WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Happy to see so many of you are finding a way through these difficult times. Hard sometimes. <3

Pip - I understand. My DH always has a hard time in November when his previous partner died of breast cancer. I have to remember. One year I even put it in my diary. Losing a loved one is a trauma that never goes away. People don't really understand that I still mourn my ex-husband. Yes, it was a mutual and friendly split, but it was the hardest thing I've ever done, harder than losing my baby. But I can’t really share that with DH. Love never goes away.

All good. Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I think I have read or heard said that mourning is never completely over.
    That seems to be true at least in some cases.

@Pip Thanks for reminding me of your experience. I remembrer you writing about losing your husband and the pain about that, and understood that it was about experiences where you are now, not missing the previous place, but didn't know or remember the overall story in relation to the place you are at now, and the link between the two. Thanks for clarifying that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,993 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I can’t remember the last time I made fudge. DH can’t have it because he is on a gluten free diet. I don’t want to eat it in front of him. I have a recipe for chocolate cake that is gluten free, so I may make some of that. We can both enjoy it and it would be a rare treat.

Katla—awake in the middle of the night.

What in fudge has gluten?

The recipes I use include:

sugar
    cocoa
    milk
    butter
    vanilla extract

M in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, called my Part D for missing first invoice, won’t be sent ‘til the 15th, livestream church, McKay’s, Bi-Mart, Freddie’s.
    Bonus: made, foil wrapped, salted caramel adult fudge, packed C & B’s goodie packages and printed USPS labels,
    Get to do: take BP, goodies to firehall, Post Office, recycling, car to shop, dogs to powerline, call R, thank you note to T, corrected roster to Cal-Or, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Monday: recycling.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    21: Appreciate kindness and thank people who do things for you: thank you email to D, note to CH.

Rib roasts were sold out in Gold Beach, all except one huge, dry aged, $15.99/lb=over $200 one. Not that crazy. Found a nice one at Freddie’s for $25.

Lanette “…Christmas goose to deposit some jingle bells…” made me laugh out loud!
    Debby in VA ((hugs)) and prayers for your daughters and you.
    Carol were those in-person classes your DnL had to watch? If remote, couldn’t the teachers in isolating watch their own classes from home? Seems an unfair burden on your DnL.
    Pip, great guy, glad he gives you the well-deserved princess treatment. ((hugs)) thankful for Yogi and now he’s official. ((hugs)). :cry:
    SuziQ can’t wait to hear how the remote cocktail-making event turns out. Sound advice to Annie. Gorgeous orchids!
    Katla are the needles on your Alberta Spruce very sharp, and if so, how do you decorate it? I’m thinking of lopping one of our invading Sitka Spruces for a table top Christmas tree but the things are so danged pokey…
    Allie your routine may not be exciting but it sounds good for you. Does Buddy have “Westie-tude”?
    Julie your furniture assembling=well done!
    Heather Edie, Max, Bea, heck I’m missing them and I’ve never seen them IRL. What great senses of humor! I’ve had tablet and enjoyed it but it sure ain’t fudge to me :laugh:
    Ginny in OH, con VERY gratulations for starting 2020 with no debt. Wow and well done!
    Michele I’ve been trying to make fudge since I was a child. Last year was my first success, thanks to KJ’s adult fudge recipe. Absolutely the creamiest texture and sooo easy. Yes it was WildhorseWendy, believe she and her husband live in New Zealand near Manuka/tea trees so their hives make premium Manuka honey.
    Debbie your treat trays are impressive, but had to laugh at the idea of bringing all those sweets to the DDS office… :laugh: I’m shocked, too, at their reaction. ;)
    Sue in NW WA :love: your smile at the end of the candle lighting and really enjoyed the music, especially Angels We Have Heard on High.
    Flea my first batch of KJ’s adult fudge this year failed as well, wasn’t patient enough with melting the caramel chips. Second try succeeded, whew! And alas, because it tastes so good it's hard for me to leave it alone.

Time to snooze a little before getting up to drop car off at body shop. Tried to get my errands done yesterday but have 3 to finish up this morning.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 17, weigh: 20, steps>5505=5711 vits=20 log=20 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble & Shadow 5=15 mfp=20 outside=11 up hill=11
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=3.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0 bonus: AF=12 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,993 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    I am trying to keep myself in a positive frame of mind as the year draws to an end. It is getting more difficult as lockdown continues. The lack of physical socialization is the number one culprit. I have spent more than one holiday alone which has never been an issue in the past. This year I find myself drifting to past memories of both Charlie, Greg and loved ones who have passed. Note here – yes, I have been reaching out to friends, most of which are far away. It really suc-s when I call, we catch up, there may be one or two exchanges, and then there is no follow up unless I reach out. I know people have lives, families, etc., but darn it. My friends know I am alone in the world. I go back and forth with my feelings. I am tiring of being the “understanding” one.

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have family somewhere? Or are they all preoccupied too?

SuziQ113 wrote: »
    I am starting to think about 2021 goals. I did not meet half of my 2020 goals so some will roll over. My number one goal is to be more active with the gleaning season which starts mid-January. It will be good for me to be outside and soaking up the good feelings that come from helping others. It will also be a reminder of just how fortunate I am.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

I've been starting to think about 2021 goals too.

I accomplished my main 2020 goal. I don't remember what my other goals were. In fact, I'll have to look and see ... ah, here we are ...

Machka9 wrote: »
    And now, I'm thinking about goals for 2020.

It is difficult to make goals because I'm not sure what's going to happen one day to the next. I plan, God laughs ... or something like that. The last couple years have been a lesson in patience and flexibility and giving up a lot of what I would like to do in the interests of what needs to be done.

However, I do have some goals I'd like to accomplish, if possible ...

How to Set SMART Goals for 2020
    SMART is an acronym that stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely.
    https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/smart-goal-setting

Interestingly, he talks about 7 significant areas ...

Financial Goals: Start saving for retirement, get out of debt, or use a monthly zero-based budget.
    Spiritual Goals: Pick up a new devotional, start a daily journal, or plug in to a group at your church.
    Fitness Goals: Hit the gym more often, take the stairs, and remember to eat your veggies.
    Educational Goals: Go back to finish your degree, get your MBA, or read a good book every month.
    Family Goals: Plan one-on-one dates with your kids, have a standing date night with your spouse, or make it a point to call your mom and dad on Sunday nights.
    Career Goals: Work toward a promotion or raise, learn something new about your line of work, or polish up and send out resumés if you’re looking for a new career path.
    Social Goals: Say yes when someone invites you out to lunch or a social gathering—or, for some of us, say no more often.

I've modified this slightly ...

Organisation/Financial Goals -- Getting our taxes done and other paperwork in order.

Spiritual Goals -- I'd like to start attending church a bit more regularly. I'll also include relaxation and recreation in here. Down time. I get very little of that at the moment and need more. For me that might be sleep and photography. :)

Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month.

Educational Goals -- Uni! I would like to finish my Master's degree in 2020.

Family/Medical Goals -- Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations. And me! A goal is to get me into healthy shape again!

Career Goals -- One of the main things my area is planning to work on is streamlining the processes a bit. Meanwhile I need to learn a lot more SQL and as much about what 2 different people I work/worked with did. I'm also on the board of two organisations now. Both interest me a lot, but I'm also hoping that taking on leadership roles might help advance my career a little.

Social Goals -- Cycling Club. I've made a detailed list of what I need to do, which helps.
    -- My Personal Website -- I have started working on this. I'd post it here, but not sure if I can: machka . net This has a social aspect in that we go to Wordpress meetings now and then.

Machka in Oz

Some/most of these will carry over into 2021 ... and I've got a few other ideas as well. :) I need to organise my thoughts and be realistic about things ... make a realistic doable plan.

Since I handed in my last assignment on October 9, I've discovered something ... I've been just as busy as I was when I was in uni. It's been a mad dash through my list of things to do trying to take care of the most important things and every time I look again, there's more!

Organisation/Financial Goals -- Getting our taxes done and other paperwork in order.
    I have done a little bit of this but lots to go.

Spiritual Goals -- I'd like to start attending church a bit more regularly. I'll also include relaxation and recreation in here. Down time. I get very little of that at the moment and need more. For me that might be sleep and photography. :)

Fitness Goals -- Exercise, Eating, Sleeping -- Working up to running 5 km at least a couple times a month. Working up to cycling 50 km at least once a month.
    In February and March, I took on a stair climbing challenge. I did get up to running 5 km for a while last winter but that dropped right off when I had my nose surgery. I have also cycled 50 km once in October. However I have not been consistent.

Family/Medical Goals -- Husband -- Never-ending stream of medical appointments + projects with 2 or 3 different organisations. And me! A goal is to get me into healthy shape again!

Career Goals -- One of the main things my area is planning to work on is streamlining the processes a bit. Meanwhile I need to learn a lot more SQL and as much about what 2 different people I work/worked with did. I'm also on the board of two organisations now. Both interest me a lot, but I'm also hoping that taking on leadership roles might help advance my career a little.
    I resigned from the board of one organisation. I need my personal time.

Social Goals -- Cycling Club. I've made a detailed list of what I need to do, which helps.
    -- My Personal Website -- I have started working on this. I'd post it here, but not sure if I can: machka . net This has a social aspect in that we go to Wordpress meetings now and then.
    The Cycling Club continues but we haven't been going to Wordpress meetings in a long time ... I think they're virtual now!

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,375 Member
    Options
    It's Monday, peeps!

Carol - sorry to hear about your DIL's predicament. My niece in Indiana teaches 1st grade, caught the C-19 from a family who she thinks had it and sent their A-symptomatic kids to school, so 5 teachers out. She's on the mend but low energy and coughing.

Yesterday I did some speed-reading. The Cancer Code by Dr. Jason Fung. He's also written The Obesity Code and several other books, he's kind of the father of Intermittent Fasting.

Anyhow, a lot of The Cancer Code is very scientific (hence my speed reading/skimming) but it was fascinating, to me, how cancer cells develop and grow, especially in response to insulin and the growth factor insulin influences. And how the factors that make a person obese also stimulate cancer. Strengthening our immune systems is also a key. 1/4 of the book is a bibliography, by the way so he's done his homework.

I found a YouTube presentation that cuts to the chase:
    Stay healthy, ladies!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,276 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    SuziQ - You are the bigger person. <3 My mother always used to say it was her who always had to reach out, but I think most people just don't spend much time thinking about others. With me it's around 50/50. With some people it's me always doing the reaching and with others it's them. It's basically just a habit people get into.
    I think you are a hero in your life. Of course you get down sometimes, but, in my opinion, you are a fantastic human being. <3

DH managed to contact his elder daughter in France this morning on Skype. He found her because her photo was her dog! :p
    They had a great chat and it was great to see her and get a mini tour of her house. It honestly was almost as good as seeing her. He is very happy.

In my memoir I have now finished writing up the two diaries I kept in 1964 and 65. The red and the white. :o
    I now have to rely on my unreliable memory! I am getting nearer to the end of this volume, which will end on the day I go to university. In that sense I have had a VERY GOOD YEAR. :D The lockdown has helped me focus on the important stuff. My word for 2020 was UNLEASH. ;)

The hairdresser sent me an online covid form to fill in. Very long and complicated. I'm going tomorrow for a quick trim if our tier doesn't change overnight. I might wear a double mask. They are masked and visored. Temperature check and hand washing.

Our numbers locally are going up, though still lower than elsewhere. Oh well.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,069 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Lanette lately I have been reading books about the effect your microbes have on your immune system. This is partly why I have upped my fruits and veggies and try to eat a variety of them. They found when they transplanted microbes from obese mice into thin mice. The thin mice became obese too. There is still so much they do not know. The urge is to rush in and obliterate what we perceive are the bad guys of microbes. Unfortunately there are microbes that help us and they can get destroyed in the process. The trick is finding ways to get the good guys working for us. Is there a new catch phrase brewing ...Change your microbes change your life.

This is one area (microbes) I would like to see pursed in this gaining control over COVID. We are in a reactive phase against this virus. I would like to see our scientist work on becoming proactive because there will be future viruses that cause problems for human kind and the draconian measures we had to use against this one has created another whole hosts of problems.

Because everybody's system is unique onto them what may work for one person in terms of diet and exercise may not be as effective for the next person. A large part of gaining the most healthy you is finding what really works for you and that you can sustain over the long haul.

In the past I was one that jumped in with both feet and asked questions later. I now try to take changes slower. I change something and then see how that effects me. If I see positive results then I know it is safe to continue if not I do not continue the change. I do not always succeed. I do find I like being proactive rather than reactive.

I too have read that high insulin levels in the body can promote cancer.

I sometimes wonder what my mom would have made of all this about COVID. She was born in India during the 1918 pandemic. She traveled the world. She was not overly concerned about dust never took her shoes off coming into her home. She ate ice cream almost everyday. She lived with a raccoon in her attic for many years. She was on the heavy side most of her adult life but not obese. She lived to 98. I think the keys to her long life is she had an active social life, active reader, and a great sense of humor.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤍🤎🧡💙🖤❤️💜💚
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    .I’ve had the disagree button hit on my posts about life situations and been completely ignored on others.
    Debby in Va

Debby, I honestly think some people misunderstand disagree just like woo was misunderstood. When people disagree on your life situations, I think what they're really doing is saying they dislike the situation for you. Maybe they're just not "huggers." Who knows for sure?

I've had people ignore posts at times, too, but be incredibly supportive at other times. It's kind of funny really, what subjects resonate with people and cause lots of responses. I try not to take it personally, because I know there have been times when I've been too busy to respond to something that really needed responding to.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,276 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Yes, Karen, they are going to start this in schools next term, but the teachers are saying it's too much work on top of everything else. They have had a hard year.
    They did try it out in Liverpool and credit it with lowering the incidence there. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,601 Member
    Options
    U r right, Kirby is a doll.

We may b moving down the street. Now that we live here we have more time to look at different options. The problem that we found here is the kitchen is a bit too small. I think Kirby measured 44”. From counter to counter. We can’t b there all at the same time, then yogi has to b in there and that doesn’t help. Can’t open the fridg and dishwasher at the same time. We eat differently most of the time so he has to wait til I’m done and out b4 he can get in. Love the location tho. This new apt is right down the street so still in the neighborhood and walking distance to everything and the par. We put ourselves on a waiting list for when it is available with the floor plan we want. We know we will have to pay extra to get out of our lease here when the time times.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Heather An honor system with parents or guardians doing it at home before the child leaves for school would be much better, I think. Trust people to do the right thing. Most of them will.

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Heather,
    Thank you. Just what I needed today. You brought a tear to my eye.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I can't figure out how to post a photo of the Christmas tree that is currently in my house. Help!

As to fudge and gluten—I hoped to make brownies rather than fudge. Candy is generally off of our list for health reasons. DH has multiple heath issues.

Katla—feeling pretty frustrated due to lack of skill.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Well, Michelle (and others) inspired me to try to make fudge this evening. Total disaster. Perhaps my candy thermometer isn't working? (It's the first time I used it) I don't even know if I'll be able to get the stuff out of the pan!

But I am undaunted and will try again tomorrow.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Success!! I made a batch before work this morning. And it worked! At least I could get it out of the pan and eat it! Lol

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Debbie: I will try to post a photo of our tree. We just finished putting the lights and ornaments on it a few hours ago. I will try to take a photo of it tomorrow. When I looked at it with my phone/camera just a moment ago, I couldn’t get a reasonable photo. I’ll try tomorrow in the daylight. :heart:

I can’t remember the last time I made fudge. DH can’t have it because he is on a gluten free diet. I don’t want to eat it in front of him. I have a recipe for chocolate cake that is gluten free, so I may make some of that. We can both enjoy it and it would be a rare treat.

Katla—awake in the middle of the night.

My recipe was gluten free -- not trying to tempt you -- evaporated milk, sugar, water -- to soft ball, like Machka said, then after that mixture cools, peanut butter, vanilla, and butter. Yummy! I am going to try another batch tonight and instead of peanut butter, stir in some cocoa or chocolate squares. I am trying to use what I already have in my pantry, so no chocolate chips, just powder and squares.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR