WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Pip.. When you give Yogi the Stretch command, do you go, “Yogi. Stre-e-e-e-t-t-c-h-h-h!”?

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Lisa I am glad you are feeling better. The bacterial overgrowth sounds downright scary. The docs discovered several years ago that my digestive system doesn't absorb nutrients and vitamins as it should. I was put on easily absorbed liquid vitamins and that really made a difference. Also, a daily high protein vegetable-based shake that the docs prescribed after cancer surgery has really strengthened my immune system as it is easily absorbed into my system. Expensive but worth it. Do the doctors have any clue why you have this overgrowth of bacteria?

Katla Your eyes are correct! That photo was taken years ago with my first digital camera with a telescopic lens. I could never buy furniture online. I am so fussy about quality. I don't mind clothes and things easy to return.

Fae in the shadow of The Hood

• Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Mary A 3' drop is scary! Luckily you didn't get a more serious shoulder injury over that drop.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies~
    Lisa~ so glad to hear your back sorta in the swing of things.. that sounds horrible what you have been going through.and hope they have you on the right kind of meds..
    I got a message from Jean to not bother to come on tomorrow to work, i usually work thursday and fridays, but because I told her I wasn't staying overnight, her punishment for me is to not have me work because she cant leave before her mom is awake on thursdays.. she leaves at 4-5 am and no one is there until 8, so she leaves her alone..
    and she said she will talk with Sean when he gets home Sunday and probably ditch me taking care of Faith.. that is the kind of person Jean is..
    Very hard to find a job at 60 yrs old..even though they say there is no age discrimination... there is...
    so will have to knuckle down and figure out a strategy..
    i have the windows open as it is quite humid here in Connecticut for this time of the year.. so will take whatever fresh air I can get..
    Pip ~ love Yogi's stretch....
    will check in later...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited October 2020
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka baking in the fireplace? Wow! Your pergola covered patio is very inviting.

Several photos of cakes, cookies, pizza etc. cooked in our fireplace ...

Fireplace Cuisine
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/albums/72157621039458509/with/3677383410/

Pergola Patio: I really hope to use the patio more. Over the years, we've used it maybe half a dozen times each year which is a shame because it is relaxing out there. :)

Regarding Creepy Crawlers, there was a toy created in about 1964 called Creepy Crawlers. I wonder if that's what the meme is referring to.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thingmaker

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Barbara Truth be told, I never like wearing rings or any jewelry. I wore a band once made for me by a Hopi friend and on a construction job, it got snagged on duplex nail head as I was squeezing in a tight spot to repair a form, and it embedded in my finger at the knuckle clear to the bone. After that long ride to the ER and experience getting it cut off and finger stitched up, I decided no more. Glad you picked up on that liner comment. I was beginning to think my comedic genius was going to waste. Us old hippie gals understand repurposing. Were you ever in Sante Fe, Taos, Charma, or those parts of NM back in the late 60's early 70's? I lived in Colorado but spent a lot of time in my VW camper and Tipi on weekends all around that area especially for arts and crafts shows. I made bamboo flutes, finger pianos, and dulcimers along with some leather accessories that I sold and traded. I also did some solo guitar at some of the flamenco gatherings and one electric set with a blues band.

Big Day I have gutters to clean from summer debris and prepare for more leaves. It makes them easy to blow out once the disgusting slug is removed. Then I have extensive blowing with my battery super duper blower and then mowing over leaves to shed them to tiny pieces and then mow the entire yard. I must downsize, but this isn't the year to do it. I must sell for all I can get so I can build my tiny house debt free and live happily ever after. The estimated time to bring my yard to justice is 6 hours. I plan to start early after guitar practice and breakfast #2. It is cool so no way to dress sexy hoping some old fit guy will stop by to help a struggling lady in distress. even if it was hot, no way I can dress sexy. What once was sexy, is now just trashy! Besides all the old farts in this hood, in the shadow of the hood, know I am capable. I often stop to offer them advice on my walks. I see one old guy took my advice and replaced one of his sprinklers with the one I recommended.

As I near completion of my 70th trip around the sun, I seem to be returning to my early 20's mentally. I am not sure where a 20-year-old mind in a 70-year-old body will take me. Only time will tell.

Fae in the land of the dammed
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Get Moving with Chris Freytag DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Joyce Vidral’s Fat Burning Upper and Lower Body DVD.

Debbie – sounds like a great day you had!

Katla – I’d like new stools for our kitchen, not sure when we’ll get them, tho

Mary – feel better fast. Continue taking it easy

Lisa (((HUG))). So glad to hear that you’re feeling better and really hope you continue to. Sounds just horrible what you went thru.

Barbara – (((JOE HUG))))

Wish Vince would work more on decorating than watching bowling on TV. Oh well…there’s so much I can do.

Getting ready to go see my friend in the mountains. Should be about a 2hr drive. I’m going to try to limit my water intake because I don’t know if there’s someplace where I can go to the bathroom on the way up there. I remember going thru a lot of woods and I don’t want to do that on a full bladder.

Michele NC
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    M on Oz Great site with your awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. All the food looks delicious. I can almost smell it. I am regretting selling all my well-seasoned cast iron, especially the dutch over from my grandmother. I have considered making a mini fireplace/oven at belly height as getting down to the fireplace level isn't something I could do for very long. The art of banking hardwood coals is something few know about. That pizza looks perfect and reminds me of one a close friend from the Czech Republic makes in his traditional open oven.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Faetta wrote: »
    M on Oz Great site with your awesome photos! Thanks for sharing. All the food looks delicious. I can almost smell it. I am regretting selling all my well-seasoned cast iron, especially the dutch over from my grandmother. I have considered making a mini fireplace/oven at belly height as getting down to the fireplace level isn't something I could do for very long. The art of banking hardwood coals is something few know about. That pizza looks perfect and reminds me of one a close friend from the Czech Republic makes in his traditional open oven.

Thanks ... I enjoyed making things that way and found it easier to manage the heat and cooking rate than in the electric ovens I've been blessed with in the places we've rented since. There have been a few times I've been tempted to light a fire in the oven instead of having to deal with heating elements in the wrong places doing the wrong things.

And it was a bit of a workout!

First, I had to go gather the wood and start the fire. That happened early on so it would burn down. Then everything was mixed by hand ... no mixers or food processors. And once the food was position in or on the dutch oven, I had to keep crawling into the fireplace and shifting it quarter turns so it would bake evenly. Even for washing up, water had to be heated either in the fireplace or on the Coleman stove we had and poured into the sink so that the dishes could soak and then be washed.

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Faetta wrote: »

Thanks ... I enjoyed making things that way and found it easier to manage the heat and cooking rate than in the electric ovens I've been blessed with in the places we've rented since. There have been a few times I've been tempted to light a fire in the oven instead of having to deal with heating elements in the wrong places doing the wrong things.

And it was a bit of a workout!

First, I had to go gather the wood and start the fire. That happened early on so it would burn down. Then everything was mixed by hand ... no mixers or food processors. And once the food was position in or on the dutch oven, I had to keep crawling into the fireplace and shifting it quarter turns so it would bake evenly. Even for washing up, water had to be heated either in the fireplace or on the Coleman stove we had and poured into the sink so that the dishes could soak and then be washed.

M in Oz

I can fully appreciate it all!!! In my large steel fireplace/stove I would rake the coals all around the dutch oven so I never had to turn it. I always knew when the Basque sourdough bread was done because it would lift the lid. I had long tongs and elbow-length gloves I used working around it. I always did cookies and pizza in my wood cookstove. It cooked very even, much more than any electric even the one I have now with convection. The heat had to circulate around the oven before it went out of the chimney. Before I had indoor plumbing I carried my water from a spring about 30 meters away and heated it in a 5-gallon heavy stainless steel pot on the wood cookstove. I learned how to bathe in a minimal amount of water in my old clawfoot cast iron tub. All that would kill me these days.
  • Faetta
    Michele If you are going through a lot of woods, then no problem. There should be lots of places to hide and pee. Connect with your inner mountain girl.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,319 Member
    edited October 2020
    Happy Wednesday peeps! <3

Lisa - so glad to see you back here with us, made my day <3 . Crossing fingers you are over the worst of it.

Michele - glad your sourdough starter is doing well. I remember driving through rural areas having to "go" and actually getting out of the car to "inspect the tires" on the passenger side and praying no cars were coming. DH used to do that all the time, easier for him to get away with it. (Edit - I see Fae was thinking along that line too, lol.)

My walking neighbor told me a story of a friend she worked with who got stuck on the 520 bridge (there are 2 long bridges that span Lake Washington for folks to get to Seattle from communities east of there). Stuck on that bridge for a couple hours, no way to get off. A lady in the car in front of her actually got out and tinkled in front of everyone. My neighbor's friend decided then and there to always carry a Depends in the car. I thought that was a great idea. OK enough with tinkle talk, lol. :p

Fae - I think I'm about ready, when the time comes, to sell this place and rent a duplex in one of the senior housing developments. Let someone else clean the gutters and mow the lawn and arrange the plumber, lol. I always swore I'd never be happy living surrounded by only seniors but I'm starting to change my mind - neighbors with kids don't always have time to look in on the elderly person next door, even though their hearts are in the right place. Seniors are more likely to look out for each other. I reckon it's a decade away for me, as long as DH is around anyhow.

Feeling good today, heading out in a bit to do the morning shopping. I'm looking to buy some brown cotton jersey gloves with a red lining to wear when walking. I could order off Amazon but my hands, like my feet, are at the top of one size but the bottom of another depending on the make and style. Better to try them on and then factor in that they'll shrink a little when laundered. Plus I like to keep some $$ in the community. Jeff Bezos has enough of my money already, lol.

That's the latest. Have a fabulous day!

Lanette B)
    Rainy SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Fae - my elder son recently built himself a pizza oven which is definitely at waist height. On brick pillars. In Nottingham it is a summer treat, but you could easily cook Christmas dinner or bread in it. My younger son cooked a turkey in the Egg charcoal bbq last year. :D I have researched the idea of building, or buying one, but I think it would be fun for a very short time. If I was still married to my first husband, a total pyromaniac, it would be great, but DH is not a real fire man. Hard to get him to drag our bbq out of the shed. I have to light all the fires in holiday cottages. When I first met him I was nonplussed. What was wrong with the man? Nor does he sharpen knives. :# What a wimp! :D<3
    I adore wood cooked food. Or charcoal. Luckily, Fatto a Mano has a real woodfired pizza oven and I am in heaven. B)

I have the best leggings ever, bought from Amazon, and I wear them day in, day out. Especially since covid. They have long, deep pockets each side where you can keep your phone and it doesn't fall out, even on the loo. On the other side I keep my mask, ready to whip out when entering a shop. :)

Lisa - Thank you so much for the explanation. Sounds like a mega disaster, but now there is some light at the end of the tunnel. (Sorry, couldn't resist) I wish you speedy healing. <3

Having Mary Berry's Salmon and Fennel tonight. I'm using leeks instead of shallots. Saw it on the TV and thought it looked "a bit of alright", as she would say.

Zoom this afternoon with my old school friends. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Pip.. When you give Yogi the Stretch command, do you go, “Yogi. Stre-e-e-e-t-t-c-h-h-h!”?

Yup
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Lisa- Glad to see you back!
    Pip- L <3 VE the pic of Yogi! Downward Dog, right?
    Karen VA- Definitely need a laugh option! "potential markings" :D
    Mortgage burning parties- Hmmm....if throwing one is bragging, than throwing a retirement party is the same thing! I plan to throw a HUGE party when my home is paid off! Are you kidding? Paying off a 30 year mortgage?! I'm going to celebrate that til the cows come home. (still about 15 years away)

Well, it is Wednesday and that means pancakes for the kids this morning; so I better get cracking. Love and hugs to all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Yup
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Michele

You have mentioned a couple of times that you were concerned that Vince was putting off decorating. Could it be that he is losing his enthusiasm for so much decorating? Over the past few years, decorating for Christmas has become a great chore for me. In fact, holidays have become something I would just like to ignore. I guess old age sometimes brings about changes.

Lisa

So sorry for all you have been through health wise and wishing you a speedy road to total recovery. Have the dr's given you any advice on how to prevent future problems like what you have suffered?

Heather

Very pretty colors in the rug you are choosing. It will look pretty with the wall covers and the blue furniture in your dining area.

Carol from GA who feels so darn lazy! Need to clean my house and just don't want to! :'(:(
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning again ladies
    I agree with Fae- many a time i have had to pee behind a tree.late in the season for poison ivy ..
    I went back to sleep for a couple hrs and am just laying low.. staying in until i get results from the test...
  • Faetta
    Heather Thanks for the explanation! I was ready to put you on the old hippie gal rolls, but since no mask repurposing, you don't meet the criteria necessary for membership. Disappointing that the reptile man doesn't appreciate a good cooking fire. Certainly, he must seek warmth. Perhaps there is a maneuver that can adjust such disappointing behavior. Doesn't sharpen knives? >:)

Lanette Yes, that is what I have considered. Duplex in a senior community with garages between living space. I found some for rent, but pee'd myself over the monthly price. I am thinking of something I could buy with a reasonable monthly HOA for all outside maintenance. I still talk and dream about the independent tiny house but know it is not reality with my medical issues that will only worsen with age. I would still want to be responsible and in charge of all interior repairs and design. Probably about a decade away for me also. When Zek was next door it was perfect. He was 82, a retired paramedic and we checked in with each other daily. He was the best. Now all I have is my bestie down the way, but she needs more help than I do and her place is harder to keep than mine. She is stubborn and refuses to sell. Help is expensive and poor work and unreliable. Bestie for over 30 years and her kids and grandkids are duds, so we really do depend on each other. She will move if her side of the duplex is built and furnished for royalty and can be bought with a paupers budget. I take that as a big no.

Cold but the sun is now shinning. Still day! I can find no excuse to lollygag anymore because freezing is forecast for tonight. Time for donning my Carhartts and work Sketchers.

Fae

Remembering 2000
    tabkdku2kjkm.jpg

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Carol - Thank you for the updates! Much appreciated.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Pip - Love Yogi doing Downward Facing Dog. He looks like such a nice guy and completes your family.