WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Sharon thank you for the up lifting message.

Rebecca love the close up.

I am one of the overly cautious about COVID because I got the Swine Flu after going to Mexico. I remember how sick that made me. I am still convinced that part of the reason I got it is my gut got messed up in Mexico and it made me more vulnerable. DH did not get it.

Our weather has been colder than normal and grey. Drew gets me out four times a day and I do think that has helped me. I did get her a lion costume and I plan to do a reverse Halloween. I have bags of pumpkins and cats ready to hand out to neighbors that usually give out tons of Halloween treats. I will dress up Drew and visit the neighbors.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    gdreeves

Yes! Barbie will start the November thread on the last evening of October.

Welcome to a great group of ladies!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Went out to breakfast with a friend and now hanging out with the pup's. Rainy ,yucky day out.. good day for hanging out
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Have my phone physio consultation tomorrow morning. That should be interesting 🤔🤔

Stay safe everyone

Kate UK ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - Yes, weird isn't it. I'm supposed to have a blood pressure consultation over the phone. :o
    No idea how that will work. I might do my home testing over the weekend as I have a machine, though they haven't mentioned it.
    Feeling more cheerful.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Here comes Halloween & I hope to treat or trick two households in our neighborhood by bringing candy to their doors. They’re the only families in our neighborhood with young children. I’ll wait to see if they come to our house. If they don’t come here, I’ll ring their doorbells. 🎃🎃
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Will this forum continue through november too? I just discovered it

This thread is an ongoing soiree!
    Fae Inspecting Hydrangeas
    a3o4sw5rxonp.jpg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s

Michele what is it about your fudge that isn’t “like the kind you get at the store”?
    Debbie love the list of your fudge variations, your recipe is much like mine, except I add some chopped, wrung out, maraschino cherries to my Rocky Road.. How much coconut do you use for your Mounds fudge? I do make dark chocolate coated English Toffee, but stopped making fruitcake when I finally realized I was the only one who liked it ;) Your toffee bars sound like my favorite “Matzoh Roca” :laugh: Would you share your caramel corn recipe? Can it be scaled down?

Missed taking the dogs down the drive, and playing their food games, as I was in Crescent City all afternoon.

Wiped out tired.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 28, weigh: 27, steps>5491=5660 vits=28 log=28 CI<CO=27 CI<250<CO=19 Tumble & Shadow 5=31 mfp=28 outside=26 up hill=25
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4 dance=1 clean 30 mins=8.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=18 play= sew=0

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/courtside-caramel-corn/
    This isn't exactly the one I have but very close- we cook ours for an hour(instead of 45min). I can't find my recipe pages- they are just typed paper hand out from the class. Thankfully, mom has a few extra copies at her house.
    https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/cracker-toffee-recipe
    This is like our toffee bars. It is so good and simple
    I had the recipe for about 30 or more years but never tried it because it sounded strange, then one year decided to try it(had everything I needed on hand and I LOVE almond roca). Now, mom and I make at least 10-15 batches of it. Do you use saltines or matzoh?
    For the fudge I just put in what ever amount looks good. We got a great deal on the coconut so decided to try it and was really good. You can use the sweetened but we like the dried unsweetened better, it doesn't need more sweet.
    The one combination I forgot to add was peppermint using white choc. chips and crushed candy cane. Very refreshing. Have not tried it with milk choc. or dark choc. but would be good(will have to try and remember it next month when we are making them.
    I am not a big fan of maraschino cherries but do have the mold and used to make the choc. covered cherries. My dad and now former hubby used to love them. Hubby would love it when I made them because he would get all the flops/"leakers"- Current husband likes them too but I have never made them for him.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

[

My walking buddy D is gone for a few days. I am amazed at how much spending an hour or so with a "close" (2 doors down) friend each day walking 2 miles has contributed to keeping my mental health on an even keel, especially since I've been pretty cut off from my lunch pals this summer. We have many common interests including a silly side and we truly have become best friends. A warped sense of humor and looking on the bright side is high on my list for a friend and she fits the bill. She is an unashamed troublemaker and we consider ourselves very lucky to have found each other, lol. :D

Lanette B)
    Pleasant SW WA State with the moon peeking out from the clouds. Glorious.

I just started walking with a neighbor friend(started out as one of my daycare parents, our boys became best friends at 1 yr old, now they are 22yrs old). This is our second week after many years of not doing, before we just went to the school and walked while the kids played. It is just an hour or so but it really does make a huge difference. We talk about the kids, complain about our husband's(because no one else wants to listen), and encourage each other, one more lap... She is the one that got me going to Zumba with her. We only went for 6 months until it got closed down but I really missed getting out of the house and getting my old body moving.
    Now we meet at the park at 5. I have been going early to get a few laps in before she gets there and look forward to it every day. Finally doing something for me and it feels good.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Speaking of baking, anyone watch/watching the Halloween baking challenge? I watched season 1 and half of the newest season. Awesome recipe ideas as well as decorating!

My friend wants me to help her bake today while watching that show. Lol (she’s 23 YO). Fun! My adopted child! :o

After 3 days of overcast, snow, sleet, and just plain yucky, a beautiful day today. Cool but sunny! My kind of weather. Just 3 days of bad weather and I feel depressed and aches from sitting in the camper not doing much. I’ll take the sun anyway!!

Going to do wash, and baking at my friend’s.

Later ladies!
    RvRita
    e01idhz8a45m.jpeg
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Here comes Halloween & I hope to treat or trick two households in our neighborhood by bringing candy to their doors. They’re the only families in our neighborhood with young children. I’ll wait to see if they come to our house. If they don’t come here, I’ll ring their doorbells. 🎃🎃

I am going to take a big (2 1/2lbs) bag of Jelly Bellys over to our neighbor next door for all their kids and then lock the gate- not doing the trunk or treat or handing candy out this year.
    Debbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    AHEM AHEM!

Our Allie has logged into this site, MFP, for 2000 days in a row! That is 5.47945205 years! I think that kind of dedication deserves recognition! I am lifting my cup of mocha to Allie. You rock girl!

XO Fae PNW
    u7ucfg8u2rkc.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    :)Allie, congrats on your 2000 days in a row. Knowing you has added so much to my life. You share honestly about your life and are always seeking a solution to what's not working for you.

:)Lisa and Heather, It's not that I compare my troubles to the troubles of others, but that I recognize what's right with my world and focus on gratitude for it. My pain diminishes in direct relationship to how much gratitude I cultivate.

:) I am currently reading a book called "Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung"---Inspiring stories for welcoming life's difficulties by Ajahn Brahm.

:) We solved the Halloween candy problem, by not buying any.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Awww you ladies are sooo sweet...even though I've only met Kevrit-RV Rita.
    I consider all of you dear friends and sisters
    Ya'll have helped me though alot over the years and I thank you all.
    Pip I think has alot more days in than i do.
    Right now im hanging with the pups and having a cup of twinings Christmas tea and watching Emergency.. it was a show on T.V. in the 70s ,we used to watch it as a family...
    Do any of you remember it? With cute Randy Mantooth lol