WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    My husband's hip is more of a lower back problem. He has seen doctors and an osteopath. No joy. :'( Getting an MRI is virtually impossible, unless he pays privately. It's wear and tear in his lower spine, I'm sure. His posture is terrible. Like an S bend. If he didn't do so much exercise I'm sure he would be immobile by now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Making a huge batch of Southern Cornbread Dressing....think Paula Deen. Will take a pan up to my son's tomorrow so they can take it to DnL's mother's house on TG day. I am not cooking a bird but will cook pork tenderloin in the Insta Pot and make gravy to go with my part of the dressing.

Carol in GA
  • BeautyNBriefcase
    BeautyNBriefcase Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon - does your husband have Spinal Stenosis by any chance?
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: I am positive that our son and DDIL will send many puppy photos. Their new pup is named Frankie & they are happy with him. In my world view, life is better when you have a dog. I am very happy for all of them. :star:

Machka: I watched a cricket match on TV once and found it quite interesting. I had never seen another. My brain wants to compare it with baseball, but it simply doesn’t work. They are quite different. :ohwell:

Kate UK: I love our stove top pressure cooker that we've had for many years, and our Instant Pot, too. They are both trustworthy. We had an electric crock pot and wound up with food poisoning because it didn’t cook hot enough. We won’t be replacing it or donating it to the thrift store. It went right to the landfill. :grumble:

Lisa: “I’m personally getting better every day.” YAY!!!!! I am so happy for you. :heart: :bigsmile: :heart:

Faetta: Our neighbors got in their RV and went away. We think they went to California because they did that last year and enjoyed themselves. We didn’t have a chance to talk to them before they left. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I love your book cover and the kind thought of your friend to send the photo of her granddaughter with the book. :bigsmile:

I have a second dental appointment for today. The first was a new patient appointment. The second appointment is later this afternoon because she had a cancellation and had the time available. The dentist will work on my teeth. They need attention.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,446 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    KJ Kelly, oh I empathize with you on the trials and tribulations of pottie training! All my sons were late with pottie proficiency. My eldest was in Japan when he was learning, and so heck all his friends were learning. Unfortunately all my Japanese mommas would let their kids just pee on a bush, or thru a grate on the side of the street. (um son you aren't a puppy, you hold it till we get home")! Also teaching him to aim was interesting because the ladies stalls out in the grocery or department stores had "squatters" so I had to lift him up, and face his body downward into the tiled hole of death. If I didn't he would have just peed on the wall... So, that was fun and LOUD! Nothing like telling your child you're holding over a toilet in the floor to relax, just breathe, no Momma won't drop you.
    My middle son had cloth diapers, and a handy diaper service, but at one point I bought some padded undies, but he didn't seem to understand those were NOT diapers. So I bought the cheapest diapers I could find and put them on his body. Oh he hated those, and had one traumatic session while trying to get the cheap diapers off his body, a drop of pooh landed on his cheek. So not to have that experience again, he started using the pottie. Much to my relief.
    My youngest had no interest in learning. So I just stopped putting diapers on him. I had little "play stations" around the living room and toy room. I laid beach towels around them to catch any accidents. I told him if he wanted to leave one toy station and move to another, he had to pee in the pottie (little sit down plastic one). Like Thomas The Train. I gave him sippy cup after sippy cup, so I knew he'd either get bored of the toys at one station, or have to pee sooner or later. I had a huge chart with times, stations, and if he peed on the towels he got a sad face, and if he peed in the pottie he got a happy face. At the end of the day we'd count up the tally. If he got a certain number of happy faces= happy mommy. But a certain number of sad faces = sad disappointed mommy. It was a week of PEE, and he did learn if he wanted to play with all his toys, he needed to pee in the pottie.
    I swear the connection between a little boys brain and to his peepee, is something us moms just needed to order, or something. But the piece part never came, or we just didn't know the company to order it from!

<3
    Rebecca

oh, those squatter toilets in Japan!!! Thankfully, we didn't have to deal with many of them when we were there for two weeks. The few times we did were so terrible for my husband. It was right before he went in for his hip replacement surgery- Trying to squat with really bad hips was so hard on him.

Debbie

awe, that must've been so difficult for hubby. :-( I know when we were there both times from 1986-1988, then 1991-1994 Japan's views on accessibility when it came to any handicaps were non existent. No larger stalls for people using wheelchairs, no special elevators at the train stations. To be honest, we never saw any people with disabilities. Like they did not exist. No people with seeing eyed dogs, or canes, or anything.
    <3
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Options
    :star:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk 2 store n more w/family- 2hrs 36min 4sec, 3.10 ap, 149elev, 80ahr, 101mhr, 8.15mi= 828c
    Strava app = 988c
    Zwift bike trainer- 28.50min, 118elev, 21amph, 138ahr, 162mhr, 10.09mi= 314c
    Strava app = 257c

Total cal 1142
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    :heart:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - I print to PDF in place of actually printing for those “keep for your records”. When you go to print you can change your Printer to “Microsoft Print to PDF” when it comes up it can just be saved as a file on your computer.

Barbara - I don’t know if this sewing machine works or not. I was keeping this for a friend who was going through a very bad time and had no home for a while. Her daughter and Father kept threatening to turn into something else. Between my daughter and I we have all of her treasured possessions. It was her Grandmother’s and she was panicked about it. She has since given it to me outright, but I haven’t tried to use it, it still has all of the original attachments in one of the drawers.

Heather - that must make you feel so happy to see a child enjoying your book.
    Has Johnny looked at physio for help with his hips/back? I was having terrible lower back pain, I could barely get out of a comfortable chair or couch. Come to find out it was actually my hips out of alignment and all related to my posture. Now I notice it quickly if I’m not sitting or walking properly and can correct it so I’m not in pain. My hips lock up there are some very simple exercises that helped me. Search Hip flexor and you should find some. One I do often is just get on my hands and knees and stretch my legs out behind me and to the side one at a time.

Every physical pain I have had has been caused by more poor posture, I should have listened to my Grandmother more when she told me to sit up straight.

Tough day at work, I’ll leave it at that. Thankful that The Voice is on tonight so I can watch something uplifting.

I have a couple more stockings to work on and hopefully that will help my mind a bit.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - I print to PDF in place of actually printing for those “keep for your records”. When you go to print you can change your Printer to “Microsoft Print to PDF” when it comes up it can just be saved as a file on your computer.

Tracey in Edmonton

Me too!!

And if for some reason you don't have the Microsoft Print to PDF option, you can download Cute PDF and use that. :)

Only when I have to actually carry papers into a meeting or something will I print to paper.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I have two medical appointments:

1. Eyes - I was hoping to wait until next April before I got my eyes checked, but I'm having a terrible time seeing my computer screen. You're all blurry!!

2. Teeth - yep, that tooth again. It's still not quite right. I really hope this time it get shaved down to the correct level. Yes, she's using that carbon paper stuff to check. Yes, she checked me lying back and sitting most of the way up. But last time, it just felt that much better than it had so I thought it was going to be OK, but it isn't.

I'm trying to get all these in before Christmas and before we shut down again!!

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    (
  • Katla49
    Options
    (((Tracey:)))) So sorry you had a tough day. I hope you get a good night’s rest. 😴😴😴.

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Barbara, my computer was refusing to acknowledge the existence of any printer. I'm not sure what hubby did, but now there is a copy of my printer on my computer and that's what I use to print. The frustrating part is/was that I had been able to use my printer just fine, even after I got the new computer, and then all of a sudden it was a no-go. But it's fixed now, for now anyway! lol
    Only when I have to actually carry papers into a meeting or something will I print to paper. Machka, I'm a little old school and like to be able to print stuff out. I never did print out the paperwork for the rebate, but I do have the confirmation number written down so will be able to access it if necessary. I also print out recipes and patterns, so not having a printer was a pain. I'm much happier when all my technology works! lol
    Today was a bit of a lazy day, not sure why but I woke up with a screaming headache, took sinus medication and it went away eventually. Anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to look into making some 3D masks that a friend was talking about. I found the pattern, had to go down to hubby's computer and print it out, along with the directions, but the bottom line is, I made one, I love it! My glasses don't fog up! At least they didn't when I was trying it, and I even tried to make them fog! So I made two more and have cut out enough fabric to make four more. I will post photos when I'm done. Hopefully will get them done tomorrow. After I go to my core strength class, of course! I see my chiropractor tomorrow afternoon, that's going to be a good thing, she has certainly had her work cut out for her with me lately, not sure what's going on, delayed stress probably. I suspect there's a LOT of that going on!
    Anyway, that's it for me for today. Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: had hot cocoa with nonfat dry milk instead of international coffee last night, hung out with repair guy today.
    Bonus: opened TWO boxes, made up a box for donations, took with bicycle and helmet to thrift store.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, wipe down left side of Aunt Elsie’s stove with the last of the ammonia, shift burner grates to get last of gunk, coffee/stroll with C and T, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, make cookie batter for when Aunt Elsie’s stove is working, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    23 Set aside a regular time to pursue an activity you love: dog games, line dancing, make them daily habits. .

Sooo, the stove repair guy brought the repaired burners and got them working, but forgot to bring the oven burner. He’ll come back Wednesday and finish up. So focused my energy on going through two boxes of STUFF. The good news is made up a box of donations and a half box of recycling. The bad news is the remaining half box’s worth of stuff has exploded all over my office and looks like three times as much stuff. So ended the day with too few steps, too much junk food (Burger King Rodeo meal blearg, won’t do that again), and too little organization/space in my office. Joe did encourage me and said “I know how hard it is for you to get rid of stuff.” What a pleasant surprise! Thanked him for his understanding.

Machka, yes, that helps!
    Kate Brava to you and your daughter. What a good character you raised her to have!
    Lisa thankful to hear of your progress. ((Healing Hugs))
    Heather glad the liver test was normal and the iron is only a bit out of kilter. Big relief after scary time. :love: the pic, and your book looks v. appealing.
    Margaret your “cabin in the city” sounds like it does for you, what going down to the power line and pulling salal does for me, calming distance from suffering, grumpy husbands.
    Fae wow! Your mom jeans looked so loose I couldn’t imagine you had all those layers. Well done!
    Katla and Debbie good luck at the DDS!
    Welcome @BeautyNBriefcase ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Tracey you’re right, I should have listed to Mama when she told me to sit/stand up straight too!
    Machka really hope ?third? time is really the charm for your poor tooth.
    Evelyn glad your DH was able to re-add your printer. Looking forward to pics of your 3D fog-free masks.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh: 23, steps>5491=6436 yesterday :smile: 3536 today :frowning: vits=23 log=23 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=11 Tumble & Shadow 5=23 mfp=23 outside=19 up hill=18
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=4 dance=2 clean 30 mins=17.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=15 play=0 sew=0
  • Katla49
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Heather: I am sorry that Johnny is in pain. I’m glad that he is able to exercise. :heart:

Carol in GA: Cornbread dressing sounds great. DH has been put on a gluten free diet, and we found an excellent gluten free cornbread recipe. It is so good! It has a great flavor and cake like texture. That would be wonderful for Thanksgiving. Yum! Thank you for a great idea! :star:

Evelyn: Congratulations on making 3D masks. I hope you’ll post a photo here so that we can see them. :flowerforyou:

I’m up in the middle of the night with a grumpy tummy. Something I ate yesterday gave me acid reflux that has me sitting up at 1:30am. Not pleasant. :ohwell: Earlier in the night I saw Mars. There was a break in clouds and I looked up at the sky at just the right time to see it. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Heather - Loved seeing your children's book in the hands of a child, and I'm sure you did, too. Sorry Johnny's hurting. Looked up gluteal tendinopathy, and it looks quite painful as well. Glad the tests they were able to show for you aren't very far out of the range they should be, hope the liver results are good, as well.

Beth - I keep meaning to say and keep forgetting - so glad that your son has found his voice in advocating for his own care. It's such a big step for anyone.

Allie - hope you're doing well. Thinking of you.

Katla - hope your acid reflux is gone this morning. No fun at all.

Stinker of a sinus headache this morning, but trying to ignore it as best I can. Went to bed with it, too. My nerves in my upper back are pinched a bit as well, either from hauling a few heavy things around yesterday, or just horrible posture, so am feeling quite sorry for myself. I'm thinking a nap is in my future, once I get Corey off to work. That should improve my outlook.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Tracey, Lisa, Katla, Barbara et al - That book I wrote way back in the 80s. It was very hard to place until the wonderful illustrator Tony Ross picked it off the desk at Anderson Press and took it home with him. He is a great genius.
    The book was selected as one if the Children's Books of the Year. It still sells a few copies and has been translated into many languages. It is one of the things I am most proud of.
    My friend’s daughter said that Iris asked for it to be read to her three times yesterday. It was the daughter that sent the photo to her mum. :D<3 It is still available on Amazon, I think.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Hi SuziQ!