WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did Bikini Boot Camp DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Body By Bethany DVD (yoga)

Allie
    – OUCH

Tracey
    – the reason you lose when you go over on calories is probably because you’re confusing your system, one day up, one day down. It doesn’t know what to expect.

Got a call from the hospital yesterday to set up an appt for my Prolia. So I’ll go next Tuesday. I thought I needed a new prescription from the md but they tell me that I don’t

TSO is having a virtual concert this year so I asked Lynette if she and Ken would like to go to dinner then come here to watch the concert. It’s on a Friday. She said that they’d have to skip the dinner since companies will be having their parties. In this Covid setting? I know what it is…she wants to skip dinner in case she’s invited to a party. But I don’t know if companies will have parties. I know Newcomers has already cancelled their party. They’re going to have an “open house” at the airport. Personally, I would like it to be somewhere besides the airport.

Volunteered at the soup kitchen today then came home and helped Vince put out the stakes for the “fence” for the decorations. As we were out there, I overheard this little girl who was walking by saying “they always have such nice Halloween decorations”. Then she asked her mother “do you think they’re putting them up?” I told Vince this hoping it’ll spur him on to decorate more. We need it. Everyone.

I’ll probably work on some of the crochet towel toppers. The cats don’t seem to bother me while I’m doing the jigsaw puzzle so I told Vince that he should help me and see if they leave it alone. So far, he hasn’t Update: made one towel topper (just need to put the button on it) then worked a bit on the puzzle. I find that if I work for just a little bit, many times the piece I'm looking for is right in front of me.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Katla- may i suggest Vermont Country Store.. check them out online.. they might have something like what you are looking for.
    Geesh I got a disagree for the Christmas Bird count.. honest I thought there at least used to be one.

That disagree button needs to be moved. When using a phone and scrolling it can be hit so easily without even knowing you hit it. I wouldn’t take it to heart at all.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Karen Oh! Oh! Oh! :love:

Woke up at 1.37 with my nose streaming and sneezing. :# Decamped upstairs and streamed until gone 4. :s DH must have passed on the cold he must have caught from the kids. He probably got a bit too close to Bea. Shows how easy it is. :o Good thing is, this is definitely a head cold, but it could have been something else. Must be more careful. I might ask to Zoom them this weekend. Cases going up around here, though still well below the national average.

Bit the bullet last night and texted the decorator to come and estimate for the hall, toilet and bottom stairs, and landing and top stairs. We can divide it into two separate areas so we can spread the cost. He can't do it until next spring anyway as he is booked up until then. Gives us a chance to save up. He is very cheap, very good and very nice. He will pop in next week to see it. I think it’s lovely to have a welcoming hall area. Ours is hideous, with various terrible paint jobs where they just painted around the wardrobe! :noway: There seem to be defunct telephone wires everywhere as well.
    I'm going to wait until the summer to get the floor sanded as we will have to go out for the day. ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I took yesterday off from work to get weekend shopping done prior to the weekend crowds. My car started acting funny, various warning lights going on and off, etc. I did not make my first destination. I ended turning the car around to research what may be in need of repair. If I am correct I need a new alternator. Car repair costs are so expensive here I figure it's a $1k repair. It is probably less but I do need two new tires, an oil change, a power steering hose replacement (which will require a full drain of the power steering fluid with fluid replacement), and an air conditioner fan. I can replace the air conditioner/heat fan myself, but the rest of the items I cannot do. Engines are so darn tight now! One almost has to drop an engine for any type of repair. Oh, where are the 1980 models where the alternator required the removal of 3 bolts with an easy slip off and on?? The hardest thing back then was adjusting it so the belt would catch!!

After I returned home I let the car sit awhile and drove over to the local grocery store. It was still making the weird noise but no warning lights. I figure I have a week or two before I need to get it in the shop. Here is to hoping we get our full bonuses this quarter.

I am actually on the fence with getting Betsy the Beast repaired - she is a 2003 and is good for around the town, but I am not comfortable driving her more than 20 miles away from home. It has dampened my lifestyle.

Love all the memes and grand baby pictures! Keep them coming.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SuzieQ Sorry to hear about auto problems. Yes, I don't even attempt to work on my car. If it was the alternator your car would be dead once the battery ran down. Maybe just an alt bearing going bad that makes the noise, but that shouldn't cause warning lights to come on. With all the electronics that control our cars these days, it takes a computer to analyze them. It sounds like that car is ready for replacement.

Heather Last fall no one would have even paid attention to a head cold, but now it gets everyone's attention. Changing strange times. I think the viral threat is here to stay.

Michele Bikini boot camp DVD? That sounds like something I would be involved in. Were you wearing a bikini when you watched and worked with it?

Karen Super cuties!

Fae PWN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, Love all the pics of grand kids.

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Saturday -- the biggest day of the cycling events we're organising and we had a beautiful day. Gorgeous weather and great scenery.

I ended up spending a lot of time in the sun and got a bit of a tan ... first tan of the season!

Then I had a spa bath! First one in ages. Quite frankly, baths bore me but a little boredom is OK these days and the jets were great for my feet and the heat was great for my neck.

And when I emerged, we watched the AFL "Footy" Grand Final. My team did not win.

It'll be another early night because there is another day of cycling to organise.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I took yesterday off from work to get weekend shopping done prior to the weekend crowds. My car started acting funny, various warning lights going on and off, etc. I did not make my first destination. I ended turning the car around to research what may be in need of repair. If I am correct I need a new alternator. Car repair costs are so expensive here I figure it's a $1k repair. It is probably less but I do need two new tires, an oil change, a power steering hose replacement (which will require a full drain of the power steering fluid with fluid replacement), and an air conditioner fan. I can replace the air conditioner/heat fan myself, but the rest of the items I cannot do. Engines are so darn tight now! One almost has to drop an engine for any type of repair. Oh, where are the 1980 models where the alternator required the removal of 3 bolts with an easy slip off and on?? The hardest thing back then was adjusting it so the belt would catch!!

After I returned home I let the car sit awhile and drove over to the local grocery store. It was still making the weird noise but no warning lights. I figure I have a week or two before I need to get it in the shop. Here is to hoping we get our full bonuses this quarter.

I am actually on the fence with getting Betsy the Beast repaired - she is a 2003 and is good for around the town, but I am not comfortable driving her more than 20 miles away from home. It has dampened my lifestyle.

Love all the memes and grand baby pictures! Keep them coming.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ - SFL

SuziQ. Shoot! I hope your repairs are not too expensive. Both our cars had the wires chewed recently and cost us some money. So far only one car is repaired. But we bought the sonic/light deterrants and attached them under the hoods; keeping fingers crossed. Dang critters! The squirrels and other small critters have a bumper crop of acorns and spillover bird seed from our feeders, yet they still munch on our Coleus, outdoor furniture, kayaks, and wires in attics and under car hoods. Aaaargh!!

Karen in Virginia

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, recycling, Dollar Tree, BiMart, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, Pilot login fixed.
    Bonus: moved plant stuff and one tote out of guest room, emptied greenhouse.
    Get to do: strip guest bed and pack up bedding for donation, drag pictures, totes and boxes out of guest room into office for sorting, purging, veg prep, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Frisday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    23: 3 things that have gone well recently: cider pressing, we painted the deck, lead on bed donation.
    24: recognize I can choose priorities:

Lower body too tired and achy to dance at the port yesterday afternoon. Pooped out on Bible study too.

Fae Good on you for thinking deeply before making the lifetime commitment. There IS expense and effort involved and they never live long enough. On the bright side: https://thebark.com/content/portuguese-water-dogs-play-ball
    Barbie “… play back the recording “ made me laugh. Once Joe gets an idee fixee, not even hearing himself on tape would dislodge it ;)
    Katla both our male Skyes were sensitive to tomato products, and boy is that hard to clean up. :astonished:
    Beth I startled Joe by laughing out loud at the 2020 pinata!
    Katla there are some beautiful ceramic trivets on Etsy.
    Pip “made up for not working out yesterday” you are one determined gal! To be honest, after spending a day with Mama I’d be wiped out and need a nap.
    Karen :love: Olivia and Phoenix. What a miracle Olivia is!
    SuziQ good luck on the car decision.
    Lisa oh those Levi eyes! Hope your daughter and her hubs have a big baseball bat. ;)

Hips and knees still v. achy. Struggle to get out of chair. Heading for the hot tub.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 23, weigh: 22, steps>5491=8290 vits=23 log=23 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=18 Tumble & Shadow 5=24 mfp=23 outside=21 up hill=21
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=16 play= sew=0
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @dlfk202000
    I used to be the only one sending xmas and bd gifts, greetings, (complicated to send across the sea), but I finally stopped. I also have some grown (young adult) nieces and nephews that I sent gifts too and who never even acknowledged that. so I stopped after a while. I contributed 1000 dollars for one's first year in college and didn't even get an acknowledgement.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Tracey and @Barbara I agree it's sad but it's better to get space if not happy-making.

@Barbie, I've gotten that scam from time to time: cryptic mail saying don't try to call, my phone's not working, we are in trouble can you send some money. the 1st time was from a rather close friend who does travel, but who has no money issues and is very organised and would certainly contact many family members (one of her 3 siblings or one of her DH's 9 siblings, or their grown kids, etc etc.) before contacting me.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    thanks for all the kind thoughts!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, recycling, Dollar Tree, BiMart, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, Pilot login fixed.
    Bonus: moved plant stuff and one tote out of guest room, emptied greenhouse.
    Get to do: strip guest bed and pack up bedding for donation, drag pictures, totes and boxes out of guest room into office for sorting, purging, veg prep, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Frisday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    23: 3 things that have gone well recently: cider pressing, we painted the deck, lead on bed donation.
    24: recognize I can choose priorities:

Lower body too tired and achy to dance at the port yesterday afternoon. Pooped out on Bible study too.

Fae Good on you for thinking deeply before making the lifetime commitment. There IS expense and effort involved and they never live long enough. On the bright side: https://thebark.com/content/portuguese-water-dogs-play-ball
    Barbie “… play back the recording “ made me laugh. Once Joe gets an idee fixee, not even hearing himself on tape would dislodge it ;)
    Katla both our male Skyes were sensitive to tomato products, and boy is that hard to clean up. :astonished:
    Beth I startled Joe by laughing out loud at the 2020 pinata!
    Katla there are some beautiful ceramic trivets on Etsy.
    Pip “made up for not working out yesterday” you are one determined gal! To be honest, after spending a day with Mama I’d be wiped out and need a nap.
    Karen :love: Olivia and Phoenix. What a miracle Olivia is!
    SuziQ good luck on the car decision.
    Lisa oh those Levi eyes! Hope your daughter and her hubs have a big baseball bat. ;)

Hips and knees still v. achy. Struggle to get out of chair. Heading for the hot tub.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 23, weigh: 22, steps>5491=8290 vits=23 log=23 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=18 Tumble & Shadow 5=24 mfp=23 outside=21 up hill=21
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=16 play= sew=0

Yeah, I feel ya, moms tend to do that to u
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Snowflake- I think that Machka might know how to help with your locked-out computer. I refuse to set multiple passwords. There is no way I’d be able to set rotating passwords without going insane. That said, it is my computer, in my home and nobody uses it but me. :star:

Lanette- We had an invasion of hornets or wasps a few years ago. They crept through a crack under our garage roof where it meets the outside wall. We used RAID Wasp and Hornet spray in the evening while they were sleeping and thoroughly soaked their nest. After they went to hornet heaven, we removed the nest from our garage overhead storage area and sent the thing to the land fill. DH used caulking to close the crack under the garage roof for good. I love bees, but wasps and yellow-jackets are not on my good list. :noway:

Fae- Use measured scoops to dole out your food portions. If you need to inclreas one thing or another, use a scoop twice, Or use your lagest scoop plus a smaller one. I bought measured scoops at a restaurant supply store in Portland several years ago. They are great tools for portion control and much easier than weighing every bite on a food scale. :flowerforyou: I’m sorry for the loss of your family member. :broken_heart:

Allie- Thanks for the tip on the Vermont Country Store. I’ll take a look on-line. :star:

Fae- If I remember well, the Obamas had a Portuguese Water Dog while they were in the White House. I haven’t known anyone personally who is/was an owner of that breed. Good luck! So sorry for your loss. :broken_heart:

Barbara: Thanks for the tip on trivets. I’ll take a look on Etsy. DH shops there regularly. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Loving Levi. <3 He seems a happy chappy.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx