Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How often do you log your weight/weigh yourself?

Options
124»

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Prater1994 wrote: »
    Also, for women, when on your menstrual, do you normally wait until after to weigh, and do you allow yourself extra calories during?

i weigh myself daily and log it in happy scale. i log it in mfp weekly. but daily fluctuations dont bother me. the scale has been up 2 pounds yesterday and today from the 3 pieces of pizza for dinner tuesday night. its water/sodium. not real weight. no biggie. itll flush out over the next couple of days. water weight from TOM is no different.

no i do not allow myself extra calories for TOM. thats ridiculous. you do you though. ironically enough i came across an OLD very similar thread to this i had replied on from probably 5 or 6 years ago just yesterday. if you truly feel you need something to eat, then eat but you probably really dont. My habits and schedule (eating, workout) are no different during that time, than during the rest of the month.

I think part of the reasoning for more calories during TOM is that your body does actually use more at that part of your cycle, which may be part of the reason some women experience cravings. But the difference is not super significant, only a hundred calories or so. I don't adjust up at present either, but maybe I would once at maintenance - we'll see how I feel when I get there.

I'm still a weekly weigh-in person, though I am toying with increasing the frequency. I have a column on my weight loss spreadsheet that it would be really easy to pop in a formula for a rolling average...and I do like data...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Every Saturday after excercise and shower all nekkid like.

(Ok, I kinda got into the habit of doing a pre-weigh in before exercise and shower and only half nekkid like.)

I keep track of the weekly weight and then average out at the end of the month and log it then.

so i dont have my reading glasses on and i read 'like' as 'bike' and thought you were riding your bike half nekkid (as in... outside) and yeah. that was quite the metal image. dont mind me. im in pain and a bit delirious. and a bit semi blind. :D

LOL that would be quite the image for so many reasons.

Feel better. Take good drugs. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log that into Happy Scale daily. I log my weight into MFP sporadically.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Prater1994 wrote: »
    Also, for women, when on your menstrual, do you normally wait until after to weigh, and do you allow yourself extra calories during?

Now that I am (hopefully) very close to menopause, my lowest point of the month is two days into my period. I believe it is more common for the low point to be more like 5-7 days into one's period.

I used to retain water premenstrually, but these days my body saves that for when I ovulate.

My appetite goes up premenstrually, which I've heard is common, and I do allow myself extra calories at that time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I weigh daily, and I allow myself extra calories whenever I feel hungry and don't want to stay hungry. There are days when staying hungry feels okay and days when it doesn't. In general, unlike many, I actually feel LESS hungry on my period so I usually eat less.

A blip up on the scale means nothing to me because logically when I see a 3-4 pound increase overnight I know for a fact it wasn't because I ate enough calories to make that happen overnight, so I don't wait, I just weigh myself daily. My "highest weight" is actually an important datapoint to me. If my highest weight is getting higher each month, it means I may be gaining weight so I need to watch my intake more carefully, and if it keeps getting lower, it means I may be losing weight.
  • xxronexx
    xxronexx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My preference is to weigh monthly - on the First. I find it demotivating to not see the numbers going down when I look at the scale, and when i weigh weekly it's not uncommon to see no change, or a pound or two in the wrong direction!
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sometimes daily. Sometimes weekly
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday at 6:53 AM(it's my thing), then 2nd weigh in at least 2 hrs later typically before Sundays workout. Lastly after I stop sweating and come out of the shower I take my 3rd weigh in of the week. I use the 2nd to update where I'm at for the week. Its the new factor to determine.. either up or down what my workout cal burn is for the upcoming week. I know the cal burn is a guesstimate, but hey its the ritual that works for me...
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, but I only log when I hit a new low weight. My pattern seems to be that I'll hit a new low weight, fluctuate up and down by up to a pound for several days, then bam! new low weight again. As long as that pattern continues, I still see a downward trend. I don't stress about the fluctuations, because I know that's normal and weight can vary depending on water intake, sodium intake, hormonal fluctuations, and many other factors.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and track in a trend app - but on a team I'm in, we only log once a week. I still find the daily extremely helpful to spot trends/patterns/and a bit more predictive of where I'm headed than a less frequent weigh in would show