Strict calories deficit: not losing weight!!!!!

Options

Replies

• gracegettingittogether
    Options

I don't. Dark brown fiberboard circles with denatured dollar store toothpaste in between. You can 100% have my share, and welcome to 'em. 🤣

People do get passionate about their Oreos, though! 😉[/quote]

Oh my goodness, yes!!! I have never understood the passionate love for Oreos!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I don't. Dark brown fiberboard circles with denatured dollar store toothpaste in between. You can 100% have my share, and welcome to 'em. 🤣

People do get passionate about their Oreos, though! 😉

Never thought I would ever disagree with you ... but here we are LOL

Oreos = Life <3

YES!!! Oreos are my crack and when I have them in my house, my willpower game needs to be ON POINT!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    bethanyjxx wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So OP a couple of very simple questions without you having to open your diary.

1) do you weigh everything, or use measuring cups? And by everything, we mean everything. If you take a couple of slices of bread, do you weigh them? Do you weigh packaged food? Or just go by what's stated on the packet. You said you measure milk and butter, that's good. Again, do you weigh these or cups/spoons?

2) what sort of calories from exercise do you get each day, and what exercises are you doing, for how long? How are you working out the calories?

3) are you eating all those exercise calories?

4) whats your deficit set to?

1. i use weighing scales - i don't tend to weigh things like bread, but if i was to eat anything out of a packet it'd be weighed (i even weigh minor minor minor things like broccoli and lettuce, which barely take up my calories). i do weigh as much as possible.

2. i tend to walk an average of 10k steps a day (some days its a little less, some days its a lot more, it really depends) and then i have a 1 hour weight session comprising of legs (glute dominant days and quad dominant days), push days and pull days. usually i go the gym 4 times a week, but sometimes more/less depending on how busy i am. never less than 3 though.

3. i don't eat back exercise calories, and have only went over my calories (by roughly 200) on a handful of days

4. my setting is set to lose 2 pounds a week, which gives me a deficit of 1410.
    If you're NOT 200lbs and over, then 2lbs may be too aggressive. 1% of your bodyweight a week is much more optimal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    At 5’7” and 156 lbs, 2 lbs a week is NOT AT ALL REALISTIC.

.5 lbs - 1 lb tops is what you should be set at. Eating fewer calories is NOT the answer since you already don’t eat exercise calories back.

Since your diary is private, I can’t say for sure, but maybe you are greatly overestimating your calories burned during said exercise. Or double dipping. For example, if you have your settings at active and then you add in exercise, you are telling MFP that you are burning twice as many calories as you really are.

I set mine to sedentary (desk job) and then add my exercise calories in separately to avoid double dipping.

No, I do the exact same, I am almost certain I set mine as sedentary (do you know if there is a way I can double check this?). I am not really completely aiming to lose 2 lbs but .5 lbs gave me a large calorie goal which I knew I could eat under and be satiated so that's why I lowered it further :)
    Don't TRY TO FIGURE OUT the math your body knows. If you eat too little, your METABOLIC RATE DROPS. That means you burn LESS CALORIES at rest. And at rest is when you burn the most stored fat calories overall.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Another thought I had, have you updated your goal recently? As you lose weight, MFP does not auto calculate a new calorie goal for you.

I was thinking the same thing. If you lost weight initially, it's possible that you're still eating the same calories as before, but it's no longer (much of) a deficit. That, combined with a few days of eating a little more, may well be cancelling out the calories burned from exercise, particularly if your activity level is set to active.

Also, reading through this thread, there may be confusion over who is saying what. The OP is @bethanyjxx and, although I may have missed it, I haven't seen anyone ask her to open her diary and nor have I seen anything where she's refused - that's someone else.

@bethanyjxx go to Goals - View Guided setup (on the website).
    Is the Current Weight field showing your current weight?
    In the section that asks about your normal daily activities, what do you have selected?
    At the bottom where it asks 'What is your goal?', what do you have selected as a rate of loss target?
    Click 'Update Profile. How many calories does it allocate a day?

So that people can really try to help, what is your age, height and current weight?

We all think we're logging accurately. If we're not, we usually don't know that it's wrong (and many of us have done that at some point!). If a more experienced person looks at your diary, they may see something that you haven't noticed. If you'd like someone to take a look, go to My Home - Settings - Diary Settings and change it to Public (down the bottom). You can change it back once you've had feedback.

I second a suggestion above to eat and work out as you have been, track everything and see what happens at the end of 6 weeks. Compare your weight, at that time, with your weight today (or tomorrow morning) - and work out at what rate you've actually been losing. From that, you'll know whether you're at a deficit or not and, if so, how much of a deficit you are in. 250 cals = 0.5lb a week.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    At 5’7” and 156 lbs, 2 lbs a week is NOT AT ALL REALISTIC.

.5 lbs - 1 lb tops is what you should be set at. Eating fewer calories is NOT the answer since you already don’t eat exercise calories back.

Since your diary is private, I can’t say for sure, but maybe you are greatly overestimating your calories burned during said exercise. Or double dipping. For example, if you have your settings at active and then you add in exercise, you are telling MFP that you are burning twice as many calories as you really are.

I set mine to sedentary (desk job) and then add my exercise calories in separately to avoid double dipping.

No, I do the exact same, I am almost certain I set mine as sedentary (do you know if there is a way I can double check this?). I am not really completely aiming to lose 2 lbs but .5 lbs gave me a large calorie goal which I knew I could eat under and be satiated so that's why I lowered it further :)
    Don't TRY TO FIGURE OUT the math your body knows. If you eat too little, your METABOLIC RATE DROPS. That means you burn LESS CALORIES at rest. And at rest is when you burn the most stored fat calories overall.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The bolded happens even if you lose weigh slowly or quickly.
    True. I was trying to emphasize to the OP that their deficit is too big and that they are compounding the issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    jquedal wrote: »
    I track things in my diary that are private so I won't be making it public. Maybe I will find a way to share it through screen shots with someone encouraging in the future. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

🤔 trying to figure out what foods are so naughty they can’t be seen. The torture is real.

I've had a couple of binges where I ate things in quantities or combinations that would be . . . awkward if I knew some people IRL knew about them. Over the internet, I tend not to be hung up on it, especially since I'm generally candid about the fact that I've struggled with disordered eating.

I mean, if someone found out about it, I'd deal with the embarrassment, but I can understand why some people might be more shy about sharing their dairy.

(Of course, if I was in the midst of rough things and eating margarine straight out of the tub with Splenda and cinnamon dumped on top, I would also understand why my weight loss wasn't behaving as expected and I wouldn't be blaming it on my hormones, so it's kind of moot for the purposes of this discussion).

Yup.

And while I don't disbelieve people who say their MFP "friends" hector them about their food choices, or that they've seen people be beaten up about it in threads, I haven't really experienced that myself.

I accept all friend requests (except from the guys with no profile info whose friends are all cute flexing woman, and whose forum history is non-existent or all flirty stuff in Chit-Chat 🤣). It's clear from profile page comments and questions that my MFP friends do read my diary. (Just today I was answering questions about edamame fettuccine.)

I'll admit to not logging some of my confusing high days here in year 5 of maintenance, but I've logged them often along the way, and still log some crazy things (irresponsible levels of IPA or cocktails in a day (not driving!!), a whole deep-dish pizza all by myself in one meal, baskets of deep-fried whatever with a bucket'o'ketchup, major wallows in chocolate . . . these are not daily or even super-frequent things, but they're in there, and they're in the diary of someone who regularly encourages good nutrition, so the hypocrisy card could be played, if someone wanted to (I'd laugh, frankly).

There has been no criticism. Crickets.

I don't read every thread (though I'm sure it seems like it), but I haven't seen a lot of criticism in threads, either, outside of the occasional evangelical new convert to a tricksy new eating routine who thinks everyone should follow their One True Way (TM), and those preachers usually get kick-back from folks who enjoy their oreos. Mostly, I've seen comments along the lines that if the the reply-er ate donuts for breakfast they'd be starving by lunch too, or that eating some veggies might help with satiation - mild, and honest but clear stuff.

I don't get the coyness or shame. (Personally, I don't think OP here is being super coy, either, BTW.)

People get better advice when they open up, and have some resilience to others' opinions. 🤷‍♀️

Oooh you mentioned Oreos. I love Oreos. 😆

People do get passionate about their Oreos, though! 😉

I'm totally with you here! Don't understand why so many people seem to love them. They don't taste like anything.
  • Lawcher
    Lawcher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more your body will hold onto fat it happened to me I was 146lbs and 5ft 2 exercised a lot on 1200-1300 calories I plateuaed fro weeks in need a personal trainer upped my calories to 1665 and I then lost 18lbs in 9 weeks and loads inches
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Agree with yirara . We never seen people hungry and fat. Evolution worked the direction to have us survive sturvation which happened all the time in paleolit. To save us, evolution really made our metabolism lowered at sturvation times. But our vew on sturvation is compeletely different. Real sturvation starts after few days of having no food at all, beleive or not it's could be 5 to 7 days. How in the world not eating longer than 6 hrs we state as sturvation in modern time???
    Scientists etnographists going to Australia or Africa to live with wild tribes. They discovered that these people when they hunting or far from home for many days, eat and drink a day so little that in our undestending would not even be considered a snack. It's very naturally for human be hungry from time to time, be full sometime, eat little some time. We can manage every mode of eating. Remember, we and only we passed all kinds of environmental changes. We are on the top of evolution chain. Why not to use it in our advantage?
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ok , many species adopted well, but now time they requre protection, they sure can not adopt to a new realeteis. But debate about evolution is only for explonation why human beens can stay hungry and survive. We can stay hungry and eat little without worrying that our metabolism will slow down. This is far from our real life. 24 hrs fast won't slow your metabolism, trust me.