September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins hahahahaha so one of my favorite songs is "Cringe," by Matt Maeson. I think you'll relate and enjoy it.

Agree on self defense and maybe getting picked on. That mentality is so funny to me. I used to worry about it and there have been a couple of instances when I've legitimately been concerned, but at the same time, I will deliver the fear of God. I know exactly what I will do. The two times I have been concerned, they wouldn't have been willing to waste their drugs on me, for one thing. Secondly, while I realize there are bad people everywhere, I try to make sure they are more afraid of me than I am of them. I may or may not have told an individual on a trick bike Saturday night that I am not the one, I will *kitten* gut you.

Finished my 46.99 shortly after that moment. I don't think I am identifiable because me while running looks very different than me dressed for work. I know you're not allowed to threaten people's lives, but you're ALSO not allowed to make people worry that you might try to take theirs. Street goes both ways. besides, I have made a promise and a commitment to always come home to my kids in one piece.

@Scott6255 I can't believe it either. I just keep thinking, "I can't believe I just did that."

Also I am really tired.

@hamsterwheel6 maybe while I am resting (yeah right) I will get some clutter cleared. The house definitely gets neglected for these long races. It's not trashed, but it needs vacuumed, dusted, etc. Bleh.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso which 100? The Javelina? Oh I signed up for each loop! I can't remember what the total mileage is but I need to get 200 miles in each month for the rest of the year to get to my personal 2020. Our team already has theirs but I won't feel like I've really earned the medal unless I do 2020 myself. Which is actually stupid and maybe not even safe. I pledged 1200 I think.

Agree with everything on safety. Make sure they know you see them.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I also agree. Was in the middle of a veeeery long post on the topic and my computer died. 2nd time in a month. So over this year.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Glad you were able to talk to your dad. I know that was a relief. Hope you get good news from the surgeons. Sorry the Screaming Bridge was crowded. I agree. That shouldn't be allowed.

@Scott6255 That run sounds brutal. You did great just getting it done!

@Camaramandy648 AMAZING pace and time on the 172K. I can't even imagine. And congrats on being in 5th place!!! It's good that the other toe nail is growing underneath the bad one. It won't hurt as much when the old one comes off - at least that was my experience when I dropped something heavy on mine and it came off.

You are doing great @WandaVaughn !
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 The base is 100 miles in October but there was another option (Jero's Journey I think?) that you could pick higher mileage. One was 500. 500.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    09/02/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 6.6
    09/03/20 :::: 1.9 :::: 8.4
    09/04/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 11.6
    09/05/20 :::: 7.5 :::: 19.1
    09/06/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 20.6
    09/07/20 :::: 2.2 :::: 22.8
    09/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 26.0
    09/09/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 30.0
    09/10/20 :::: 5.2 :::: 35.2
    09/11/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 38.5
    09/12/20 :::: 8.6 :::: 47.0
    09/13/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 50.4
    09/14/20 :::: 5.1 :::: 55.5
    09/15/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 57.6
    09/16/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 59.9
    09/17/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 61.7
    09/18/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 63.5
    09/19/20 :::: 8.5 :::: 72.0
    09/20/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 75.1
    09/21/20 :::: 4.4 :::: 79.5
    09/22/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 81.8
    09/23/20 :::: 3.8 :::: 85.6
    09/24/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 87.6
    09/25/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 90.6
    09/26/20 :::: 9.0 :::: 99.6
    09/27/20 :::: 2.5 :::: 102.1
    09/28/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 106.1

Met a friend at 5 pm for 5k, then added a little bit more as warm up right before my strength training session. Strength training was tough today, my kettlebell seemed super heavy - probably that extra gravity that's been going around. My arms are going to be sore tomorrow.

The super nice weather is going to come to an end overnight, sadly. I'm unsure what I'll do about running tomorrow morning before yoga as it looks like rain. I don't really want to be soaking wet and have to change, but I also don't want to run on the treadmill with a mask on. I haven't been on the treadmill since March.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @hanlosk true, most people I see at like 5 am are also running or walking. I've also found around dusk to have some unsavory characters. The ones that watch a little too long or try to follow.

Mostly I see teenagers trying to hide the weed 🤣
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Re the safety question, I've always been pretty comfortable running on my own in daylight - my theory is I'm fairly fast, have great hearing and the odds are in my favour.

However, I had an eye opening experience when I went out with my two friends on Sunday: At the start of the run, one (a very, very good kickboxer) stopped to use the loo. There was a guy there, who I hadn't even spotted, and she asked us to watch to make sure he didn't follow her in.

This was 7:30am on a wet morning (first day of daylight saving so felt like 6:30am, and my theory falls in line with others regarding early morning attacks - ie, the dodgy peeps are still asleep. The guy himself, while big - tall and very overweight - struck me as a perfectly regular guy. Also, his truck was a company vehicle so he'd be easy to trace. It never occurred to me to consider him a threat.

The same woman later commented that she needed to do some serious solo trail miles (she has a brutal off-road marathon coming up and needs to be mentally and physically prepared) but was afraid to be out alone. The third woman with us concurred. Once again, it never occurred to me to be afraid - the only people you meet on trails in the back of beyond are other runners and hikers.

My husband doesn't like me walking home in the dark after yoga - my reasoning, it's about 500 metres and a busy, well lit street. I refuse to live in fear. That being said, aside from catcalling, and once, a rather drunk young man trying to strike up a conversation with me by running alongside me up a very steep hill (so for about 10 seconds), I've never had a bad experience running. As a result, I happily head out when I please.

I am sensible, and don't do lonely trails in the dark (also, my night vision is *kitten* and I'd probably trip and crack my head open) or run in dodgy neighbourhoods. But I refuse to live in fear of something so unlikely to happen. Clubbing is waaaaay more dangerous.

When running am much, much more afraid of the following (in order): tripping up (has happened more than once), being hit by a car (not yet), stray dogs (never bitten, just barked at), sunburn (happens quicker than you think!).
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Clubbing is waaaaay more dangerous.

When running am much, much more afraid of the following (in order): tripping up (has happened more than once), being hit by a car (not yet), stray dogs (never bitten, just barked at), sunburn (happens quicker than you think!).

.All of this! My list is very similar to yours. Dogs are a bit higher, and depending on the location there may be other wildlife added on, but otherwise yes, this is what I worry about while running.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Great running. We need to figure out how to get rid of that extra gravity. It's tough when it is in your neighborhood. LOL It weather here is awful today too. Rain and a high of only 58°F. Last year it was 92! Crazy weather. I wouldn't want to have to try to run on a treadmill with a mask either. Don't think that would go well.