*real beef?

Options

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The stuff at the grocery store isn't real beef??

What if I don't know anyone with a cow???
    Real cows say moo, grocery store cows say μ.

haha, I laughed at that way more than I should've

glad I wasn't the only one! I'm getting funny looks from coworkers. lmao this thread killed me!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    OP....I hope you are finding humor in this thread. It's funny. I hope you see why you got the reaction you got. not sure your intention but you came of as pretentious. You could of worded your question so many ways and you chose to call the beef you got from a friend *real as if grocery store beef is fake, and somehow bad for you. not to mention calling food from the store crap. I hope you continue your journey toward health.
    But then I happen to also think a lot of beef in supermarkets is crap. Added steroids, hormones, antibotics, poor feed. That all is pretty crappy IMO.

Um.......no.

It's no different than the 1/2 beef I get every year from the farm.

I didn't say it was the ONLY crappy beef.

So it's all crappy? Cuz it's all the same.

No, it's not.

LOL, OK.

With antibiotics and w/o is not the same. With steroids and w/o is not the same. Different diets = not the same. Same = same.

So, when I get a beef from the herd at the farm, it's different than the same beef that goes to the supermarket...cuz that's what I said. They're not loaded up with steroids, sorry.

I know you must be in farming too though, I mean to have such an extensive and working knowledge.

And what I said is I think a lot of beef sold in supermarkets is crap. It has nothing to do with what you get from the farm. All beef is not the same.

Weird, cuz what I get from the farm is the same that goes to the market.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    **wall of text removed**

And what I said is I think a lot of beef sold in supermarkets is crap. It has nothing to do with what you get from the farm. All beef is not the same.

ALL of the meat in the market comes from this farm? ALL of it? Seriously? That is one big *kitten* farm.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

ALL of the meat in the market comes from this farm? ALL of it? Seriously? That is one big *kitten* farm.

You're doing a lot of assuming.

Does it, no, but you're assuming that market beef is all hopped up, when really...it's not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Anybody know how the calories stack up for unprocessed "real" beef (as in, NOT grocery store crap, but stuff from my friend's butchered cow?) I know it's way less greasy when I cook it.
    Lol, the grocery store beef is real. Don't want the fat, trim it off or buy leaner cuts of beef.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If it's less greasy, it has less fat, which means it's probably just a better cut of meat than what you normally buy (ground chuck vs. filet mignon, for example).

The calories should be the same.

If it's got less fat and the cut is better, likely, the calories are NOT the same, as less fat usually means less calories (unless it's a product where sugar is added to compensate for taste.)
    Isn't that what she said?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Actually, grass fed beef has health benefits that conventionally fed beef ( they eat primarily grains, corn, etc.) does not have.

Less total fat
    More heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids
    More conjugated linoleic acid, a type of fat that's thought to reduce heart disease and cancer risks
    More antioxidant vitamins, such as vitamin E

OP, were you asking about grass-fed beef?

Mayo Clinic. True Story.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Actually, grass fed beef has health benefits that conventionally fed beef ( they eat primarily grains, corn, etc.) does not have.

Less total fat
    More conjugated linoleic acid, a type of fat that's thought to reduce heart disease and cancer risks

Mayo Clinic. True Story.

Exactly. Grass-fed beef IS typically leaner and more nutritious. The food bank is full of options, try doing a search on "grass fed beef" and the name of the cut and see what you can find.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    LOL

Grocery store cows say μ, "I'm so glad someone understands!", antibiotics don't have calories.... golden. thanks guys.

eta: Forgot the "it doesn't have a cut, it's ground beef". what a gem! A+ thread
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Calorie free shots to everyone for each time someone says beef in this thread.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Less total fat

Mayo Clinic. True Story.

Yep.

Beef that you find in the little white trays at supermarkets comes nearly 100% of the time from CAFOs - concentrated animal feeding operations (feedlots) where they are fed a ground grain mixture laced with antibiotics to keep them from getting sick on a diet that they're NOT evolved to eat. Cattle evolved to eat grasses, not grains, and their rumens don't handle a grain diet well.

CAFOs exist because they can get a steer ready for the butcher in half the time or so than it would take to finish a steer on grass. Less time invested in the animal means more profit per animal. Unfortunately, in addition to the environmental and ethical problems that CAFOs cause, they also create an inferior meat product that's not nearly as nutritious or tasty as beef finished completely on grass.

I'm the last person to tell you that beef isn't good for you, because it is. But shop wisely. If supermarket beef is your only beef option, then go for the cuts with "loin" in the name. Flank steak is a good choice, too. Those cuts tend to be a lot lower in fat than other cuts. As much as I love a good ribeye, it's not really on the list of beef cuts that are tops for weight loss.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Beef is when your mom ain't safe up in these streets
  • TheSlorax
    Options

Less total fat

Mayo Clinic. True Story.
    As much as I love a good ribeye, it's not really on the list of beef cuts that are tops for weight loss.

wat

I eat ribeye on the regular.......
  • Quieau
    Options
    Grass fed organic beef IS good for you but the stuff in supermarkets that is grain fed is really questionable. Grain fed beef is so caustic that the manure of the cattle burns the metal trailers they are transported in ... ! (Recently had this discussion on FB when someone posted a snapshot of a sign in a cattle trailer saying that since the grain formula had changed, the trailers must be rinsed weekly lest the cow **** burn through the metal!) ... not all beef is created equal. Mainstream beef = Omega 6's and Grassfed beef = Omega 3's ... there are LOTS of reasons to avoid beef that is grain fed, but to each his own.

I personally eat less beef in quantity so that I can afford the quality my body deserves. For ME, that means grass-fed, free range, antibiotic and hormone free and ethically raised. Lucky for me, there is a store nearby where I can get that kind of quality more affordably than most areas in the country. I encourage any meat eaters to take a look at where your meat comes from, how it is raised and what sorts of medicines and feed are used.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

well...this is going to lead to a drunken Friday Eve.....:drinker:
  • Quieau
    Options
  • TheSlorax
    Options

I wasn't going to say anything to your initial post because it's cool if you wanna think that about cow manure (which is bs, pardon the pun, if you've ever been to a dairy/anywhere they raise beef cows) but...... that is your source???? Really?
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options

well...this is going to lead to a drunken Friday Eve.....:drinker:

As it should, my friend.
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Less total fat

Mayo Clinic. True Story.
    As much as I love a good ribeye, it's not really on the list of beef cuts that are tops for weight loss.

wat

I eat ribeye on the regular.......

I love ribeye. It's an awesome cut. But it's got higher fat content than some other cuts, like sirloin or flank steaks.

You can work around it by eating grass-finished beef OR if you have to buy supermarket beef, getting "select" rather than "choice" grade and trimming all visible fat from the steak. It still won't be a sirloin... but it'll taste like a ribeye.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, when I get a beef from the herd at the farm, it's different than the same beef that goes to the supermarket...cuz that's what I said. They're not loaded up with steroids, sorry.

I know you must be in farming too though, I mean to have such an extensive and working knowledge.

Are you buying from a farm or a feed lot?

If at the feed lot, then yeah, what you are getting isn't really different, if at the farm, and your cow never gets to a feed lot then it is different from the bulk of the cow available at the market.

Feed lots are concentration areas where they "finish" a cow because we as a people prefer a certain level of fat. The introduction of hormones occurs at this time in order to speed some musculature growth up to decrease time to market, and due to bringing all those cows together you have to use a good dose of antibiotics constantly up to the week prior to slaughter.

So it's a bit different.

I'd hazard to guess that you're buying before the feed lot, and getting quality meat, stuff that would never show up at a Safeway/Albertson's/Piggly Wiggly/Walmart/ Market Basket. What you are getting is probably what I'd find at the butcher shops around here, since they buy directly from local ranchers.

ETA - and I see you were saying it was different, so I just wrote a bunch of things to agree with you. Excellent.