September 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options
1424344454648»

Replies

• Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Wow @rheddmobile - the hawk photo is stunning!!!
    Sorry about the injury. Hope you’re not in too much pain and it heals quickly xx
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Goal was 125km, managed 127.3km.
    Ouch @rheddmobile!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 – 6 with Champ
    9/2 – 3 with Champ
    9/3 – 5 miles
    9/4 – 3 miles of trail climb with Champ
    9/5 – 7 miles
    9/6 – 5 miles
    9/7 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/8 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/9 – 10K for my monthly challenge
    9/10 – 3 miles with Champ
    9/11 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/12 – 6 miles
    9/13 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/14 – 2 miles with Champ
    9/15 – 6 miles
    9/16 – 4 miles with Champ
    9/17 – rest day
    9/18 – 5 with Champ
    9/19 – 7 miles
    9/20 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/21 – 6 miles
    9/22 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/23 – 4 miles with Champ
    9/24 – 1 mile
    9/25 – 5 miles with Champ
    9/26 – 8 miles
    9/27 – 6 miles (Space Camp 5K trail and 5K road)
    9/28 – 4 miles with Champ
    9/29 – 6 miles
    9/30 – 4 miles with Champ

142 (146.74) of 115 miles

@polskagirl01 looks like a fun place to run, but no thanks LOL

See you over in October thread!

Races:
    148 of 335 miles Pinhoti Trail Challenge done
    209 of 248 miles of Space Race done
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August – done
    Chupacabra 10K/HM – August 22 - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020 - done
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec – 133 miles done
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November – 194 miles done
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – running virtual
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    Options
    Thanks @hamsterwheel6 And congrats on your 10K.

What a beautiful sky @Faebert. I've always wanted to go to London.

@rheddmobile I'm really glad the photos were of the greenline and not the finger. LOL I'm sure there are a few here who would have liked to see the finger. And the hawk photo is spectacular! No wonder you will miss running there. Hopefully you can get back there soon.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    @noblsheep hahahahahaha I guess it is interesting. Also stressful. Also the reason I run. Also wouldn't trade it for a single thing. :)

@Faebert I WANT TO RUN THERE!

@Camaramandy648 Do it!! Come to London! In fact, you all should. We’ll have a big group run and I will make cake for everyone!

Would be so nice if we could all have a giant meet up and run together...

Unfortunately, I don't think those of us who are from the USA are permitted to travel to the UK.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 - nope, nope, nope... you do recall what they call a runner who finds a dead body right? I am pretty sure you are NOT a jogger 🤣

@kgirlhart - Hobbes still loves to jump and can really 'fly' over the obstacles on course, it just really wears him out. I think I will likely move him down to jump a lower height in agility though so it isn't so hard on his joints and hopefully he can continue to do it for a lot longer.

@Teresa502 - Hobbes was not with me. It was a while ago and before he was able to really run distances with me.

@rheddmobile - OUCH! I hope your nail grows back ok, it may surprise you. Also I think you need to order some new sharper knives! I too was really happy for greenling pictures and not of your finger - ha! That picture of the hawk is fantastic! How far from you was it?

@Faebert - it would be fun to all get together for a run IRL. A few have been able to meet up at races and such but I would love to see a bunch of us meet somewhere too. I know @Elise4270 was trying at one time (maybe a few times) to get us all to go to Hawaii and meet up with @HonuNui

No run for me to close out the month. I planned to get out this morning but it is just too hot again. So I did not meet my 100 mile goal. With the previous heat and smoke I had many days of not running but still ended the month with just over 82 miles.
    I am, I must say, very envious of the great running weather and even rainy runs you all are enjoying. We have Excessive Heat Warnings again with temps over 108F where I live. Too hot really to do anything outside. I'm hoping it will cool down enough overnight that I can get out early in the morning for a run tomorrow to start the month. See you all in October!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    I'm in for 75 miles this month.

Finished at 82.64 miles (133 km) for the month.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Sept total: 57.3/60 miles

9/2: 3.5 miles
    9/3: 3.5 miles
    9/5: 4.7 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles
    9/9: 3.3 miles
    9/11: 3.1 miles
    9/12: 3.7 miles
    9/14: 3.5 miles
    9/15: 4.3 miles
    9/18: 3.5 miles
    9/19: 4.8 miles
    9/22: 4.4 miles
    9/23: 3.5 miles
    9/27: 3.2 miles
    9/28: 3 miles
    9/29: 3.1 miles

That's it for September! Got pretty close to my goal, so I'll take it. I just read through almost 145 comments to get caught up, so everyone who had a race gets a congrats!

@quilteryoyo I hope your surgery goes smoothly!

@WandaVaughn I was thinking about what my old self would think of me new just the other day. It's amamzing how much things can change in just a few years, isn't it!?

Re: running safety. Reading through everyone's comments made me realize how good I have it. I've never felt unsafe anywhere that I run, which is about 98% within my neighborhood. That said, I do try to be aware and make eye contact with those who pass me. I'm one of those annoying runners who says "morning!" to everyone as I go. And I don't do isolated trails in the dark, though like someone else said, that is just as much a falling and hurting myself risk as a safety risk. I've only gotten a couple of catcalls from a passing car and no one on the road with me has ever said anything or tried to follow me. I have noticed a couple of cars slow down as they pass (I'm on a sidewalk usually), and I look at them just so they know I see them. My list of concerns definitely puts cars first (since I've almost been hit a few times now) followed by dogs, especially the little yippy ones that never seem to be on a short leash.

See you in October.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Fell short of my goal for Sept.

exercise.png
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,436 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone that made goal, and the ones that got close. Close enough is good enough here 😁

Wow @rheddmobile that cut sounds horrible. But sounds like you took good care of it. I'm sure you will be fine 😊 And that hawk pic is fantastic!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,963 Member
    Options
    @shanaber My Tippy is 7 years old. I like to think she still acts like a puppy, but she does spend a little more time sleeping and laying around than she used to and I've noticed some extra fur is white. She's getting grey, like her momma. LOL As for your personal safety, I'm glad you were aware of your surroundings and alerted others to the weird man following you. It can be scary for anyone these days.

@polskagirl01 I have those odd feelings sometimes too. Glad you didn't wind up in a horror movie...that building looks a little spooky to me. Yeah for meeting your goal.

@Camaramandy648 "Then she said she wants a whole new wardrobe. That's cute. I'd still like her room to be clean.:)" I laughed out loud. You are a great mom.

@WandaVaughn Congratulations on making your goal!

@kgirlhart Glad you had such a great run. Yes, I'm really glad dad has the VA. They have been so good to him and are on top of things. I am eligible to go, but have good healthcare through my AF retirement and really like my PCP. If he ever quits or move, I'll probably transfer to the VA.

Great run @RunsOnEspresso !

@hamsterwheel6 Great time for you 10K!

@rheddmobile You did great in September. Too bad about not feeling safe to run on the Greenway. It looks like such a nice place to run. Love the hawk picture. Hope your finger heals quickly.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber Those temperatures are awful. I hope it cools down some for you soon.

Congratulations to all who met their October goal and also to those who got out there and did what they could. You still lapped all of your friends that were sitting on the couch. :smiley:

I just took an easy walk, not fast enough for me to count it, after work today. So, I didn't make my goal for the month...I finished 61.6/70 miles run and 14/20 miles walked, I think. I'm okay with that.

I have lots of people who are concerned about me running with the aneurysm. The doctor had told me it was okay, but now I am worried. I tried to call the nurse to talk to her, but she hasn't returned my call. So, my plan is to just not push it. I will walk when I can and still plan to get out and do an easy 3 miles on days I don't work or play tennis. I'll just make sure my HR doesn't get too high as I assume that would also be an indicator of increased blood pressure. On to October.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile welcome to my September sliced finger club. Somewhat comforting that it wasn’t a club of one, but also my condolences on club membership.

My desire to avoid government paperwork combined with my desire to avoid medical situations also led to me going for hope and self care route, also. But, even for my usual doctor avoiding self, it was bad enough that medical attention crossed my mind, which likely means it was pretty bad, along with the aftermath my newbie employee encountered AFTER I thought I had cleaned it up.
    My one suggestion....Once I got it under control a bit, new skin/superglue plus bandages were my friend. (Because in the world of liberal hand sanitizer use, I PROMISE you that you want that sealed layer from the new skin or super glue!!!)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    The Garmin heat map shows you your pace, changing from blue to red based on your speed. It is all relative to THAT specific run. So usually mine is blue when starting, then ends red as I finish. I think it is interesting and useful.

Well, that's what I thought it was supposed to be too, relative within the same run, but then some are all red and there's this run that is all blue:
    jgis1ht6689e.png

Tonight's workout made more sense and had the full spectrum of colors.

@polskagirl01 - ooh creepy. Kind of like my "clown murder trail" here. Something compelling about it but creeps you out at the same time.

@rheddmobile sorry about your finger! I was also worried about what might be under that spoiler, but I would have looked for sure.

Now I've lost track of where I am in posts so congrats to all who got out there this month. @quilteryoyo you got ahead of yourself. October hasn't happened yet!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 3.1
    09/02/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 6.6
    09/03/20 :::: 1.9 :::: 8.4
    09/04/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 11.6
    09/05/20 :::: 7.5 :::: 19.1
    09/06/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 20.6
    09/07/20 :::: 2.2 :::: 22.8
    09/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 26.0
    09/09/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 30.0
    09/10/20 :::: 5.2 :::: 35.2
    09/11/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 38.5
    09/12/20 :::: 8.6 :::: 47.0
    09/13/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 50.4
    09/14/20 :::: 5.1 :::: 55.5
    09/15/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 57.6
    09/16/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 59.9
    09/17/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 61.7
    09/18/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 63.5
    09/19/20 :::: 8.5 :::: 72.0
    09/20/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 75.1
    09/21/20 :::: 4.4 :::: 79.5
    09/22/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 81.8
    09/23/20 :::: 3.8 :::: 85.6
    09/24/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 87.6
    09/25/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 90.6
    09/26/20 :::: 9.0 :::: 99.6
    09/27/20 :::: 2.5 :::: 102.1
    09/28/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 106.1
    09/29/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 107.6
    09/30/20 :::: 4.6 :::: 112.2 of 100 mile goal, 288 days running streak

Tonight was group speedwork and the workout was 30 minutes of hill repeats. I knew that's what it was going to be and I really didn't want to go because that is a long, tough workout. By the time we do warmup and cooldown we're out there forever. But I finally decided I wasn't going to get any productive work done tonight anyway so I better just go and at least accomplish a good running workout. It was a nice night and as always I was glad when it was done.

See you all in October!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I've never had one that is only one color. They usually have 2-3 colors.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Faebert wrote: »
    @noblsheep hahahahahaha I guess it is interesting. Also stressful. Also the reason I run. Also wouldn't trade it for a single thing. :)

@Faebert I WANT TO RUN THERE!

@Camaramandy648 Do it!! Come to London! In fact, you all should. We’ll have a big group run and I will make cake for everyone!

Would be so nice if we could all have a giant meet up and run together...

Unfortunately, I don't think those of us who are from the USA are permitted to travel to the UK.

Oh I know, and I’ve lost track of where us Brits are currently allowed to go as it changes all the time. It was more of a wistful ‘one day’ kind of thing.

But @shanaber I like the idea of a Hawaii plan!! That sounds much better to me... 😎 ☀️ 😉

Happy first of the month. I’ll head over to October now
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Reposting for anyone who needs the link :)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    No run for me last night. I was so exhausted that I wasn’t able to do anything productive.

Ouch, @rheddmobile!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @katharmonic Maybe I subconsciously just want Oct to be over. LOL