WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Afternoon Ladies
    I did my PT and had an ensure,Jean taking a nap and Faith be boppin around. Everyone is here,my son wont make an appearance as he works at a local grocery store and thats his excuse for not coming anywhere near. Hasnt called either..
    My daughter will stop either today or tomorrow, tonight and tomorrow's weather high winds and rain.. so not the best.. here is hoping we dont lose power..
    Im just sort of sitting in the living room and napping on and off..
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    O, holy night. The stars are brightly shining. ….

Christmas Eve – It’s hard to believe the year is drawing to an end. And, what a strange and winding road we have been on. I am thankful we have stayed in touch and have supported each other throughout this year.

The virtual cocktail class was a blast. It started with an introduction from the partner hosting the event and we moved in to mixing our first drink which was a twist on a traditional daiquiri. The mixologist not only showed us how to mix the drink, he also shared lot of facts about ratios, balancing flavors, the true way to smell aromas and why, why certain drinks should be shaken and not stirred, etc. I wish I had time to take notes or thought to record the session. The tea bags were steeped with the alcohol to imbibe the flavor into the drink. When we finished mixing our drink he left so we could socialize and mingle. We then moved on a twist on a highball, more socialization, and the final drink was a twist on an old fashioned. All were holiday flavored. A good time was had by all and it did push away some of the loneliness I have been feeling. Interested…..
    liquorlab.com

Debbie – Very thoughtful gifts to your friends. Isn’t it funny how we end up being better friends with some of our exes? I have been reaching out. I have not tracked down many people from my high school years. I was moved around a lot on the cusp of my teens. When we finally settled I was in the 9th grade. I was much more mature than my peers due to my home life. If I met you outside of school….I may have become friends with you. I wasn’t into all of those clicks and saw them as limiting. I “may” track down our reunion team, 2022 will be 30 years and it would be interesting to see where and how people have fared.

Katla – Thank you. I am certainly looking forward to the gleaning season and researching how I can become more involved versus just picking vegetables. Work is finally giving us a volunteer day so I will also look in to scheduling a day building for Habitat of Humanity.

Best to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

Suzi- I love that at the reunions, those little cliques are pretty much gone- we had a smaller class- I think it was just over 100. Small town so went to the school with the same kids from kindergarten on up(born and raised in that town, as was mom, and grandpa-nieces and nephews make 4 generations born there). Everyone is just happy to see everyone. Being in charge of the reunion, it has made me push myself, and talk to others that I was not comfortable doing before. 10-10-20 was supposed to be our 40th reunion. Now the plan is to do a two class reunion with the class of '80 and '81. The date won't be as perfect as the one I had picked but it will be fun to get together(plus, my favorite cousin is in the other class). One thing we notices is the guys who had the best hair in high school are the ones with little or no hair now. Finding them on FB before hand really helps- that way you know what they look like now instead of trying to guess who they are/looking at their name tags and being surprised. Plus you can get to know them a little before so have something else to talk about.

I don't know if your area does the food program/food bank- food distribution, but my old church does it every Saturday morning. I love helping when I am at my parents house. We put together boxes of food for those that need it- our little church gives out about 150-175 boxes each Saturday. I HATE getting up early but love helping.
    When I am up there more, I will do it more often and then the 5:15 alarm won't be so bad.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Debbie
    Napa ValleyCA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Happy Christmas for those on the other side of the international date line and are already celebrating Christmas. Happy Christmas Eve Morning for those in the US and Canada! My coffee is just about done brewing.

I am planning to buy myself a new facemask for Christmas. The elastic that goes around my ears on the one I have been using and enjoying for many months is all stretched out & now useless. There is a shop in town where I can buy a replacement. I do not plan to ask my friend who generously made masks for my famiiy to do just one more on Christmas Eve Day.

Katla –early on Christmas Eve Morning in Beautiful NW Oregon.

wish you were closer, I have a bag full of masks that no one wanted(or could make a new one if you wanted different fabric), hey, after over 200, what is a few more. I just made and sent two Christmas ones to former hubby and his wife in their boxes- they will see them tomorrow.
    Debbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Flea: Your grandmother has left a wonderful legacy for you. Thank you for sharing a treasured family recipe. :star:

Barbara: Happy for you that Joe joined you to take the dogs down the driveway. :star: I always feel better about things when DH joins me in walking our dog in the neighborhood. It has been a while since he felt like going along. :ohwell:

Allie: I am amazed to hear that Faith was be-boppin’ around while Jean slept. I’m glad that you are able to get a little nap time off and on, too. :flowerforyou:

Debbie: Thank you very much for the good thoughts about facemasks. If this pandemic keeps on, we may all need large collections of masks. If you want to make masks as a business, ebay could be an outlet for your masks. This morning I visited the local shop that sells ice-cream by the scoop, humorous cards, and other fun items. The woman who is a partner there has been making Covid 19 facemasks for sale. I bought two of her masks this morning because I wore out the elastic on one of mine. I bought one for me and the other for DH. I also keep a mask for myself in each of our cars in addition to the ones I bought today.

I’ve heard from both of my adult children in the last two days and they are doing well. That makes me happy. :heart:

Katla in sunny NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Flea: Your grandmother has left a wonderful legacy for you. Thank you for sharing a treasured family recipe. :star:

Barbara: Happy for you that Joe joined you to take the dogs down the driveway. :star: I always feel better about things when DH joins me in walking our dog in the neighborhood. It has been a while since he felt like going along. :ohwell:

Allie: I am amazed to hear that Faith was be-boppin’ around while Jean slept. I’m glad that you are able to get a little nap time off and on, too. :flowerforyou:

Debbie: Thank you very much for the good thoughts about facemasks. If this pandemic keeps on, we may all need large collections of masks. If you want to make masks as a business, ebay could be an outlet for your masks. This morning I visited the local shop that sells ice-cream by the scoop, humorous cards, and other fun items. The woman who is a partner there has been making Covid 19 facemasks for sale. I bought two of her masks this morning because I wore out the elastic on one of mine. I bought one for me and the other for DH. I also keep a mask for myself in each of our cars in addition to the ones I bought today.

I’ve heard from both of my adult children in the last two days and they are doing well. That makes me happy. :heart:

Katla in sunny NW Oregon

I have sold a lot($5 each) and given away a lot. There are many others making them. I don't want to raise my prices in order to make anything if I do ebay. I bought a lot of Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas fabric and only sold I think 6 total of them. I even offered the ones I already had made for just $3 but no one wanted them. I only have one person that takes them and shows them at her work. My husband did take them and showed them to one of his co workers but she doesn't need any more. Hopefully we won't need them next holiday season, now to figure out what to do with the fabric I have on hand.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, dogs to powerline, 11 mins Leslie Sansome
    Bonus: pickup car, Farmers’ Market, Post Office, lights and half ornaments onto tiny tree.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, corrected roster to Cal-Or, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???,
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    24: Bring joy to others, share something that made you laugh: find something for T and R.
    Julie “ . . .physical activity yesterday tired me and also made me sleep rather well. I generally feel more up beat after going for even a tiny walk.” True for me too.
    Kate, Heather, Terri all in the UK :cry: Please consider adding gargling with Listerine Cool Mint (or probably anything including hot salt water and lemon juice) to taking extra Vitamin D and Zinc to minimize viral load. Good riddance to 2020.
    Debby in VA glad to hear you and your neighbors have veggies and meat to sell. Gorgeous tree.
    Karen in VA stunning pics gave me a pang of homesickness for the Bay Area of 40 years ago… :love: the sunlit quail.
    Machka like your stars!
    Sharon hoping your date lifts your spirits.
    Tina fingers X’d for a favorable EKG. Do you have to have one before the procedure?
    Rita ((hugs))
    Flea those displays are like what our Nature’s Coastal Holiday were at Azalea Park, pre-plague. Now many of the displays have been set up along highway 101, and are uplifting to drive by, but I miss strolling through the park. Also miss rounding out the night with an adult hot cocoa at O’Hollerans, a local restaurant and lounge, always decorated to the max, but now plague closed. Love your decorations but not so sure about the ornament… :laugh:
    Debbie thanks so much for the sneak-a-little-brown rice-or-cauliflower into Joe’s white rice hint. That I can do!
    Allie brava for keeping up with the PT and hooray for the shower!
    Michele the ornament debacle was an incident from my childhood that grieved me to this day. Prying my mental fingers off of it, trying to breathe and let it go… Thanks for the tips about the chocolate zucchini bread. Dug out your chocolate bran muffin recipe, will make it for him tomorrow.
    Rebecca does your Chief always make up the menu plan? Wow!
    Katla this afternoon both Joe and I started to take the dogs down the drive at the same time. When he saw me, he tried to bow out, but I gently suggested we walk together. He was reluctant, it was cold, he didn’t want to… but he did! We didn’t stay long, I didn’t want to push my luck, but I was so proud of him!
    Kay can you tip your recliner over to look under it on the floor for your splint? Of course you’ve already looked in the washing machine, dryer, hamper, bathroom wastebasket, behind the toilet… could it have caught on a towel after you washed your hands?
    Ginny you encourage me to get the Shingles shot. Would you let me know how long the muscle soreness and other side effects last?

At 07:00 am plan to listen to the King’s College service, thanks Heather. Then finish the tree, wrap Joe’s and the dogs' gifts and put under.

Ah, Joe’s gifts. Won’t be giving him the peanut brittle I get him every year, nor the favorite brandy I found at the liquor store last week. Those are going into hiding until his fasting glucose is below 100. A can of mixed nuts, a bag of pine nuts, and a David Bowie tribute magazine is it. Otherwise, we’re swapping expense of his freezer for my new kitchen faucet, a wash. Then I’ll try making some of Debbie in Napa’s sneaky fried rice to go with some stir fried pork and kung pao cauliflower.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh: 23, steps>5505=6394 vits=23 log=23 CI<CO=22 CI<250<CO=16 Tumble & Shadow 5=19 mfp=23 outside=13 up hill=13
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=4.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0 bonus: AF=15 play=0 sew=0

Oh no, only when I can't think of some meals. Since eldest son isn't home, our meals are simpler, and so when its time to shop, I don't have a lot in the pantry and freezer to work with. So this week I just asked him to think of things he hasn't had for awhile. I filled in some days, with things we had already. All in all, its a joint effort.
    Rebecca
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Got out a couple of times to walk the driveway.fresh air before the wind and the deluge...not eating alot but make sure to get some type like ensure in me,and usually eat dinner..
    Tomorrow they are doing prime rib and all sorts of stuff..I will pick... but make sure there is protein.
    Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. And hoping somehow you can be with some family...
    Usually I am at my daughter's house on Christmas eve,but not up for that ,my ex will be staying overnight so there will be at least one grandparent there..
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Options
    Merry Christmas, Rori! (((❤️)))
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Still no splint. The only things I did between knowing I had it and missing it were stripping and remaking the beds, sitting in my recliner scrolling my iPad, and using the bathroom. I re-stripped one bed today and I’ve dug in my recliner as far as I could reach. I wish I knew how to take it apart. I bought a cheap generic one at CVS today. It will protect my finger somewhat, but it is not as comfortable as my custom made one. I will have my surgery to remove my pin on Tuesday. If the doctor thinks I need another one and I haven’t found it by then, I’ll just pay out of pocket for a new one. Dave has been looking, too. He thinks I flushed it down the toilet. I don’t think it would flush. We won’t get into the specifics of that discussion. Lol.

My husband had a custom made splint for his finger and lost it. We just called where he went to have it made and they replaced it for free. You might want to talk to them. We found his months later behind the headboard.

Maybe they will replace mine, too. I will find out on Tuesday. Meanwhile, my cheap CVS is working just fine. If it wasn’t Christmas......
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,105 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to wish all a safe and Blessed Christmas.

g0wzbvznaasc.jpg

Allie: It's what has to be done. It will get better. (((Hugs)))
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,105 Member
    Options
    I'm so far behind 😂
  • Katla49
    Options
    Barbara: I am pleased for you and Joe. Walking together is a good thing, healthy and companionable. In fair weather DH rides his mobility scooter and I walk beside him, but it has been a bit too cold for DH and I’ve been walking with the dog. :flowerforyou:

This is Christmas Eve day, headed into evening, and I’ve had the best possible gifts-- time on the phone with our adult kids and grandkids. DH & I had a facetime conversation with our son and daughter in law. There were lots of pictures of the play structure they’ve built for our grandson and stories about their rescue pup, Frankie. Our next gift was a call from our daughter. Our daughter’s oldest, Hazel, chatted with me on the phone while my daughter drove the family safely home. I am grateful for all of them. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon[/b}
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka - I have not seen a good new movie in a long time. It seems they are adapting them from books and are not doing that very well, or they are remaking older movies and they are not well done. I enjoyed the TV series Broadchurch, but it’s only 3 seasons.

Nice grad photos. You look ecstatic.

Barbara - I have to get a full pre-op clearance from my primary care doctor. I’m worried that because of my shortness of breath and allergy cough, I won’t be cleared. I have to get a COVID test 4 days before, which really seems quite silly to me.

Bananasandoranges - I also usually like to do something a little different for holidays, but this year, I just don’t care enough to make the effort.

Allie - Sounds like you’re recovery is going well! Good to hear. Your friends’ drive by was incredibly thoughtful.

Kelly - I told my mister years ago that his projects will not become my chores. Unless he clears it with me first, I don’t help him. In other words, he can’t start a big clear out or building project and then expect me to drop whatever I’m doing to help him, even if I’m just reading a book. My time is my time. He must plan accordingly.

My step-mother tested positive for COVID. She is quarantined in the basement of the house. My dad has not had symptoms so far. They live 1600+ miles away from us, so no fear of me getting it from her. Today, she has nausea and headaches.

Hope you all are doing what you want to do this week and weekend. I will be doing a lot of reading. I’m not even sure what we will have to for dinner tomorrow.

Tina in CA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌝😊🙂
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 1min 45sec, 3.05ap, 87ahr, 104mhr, 6.21mi= 586c
    Strava app = 752c
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to you all, hope you have the kind of day you wish for.

SuzieQ thanks for thinking about my DD and family

Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️🎄🎄
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Dug out from yesterday's blizzard. Sat in living room watch total white out. I did drive over to son's house today to dig it out. Driving still not the best but I wouldn't even venture out out. Hard to get Drew out today because only a high of 7 today. It was 40 degrees yesterday morning. She is not one to enjoy snow.

Listening to my church service tonight. Beautiful music.