KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka Hilarious! What a lift!

Karen in Virginia

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Since I handed in my last assignment on October 9, I've discovered something ... I've been just as busy as I was when I was in uni. It's been a mad dash through my list of things to do trying to take care of the most important things and every time I look again, there's more!

Nature abhors a vacuum ... so the minute there's some free space in my schedule, it gets filled!!

A question ... do any of you who work actually have time where you sit down and relax?

I grab about 20 minutes on Friday and Saturday nights to read a chapter in a novel ... but that is so infrequent that I often forget who the characters are and what they are doing!

Occasionally, if is sunny on weekend day, I might sit outside and read for 30 minutes or so.

Otherwise I feel like I'm going 100 km/h all the time.

fryauv79ytbl.png

M in Oz

I used to be like that, but I just decided to stop being so busy all the time. It was a real effort, but I decided it was worth being able to read a book for an hour before bed or a magazine in the afternoon.

Tina
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜🟣💛🟠
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Carol I’ve also used jarred mincemeat to make pies but as I’m the only one who likes it I don’t make it every year. My old Boston School Cookbook has a recipe that contains suet… guess back in the day it was a minced meat pie that morphed into the sweet spicy pastry we know today?

I'm a spoiled brat when it comes to minced meat. I grew up with meat in the pies -- venison, to be exact. The pies were amazing, so savory. And we had them only at Christmas. Yes, there was some dried fruit, but the bulk of it was shredded venison. So delicious. To me calling the jarred stuff minced "meat" is false advertising. Call it dried fruit.

Man I miss my grandma's pies.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Ho, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum!

Work was crazy busy yesterday which was primarily due to my PW not properly working when I logged in yesterday morning. After two very frustrating hours on and off with the help desk I finally got to a very good tech who lead me through the 30-second process of how to clear the issue. She sent me instructions for future use. This issue happens almost every time we have to change our PW (every 60 days). I have never in my life worked for a company with so many IT issues.

Debbie – I know sometimes it is me because I get so frustrated people do not reach out after I reach out to them I just stop. Then I think I am the one isolating myself. My money situation, which has gotten better, does not help because everyone wants to meet somewhere. It is very difficult to get someone just to meet at the beach and take a walk or something a little more frugal, like a cup of coffee. Yesterday I had a very nice conversation with one of our reps. He and his wife moved to Park City 7 years ago and they did not know a single person. They got involved with a few community things (difficult right now – will not be in the future) and built up a great circle. It gives me some hope. Gleaning season starts up in mid-January and I will be volunteering again. I am sure the sunshine and being outside helping others will lift me up. I just need to get through the next few weeks.

Oh no the pesky clock is telling me it is time to start getting ready for work. The virtual cocktail mixer is this evening at 5:30. I am sure it will be interesting and fun. It will be interesting to see how to use tea bags in mixed drinks! 😊

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

what helped me to contact more people- NOT something I am very comfortable starting, is I am in charge of our class reunion. I had to contact classmates about it. Unfortunately it has been postponed until summer, hopefully. While contacting them, some have replied back with nice notes, or wanted to chat. I have actually chatted on FB with a LOT more of them than I ever talked to in high school. I talked to very few in school, and never any of the boys in my class. Found out one that I had a little crush on actually liked me but never talked to me. He just told me a few weeks ago- over 40 yrs later ;) Being at home all the time, which is nothing new to me- have worked at home for about 35 yrs. Reconnecting and just connecting with old classmates has really been fun.
    I know I need to reach out to people and not be hurt because they didn't reach out first(people from church) I need to work on that when we get to go back in again. They are holding services inside but I am choosing to stay home- can't risk carrying something to my parents when I go see them.

Track down one old school friend on FB- send them a Merry Christmas message- see what happens. It is fun tracking them down- see what they look like now, what they are up to.

I look forward to hearing about your virtual cocktail party!

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Sue: I envy your snowfall but understand how much extra work it causes you to take care of your horses. Stay safe and warm. :flowerforyou:

Machka: When I was teaching and commuting for an hour or more twice a day, the drive to and from work was my opportunity to relax. I left home well before the morning rush and arrived at work an hour or more before classes began. I used that time to plan activities and correct papers. At the end of the school day I left as soon as the kids did and managed to miss out on the evening rush hour through Portland. I listened to audio books while driving. :star: I love the Nature abhorred a vacuum cartoon. :laugh: Seasons Greetings is fun, too. Thank you!

Barbara: The photo of snow outside our window was taken several years ago. We haven’t seen a significant amount of snow in a long time. DH has an amazing memory for things like that and says our last significant snowfall was 1/11/2017. Our elevation is about 25 feet above sea level. :star:

SuziQ: In the photo your mom is lovely and you are a very cute little girl. It is a delightful picture of times gone by. :heart: I remember being impressed by your gleaning efforts last year that helped feed the hungry. I think you are generous with your time and that is very admirable. :star:

Faetta: Thanks for a reminder of times gone by! “Yakity Yak!” The Coasters were a great group. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Dogs are some of the best companions that God has ever created. Cats can be excellent companions, too. Long ago I had a cat who would come and sit on my lap when I was having cramps. Her purring was soothing and her body heat eased the cramps. :heart:

Heather: DH has had two haircuts since the pandemic began. I have had none. My last professional haircut was in late December 2019. My hair is getting longer than it has been in years. I have trimmed the hair that frames my face. No one has pointed at me a laughed, so I guess I’m doing okay. :ohwell: The truck traffic jam in your photo is unbelievable. Who would ever have imagined something like this? I’ve seen trucks lined up on Oregon Freeways to put chains on their tires, but nothing like this. :noway: Love the photo of your son and the children. :heart:

Pip: I love the photo! :bigsmile:

Machka: Love the cartoon—"Nature abhorred a vacuum”— :laugh: I liked “Seasons Greetings,” too. We haven’t even had a hard frost yet this winter. Not complaining. :noway: I hope you’re able to ride your bike often. :star:

Barbara: The photo with snow was taken a few years ago. We live beside the Columbia River, which moderates weather somewhat, and there hasn’t even been a hard frost yet this season. NOT complaining. :noway:

Regarding shopping—I go to local grocery stores, & ACE Hardware. Some things are good to buy from Walmart. Nearly everything else comes from Amazon. I wish we’d bought stock in that company back when it started. :ohwell: Costco is too far and is in an area that has had many Covid cases. I keep hoping life will go back to normal, but that does't look like it will happen very soon. I hope the CoVid vaccinations will help us all return to better times.

Katla in Cloudy NW Oregon
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    hello,
    I tried fasting till 10 am. I'm not crazy about fasting but trying to shake it up. I read that for women 14-15 hour fasts can be a good choice. Friend coming by at 6 for a drink and legal curfew at 8pm now, so I can plan to have no more to eat after 8pm. I'll try the 14h-10 intermittant fasting. I don't actually mind not eating in the eyening much, but socially that can be an issue sometimes.

I used to stop eating about midnight but in the last several months I've stopped at about 9 pm.
    I don't eat until 11:30 am at the earliest. Today it was noon.

@Machka9 sit down and relax? if watching a movie counts, yes. if doing nothing is required, a much less, but still some.

There is definitely a temptation to be drawn to the screens...

I don't think I've just sat and watched a movie since I was in my very early 20s. Movies don't keep my attention that well, I start to get bored, and the next thing I know I'm doing laundry or dusting or reading a book or taking photos of Rhody or something.

But I did think of another time I sit down and relax ... on the bus on the way home. Like today! The bus had barely made it to the big hill between the city and where I live when I fell asleep. Next thing I knew I was in the suburb/town where I live. It does make me wonder if I snore when I do that.

Anyway, back to work ... I've got some work-related stuff to do this evening.

M in Oz

@Machka, so that also makes about 14-15 hours fasting or so. I have watched tons since confinement. Today I worked hard all day. a friend was supposed to come by at 6 but wrote early to say she was going to be at least 20 min late. so I relaxed. I called some friends but it was relaxing feeling: no rush, no obligation. I mostly called an old neighbour, to see how she is doing. she's very solitary and lives alone and is 67. she likes confinement. but we were just catching up and it was pleasant.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,218 Member
    Options
    Katla - I feel bad about it, but I buy masses of stuff from Amazon, mostly in bulk. Teabags, coffee, condiments, spices, AF wine, Pernod, and I buy most of my pharmacy and personal cleaning products from them. Toothbrushes, floss, shampoo, conditioner etc etc. etc. Amost everything. I must be their best customer. :* I only go out as far as I can walk and I haven't been to a big supermarket since March. Plus I read their magazines on Prime and watch the occasional foreign film. Not to mention Kindle. My whole life is in their algorithms. :sad: We have at least one delivery a day.
    I don't think this is a good thing, but hugely convenient for us as we limit our going out to shops. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Ho, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum!
    ...I finally got to a very good tech who lead me through the 30-second process of how to clear the issue...

Heather – I love all consistencies of fudge. I think I would enjoy the crumbly texture. I love chocolate covered cherries. I have never seen them with both stone and stalk. I must seek out. 😊 Very happy Johnny was able to touch base with his other daughter and got to see her home.

Machka – Most of my family has passed. The few of us left are spread across the US. Here is a brief example of why I do not stay in touch. About three weeks ago my last aunt passed. My cousin Nikki Lynn let me know via messenger. We had been out of touch for 40 years or so and would FB and message each other from time to time. Nikki Lynn was going through her mom’s pictures and found a few of my mom and dad. The picture of my mom was from the 60s and I had to post on FB because she was simply incredible. My cousin Greg commented and then proceeded to exclaim what a B my cousin is, how his mom passed in a nursing home, etc. To say I was taken aback is an understatement. In a public forum no less. There are many more stories of this nature. Basically, we are all a very co-dependent hot mess when we are all together. It is the biggest reason why I moved to FL in my early 20s. I had to move away in order to become a whole person.

Here is mom. She was hot, hot, hot. I am the little dweeb sitting next to her in the white tights. The little one next to me is Greg and on the far left is my Aunt Pat (she is the one that recently died). The only way I find time to relax and settle my mind is if I make time for it. I find most times the things on the list can wait.

v2dgnhlqssl4.png

Debbie – I know sometimes it is me because I get so frustrated people do not reach out after I reach out to them I just stop. Then I think I am the one isolating myself. My money situation, which has gotten better, does not help because everyone wants to meet somewhere. It is very difficult to get someone just to meet at the beach and take a walk or something a little more frugal, like a cup of coffee. Yesterday I had a very nice conversation with one of our reps. He and his wife moved to Park City 7 years ago and they did not know a single person. They got involved with a few community things (difficult right now – will not be in the future) and built up a great circle. It gives me some hope. Gleaning season starts up in mid-January and I will be volunteering again. I am sure the sunshine and being outside helping others will lift me up. I just need to get through the next few weeks.
    Lanette – I remember the article/dissertation you posted regarding fat-mouse cells. It makes perfect sense and shows we cannot run away from our genetics. I do want to get genetic testing done, but am leery of my genetic makeup being out in the world.

Bananas – I wish I could say it was due to online socialization and our current state of affairs. My situation has been going on well before covid. I hate when I feel dispirited. There are quite a few people who know my situation and will tell me of their holiday dinners, etc. Do I get an invite even when I say I have no plans? No. Then, those same people invite me to lunch, go out of their way for me, etc.. I need to get over myself and get back to the little projects I have going. So excited for you and the changes you are making to your living space. Hey, even if your bed is not put together maybe you can make it a team project during your visit. 😊

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

Suzi
    -à good tech person is like an angel!
    - I love sweets of many kinds, but I am not big at all on fudge!
    - wow for posting of facebook about that stuff. my family is not very simple either.
    - you are all very cute in the picture
    - not really joking, maybe you need friends of more modest means. I have very modest means, but so many people in France and the usa prefer to go for a walk, have a coffee, or a coffee at home, to be a bit frugal. when my sister came to visit, one day we wanted to eat before a show, and she had a budget of 4 euros! It worked. we each got a very cheap tea and split a copious cheap Indian rice and veggie dish. I don't keep up with people who need 30-45 euro meals for every meet up. If that is their only way to meet they are out of my range. I find even people who are financially at ease, like to walk and have a coffee or drink. personally I find that being single one needs to keep at it. people in families TEND to be a bit more settled in their units. I had a good bunch of single friends a few years back but some are in solid couples at present so way less interested in and available for meeting single friends. I very much enjoy having guy friends just as friends, but if they get into a couple, more often than not the significant other is not happy about him having a close friend-friend who's a woman. it's a bummer! but onward!
    - feeling dispirited is just a cycle. who only has ups? once when I was in a x class someone asked how I was and I said, "ups and downs". another person listening, jokingly said "I only have ups!" that made me laugh.

sometimes I feel really glum about holiday alone if that is the case, but, maybe because of the very freshened up furnishings, not so much, or at all this year. I mean during major lockdown in march-may in france (many police checking to see if you were out more than an hour and farther than 1 km) for 2 months, spending one holiday day alone does not seem like a big deal to me. I am not religious in regards to xmas. truly I feel slightly more link with solstice as the days get longer.

xxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Katla - I feel bad about it, but I buy masses of stuff from Amazon, mostly in bulk. Teabags, coffee, condiments, spices, AF wine, Pernod, and I buy most of my pharmacy and personal cleaning products from them. Toothbrushes, floss, shampoo, conditioner etc etc. etc. Amost everything. I must be their best customer. :* I only go out as far as I can walk and I haven't been to a big supermarket since March. Plus I read their magazines on Prime and watch the occasional foreign film. Not to mention Kindle. My whole life is in their algorithms. :sad: We have at least one delivery a day.
    I don't think this is a good thing, but hugely convenient for us as we limit our going out to shops. :#

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather Amazon is quite unpopular in many circles I'm in: fattening up Bezos as brick and mortar local shops close: a real concern.

I tend to avoid amazon, but sometimes cave and buy, but not always.
    one can look up on amazon and purchase elsewhere.
    not sure if the elsewhere is incredibly better, but maybe distributes the wealth a bit more.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather Amazon is quite unpopular in many circles I'm in: fattening up Bezos as brick and mortar local shops close: a real concern.

I tend to avoid amazon, but sometimes cave and buy, but not always.
    one can look up on amazon and purchase elsewhere.
    not sure if the elsewhere is incredibly better, but maybe distributes the wealth a bit more.

A major selling point for Amazon is Prime, quick and free delivery. People are impatient. They want their stuff now.

That said, I support small restaurants (generally avoid chains) and retailers when they have what I want for a reasonable price. For example, I buy my running shoes from a small local shop, when I could save $20 getting them off Amazon. But it doesn't make sense for me to buy laundry detergent from a small market on a regular basis. It's just too pricey and household goods is what I buy most often.

Tina
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,218 Member
    Options
    Bananas - I agree with you, but I am hooked. :sad: Coffee, for example is two thirds of the price. Saves pounds. Plus we don't use the car for shopping. Lots of things are unobtainable locally from small shops.
    Not good, but ..... ;):|

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I don’t think buying through Amazon is a bad thing, especially during the CoVid mess. It is a great way to get what you need without exposing yourself and your family to the virus. :star:

We still shop at local grocery stores in person even though they offer car-side delivery. Everyone wears a mask, and people are being good about keeping 5 feet away for safer social distancing. Local restaurants are offering take-out with curb side delivery. We have had two very scrumptious dinners from a nearby Thai place. We called ahead and paid via credit card when we arrived. They brought the food to the car. I took the food home and we enjoyed dinner for two.

I have not been to the stable in a long time and would love to go. I'm looking forward to seeing friends there. I’m hoping January & vaccinations will help make that more agreeable for DH. He is sometimes worried by my being gone for two or three hours.

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Heavy, wet snow here. Made taking care of animals an adventure this evening. Goat shed was flooded from the rain this afternoon. Rebecca, I heard Whidbey has had more than 2" of snow already. Supposed to warm up overnight but DD has texted her supervisor at work to let him know she may have trouble getting there tomorrow.

Sharon and Lanette - Do you have snow?

Flea - thanks for your comments on the service. It is fun and our church hires someone who edits and puts everything together after it has been recorded separately.

Barbara - Glad you enjoyed the music.

Everyone take care Sue in WA

Well Sue, we did have snow mixed with rain yesterday, but it was 37 outside, so nothing stuck. I would imagine there would've been some icy roads around though. Today its sunny, in Oak Harbor. As I walked to my mailbox down the street, (Mailing Lisa's letter), I stood facing the sun. It was nice but no heat!
    Rebecca
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,555 Member
    Options
    B