WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    My walk According to my weather checker the wind was 18 mph when I left. I took a high route that is uphill and usually windier. I was walking dead-on into the wind with my jacket unzipped so as to enjoy the feel of the breeze on my new turtleneck/mask crop top. I had my hands in the nylon spandex jacket pockets and the wind suddenly gusted and my jacket became a sail and it skidded me back a couple of feet. Good thing it was fairly steep and I was leaning into the hill. I turned sideways, zipped it up to my neck, and proceeded on. With all the wind resistance, 1 1/2 miles was all I could make. Going back down was easier using a different route, but still holding back with the wind pushing me required some strength. My legs feel like I walked 10 miles and it was only 3. I credit my windsurfing days for keeping me from wiping out. Tacking sideways into the wind while I reset my sail/jacket was all that save my kitten from some serious discoloration and pain.

Katla So great you have your tryke set up stationary. I am still thinking about the pedal 4 wheeler with a top. That would be great in your area with all the drizzle. I miss my mountain bike, but too high a chance of losing balance and crashing.

Heather Yes, I love the story of you and your DH and how you are so temperature different. It reminds me of when Zek lived next door. His place was 85 F year around. I keep mine 68 F or less. He would get lonely and want company when watching shows so I would go over but started stripping down to bra and panties and taking over my battery Ryobi fan.

Fae

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Fae: Drizzle is not a likely problem in our garage where I usually ride my terratryke. If I choose to ride in the town it will be on a sunny day without wind other than a gentle breeze. When DH was still able to ride with me we went all over and had a grand time.

🦋
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Just the covid test ,have to wait 2 days for results ,if negative i can make Drs appointment
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk yogi to vet n bk- 36.15min, 78ahr, 3.0 ap or slower, 1.63mi= 142c
    Strava app = 198c
    Spin bike- 30.33min, 187elev, 21.6amph, 136ahr, 152mhr, 10.99mi= 259c
    Strava app = 325c
    Other- garage reorganization 44.59min, = 207c

Total cal 608
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Fae We may get 2-4 inches tomorrow. Too soon. Be working get out door work done the past two days. Water off. outdoor furniture put away, 18 bags of leaves raked up. Yes I am tired.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    2082266ql4v880fcw.gif
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Allie - hope they can get you in and you feel like yourself soon.
    I grew up in a house like your Grandparents, except mine was wood heat. I will never live in a a house with wood heat only ever again.

Annie - it’s nice to read that things are going well with Steven.

Michele - why do you keep losing your streak? You are on here daily.

Fae - I admire you for wearing bikini tops, I wouldn’t wear them even in my young teen years.

My friends husband was supposed to be moved to a room today so she will be able to visit. I have texted her to see if she has seen him and she hasn’t answered so maybe she is there now.

My husband has made a doctors appointment for tomorrow morning at 11. I think my friends husband needing emergency surgery frightened him into getting himself looked at. His not eating to avoid pain will not be a remedy for long.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Tracey So glad your husband is going to the doctor! That has to be a great relief for you. I admire all of you that deal with stubborn husbands. Thanks for your kind comment.

Pip Yogi is a beauty.

Margaret As I got older it seemed snow came too early. Even after I moved down out of a heavy snow country, I still worked there during the week. It is a lot of work getting prepared for winter.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Fae – thank goodness you didn’t fall on your walk!

Tracey – I have no idea at all why my streak keeps going to zero. Well, to me that’s a bogus number anyway since you can prelog and it counts that you’ve logged in when you might not have, so I’m not worried. I just find it amusing

Work tomorrow!

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie- Wishing you best luck with the CoVID test. I’m betting you won’t have any trouble with the results. I had to take one earlier this year before my doctor would see me for a procedure. :flowerforyou:

Tracey- Good wishes for your friend. It sounds good that your DH will go to a doctor for a check-up. I hope all goes well. :star:

Pip- Good news that Yogi is still a sweet young boy of 6. Our sweet old boy, Schooner, is 13. Dogs are a treasure, old or young. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: one load laundry, cut in edges and painted railings while Joe painted the front deck.
    Get to do: Shadow to vet, minutes, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Thursday: call Progressive adjustor, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    19: Hopeful but realistic goals this week: stroll with friend, Shadow or Tumble to dog group.

Bleargh. wii weight up another 1.5 lbs. Ticker weight receding into the distance :grump:

Lisa take your time, we’ll be here. Sending healing vibes and hugs.
    Evelyn :love: your owl!
    Katla I could never let Joe do his own laundry. All colors jammed together in one hot water load, soap powder poured on top, then after dry crammed into any old drawer all together with no folding. I just couldn’t bear it.
    Welcome @chezzac17! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Fae what you said about this group. Truth that. Did you macramé that swim bra yourself?
    Welcome @mrsbfe . Terri shared this realistic bmi measurement site https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/ Found it both reassuring and motivating. The compassionate wisdom and varied experiences shared on this thread are also both comforting and helpful. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Annie safe travels ;)
    Pip never leave us! What would we do without your pics of Kirby and Yogi? Who would give us the boot when we need it?
    Heather I’m a little envious of your green-loving Johnny. Getting leafy greens into Joe is a challenge.
    Allie sure hope you can get in to see your Dr soon and that the endocrinologist’s office will get up off their kittens and call you.
    Margaret 18 bags of leaves! Wow!
    Tracey fingers X’d for your DH’s appointment.

Hanging clothes over the heater vents, nope but I used to love to stand over the heater in my nightie when it was blowing. Made it all toasty then quickly jumped into chilly bed. Kind of a granny version of the iconic MM over the subway grid. ;)

Both Joe and I work best by ourselves. Today we painted the front deck together. We were off to a rocky start, I wanted to tape the edges closest to the house and cut in a bit, Joe just wanted to run the roller along the edge and do it NOW. Managed not to yell or shriek but smile real big while I firmly said “I’m going to do it the way I want!” Fortunately was able to tape before Joe was ready to roll. He consented to work on the railings while I cut in. Eventually we settled into a rhythm, even chatting and joking a little. Missed a few railings and boards but all in all looks a thousand percent better. Will finish up tomorrow morning and post before and after pics. Okie, I lied. I am not the sloppiest painter in the world… ;)

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 19, weigh: 18, steps>5491=3993 vits=19 log=19 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=16 Tumble & Shadow 5=18 mfp=19 outside=17 up hill=17
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=13 play= sew=0
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,787 Member
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    morning ladies~
    not going to fight trying to sleep, I went to bed early and got up early after 2 am, and got a load of laundry done and its in the dryer... having my tea and a muffin..
    going for a mammogram tomorrow early,, which is good, in and out.. and i am hoping that comes up clear...
    also the covid test...
    Jean wants me to stay overnight thursday. I have done that all summer long, I think I will say no , the twin bed is uncomfortable and this coming weekend will be the last of them traveling at least for now..
    I did talk to my brother yesterday,how I miss seeing and talking to him...
    Jean has done nothing to make my life easier,,, going to start saying No~~
    I am sure I will take a mid morning nap... but thats ok..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited October 2020
    cprmqudo0iy1.png

Tips that have worked for me
    Put your current numbers into MFP
    Select sedentary as your activity level
    Choose how much you'd like to lose (i.e. 1 lb/week)
    MFP will give you the number of calories to eat
    Eat those calories
    ... and weigh (with food scale) and log every bite.

A few extra things have helped me along the way:

1) Exploring my grocery stores and markets to find delicious, filling low calorie foods. It's amazing what's out there.

2) Exercising as much as possible. Exercise gives me extra calories to work with so that I can have things like pizza now and then ... but to keep my sanity and not wear myself out, my exercise quantity varies as does what I do for exercise.

Also, I tend not to eat all my exercise calories back.
    If I've just done a little bit of exercise like a 3 km walk or something, I'll eat about 50% of my calories back.
    If I've done a moderate amount of exercise like a 5 km run or 50 km bicycle ride, I'll eat about 75% of my calories back.
    If I've done a lot of exercise, like a half marathon or a 100 km bicycle ride, I might eat about 90% of my calories back.

3) Eating how I want to eat. This is where everyone is different ... some people prefer to employ fasting, others like high protein diets, some like vegetarian diets, some like to eat 2 or 3 meals a day, others like to graze. Go with what works for you.

Personally, if I had to define what I do, my diet is probably most similar to a Mediterranean diet with a vegetarian lean ... and I'm a grazer. I also have to adjust what I do depending on my cycling events ... they're tricky because I need the fuel without going overboard.

Stick to it for 5 weeks, then reassess how things are going. :)

Regarding Cheat Meals
    When I was on a mission to lose weight in 2015, I never went over my calorie limit. I stuck to the plan like glue. And I lost the weight.

But I broke it up into weeks. When I started I had 16 weeks until we were going to Canada so my plan was to stick to the calorie limit for 16 weeks and then take a 1-month break while we were in Canada. I did that and lost 15 kg in that time. After the 1-month break, I eased back into it for a couple weeks, upped my calorie limit slightly, and then stuck to it like glue for the next 16 weeks in which I lost 11 kg and took me close to Christmas when I took another break for about a month.

10 Things to Stop Doing If You Want to Exercise
    https://www.verywellfit.com/things-to-stop-if-you-want-to-exercise-1231403

A little bit about me ...
    I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now) working toward a Masters in IT, doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.

My husband is not able to work anymore, so one of his main activities is gardening. He works at that at his own pace and we've got quite a lovely garden of flowers, fruit and veggies.

This is Rhody ... an all black, year old "domestic" who joined us at the end of March. :)

nneinev2ot4y.png

I joined MFP in February 2015 and promptly lost 15 kg, took a 1-month break, then lost another 11 kg. By Christmas 2015, I was down to a weight I hadn't seen in quite a few years ... since my early 30s.

In 2016, 2017 and the early part of 2018 I maintained while increasing my cycling. My sport, within cycling, is ultradistance cycling: Audax, Randonneuring, 24-hour races, etc.

Here's me in 2016 in Brisbane, QLD a couple days after cycling a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks. I'm 49 years old there. :)

vus7bcn66jq3.png

In late 2017 and early 2018, my husband and I were in great shape and feeling good. We were cycling events and on our own and building up the distances in the hopes of going to France in 2019 to ride the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 km event. We met on a Paris-Brest-Paris in 2003, and the 2019 one was going to be a bit of an anniversary trip.

And then on March 22, 2018, my husband had a very bad accident at work ... and life changed. He was in a coma for 3 weeks and post traumatic amnesia for 7 weeks and in hospital for 100 days. Then, a year after the accident, he had a tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure which set him back. He'll never fully recover but he's doing better then they originally predicted.

He is cycling again but gets very tired so can't cycle consistently or for long distances.

Because cycling is something we've always done together, this means I'm not cycling the ultra long distances at this point either. In an attempt to boost my exercise we've set up a home gym, and I've got into running again. I hadn't run since I was in my late teens!

But all the time sitting at the hospital and dealing with the aspects of care for my husband, plus working, plus attending university has taken its toll on my weight and I don't look like that picture above anymore! :open_mouth: This year I have maintained my weight but I'd really like to lose a bit.

So that's me in a rather large nutshell. :)

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Pip

Looking at that photo of the handsome 6.75 year-old Yogi gave me an endorphin rush this morning. It’s the same feeling I get looking at the photos of everyone’s grandchildren. And pups and kitters. Happy-making feeling to start off the day. <3

Karen in Virginia
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Barbara - You gave me a laugh with that one! I am not looking forward to taping off the rock on the house when we paint the wrought iron fence. Fortunately, the rest of the fence we won't worry about because the paint will just get on the grass and it can be weed eated to destroy the evidence of sloppiness.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Allie here if you are sick they want you to reschedule routine tests. You might want to call to reschedule. It would give you another day to rest. Hope you feel better soon.