WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Children - My girls and I chat several times a week through text, Snapchat or FB Messenger. We share our lives and what we are doing with each other. I see my youngest closer to monthly and my eldest and her children almost weekly. It is a blessing and I don't take it for granted.

Allie - Is Jean afraid of showering her Mom, I would not be comfortable doing that at all. Part of our pandemic plan at work is to assist in feeding if we are down care staff. I am praying that it doesn't come to that as I am not comfortable doing that either. Ouch Allie, hope nothing serious.

Barbara - The texting before calling is what my friends and I do too. If the phone just rings out of the blue now my heart races because it must be something terrible important. It's such a shame.

Fae- My daughter's friend here has started fostering dogs when needed. The local shelters run out of room and need housing for them. All medical costs, foods, etc are covered you just have a pet to love for a while. Maybe that is an idea for you to try to see if you want one full time. I've been thinking about it because I'm not sure I'm up for it full time myself.

Barbie - What these scammers don't think of. It is infuriating how technology was supposed to help so much, but has put us all at risk. I wish I had a recorder in my house too. I'm sure there are times it would prove me wrong as well, but it would be worth it.

I am at work today and should get at it. I just want the day to be over, I'm tired and don't want to be here today.
    Tomorrow I am going to my youngest daughters so she can dye can trim my hair. I think Sunday I will see if my eldest and grandkids want to come out for the day. I will have to go pick them up as she isn't able to drive yet, but she can probably use a break. She is very down right now because all of her cleaning and organizing has been destroyed since she is to be off her feet. Her husband and kids aren't cleaning up and putting things away properly. I don't blame her and I think they all need a boot in the @$$, husband included.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Fae, Have you seen the Crones of Anarchy! Facebook page?

Karen in Virginia

Karen
    Not until you mentioned it. I visited their website and what I could see of their FB without reactivating my account. I have never been a group joiner. I have been very independent in every way since the loss of my baby (50 years ago) and the revelations of my vison quest honoring my ancestors and time living in the mountains It looked interesting, but way too many rules for an advanced year's women's anarchy group IMO. Hard to rebel against authority when they become the authority, hahaha! One of the sayings handed down in my family from my American Indian heritage was, "Speak your mind, even if your legs are shaking." Way too much censorship on FB and groups claiming to be free speech. Too many judging others when they don't like being judged.

I like this site and thread because of the fitness and health focus as we age. Fitness is a lifestyle for me. I like all the different ideas I have gotten from the over 3 months I have been here. I love the group's diversity, kindness, and sharing. So refreshing to be among ladies that share the common goal of bettering themselves.

Check out this spoiler for motivation.
    Here is a link to a story about how in a town east of me, back in the day, the ladies didn't yell, scream, march, protest, or claim victimhood, they met, they planned, and they won. A must-read for all women. It all started because the male leaders refused to pen the chickens crapping all over the boardwalks and the women were freaking tired of their petticoats dragging in it. All of you ladies with uncooperative hubbies might get some ideas. My great-great and great-grandma took over the ranch legally when my GG grandpa became a drunk and a gambler. That was the Late 1800's.
    https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/63262/laura-starcher-and-petticoat-revolution-1916

Fae from a family of No S___ kind of gals

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Fae - my elder son has just put this on Facebook. I guess the pose and the outfit are a bit of a joke judging by the comments. I thought you might like to see the pizza oven behind him (obscured by pine branches) that he built himself. :D

0diy12rxw3g7.jpg

The two retired greyhounds that he adopted saved his life and the rescue organisation pays all the bills. One of them has had some bad accidents. :o They also board them for free when you need to go away.
    It's the only way I get to see him these days
    - Facebook and YouTube.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I had a success with my phone! Yay! The music player quit working and I was able to replace it despite being near the storage limit. So I still have music for my workout.

For weight loss, it seems like I don't lose at 1200 calories. Probably because my life is so sedentary. Hmm. Only two things to do: eat less or move more!

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Machka - New exhibition at the Design Museum about the designer of our road signs.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/oct/23/doyenne-of-design-how-margaret-calvert

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,952 Member
    Options
    Debbie - my Dad and I talked every week we had a date on Saturday nights as that was the cheapest long distance rates. When he took sick thankfully long distance rates were a thing of the past and we talked nightly. After Dad passed I talked to Mom three or four times a week until she went into the nursing home.
    I quit buying Christmas presents for the nieces and nephew on my husbands side a few years ago, they are adults and he agreed with my decision for the same reason no acknowledgement. I do still buy for my brothers son as he just turned 16 and he appreciates the gifts and lets me know it. It’s usually just a little trinket, or Christmas ornament.
    I decided years ago that I would regret not calling and touching base, and although it hurts that no one reaches out to me I at least know that I’ve done my part.
    I find nowadays people don’t just pick up a phone and call, it has to be prearranged to call. It’s just weird.

Michele - we can wear whatever costume we like as long as we are respectful that we work in a Faith based home and can wear our surgical masks. I have been given permission to paint my scarecrows mouth on my mask as well.
    I hope that you get to celebrate Thanksgiving with Jess.

Machka - I have customized my FB feed as well. We have a FB business page for our crafts which I mostly update around Christmas.
    I have unfollowed all of the groups and then just go look at them when I have time.

Katla - isn’t it great when we can get an immediate appointment for something or other.

I had my flu shot today and my arm is very sore tonight. I’ve taken some Advil and hopefully that helps for sleeping.

I have asked my family to give me a Dolly Christmas. I told them I didn’t care if that was all that was under the tree. I am a huge Dolly Parton fan and she has a lot happening this year. Time Life has a whole set, 35 hours of her life and career. She has a new book that is 170 of her songs where she writes what was happening in her life as she wrote the song and last but not least she has a new Christmas album out.

I guess I should head to bed, last night was the first night in 2 weeks that DH has slept with me. He managed to sleep until 3am. He had his ultrasound today and is feeling better tonight. I hope that doesn’t mean that nothing shows in the ultrasound and we have to wait for another attack.

I’m so happy tomorrow is Friday it has been a crappy week at work again.

Tracey in Edmonton

what is the name of Dolly's book- sounds very interesting.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Tracey- its fine... she has a shower bench and its not to hard though i have to have her swivel to get her feet into the tub..
    Then she will nap.. i took some tylenol to take the edge off of the soreness ..
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    This week is National Bird Week and each National Bird Week they do a backyard bird count. I've never done it but something an ABC Classic FM presenter said made me think that I might do it. He said he sat in the backyard for 20 minutes just focusing on the birds he could see. Nothing else. Not the pandemic, economy, things to do, etc. etc. ... just look for and watching birds. And he felt refreshed after. Meditation and I don't get along, but the idea of just focusing on the birds is appealing.

https://aussiebirdcount.org.au/
    https://www.birdlife.org.au/get-involved/whats-on/bird-week

Do you have a national bird week and backyard bird count in your country?

M in Oz

We do not have a bird count that I know about, but time passes quickly and quietly when we are just sitting in the yard watching birds, squirrels, spiders, raccoons, opossums, skunks, lizards, and whatever other creature visits the yard. It is relaxing.

Tina in CA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    M they do a bird count here in February.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜💙💚💛🧡
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited October 2020
    Options
    They do a bird count every year here. Plus a butterfly count. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Lanette- I live in Halloween Town AND I wear a mask every day if I’m out in public. Been doing that for months now. Unfortunately, I recently bought Halloween Candy for trick or treaters and I’ve been eating a bit of it myself. NOT a good strategy. :embarassed: Just so you know, I am NOT planning to try chocolate covered brussels sprouts. :noway:

Tracey & Debbie- I don’t visit facebook very often. I have good relationships with my adult children and one cousin. I also have a good relationship with our niece and my SIL—even if we are voting for opposite sides in the November election. :ohwell:

Machka- Belated Happy Wombat Day. :wink: It is hard to imagine Christmas during the summer time. I history, the actual birth of Our Lord was most likely in the middle of summer in Egypt. Snow in Bethlehem seems very unlikely. Just my view of it. :star:

Tracey in Edmonton- It is indeed amazing and rare when we can get an immediate appointment for anything other than medical emergencies. The dog visits to the groomer are scheduled every two weeks as long as he keeps waking up in the mornings. :wink: I saw Ice Road Truckers last night for the first time this season. Some of those daredevils were crossing lake ice with heavy loads that would scare me to death. :noway:

Mary from MN/AZ- We heard from JR’s Mom just yesterday! You’ve probably seen the post by now. :bigsmile:

Barbara- I hope you’re well rested by now. :flowerforyou: Regarding Halloween candy—I ate enough that I had to buy more. :embarrased. We are unlikely to have more than a few trick-or-treaters. :ohwell:

(((Allie)))- Sorry to hear about your fall. :star:

Fae- I agree with you about facebook. I rarely visit there. I far prefer facetime and Zoom with loved ones. :ohwell:

Heather- Your son is a handsome man. I’m happy that he’s in the company of dogs. They are great companions. :heart:

Tina- We don’t participate in a bird count on any official level. We have regular Osprey who come to our part of the river every summer to nest and raise a family. We look forward to their arrival. They leave here and go South for the winter. We have year around resident Blue Herons, and migratory ducks and geese that start far north from here and end up spending winters here. Arctic Swans winter in some roadside ponds a few miles west of here. We also have a tribe of Annas Hummingbirds that live in blackberry bramble at the edge of our property all year around. We have sugar water bird feeders for them all year around. It is a pleasure to see them at our windows.

Our dog had a very bad night last night, and it is very likely all my fault. I fed him some leftover meatloaf containing ketchup. He can’t have any tomato products. I didn’t know about his allergy to it, but I do now. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Cold morning 3-mile walk at 30 degrees F. I put the new top to the test and it was amazing! Three layers on top and leggings with stretch heavyweight mom jeans over for bottoms. Knit hat, gloves, with the new top mask in place and I was just right. It was refreshing and invigorating.

Fae giving thanks this very morning she was born female and not a male brass monkey
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    I think Audubon does a Christmas Bird count.. my mom and grandparents used to do it..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    No workout yesterday, went and spent most of the day visiting mom
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Lanette ... not Halloween themed, but another 2020 Meme ...
    rwvqsmardwgf.jpg

Beth
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Annie - I don’t lose at 1200 easily either but when I go over by 100 or so I tend to lose. Go figure.

Debbie - Dolly’s book is called Songteller.

I have locked myself out of my computer at work. Frustrating.