WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M - but they say that the "entire" house shouldn't be in the same theme. To me (and this is just me) it's boring to go to each and every room and there's nothing but the same theme. Oh well....

Michele NC
    who won 4 games of mahjongg tonight

Who says that?

The home magazines here seem to encourage the same style throughout. The Hampton or Tropical Hampton is a really popular style now and I get information about doing that style in all the rooms of the house in my FB feed.

It's all about a unified look.

My house's look is eclectic but the colours and furniture styles are all unified.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: stroll Chetco Point with T
    Bonus: butter pecan fudge, more veg prep
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, Copy CPFA folder and deliver to Chief, corrected roster to Cal-Or, analyze CPFA folderwatch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next Thursday at BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    14: Share a happy memory or inspiring thought with a loved one: .

OK Lisa and gals, here goes:
    ===
    What excites you right now? scheduled strolls with T & D. While I usually resent having to be somewhere at a specific time to do something, turns out too much free time is not good for my spirits. Found that scheduling strolls gives me something to look forward to.

What are you looking forward to? See above.

What’s the best thing that happened to you this year? Joe sharing details about his vision and how he feels about the surgery and recovery process.

Where did you grow up? N. Calif (0-9 East Bay Area, 9-18 Ukiah, 18-22 Berkeley, 22 Russian River, 22-45 East Bay Area, 45-67 Boise Idaho, 67-70 Southern Oregon Coast.

What do you do for fun? Google, walk dogs, line dance, Spider and FreeCell solitaire, read, dink around in the kitchen and garden.

Is there a charitable cause you support? Yes, a little to a different one each month (churches, food banks, public and community radio and tv, Wikipedia, animal shelters, activity center.

What is the one thing you like best about yourself? I like that I’m honest, warmhearted, generous, good with details, and truly trying to be a better listener.

What’s the most important thing I should know about you? I prefer dogs to people.
    ===
    Tina so glad you are feeling a little better, have both a procedure and talk with Dr. scheduled.
    Julie, I’d call the problem number and hope for the best.
    Debbie, wow. Just wow.
    Welcome @fuzbeme Elizabeth from NW OR! Being able to breathe easier is a great reward!
    Michele IMHO it’s ridiculous to expect you to stand outside in the freezing rain cleaning carts. Could you set up an area inside the entrance, with a sign “sanitized carts” where you put the carts when you’re done with them? and a big red X sign on the group of carts that are “in progress”? ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh: 14, steps>5505=6086 now that’s better! vits=14 log=14 CI<CO=13 CI<250<CO=11 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=14 outside=9 up hill=9
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=1.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0bonus: AF=9 play=0 sew=0

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Michele, I had the same thought as Barbara, is there not a place inside where carts can be sanitised? They could maybe be brought in and out in groups and sanitised inside. And they can see you sanitising inside instead. Sign: "Please find sanitised carts inside"... or at least in shelter. They could also furnish a space heater and makeshifts shelter for doing sanitising in relative comfort. Or else I would think they could furnish VERY very warm and hardcore waterproof clothing (think tundra) so that you can be outside in relative comfort for some time. aye !

online class starting at 9am. dragging today, breakfast in bed after washing up. Some days it's very weird to go from one room to the next and be at work. today is one of those. I have been up for a while but feel like I'm rolling out of bed. most days I aim to go for a short walk before work but sun rises so late now (around 8:30) and it was raining this morning. I try to be courageous but not always doing so great after many months thus.

Tracked all yesterday, for 1st time in a long time. That' something. Ok 10 minutes to get dressed and be there for classes. :|
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    M - but they say that the "entire" house shouldn't be in the same theme. To me (and this is just me) it's boring to go to each and every room and there's nothing but the same theme. Oh well....

Michele NC
    who won 4 games of mahjongg tonight

Who says that?

The home magazines here seem to encourage the same style throughout. The Hampton or Tropical Hampton is a really popular style now and I get information about doing that style in all the rooms of the house in my FB feed.

It's all about a unified look.

My house's look is eclectic but the colours and furniture styles are all unified.

M in Oz

Home Beautiful's Hampton Style ...
    https://www.homebeautiful.com.au/hamptons

Not entirely my favourite look ... I love the blue but too much white for me. :) I'd replace the white with a sand colour and kind of turn it into a Hampton/Modern Coastal look and that is more or less what I've got ... a sort of blue and sand look throughout.

Some other interior trends.

Australian House and Garden ...
    https://www.homestolove.com.au/australian-house-and-garden

Here they talk about home decor trends for 2021:
    https://www.homestolove.com.au/home-decor-trends-2021-21895

And:
    https://www.homestolove.com.au/interior-design-trends-2021-21683

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    grateful: warm dry, comfy bed. breakfast. shower and bath. washing machine.
  • Machka9
    Options
    So many beautiful beachy lounge rooms here ... yes, I'm thinking of touching up our house now that I'm not in uni. :)

https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/beach-style-living-room-design-photos-phbr1-bp~t_10702~s_2310

This is nice ...

beach-style-living-room.jpg

I don't mind this either ...

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    🙈🙉🙊
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Machka9
    Options
    This is nice ... dreaming. :):)

In the new year I might have to start decluttering and decorating a bit. Just a touch up.

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Machka

Must say that this one you mentioned totally looks awful...LOL :s

Here they talk about home decor trends for 2021:
    https://www.homestolove.com.au/home-decor-trends-2021-21895

I do love the beachy looks you posted.

Michele

If you walked through my house you might be appalled! Lots and lots of antique/vintage Asian like lamps and hangings.

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

After years and years of not even owning a coat in California, its hard to get used to the layering but I am trying! I get kind of claustrophobic with more than one layer on, its definitely something I need to acclimate to. <3
    Rebecca

:) I imagine that it would be hard for someone with a history of nudism to be comfortable in a lot of clothing. I have always worn a lot of clothing and find my aversion to nudism has more to do with being cold while undressed than anything else.
  • annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I LOVE calling your walks 'strolls' and I am going to adopt that. It reminds me of when I'd visit my grandparents and go out for a run and my Grandaddy called it 'trotting' (which was more apropos for the speed at which I run)

M in Oz - we have enjoyed watching the Australian based show House Rules, and the past few seasons everyone has wanted a 'Hamptons' look. I wonder how that got transplanted from New Jersey, USA to OZ?

Rebecca - I also feel claustrophobic in winter layers, especially hats and scarves around my neck. I think that may have something to do with why I moved back to Florida. I never miss Michigan living! (well, maybe summers)

OregonMother - I hear you on missing travel. We had to cancel Italy family trip and a BFF trip to Belize last spring. We rescheduled Italy to October thinking surely that was enough time...nope. Then we thought we'd be able to do some hiking in the SW over winter break, but with the surge that seems to risky. Next week we will drive up to the mountains of NC instead.

Welcome Elizabeth! I am new to the group as well, and starting to get to 'know' the wonderful and supportive people here.

Michele - MahJongg has been something I've wanted to learn for such a long time, but never felt safe enough to learn from an experienced player (I have anxiety about being an annoying newbie) My grandmother had a BEAUTIFUL set she bought on a trip to China in the 60s with inlaid mother of pearl and more. I was always fascinated by the tiles.

Barbie - I also like to walk with bluetooth earbuds and lately I've enjoyed listening to Guy Raz 'How I built This' podcast. Before that it was Gretchen Rubin and her sister. What are some of your faves?

Terri - I love that you did the book for your grandson. I've been wanting to ask my mom to write one (she's 82, and an amazing writer and one of the last of her generation in our family) Hearing that you enjoyed it makes me feel more confident. Did you use one of those tools or packages?

bananasandoranges - I love this! "Some days it's very weird to go from one room to the next and be at work." I can so relate.

As for me, my son is home and that is such a nice feeling in my heart (at least for a week or two until we all start annoying each other in our small 1 bathroom house!)

My guys sleep late and I'm a morning person, so I love the quiet time alone. The trick for me is to not squander it on social media and games on my iPad. So now, I'm ready to pop in a podcast and go walking strolling in our cool Florida sunshine morning. 'See' you all later!

Cheers,
    Ann in Dunedin, FL

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Nothing excites me much these days. And I can't think of anything I'm looking forward to. Maybe my depression is coming back or maybe my life is just boring. It explains why I find such delight in overeating.

I'm sort of dating Steven, but all we can do these days is text. It's getting old.

I grew up in Pennsylvania. For fun I read. I do exercise, but I wouldn't call it fun. The aspect I like most about myself is that I'm writing a novel. It's taking years.

One thing you should know about me? I already mentioned my novel, so I will say I am a caregiver for my parents, who are doing very well so far. My mother has memory issues but insists on running the kitchen so I vent about that from time to time.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    If you visited Delaware, we would go to the beach, to Winterthur gardens, and to Turkey Point lighthouse.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Stat for yesterday-

Walk w/family n more- 2hrs 47min 56sec, 2.93ap, 81ahr, 120mhr, 9.01mi= 1012c
    Strava app = 1092c

LisaInAr wrote, if you want people to know more about u, copy ans paste......

I do but too lazy to do it
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Fuzbeme/Elisabeth: Welcome! It is nice to greet a new NW Oregon girl. Best advice I have—measure your portions, count calories, and move more. Moving more can include walking, riding a bike, taking a yoga class or many other possibilities. If you enjoy it, you’re more likely to do it. Post often so we can all get to know you. :star:

Michele: The last time we had significant snow on the ground was January 11, 2017. DH looked up the date for me. We really haven’t even had much rain so far this fall. The lady who cleans the grocery carts at the store where I buy most of our groceries is right outside the entrance to the store under a roof. I’m sure she gets breaks now and then. Like the rest of us, she wears a mask and dresses for the weather. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I love the photo and am drawn to the blue pillows. Nice!!! :star:

Annie Squats: I grew up with seasonal affective disorder—getting depressed in the short days of winter. We have replaced all of the lightbulbs in our house with sunlight temperature lights bulbs. This place is very bright when the lights are on. I’ve also found that Vitamin D3 is a huge help. Your situation likely includes quite a bit of stress. D3 and bright lights might help just a little. Good luck! :heart:

Today I hope to bring our Christmas Tree into the house. It is a living Alberta Spruce tree that grows in a pot outdoors year around, except when we bring it in for the holidays. I look forward to the lights and the ornaments.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I really need a haircut! I wonder what a bob would look like if I let it grow out??
    Wonder if there is an app I can use to experiment?? Hmmm....

RvRita
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

Barbie - I also like to walk with bluetooth earbuds and lately I've enjoyed listening to Guy Raz 'How I built This' podcast. Before that it was Gretchen Rubin and her sister. What are some of your faves?

Cheers,
    Ann in Dunedin, FL

:)Ann, I walk a lot so I need a lot of podcasts. Here are the ones I listen to:
    *Happier with Gretchen Rubin
    *The Happiness Lab (Dr. Laurie Santos)
    *10 % Happier (Dan Harris)
    Notice the theme of Happiness in these
    *Savor
    *Spilled Milk
    *The Sporkful
    Notice the theme of food in these
    *Omnibus (Ken Jennings and John Roderick)
    This is about anything and everything as well as being funny.

<3 Barbie