Strict calories deficit: not losing weight!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Extreme dieting is never a good idea. You didn’t gain weight instantly, you don’t need to try to lose it instantly
  • bethanyjxx
    bethanyjxx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi guys thanks for all the responses! My diary is completely accurate as I have been doing this for a long time (and will always check if the nutrition on the app lines with the nutrition on my food labels). I presume it is mostly a result of water retention and possibly stress.
    I've been on this new diet for a little under 2 months and the only time I seen the scale drop was when I had a week break from the gym, so I do think maybe the heavy lifting is causing me to retain excess water or something along those lines?
  • jquedal
    jquedal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I track things in my diary that are private so I won't be making it public. Maybe I will find a way to share it through screen shots with someone encouraging in the future. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!
  • jquedal
    jquedal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    jquedal wrote: »
    I track things in my diary that are private so I won't be making it public. Maybe I will find a way to share it through screen shots with someone encouraging in the future. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions!

Good idea.
    Do bear in mind that sometimes help doesn't come sugar-coated but the intention is still to help.

Sugar-coating is 5 cals that could have been avoided......

I agree. I don't tend to sugar coat much of anything... :smile:

Thank you
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    bethanyjxx wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for all the responses! My diary is completely accurate as I have been doing this for a long time (and will always check if the nutrition on the app lines with the nutrition on my food labels). I presume it is mostly a result of water retention and possibly stress.
    I've been on this new diet for a little under 2 months and the only time I seen the scale drop was when I had a week break from the gym, so I do think maybe the heavy lifting is causing me to retain excess water or something along those lines?

NEW lifting may cause a spike water retention initially, and you may always carry a few pounds of water, but it won't STOP weight loss for two months.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    jquedal wrote: »
    I just posted this same issue and basically got told that I'm logging my calories wrong... I do think being older, especially as a woman, can complicate things. I'm having to workout harder, eat less and be hungrier. I will tell you, years ago, when I had an autoimmune disease and some food allergies diagnosed, as soon as I quit those foods I lost an immediate ten pounds. Look into an anti-inflammatory, blue zone, or plant based (not vegan) diet. Also think about getting your thyroid tested, having a hormonal panel run, and getting tested for allergies. I also lost weight after having my hormones run by Dr who did a whole panel run multiple times during my luteal phase. I was very imbalanced and some supplementation for a few months helped me lose weight and get back in balance. Right now though I'm in the same boat as you. Going up and down a pound despite herculean efforts. I'm going back to the doctor soon. I'm sick of it and tired of being told I don't know how to count my calories 🙄

I dont understand why some many people don't understand how much hormones a can affect a woman's weight. They acknowledge that women hold onto it often during their periods but not that the same could be true if hormones are out of whack all month long.

Hormones I have little doubt can lead to weight gain. Not so much on the calories out side. There are a few conditions that might have a marginal effect, but I think the greatest impact of hormones is calories in. Certain hormones can raise appetite no doubt, but that will not slow weight loss unless one is logging accurately and at the right deficit. I find it odd that many folks who feel too "embarrassed" to open their diaries feel they are on point. One quick look at the research suggest that people under report "bad" foods. I don't think they are "bad", but probably easy to over eat on. The folks with the highest under reporting were overweight and obese women.
  • bethanyjxx
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So OP a couple of very simple questions without you having to open your diary.

1) do you weigh everything, or use measuring cups? And by everything, we mean everything. If you take a couple of slices of bread, do you weigh them? Do you weigh packaged food? Or just go by what's stated on the packet. You said you measure milk and butter, that's good. Again, do you weigh these or cups/spoons?

2) what sort of calories from exercise do you get each day, and what exercises are you doing, for how long? How are you working out the calories?

3) are you eating all those exercise calories?

4) whats your deficit set to?

1. i use weighing scales - i don't tend to weigh things like bread, but if i was to eat anything out of a packet it'd be weighed (i even weigh minor minor minor things like broccoli and lettuce, which barely take up my calories). i do weigh as much as possible.

2. i tend to walk an average of 10k steps a day (some days its a little less, some days its a lot more, it really depends) and then i have a 1 hour weight session comprising of legs (glute dominant days and quad dominant days), push days and pull days. usually i go the gym 4 times a week, but sometimes more/less depending on how busy i am. never less than 3 though.

3. i don't eat back exercise calories, and have only went over my calories (by roughly 200) on a handful of days

4. my setting is set to lose 2 pounds a week, which gives me a deficit of 1410.
  • bethanyjxx
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Does not compute.

If you are counting/logging cals consumed ACCURATELY and are consuming fewer cals than you burn each day, there's NO WAY that you would/could be gaining wt.

i understand science, i 100% agree this is NOT possible, which is why i am so confused. i know for certain i am strict with my calorie counting (even if i miscalculated it by even a few hundred calories i should still be under my calorie burn for the day as i don't eat back exercised calories).

i am considering lowering my calories to 1200 for a few weeks (i know this is extremely low though) just to see if i see any differences. i used to have extreme disordered eating patterns so a suggestion is that my metabolism has been severely damaged from this but i don't know how possible/plausible this is.