the space, time, energy (both my own and power for the hob), equipment, and motivation to do it. Those things do not apply to everyone.

I also have a car, access to lots of supermarkets, have money to spend on what I want, don't have to lug heavy bags up flights of stairs along with several small children...can pay for a gym membership and have the time and energy to use it. If I had worked a 12 hour warehouse shift that might not be the case.

It can play a part but it is a simplification, money buys you choices that make these things a lot easier.
  • ritzvinritzvin Member, Premium Posts: 2,738 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,738 Member
    Definitely the above.
    - Walking will be way more common in some places just to get around. (even if you have a car, if in a dense city, you won't have the option of waddling a mere 3 yards out the door and jumping in it, or from the parking lot sea in front of your destination).
    - different places will have a different 'standard' of what is considered normal. If you live somewhere where you are considered a twig (despite being overweight, but just no where near as much as pretty much everyone else), there will likely be much less drive to lose it. (and you might not even realize that you are overweight).
  • MikePfirrmanMikePfirrman Member Posts: 1,840 Member Member Posts: 1,840 Member
    Just weather alone makes a huge difference. I left Cincinnati, where in 3 of the last five years they've had over 60 inches of rain and likely less than 100 sunny days. Now, I'm Southern AZ with 9 or 10 months of great weather, not three like in Cincinnati.

When it rains 26 of 30 days, you tend to eat a LOT more out of depression. Cincinnati is equal in wealth (or even wealthier) than Tucson overall, with the exception of a few affluent areas near the mountains and resorts. But I see 1/5th of the heavy people here in AZ than I did in Ohio.
    edited September 10
  • PsychgrrlPsychgrrl Member Posts: 2,878 Member Member Posts: 2,878 Member
    freda78 wrote: »
    I have never eaten a McDonald's Big Mac in my life and instead went from large-ish to morbid obese slowly over a 15 year period by simply eating a bit more than I should. There is more to it of course, quite a bit more in fact, how come I did not care enough about myself to nip it in the bud but that is a story for another day.

But now I am shifting it and am doing that by eating less than I need and not one morsel of my current diet is an organic superfood because I do not have more money than sense. I eat nice food I enjoy, always have, but now I am calorie counting.

Just saying that a lot of stuff that gets trotted out when discussing obesity is a load of tosh and very little of it comes from actually talking to people who are or who have been obese to understanding how they got there.

Would living in California, surrounded by skinny people and shops that sell organic bananas for 4 times the price of ordinary ones have stopped me from getting so fat? No, not unless all the other factors were removed also.

As another Californian (SoCal), it’s not about the people around me—they do them, I do me—that inspires fitness. It’s the weather and the geography. Great temps year-round, everything from beaches to forests to desert to mountains (and 🍷 country!) within a couple hours. So many opportunities to be active! I go hiking a couple weekends a month.

And my grocery bill has gone down from when I lived in the middle/south. Could be some of my fav foods are grown here 🥑 🍊 etc. and therefore they’re less expensive. I have my own olive tree! I also think it’s supply and demand. Places to go shopping galore! Very different than when you only have a few grocery stores in town.

Never bought an organic banana. Don’t imagine I ever will. 😊

I do think Socio-economic status, access to healthcare, and access to healthy food can impact obesity rates along with other co-morbidities. I lived in one of those states, saw it firsthand for over a decade. Educational level does make a difference in deciphering all the crazy advertising madness brands and charlatans throw at you. So does access to the internet. Another thing that can be lacking in areas with lower median incomes.