October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Unless you are a rabbit the bobcats aren’t all that scary, they are super shy. I grew up on a farm with bobcats on the property and only once saw one, although we often heard them screaming in the mornings! They sound like human women, it’s freaky.

@skippygirlsmom The sleeves are Decathlon. I tend to forget Decathlon even exists but everything I’ve bought from them was inexpensive but good quality.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @rheddmobile Sounds like a great run. That is an awesome trail. Love all the wildlife that you see. We have bobcats around here too and you are right about their calls - very eerie.

@kgirlhart Smart to not run in those conditions. I would probably wait until Thursday, but then I'm a wimp. :lol:

@Avidkeo Yeah for no pain for a week!!! You are doing so good with your rehab. I hope the Physio lets you add in more running days. I think I would just make sure to not step on those beasties. ;)

@skippygirlsmom I don't know if those people are on this forum or not. I got a request, and accepted it, from Arrowj653, but he hasn't really posted anything, except that he is now friends with lots of people. His profile is completely hidden too, so I'm thinking about deleting him - seems a little fishy to me. He sent me a few messages that were overly complementary, so I am thinking he is stalking for women. BTW, I just put him in the search area of this forum and he doesn't show up. I'm going to go over and delete him as a friend.

Those fires are awful @shanaber ! Hope you all stay safe and the air quality improves soon!

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile That's really good to know.   I've been told there is a bobcat near where I run on Sundays,  but I've never seen it. 

@quilteryoyo. I think I am going to wimp out again tomorrow and try for Thursday. 😊

@shanaber Those fires sound awful.  Stay safe!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo That is great news! You've got this!

@Scott6255 Congratulations on meeting your goal for the month! Awesome!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Glad your quad is feeling good today. That is an interesting CoVID rule. Humm. Makes you scratch your head.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart @rheddmobile Agreed, bobcats are not a concern. They are small (15-40 lbs... about the size of a large house cat, sometimes slightly larger, rarely to they get to 40, but possible). And they are wild cats, so generally afraid of humans and will hide if they know you are nearby. The only wild cats that attack humans routinely as prey are tigers in the Sunderbans region. Other wild cats only rarely attack people, and only when they are threatened and feel like they have no choice. The recent cougar video from UT, for example, was protecting her cubs from a runner who got to close. Even then, she chased him off rather than attack.

I have only seen a bobcat in the wild once. It was in GA and was very far away. It crossed the dirt road I was hiking on and stopped halfway when it noticed me in the distance. Then it decided to scurry off into the deep growth and I never saw it when I looked into the woods when I reached that point. It was probably hiding and saw me, though... likely wanted to make sure I wasn't a threat. Usually they do that without ever being seen in the first place.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    10/1 – 5.23 miles
    10/3 – 21.06 miles
    10/5 – 6.08 miles
    10/7 – 5.18 miles
    10/8 – 5.11 miles
    10/10 – 15.06 miles
    10/13 – 8.33 miles
    10/15 – 5.51 miles
    10/17 – 8.20 miles
    10/20 – 5.08 miles
    10/22 – 5.43 miles
    10/25 – 26.25 miles
    10/28 – 5.01 miles
    Goal – 125 miles/121.53 miles to date

I got out for a very slow 5 mile run around 6:30 this morning. It was rather cloudy but the skyline was a beautiful pink and blue with the sun trying to peak through the clouds. Three hours later and it’s currently completely cloudy and misting a light rain. Monthly goal is in sight!

@shanaber – Those conditions sound horrible and very scary for residents and animals in the area. I read this morning that two firefighters were critically injured fighting this one. Very sad indeed. Stay safe.

@Avidkeo – Yay for healing progress!

@rheddmobile – Love those sleeves! I remembering having a big discussion here last year about all the reasonably priced running goodies sold at Decathlon but I've never ordered anything from them.

I’ve never encountered a bobcat but appreciate everyone sharing their insights! Pretty sure I would tuck tail and turn in the opposite direction if I saw one!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Glad your dad's operation went well! I hope you are able to talk to him soon. Sounds like he still had his sense of humor. Waiting for results is so hard. I will keep you all in my prayers. Great job on racing the virtual HM.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/1 – 6 miles
    10/2 – 9 miles
    10/3 – 6 miles intervals with Champ
    10/4 – 4 with Champ
    10/5 – rest day
    10/6 – 6 miles
    10/7 – 5 miles with Champ
    10/8 – 3.13 miles
    10/9 – 13.1 Oak Barrel Virtual Half Marathon
    10/10 – 2 miles recovery
    10/11 – 6 miles
    10/12 – 6 miles
    10/13 – 4 miles with Skip and Champ and Miss Ann
    10/14 – 0 life took over day
    10/15 – 6 miles
    10/16 – 0 life took over today – again
    10/17 – 9 miles
    10/18 – 5 miles of the Wade Mountain 10K trail race
    10/19 – 3 with Champ
    10/20 – 6 miles
    10/21 – 4 with Champ
    10/22 – 5 miles
    10/23 – 3 miles with Champ
    10/24 – 13.1 Bridge Street Virtual Half Marathon
    10/25 – 4 miles recovery with Champ
    10/26 – unplanned rest – work
    10/27 – 5 miles
    10/28 – 4 miles

137 (139.22) of 115 miles

Thanks @rheddmobile I’ll check them out
    @quilteryoyo thanks I’ll delete the requests I didn’t want to ignore them if they were someone here
    Stay safe @shanaber
    @Avidkeo glad to hear you are able to get some running time in.
    @scott6255 great job on goal
    @eleanorhawkins glad dad’s operation went well

Races:
    287 of 335 miles Pinhoti Trail Challenge done
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July - done
    ISS Virtual 5K in July – done
    Jackalope Trail Run 4 miler – done
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach – done
    Scooby Doo Virtual 10K - done
    Skunk Ape 5 miler August 1 trail race in person – done
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – August – done
    Chupacabra 10K/HM – August 22 - done
    Running of the Bulls Virtual 5K – 9/14 – 30/2020 - done
    The Pinhoti Trail Challenge 335 miles virtual – 1 Sept to 31 Dec – 133 miles done
    2020 Liberty Road Challenge WWII soldiers journey from St. Mere Eglisde to Bastogne, Belgium – charity virtual run for the WII museum in New Orleans 716 miles team event 4 July – September – our team has finished
    Space Race 400K Challenge 12 weeks running 248.5 miles to the ISS – August to November – 194 miles done
    Bridge Street HM Virtual – 10/24 – 11/7/2020
    Yuletide Madness Oct 31 – Dec 31 2020
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – running virtual - done
    Cathedral Caverns 15K trail race – in person

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo, I forgot to reply to your question about a half in four months. Do it. Each time I did my calf was in November, but by March (four months) I was back up to speed. Your already at my January. Just take it slowly and carefully over the next month - basically, keep doing what you're doing. You'll be raring to go in December!

Which one are you doing?