WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Rita: I have experienced colitis in my past and know how horrid it can be. My problem was caused by milk products containing lactose. The "doctor" who finally diagnosed lactose intolerance was a huge blessing in my life. She was my roommate in college & we shared an apartment. Since then there have been many lactose free products created from cartons of lactose free milk, to cottage cheese & other milk based products that have become available lactose free. I have always been able to eat cottage cheese, but I can’t eat whipped cream. There are now plenty of lactose free products that simulate whipped cream. None of them that I know about are calorie free. :wink:

Beth: Our whole state is on lockdown as far as I know. Some places will be on lockdown for longer periods of time due to health issues in more highly populated cities and counties. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I like your poster titled “Note to Self.” The conclusion, “Just keep doing your thing with as much integrity and love as possible,” is absolutely good advice. Thank you! :heart:

I’ve been watching political news from CNN on my computer. It has gone reasonably well, but the commercials that are broadcast on TV are also there on my computer. I don’t like it. I guess I’ll have to watch CNN downstairs on the TV. I can easily mute the commercials down there. I don't like advertisements on my laptop.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I read CNN on my phone. It's easier to avoid the ads that way.

Annie in Delaware where life is slow until we start cooking.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Greetings to all of you lovely ladies.

Have I mentioned how nice it is to have the week off? I did log in this morning for a quick email check and there was nothing pressing. This week is the slowest at work so it’s a good one to take off. Many others are doing the same.

Word and Catching Up – Like many I keep Word open and alt/tab between the two programs. It helps me respond and I also have a running record of what I have posted.

Shopping – I prefer to do my own shopping as it really is something I enjoy. I think because I love to cook it’s part of the process and being able to pick out the best is important to me. I have spoken to a lot of people and they love Insta Cart and Shipt. The shoppers will call and ask if you want a replacement. Many will also take pictures of what is available. It has gained popularity during this time in history.

Fae – It’s my thought the disagrees are just accidents. And, we must always remember people have different interpretations, beliefs, and lives. It’s ok to agree to disagree, even if it’s someone’s life experience. Also, that pesky disagree button is so close to the hug button I think people hit it by accident.

Lisa – Glad to hear you’re okay with the EKG results and also glad the doctor is working with you in finding a decent solution and ruling out other things before jumping the gun.

Dr Katie – Sending prayers to your aunt. It’s so difficult when our loved ones are sick.

Lanette – Your colorful meal from the middle of November looked delicious. I lean towards eating the rainbow.

Machka – Many years ago a person I worked with asked me not to say “G bless you”. He indicated only G could bless him, not a common person. I still say bless you to everyone that sneezes – strangers and friends alike. Love the tree of the year!

Kim – You’re looking at the wrong people in leggings…..LOL!

Lanette – There have been no paper shortages here. I think it’s due to the limits on buying certain items which the stores have kept in place. I have been making sure to get to Costco when I start running low and then I do not have to worry about it for 3+ months. 😊 During the beginning of this I had to use alternative means for 1 and 2 (reserving paper for 2) and swore I would try and avoid having to do that again. I had to do way too much laundry.

Debbie – If I wear leggings out I also wear a longer shirt.

Barbara – So sorry to hear about your nephew.

Heather – I chuckled over your men in shorts comment. In Florida everyone is in shorts all year. Locals are typically in pants during the winter months, but with so many tourists here it is summer year round.

Beth – So sorry to hear you’re at emergency with hubby and his heart. So many are suffering right now.

Up to page 40. Only 31 more pages to go!!
    SuziQ – SFL
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It appears my migraines from the weekend are a sign of something bigger and unpleasant. Let's just say I may spend Thanksgiving in the ER if things don't improve significantly. Now, my doc is discussing putting me on HRT. Do any of you have experience with this? I'm concerned about the increase in breast cancer risk, even though that doesn't run in my family.

Any words of wisdom?

Glad to see you back SuziQ.

Tina
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day

Walk w/family- 2hrs 33min 20sec, 3.02ap, 80ahr, 133mhr, 8.14mi= 835c
    Strava app = 987c

No spin today
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Katla my colitis was diagnosed about a year ago and is called collagenous colitis and is not curable. It is controlled by a low level steroid but flare ups can still happen. It’s just not as bad as when I was first diagnosed. I do react to gluten but not lactose. Tested it. It is one of those things I just have to live with and suffer through every so often. A chronic problem I have to live with.

Thanks for your advice though, I appreciate you trying to help. I only wish it was something I can control by food.

RV Rita
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Morning Walk

35 degrees F but sunny and fast warming.
    2.57 miles, 8151 steps, and 246 calories burned.

I cut my hair yesterday and made a royal mess of it.

Before walk
    15f01rhi78su.jpg

During walk
    9o6swql52f19.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how Allie is getting along after surgery. Has anyone heard from her?

Katla
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Winter 2020/21 walking look
    oy72faw8wsr5.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    uxvb8z0ib57i.png

I'm still sort of looking for a grad dress ... something I could wear out to dinner but could also wear to work. However, after trying on a bunch today, I told my husband that I was going to try on the dresses in my closet this weekend. "Are you doing that to avoid buying a grad dress?" he asked. Yep! So far there isn't anything I really like in the shops. But there's another place I'll check tomorrow.

I'm also considering getting my nails done, but not sure if it is worth it. I've never had my nails done and like my nails short so I can type.

I'm blonde-ing the top of my hair to get rid of the grey roots and am debating about getting a trim.

And I picked up some new makeup for when I get the photos done.

As it is still 3.5 weeks away until my grad, I've also started doing some additional exercise: core work and upper body weight lifting, etc. I started last weekend. And it's not just for my grad, I need to do exercises for my right elbow which is still giving me trouble. Plus I like my arms to look a little bit muscular when I wear sleeveless tops at work.

I'm also watching my diet in preparation for both the grad and Christmas. If I could lose 1-2 kg, that would be very nice. :)

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Are you all tiring of me yet? 😊 I am not sure if my marathon catch up will be completed today. I am putting my best foot forward.

Margaret – I am glad you reported the aggressive dog. I believe there are only bad owners; not bad dogs/animals.

Allie – TG you got in and they were able to diagnose you. You certainly were not going crazy.

Debbie – I love the Christmas tree ornament.

Ginny – Sorry to hear about the UTI and the health challenge. Sending positive thoughts for a quick recovery.

Kylia – Glad to see your post. Hope all is well.

Beth – So sorry to hear about the staff member testing positive at your son’s home. Sending positive thoughts no one else in the home gets sick.

Barbara – I am back – sorry about dropping out. Lots of small and large personal projects and decisions to make. As mentioned work has been crazy busy with longer hours spent in front of a computer all day. I have been trying to figure out some type of balance. 😊

KJ – So glad your fundraiser was a success. Also happy for your son and his girlfriend.

Ginny – I love that you’re spoiling your family now. It’s what they will remember when you are gone – not some inheritance. 😊 Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

Tina – Ok, I must comment and provide a personal update. I had to buy a new car (more on that after I catch up). I did not walk on to a lot until pricing and financing was negotiated. I went online, selected what I wanted and contacted two dealerships and had a bidding war. I told them each I have no loyalty and the best place will win. 😊 All negotiating was done via text or email. Told them not to call. Regardless of what they are saying they are NOT selling cars and deals can be made. You have to stick to your guns. Pick what you want, research via some of the car sites, and then start your negotiations.

Heather – Love little Edie playing the cello. She looks so professional. Glad to hear the doctor is not concerned with DH’s symptoms.

Annie – I had to laugh over your mom’s supermarket trip. So sorry about the food challenge – she wants to make sure everyone can eat.

Debbie – Wow, I cannot believe how much you make! How do you not taste it all? Everything looks delicious and professionally made.

Tracey – Love, love, love the stocking.

Allie – Sorry to hear you were in the emergency room. Just read you need surgery. TG you went to the hospital. Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

Viv – Sorry to hear about you and your mom’s eye problems. Hoping the appointments bring relief. Also sorry to hear about the roof repairs.

Carol – Sending positive thoughts.

Lisa – I do not want to get block so I will leave a vague comment. I just think it’s a darn shame you have to wait for anything medical. Enough said.

Pip – Good decision regarding Thanksgiving. Even though my small party (total 4 of us) was planned to be outdoors we all decided it’s best for us to forgo seeing each other this year. The healthcare professionals are starting to prove it’s the small family gatherings that are fueling the spread. We want to believe everyone in our circle/family are safe, but this thing is just too easy to pick up.

Michelle – Cute puzzle. I always loved the Cookie Monster. Those look like ceiling fan paddles – repurposed. 😊 Oh, it appears many have made the same guess as me.

Page 50 – I am getting closer! Oh, remind me never to get so behind!!!

Hugs to all; prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Debbie-I am sure my thoughts on pressure cookers are left over from washing walls after a couple of explosions from them when I was a child! Also-I only cook for myself.

Allie-glad you will be soon moved to cardiac area-that is a good sign.

SuziQ-glad to hear from you. I have gotten behind nearly a month and I just give up on most responding!

Machka-Congratulations on officially passing! I had no doubts you would, but it is nice to see it in writing.

Hips-I have had both replaced, left in 2016 and right in 2018. So far so good. Most problem I have is with some tendon issue in left (I think due to ignoring problem for too long). Stretches help tremendously, but I sometimes get lazy with them and pay for it.

Got to gym yesterday just to do bike and treadmill-put a hold on lifting until I see doctor for prolapse issues tomorrow. Due to the status of Covid in our area, I doubt that anything surgical will be considered at this time. Hopefully he can come up with alternatives that take care of the issue.

Going to spend quiet Thanksgiving by myself. Going to make a turkey breast and have supplies to make soup afterwards. Will just do green bean casserole, baked sweet potato and cranberry salad. I have made plans with someone I work with that when I take my walk past her house Thanksgiving morning, I will text and she will come to porch so we can wish each other a happy day. She and her husband are doing their Thanksgiving alone and not hosting the family as usual.

Got walk in after work. A bit cool out but felt good to move around after a day at the computer. Need to go deal with a couple of emails that I didn’t finish before walk.

Stay safe all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    Options
    Tonight’s full moonnnj6mcehhwxh.jpeg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Allie ... the ICU is the absolute best place to be when in the hospital ... don't rush to get out. You won't get nearly the same care anywhere else in the hospital.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Sue – I love the goats – lovely models.

Karen – Miss you and your posts even though I have been gone for a while. I hope all is well in your world.

Tracey – I am loving the new season of “This is Us”. I am also happy “A Million Little Things” has started up again. So sorry to hear about the case at the facility. So scary; not only for you but all of the residents.

Barbie – Sorry to hear Jake was unable to get his haircut. It’s my hope things stay opened here – they have been even though the numbers are climbing very rapidly.

Michelle – The last time I thought I had a wart on my foot it ended up being a stuffed sweat gland (yes, in my foot). The doctor tried to manually cut it out (it did not hurt) a few times and I finally had to have it lasered out. I think it’s back after 3 years and I have been putting off going to the podiatrist. I have been filling that area down which gives me some relief.

Lisa – So glad you’re back. Love your humor. There is still money in greeting cards. Maybe try Hallmark?

Annie – Happy belated birthday to you. Sorry you’re plans changed, but better safe than sorry. Such a romantic. I still have a recording of Charlie singing “Why Do Birds” on my answering machine.

Rita – I love the holiday masks. I am so sorry you’re feeling blue. Big hug to you.

It looks like I will have to stop at page 55. I am skimming now and missing important updates. I will catch up by end of day tomorrow. Oh, vacation is a wonderful thing. And, I have only checked emails once (20 minutes total) and attended one 30-minute meeting (it was an all hands-on by our company’s president). I felt I should at least log in in and listen.

Hugs to all.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Karen in Va ... hope all is well with you ... you've been awfully quiet.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,065 Member
    Options
    SuziQ: Delightrd to see your posts. I’m also growing my hair out. 😂