WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    So i got a call from endocrinologist....sooo she said she wants me to get some genetic testing done as the calcium in the urine is low and the calcium in the blood is high..there is some long name for it but i cant remember it lol

Hypercalcemia
    https://www.healthline.com/health/hypercalcemia
    https://www.uclahealth.org/endocrine-center/high-calcium
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    wowsa sorry shes kinda taking over the screen. I don't know how to minimize.
    Our washer is dead, having to go to the laundromat before shopping is a bummer. I am going to start logging food! Found old pics of me and lordy I was humungous. It definitely makes me feel better, but I still have so much further to go. Everyday is a new day, I got this. I am going to take over husbands' computer nightly bwahaha!
    Rebecca
    tabletless, but not going anywhere :-)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    <3Rori, sending hugs to you. The idea about contacting Hospice regarding your brother is a great one.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Machka- thats not the name of it ,its longer than that. She asked if i evee had issues with calcium when i was a kid,said not that i know of...she said i need no meds as of right now but wants me to get the testing done but we have to get it preauthorized from insurance first and since im in between insurances will have to wait...
    Ill find out the name again so i have proper information for you..
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    Hi Gals,

Sharon – good to hear from you ! take care

Rori – sending all the good thoughts I can in your direction

Allie – take care of yourself.

Kim from N. California
  • Machka9
    Machka- thats not the name of it ,its longer than that. She asked if i evee had issues with calcium when i was a kid,said not that i know of...she said i need no meds as of right now but wants me to get the testing done but we have to get it preauthorized from insurance first and since im in between insurances will have to wait...
    Ill find out the name again so i have proper information for you..

Possibly primary hyperparathyroidism which is the main cause of hypercalcemia?
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    DGD here with us for a week. She is staying in the cabin as my 96 yo mom has the guest room. At 16 she is finding this exciting. She is coming up to the house for meals.

Rori - Words do not suffice. I agree with others, get hospice started. We made the mistake of waiting too long when my DH had liver cancer.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (((Rori))) I think of you often. Prayers for you, and for your whole family. <3<3<3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Sharon - Sooooo happy to hear from you. <3 I was worried.
    I'm in a funk too. Boo! Our weather has been, and still is, terrible this half term week. Covid news horrible here and in Europe. I have no energy in the afternoon.
    So many women on this thread with much bigger problems than mine, although I would like to get my blood test results sorted. Don't like not knowing things. :( Doc chat on 11th.
    I must make the effort to go outside despite the weather. I think there may be a small gap in the rain and wind coming, but it's back with a vengeance at the weekend. :# DH is going out daily, but is nearly blown away!
    The things that keep me going are DH, my well used exercise room, connection to people through phone and Internet, my memoir writing, TV and my language videos. I think people who live alone are heroic at times like this. I'm pretty sure I would have had to find someone to bubble with, even if it meant moving temporarily. I think I would have gone crazy on my own.
    A day of sunshine would be nice. A day with a friend. A day outside the house. A glimpse of the wider world. I haven't been further than my feet will carry me since March.
    I would love to go running, but I need a gap in the weather. Keeping an eye on the forecast.

I have so much to be grateful for. :) My body seems determined to undermine me though. Random aches, tired, joint pains. Hard to find my 'get up and go'.
    Like Barbara, I'm missing my activities. Singing, dancing, French Circle. I miss close contact with the grandchildren more than anything. Haven't seen them all half term. We are Zooming tomorrow though. :D

I'm sure many are going through the same thing and very many more have it much worse.

I will reach out today to my old yoga friend by phone. Plus I have a supermarket delivery late afternoon. Small pleasures, but important.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited October 2020
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: recycling, post office
    Bonus: 2 boxes donated to thrift store, Gold Beach Lumber, Home Depot, Spectrum, rearranged remainders.
    Get to do: chiro, post office, Activity center vote, veg prep, firehouse best practices survey, submit grant pics and receipts, study voter pamphlet, vote, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s, BGBS, get bank card statement + pay, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Wednesday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D, vote, firehall for postings and minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    28: Ask yourself “Will this still matter next year?”: only if I don’t learn to not want approval/appreciation from Joe and others.
    29: Find a new perspective on a problem you face: see above ;)

Fae “I don’t get men at all” boy howdy you can say that again. Don’t listen to your wife who you know to be intelligent and well informed and who has loved and supported you for 30 + years, but listen to any “respected male” instead. [sigh] It is what it is. We have no microwave, but I could gently steam heat my rice pillow in the double boiler, or chill in the freezer, but, no, that’s not what the “respected male” said to do. And alas, this is not an aging male phenomenon, he’s been this way as long as I’ve known him. Thanks for the suggestion to use it myself, maybe the example will give him a clue :laugh:
    Welcome @Kathryn41057 Kat in Sussex, NB! Yes, sometimes I get the Oh-what-the-heck blues. One thing that helps is do get up, walk away from the screen, and do something that makes me happy, like walk the dogs in the woods, or grub in the dirt, or dance to a favorite tune or two. Once my mood improves I can “reset” and start fresh. And at 70 I’m considerably over the 50 hill ;)
    Rori ((hugs)) sending loving energy to you and yours.
    Michele what is it about your fudge that isn’t “like the kind you get at the store”?
    Debbie love the list of your fudge variations, your recipe is much like mine, except I add some chopped, wrung out, maraschino cherries to my Rocky Road.. How much coconut do you use for your Mounds fudge? I do make dark chocolate coated English Toffee, but stopped making fruitcake when I finally realized I was the only one who liked it ;) Your toffee bars sound like my favorite “Matzoh Roca” :laugh: Would you share your caramel corn recipe? Can it be scaled down?
    Sharon good to hear from you, hope your constant worry eases, and soon!
    Allie glad your endocrinologist prescribed the genetic test, important to eliminate FHH (Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia) as a possible issue. Has she ever suggested parathyroid surgery? So sorry you have to wait for new insurance to kick in, hope the waiting period is short short short.
    Rebecca OH those eyes! :love: :love: :love:
    Heather you are right, it’s those important small pleasures that keep us going.

Progress, two boxes of “low hanging fruit” and a backrest pillow to the thrift store today. 3 pictures up onto walls, tho’ possibly not in their long term homes. Scratched out room for both training beds.
    q8tcin1va3lx.jpg

Missed taking the dogs down the drive, and playing their food games, as I was in Crescent City all afternoon.

Wiped out tired.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 28, weigh: 27, steps>5491=5660 vits=28 log=28 CI<CO=27 CI<250<CO=19 Tumble & Shadow 5=31 mfp=28 outside=26 up hill=25
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4 dance=1 clean 30 mins=8.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=18 play= sew=0
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💜💛💚💙♥️🤍
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Fae She performed on the patio this morning, sports bikini-clad at a balmy 42 degrees. My workout inside at 68 felt hot after the invigoring patio discipline. Time for guitar practice. I am working on three Mexican classic tunes. Not sure where I will transport myself this AM, but it will be someplace warm where I will be wined and dined by a handsome gentleman that will rue the day he asked me to tango.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    edited October 2020
    Good morning ladies! <3

Terri - that photo of sheep grazing made me nostalgic this morning. Doesn't seem that long ago that scene was from my own back door. But on the plus side, I can now see a similar site on my walk each morning with our neighbor's cattle that we don't have to feed, round up, worry about. Instead of getting a lamb fix, I get a calf fix and they are just about as cute. ;)

Barbara - in lieu of a microwaveable rice sock, what about an old-fashioned hot water bottle? I see Amazon carries them with super cute fleecy covers. Think I'll order one just to have on hand since we have bad luck with microwaves at our house. Now on #3 in 12 years.

Rebecca - so glad to see you are able to use Lee's PC to keep in touch with us. Sending many good thoughts to you folks for the trip into Seattle for Covid test and Lee's biopsy. Love that Athena photo!! Up close and personal, lol. Smoochies. <3

Carol = agree 1000% about getting tired of the campaign and medicare sign up ads. Opening Facebook to check on my family makes me want to fling this laptop into the next county as I have to scroll through the crap to see what I want to see. :# . But that's OK, gives me an excuse to pull a Jan Karon book off the bookshelf. Do you ever get left over wind and rain from the hurricanes and tropical storms that seem to be targeting Louisiana this year?

My walking buddy D is gone for a few days. I am amazed at how much spending an hour or so with a "close" (2 doors down) friend each day walking 2 miles has contributed to keeping my mental health on an even keel, especially since I've been pretty cut off from my lunch pals this summer. We have many common interests including a silly side and we truly have become best friends. A warped sense of humor and looking on the bright side is high on my list for a friend and she fits the bill. She is an unashamed troublemaker and we consider ourselves very lucky to have found each other, lol. :D

Yesterday I bit the bullet and scheduled my doggies for a clip next week, plus made an appointment for my old gal (13) for her yearly shots and to check out an old dog wart that's been growing. Amazed the vet is booked out over a month, I think he lost one of his part-time vets. He hires retired vets who want to work a day or two a week to fill in the gaps.

Anyhow, I have become such a homebody and set in my ways that even the thought of doing something like driving to the groomer or sitting at the vet's makes me realize what a wimp I've become.

I'm steeling myself for a trip to tire store when they open this morning and get a new set for my Subaru. I was going to do this in September then that smoke took over so I bagged it - the tire store is new, about 1/4 mile from other stores. I had planned to walk to Home Depot while they were doing the work and escape sitting in their waiting room in case the place is too stinky with the smell of tires. Crazy, I know. These allergies have made my nose so sensitive to chemical smells. Supposed to be a mild morning so it will be a fine day for walking if it's too stinky.

DH mowed the lawn yesterday, this might be the last mow of the year. I got a fair amount of garden cleanup done.

OK ladies, hungry puppies here so need to scoot.

Make it a fabulous day!! <3

Lanette B)
    Pleasant SW WA State with the moon peeking out from the clouds. Glorious.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Machka... what Barbara from southern Oregon said
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    NW Georgia got lots and lots of wind and heavy rain last night. You cannot see the drive way because it is covered in leaves and debris. Luckily, no down trees.

Allie
    My DH went to the endocrinologist this week for the same reason as you (too much calcium in his blood). After doing more blood tests, it may lead to him having two parathyroid glands removed.

Cars
    My 2007 Honda Accord has just about bitten the dust. Had to have the alternator replaced last February after having it towed to the Honda dealer. Yesterday, when I got into the car for a trip to the store it was totally dead. I have been driving to Walmart about once a week so I don't think it is a dead battery. Ugh! Hate driving my DH's Dodge Caravan so hope I can get it resolved soon.

Rebecca & Terri & Machka
    Thanks for continuing to give us photos to make our days easier!

Carol in GA

• Machka9
    Thursday

Walked 4.22 km with my husband up to a hardware/antique/used store to get potting mix ... and I came away with a couple books.

My husband napped, so I went out for a walk/jog. First jog attempt I've done since my nose surgery!!

Then I sat in the sun and read.

And finally we went for a 17.6 km bicycle ride!

Dinner and The Mirror Cracked ... the one with Angela Lansbury and Liz Taylor.

That was my day!

M in Oz