WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) We just returned from curbside pickup at Walgreens and it was easy and fast We got things that we couldn't get at QFC. :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    Oo
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Allie))): It is so good to see you post and it appears you’re doing better and better. Good news!!! :star:

Heather: I love the pajama show. Your grandchildren are a handsome & happy group. :flowerforyou:

Ginnytez: Thanks for the information about Tracey. I’m not surprised that she is working a lot, and I’m very happy she is okay. :smiley:

Michele: Horse time is relaxing for me, too, but I haven’t had the chance to go to the stable in too long. I hope the new year will bring all kinds of good things for us all, from vaccines to social times and friends. I’m looking forward to seeing my friends at the stable, and hoping for yoga class to resume some time after vaccinations are available. :star:

We had a wonderful zoom call from our daughter this evening. We got to talk to her and all of our grandchildren. It was one of the best Christmas gifts, ever. :star:

Our Christmas tree is now in front of the living room window. We brought it in and decorated it today. It helps me feel cheerful. I have to admit that putting our Christmas decorations up in December is a lot more fun than putting them away in January. It is worth every minute.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Here is one of the trays plus extra treats that I delivered to my former brother in law and his wife.
    I hope to deliver the last ones tomorrow, including a big one to the dentist office when I go in for my appointment.
    so1uhta7cc59.png

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

WOW!
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,034 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Allie))): It is so good to see you post and it appears you’re doing better and better. Good news!!! :star:

Heather: I love the pajama show. Your grandchildren are a handsome & happy group. :flowerforyou:

Ginnytez: Thanks for the information about Tracey. I’m not surprised that she is working a lot, and I’m very happy she is okay. :smiley:

Michele: Horse time is relaxing for me, too, but I haven’t had the chance to go to the stable in too long. I hope the new year will bring all kinds of good things for us all, from vaccines to social times and friends. I’m looking forward to seeing my friends at the stable, and hoping for yoga class to resume some time after vaccinations are available. :star:

We had a wonderful zoom call from our daughter this evening. We got to talk to her and all of our grandchildren. It was one of the best Christmas gifts, ever. :star:

Our Christmas tree is now in front of the living room window. We brought it in and decorated it today. It helps me feel cheerful. I have to admit that putting our Christmas decorations up in December is a lot more fun than putting them away in January. It is worth every minute.

can you post a picture of your tree? I love the homes where the tree is in the front window. Our front window is in the kitchen. No tree in there.
  • Katla49
    Options
    Debbie: Your treat tray looks wonderful. I’ll bet your former brother-in-law and his wife are pleased with your thoughtful treat. The dentist’s office, too. :star:

I’ve had a good day today and enjoyed decorating for Christmas. Our tree is 4.5 feet tall, counting the pot it is planted in. The ornaments were collected over the years and we’re always pleased to see them. This is a living tree that came into the house last year for the first time. It did okay. I hope it will do well again this year. I will be sure to keep it watered.

• dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Woke up early this morning and took the yogurt out of the IP to drain. Then cut up the fudge I made last night. I might make another batch today. Colby eats a lot, which really isn’t a problem, I just need to be sure to cook extra. I always had trouble making fudge, I couldn’t seem to get the same consistency as you can get when you go to a food store. Well, this recipe is the closest. I’ve tried the sweetened condensed milk variety, the evaporated milk, the cooking it to a certain temp, everything. But this recipe seems to come the closest (and it’s pretty easy which is a win in my book)

Terri – I did what you suggested. To be honest, there are posts that for the life of me I can’t figure out what someone was disagreeing with. It probably was a mistake.

Lanette – Vince always complains that apps are not user tested so you get all those updates.

There was someone on here who was really into beekeeping. Was her name Wendy? She hasn’t been here in a while. I wonder how she’s doing? Good luck to you, M. Let us know how it’s working out

Debbie VA – (((HUG)))

Started reviving my sourdough starter. Amanda, Andy and Aiden are coming here Christmas Eve. Amanda said she liked sourdough so I will probably make her a loaf and a loaf for Colby to take back to Iowa. Who knows? Maybe he’ll get Jess to have some. Then made another batch of fudge. Now eating my breakfast. I haven’t had poached eggs in a long time so I decided to make them. I love, love, love the poached egg cups. What a pain it was to swirl those eggs around in the water!

I’ll be leaving in a few to go to Aldi then this afternoon Colby and I (and maybe Jess) will go to WalMart since he wants hot sauce and I don’t know which type to get

Carol GA – (((HUG))) for your daughter. And my admiration

Yea for longer days!!!

Pip – (((HUG))) Dogs have an inner sense of knowing how we are feeling.

I’d rather give someone a (((HUG))) here than hit the “hug” button and possibly hit the disagree button

Katla – when I took horseback riding lessons, horse time was relaxing time for me.

Allie – glad you’re getting a lot of sitting time. Your body needs it.

Made fudge and have it in the refrigerator hardening. Went to Aldi then came home and made the lasagna for tonight so it’s now in the refrig with the flavors melding then put the yogurt I made into a container.

Went to WalMart. Colby paid for the order. He felt it was his way of contributing. I thought that was nice of him. It’s interesting, the things they bought. Glad he was paying! Jess wanted to buy lettuce. Organic! I needed chocolate syrup and she was going to buy this expensive one, I told her to get the Hershey’s. But Colby paid so that’s OK. He wanted pepper jack, has to get Sargento. I would have gotten the store brand. But that’s the difference between them and me.

Michele NC
    Who is off to watch the TSO livestream again

I use the simple recipe for my fudge- I guess it is ok, everyone seems to like it. It is just choc. chips, sweetened condensed milk, butter and then what ever I want to add to it. I do use white choc. chips for a few flavors of fudge( kiwi/strawberry, pina colada, and pistachio cranberry). I used peanut butter chips this time for the peanut butter fudge because I had a huge bag that needed to be used up . Also used them in the Muddie Buddies(peanut butter Chex cereal, PB chips and PB2 powder then covered in powdered sugar.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Suzie-I’m not a drinker but you are right-they really have that set up well (I was a bartender back in the day).

Debbie-sorry to hear of your daughters’ issues. They are always or babies no matter their age.

Heather-thanks for sharing the pj pics!

Julie-good progress on your stuff. I haven’t put together a trundle bed, but last year I put together the full size bed with drawers under it my kids got me for Christmas. It took most of the day.

Quiet day today. Got some papers sorted, wrapping paper etc., put away. Paid off my car. Think I will go pay house off tomorrow so I start 2021 with no debt! Talked to both sons so that was good.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

congratulations on paying the car and house off at the same time!! Great job. Nice to start a new year with no debt.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Heather - love the pj pics.

Pip - Sorry you are feeling down. I am sure Yogi helps a lot.

Barbara - I sing in my church choir. We are currently doing virtual choir for now. The church service is streamed on Utube. It is Snohomish UMC. The candle lighting this week was done by me and a friend. I am on your right if you watch it. Also sing later in the service.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Options
    Sue, I bet your choir is wonderful. ❤️
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well, Michelle (and others) inspired me to try to make fudge this evening. Total disaster. Perhaps my candy thermometer isn't working? (It's the first time I used it) I don't even know if I'll be able to get the stuff out of the pan!

But I am undaunted and will try again tomorrow.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »

Barbara - I sing in my church choir. We are currently doing virtual choir for now. The church service is streamed on Utube. It is Snohomish UMC. The candle lighting this week was done by me and a friend. I am on your right if you watch it. Also sing later in the service.

I watched it. The two of you are so cute! I enjoyed the choir, too. Was that done this morning or recorded at another time?

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »

LOVE Snohomish!! Hoping to be back up there again this coming summer. My aunt and cousins are in the Lake Stevens area so of course we have to go to Snohomish every time we are up there.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Well, Michelle (and others) inspired me to try to make fudge this evening. Total disaster. Perhaps my candy thermometer isn't working? (It's the first time I used it) I don't even know if I'll be able to get the stuff out of the pan!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

try my recipe- it is so simple just 1 pound of cho. chips, melt w/ 1T butter, mix in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk. Add in any ingredients you want.
    Here are some of mine from this year-
    Rocky Road
    Almond Joy
    Mocha Almond
    Blueberry Pecan
    Apple/Cranberry/Walnut
    Peanut Butter
    Pina Colada
    Kiwi Strawberry
    Pistachio/ Cranberry --- the last three are with white choc.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie: Your treat tray looks wonderful. I’ll bet your former brother-in-law and his wife are pleased with your thoughtful treat. The dentist’s office, too. :star:

I’ve had a good day today and enjoyed decorating for Christmas. Our tree is 4.5 feet tall, counting the pot it is planted in. The ornaments were collected over the years and we’re always pleased to see them. This is a living tree that came into the house last year for the first time. It did okay. I hope it will do well again this year. I will be sure to keep it watered.

Thank you.
    I know she was happy to get it- (he was getting ready for work so I didn't see him) but I did get a text from his dad who got his box delivered today, which was a day earlier than expected. He opened his and was very happy. Former hubby got his boxes(yep, sent two) but he is waiting until Christmas day to open his. Don't know if he will really wait that long- he knows there is chocolate in there and he is such a chocoholic!. I love making stuff for people who appreciated it.
    I was shocked how excited the people at the dentist office were when I told them I would bring some in.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

I've always used the "soft ball" method ... dripping a bit into a glass of cold water.

I also make my fudge from scratch ... good quality cocoa etc.

But I haven't made fudge in about 5 years. Maybe I should try. And I do have a candy thermometer now.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I like the kind of very basic fudge the Scottish call "Tablet". It's the slightly crispy, crumbly sort. Michele wouldn't like it. :D Haven't made it in years, but it's the only fudge I actually like. Don't go in for flavours etc . I have made it in the past for guests.
    At the moment I'm being pretty good at just having one piece of "Cadbury’s Chocolate Eclairs" a night after dinner. o:) 33 calories each.
    For Christmas I have bought for DH's stocking a box of posh liqueur cherries (with stone and stalk!!) so I hope he will share those with me. :D>:)
    One year I made biscotti for my DSIL . It was very much appreciated. You have them with 'vin santo' to dip. I included a bottle. The biscotti are a bit of a pain to make. Haven't made them since.

Today I'm going to complete the mincepies. The pastry is made and sitting in the fridge. They will go in the freezer ( after one for DH) because I don't know if we will get our garden get together to open presents with the kids before Christmas. No one is allowed in the house. I think the weather is going to be sunny over Christmas, so the beach meet up on Christmas morning looks good. If the garden goes ahead on Thursday I will heat up the mincepies and cook pigs in blankets for the kids. Non alcoholic mulled wine. I don't like mincepies much so won't be tempted. :laugh: I do like pigs in blankets!

DH will be rolling out the marzipan he made and putting it on the cake. Then you have to let it dry for a day or so before putting on the Royal Icing. He's doing the whole thing himself with verbal help from me if needed. I don't eat Christmas cake. He adores it! So I thought I'd let him make it. I think he's quite proud of himself. <3 He is so skinny that he needs all the calories he can get!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Debbie: I will try to post a photo of our tree. We just finished putting the lights and ornaments on it a few hours ago. I will try to take a photo of it tomorrow. When I looked at it with my phone/camera just a moment ago, I couldn’t get a reasonable photo. I’ll try tomorrow in the daylight. :heart:

I can’t remember the last time I made fudge. DH can’t have it because he is on a gluten free diet. I don’t want to eat it in front of him. I have a recipe for chocolate cake that is gluten free, so I may make some of that. We can both enjoy it and it would be a rare treat.

Katla—awake in the middle of the night.