Strict calories deficit: not losing weight!!!!!

Options

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    bethanyjxx wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    At 5’7” and 156 lbs, 2 lbs a week is NOT AT ALL REALISTIC.

.5 lbs - 1 lb tops is what you should be set at. Eating fewer calories is NOT the answer since you already don’t eat exercise calories back.

Since your diary is private, I can’t say for sure, but maybe you are greatly overestimating your calories burned during said exercise. Or double dipping. For example, if you have your settings at active and then you add in exercise, you are telling MFP that you are burning twice as many calories as you really are.

I set mine to sedentary (desk job) and then add my exercise calories in separately to avoid double dipping.

No, I do the exact same, I am almost certain I set mine as sedentary (do you know if there is a way I can double check this?). I am not really completely aiming to lose 2 lbs but .5 lbs gave me a large calorie goal which I knew I could eat under and be satiated so that's why I lowered it further :)

I'll also mention, though, that I'm 5"5" and 170ish lbs...you're a little lighter than me, but taller. MFP calculates 1350 calories a day (net) for me to lose 1 lb/wk. I end up eating about 2000 calories (gross) daily with my exercise and activity cals, and I'm set to sedentary. f you're truly eating only 1400 calories gross, your issue isn't double dipping because you aren't eating exercise calories anyway.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    As above, it’s in the goals section. You can update your goals and in there will also be your activity level. I would double check your activity level based on how many calories you say MFP gives you. I am an inch shorter than you at 5’6” and 175. I have mine set to lose 1 lb per week and I get 1340 calories a day before any exercise. Again, I set mine to sedentary and add the exercise in.

Another thought I had, have you updated your goal recently? As you lose weight, MFP does not auto calculate a new calorie goal for you. I just go in and change mine from sedentary to active and then right back to reflect my weight loss. For example, I didn’t do that for AWHILE. I was getting 1500 calories a day. Then I remembered and updated it and dropped to 1340. I was sad 😞
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

.5 lbs - 1 lb tops is what you should be set at. Eating fewer calories is NOT the answer since you already don’t eat exercise calories back.

Since your diary is private, I can’t say for sure, but maybe you are greatly overestimating your calories burned during said exercise. Or double dipping. For example, if you have your settings at active and then you add in exercise, you are telling MFP that you are burning twice as many calories as you really are.

I set mine to sedentary (desk job) and then add my exercise calories in separately to avoid double dipping.

No, I do the exact same, I am almost certain I set mine as sedentary (do you know if there is a way I can double check this?). I am not really completely aiming to lose 2 lbs but .5 lbs gave me a large calorie goal which I knew I could eat under and be satiated so that's why I lowered it further :)

I'll also mention, though, that I'm 5"5" and 170ish lbs...you're a little lighter than me, but taller. MFP calculates 1350 calories a day (net) for me to lose 1 lb/wk. I end up eating about 2000 calories (gross) daily with my exercise and activity cals, and I'm set to sedentary. f you're truly eating only 1400 calories gross, your issue isn't double dipping because you aren't eating exercise calories anyway.

She still would be double dipping even though she isn’t eating those calories back because she would think her deficit is twice as high as it is in reality. For example: if I switch to lightly active and MFP gives me 1500 calories a day. I then log my 200 calories on top of that. I don’t eat those 200 calories back, but I do eat the 1500, I AM eating back my exercise calories but I don’t realize that. Now I think that I ate 1500 but burned 200 so I believe I netted 1300 calories for the day since I accounted for my exercise twice. A smaller deficit than I think I have will cause me to either not lose at all or lose more slowly than I anticipated.
  • dragon_girl26
    edited October 2020
    Options

She still would be double dipping even though she isn’t eating those calories back because she would think her deficit is twice as high as it is in reality. For example: if I switch to lightly active and MFP gives me 1500 calories a day. I then log my 200 calories on top of that. I don’t eat those 200 calories back, but I do eat the 1500, I AM eating back my exercise calories but I don’t realize that. Now I think that I ate 1500 but burned 200 so I believe I netted 1300 calories for the day since I accounted for my exercise twice. A smaller deficit than I think I have will cause me to either not lose at all or lose more slowly than I anticipated.

Yeah, but not really. Acrivity level =/= exercise. Activity level is just what you do throughout the day outside of exercise. In my case, I work a desk job so I am sedentary, even though I workout daily.. Double dipping would be more like if you chose lightly active thinking it includes exercise, ate those calories, and then logged exercise and ate those calories as well.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You are already in the healthy weight range for your height (albeit on the higher high of the BMI), weight loss is going to be slow and low. Your calorie intake will need to be on the ball, and you will likely need to weigh everything not just butter and milk.

You need to work out what is making you bloated and gassy, keep a strict food journal and monitor your body's reaction to the foods you are eating.

If you have set your profile to lose 2lb a week you may want to set to 1lb a week given that you are already in the healthy weight range, you will have a higher calorie intake but once you start weighting your solid foods and measuring your fluids (with calories) you will have a more accurate count of calories.

I would say set the goal to lose 1/2 lb. a week.
  • dragon_girl26
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for all the responses! My diary is completely accurate as I have been doing this for a long time (and will always check if the nutrition on the app lines with the nutrition on my food labels). I presume it is mostly a result of water retention and possibly stress.
    I've been on this new diet for a little under 2 months and the only time I seen the scale drop was when I had a week break from the gym, so I do think maybe the heavy lifting is causing me to retain excess water or something along those lines?

When was this drop? How far along were you into your new diet, and how much was the drop? I'm wondering if maybe you are a "whoosh"-er..
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Yeah, but not really. Acrivity level =/= exercise. Activity level is just what you do throughout the day outside of exercise. In my case, I work a desk job so I am sedentary, even though I workout daily.. Double dipping would be more like if you chose lightly active thinking it includes exercise, ate those calories, and then logged exercise and ate those calories as well.

No, my point still stands. OP believes they are eating in a deficit, but in the following scenario they might not be: If you are sedentary and select active and then enter your exercise on top of it, you’ll look at what you THINK your net calories are and be “how am I not losing weight, this makes no sense” as you will be unknowingly counting exercise twice. Whether or not you eat those calories doesn’t really matter as you believe you are eating fewer of your allotted calories than you are in reality.
  • dragon_girl26
    edited October 2020
    Options

No, my point still stands. OP believes they are eating in a deficit, but in the following scenario they might not be: If you are sedentary and select active and then enter your exercise on top of it, you’ll look at what you THINK your net calories are and be “how am I not losing weight, this makes no sense” as you will be unknowingly counting exercise twice. Whether or not you eat those calories doesn’t really matter as you believe you are eating fewer of your allotted calories than you are in reality.

Sure, you're in less of a deficit than what you think, but at the end you'd still be in a deficit (after all,, shed be eating base calories + "exercise", which is how MFP is supposed to work...in your example its all just combined under MFP's base calories via activity level setting). It might show that you have 500 calories extra remaining in the green number (or whatever, just an example number here) on top of your deficit. In my scenario, though, in eating your exercise calories twice, you'd possibly be eating your entire deficit.

Either way, OP is doing 10K steps a day, weight training,, and grossing 1400 calories, so if she is truly eating that little for her activity level,, she isn't overeating anyway.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Sure, you're in less of a deficit than what you think, but at the end you'd still be in a deficit (after all,, shed be eating base calories + "exercise", which is how MFP is supposed to work...in your example its all just combined under MFP's base calories via activity level setting). It might show that you have 500 calories extra remaining in the green number (or whatever, just an example number here) on top of your deficit. In my scenario, though, in eating your exercise calories twice, you'd possibly be eating your entire deficit.

Either way, OP is doing 10K steps a day, weight training,, and grossing 1400 calories, so if she is truly eating that little for her activity level,, she isn't overeating anyway.

But she could be overeating if she is eating 1400 AFTER exercise if she also has her activity level set to active when she is sedentary. I don’t know if that’s the case, it’s a hypothesis. She isn’t eating the exercise calories back, but she is (I believe) logging them in MFP to count towards her total caloric intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    jquedal wrote: »
    I track things in my diary that are private so I won't be making it public. Maybe I will find a way to share it through screen shots with someone encouraging in the future. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

🤔 trying to figure out what foods are so naughty they can’t be seen. The torture is real.

I've had a couple of binges where I ate things in quantities or combinations that would be . . . awkward if I knew some people IRL knew about them. Over the internet, I tend not to be hung up on it, especially since I'm generally candid about the fact that I've struggled with disordered eating.

I mean, if someone found out about it, I'd deal with the embarrassment, but I can understand why some people might be more shy about sharing their dairy.

(Of course, if I was in the midst of rough things and eating margarine straight out of the tub with Splenda and cinnamon dumped on top, I would also understand why my weight loss wasn't behaving as expected and I wouldn't be blaming it on my hormones, so it's kind of moot for the purposes of this discussion).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Today is my eight year anniversary with MFP. I am in maintenance, trying to recomp. I STILL find errors in my logging! Recipes change, pre-packaged foods don't always weigh what you would expect. Bread slices vary. Protein bars! Don't even get me started on how much protein bars can vary from package to package! Weigh your foods. All of them. Even the embarrassing ones. ;)

THIS. I have been logging every day since 2015. I'm a food scale devotee who double checks entries for accuracy. Several times a year I STILL find that I've been inadvertently estimating the calories in something. Sometimes it's no big deal because it was something I only ate rarely or a few times. But I've also found some serious goofs for foods that I eat a lot.