Strict calories deficit: not losing weight!!!!!

Options
bethanyjxx
bethanyjxx Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm getting so stressed now.
For the past month I've been fluctuating +/- 2 pounds in body weight.
I am the heaviest I've ever been and so really wanted to just lose some weight, so I've been in a strict calorie deficit (I'm literally weighing EVERYTHING, even small things like my milk and butter usage...).
I aim to eat around 1300-1400 calories a day when my BMR is 1500 alone -- I go the gym (weight/resistance training) at least 4 times a week, the walk to the gym is 10k steps + anywhere else I walk to ect.
My diet consists of a lot of protein (eggs, lean meats ect.), and I force myself to drink lots of water.
I just really don't understand how I am not losing weight? I know my tracking is accurate because I've done it in the past, a few years ago, and it worked perfectly for me - dropped weight at a healthy and reasonable speed!
The obvious explanation is that I am losing fat, gaining muscle (I am a beginner so I believe this is possible from research I've found, and I know muscle weighs more) but I don't look any different? I've took my measurements and there's not really any difference from them either.
Just starting to lose all motivation, the stress of trying to consume 140g protein into a 1300 calorie diet, whilst on a tight budget, just seems too much and not worth it.
Please, someone help me :(

I should also note that I frequently feel EXTREMELY bloated and gas-y, so maybe this is involved? It's not fun.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what do you currently weigh?
  • bethanyjxx
    Options
    How tall are you and what do you currently weigh?

Hi! Thanks for replying! I am 5''7 and 156 pounds :(
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Are you logging exercise? Some people overestimate their calorie burn for exercise.
  • bethanyjxx
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    At 5’7” and 156, you’re probably looking more at losing .5 lbs a week. Maybe you 1 lb, but that would be tough. As said above, the weight lifting can cause some water retention which will mask weight loss.

How much weight are you trying to lose?

i want to lose around 20 pounds, as this is what I weighed prior to my weight gain
  • bethanyjxx
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Are you logging exercise? Some people overestimate their calorie burn for exercise.

i don't eat back exercise calories! so in theory, my calorie deficit is even larger than what i'm logging it as
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If you're truly weighing everything - even the singles like bananas, slices of bread, chicken breast, etc. - give it more time. The combination of extra fitness/muscle fatigue & repair could be temporarily masking scale results. And you don't have a HUGE deficit. Perhaps 1 or 1.5 pounds per week.

I am basing that on my #s and rounding up. I'm 5'5" and 135ish (down 13 approximately in 4 months) and walking 10-12k per day (including 60 minutes cardio) I burn 1900-2000 daily. You would likely burn a little higher as you're about 20-22 pounds heavier and possibly younger as I am 46. So if you're burning 2100-2200, eating 1400, that would be about 1.5 pounds. BUT if you feel that is not sustainable or that your energy suffers as you keep going - boost your intake by 250 to ONLY aim for 1 pound per week loss.

Also - though someone probably already mentioned it - make sure the entries you are using in the database are accurate. That could put you at a higher calorie intake than you realize.

Eventually the scale WILL catch up with the science.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jquedal wrote: »
    I just posted this same issue and basically got told that I'm logging my calories wrong... I do think being older, especially as a woman, can complicate things. I'm having to workout harder, eat less and be hungrier. I will tell you, years ago, when I had an autoimmune disease and some food allergies diagnosed, as soon as I quit those foods I lost an immediate ten pounds. Look into an anti-inflammatory, blue zone, or plant based (not vegan) diet. Also think about getting your thyroid tested, having a hormonal panel run, and getting tested for allergies. I also lost weight after having my hormones run by Dr who did a whole panel run multiple times during my luteal phase. I was very imbalanced and some supplementation for a few months helped me lose weight and get back in balance. Right now though I'm in the same boat as you. Going up and down a pound despite herculean efforts. I'm going back to the doctor soon. I'm sick of it and tired of being told I don't know how to count my calories 🙄

Nobody's born knowing how to count calories. It's a very acquired skill and most of us trying to help people are veterans of making the same types of estimation errors that we help others catch.