Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    So sorry for all those with covid and health worries. <3

I've decided to make "the best brownies in the world " for the family. I will take them over tomorrow, along with a calendar that is going spare. Drop them on the doorstep and stand on the sidewalk. Hope to wave and shout at the grandchildren at least.

This means I do not feel like cooking this evening. So I bit the bullet and finally succumbed to downloading Deliveroo. :o>:)
    We will order our favourites from Fatto a Mano and a rocket (arugula) and parmesan salad. Delivery is free for the first two weeks. I think I will keep the oven on to heat them up in in case they arrive a bit cool.
    I was expecting DH to be very disapproving, but he seemed fine with it. I was going to order a local pizza pick up, but it's closed today and tomorrow.! Oh well. It's NYE.

Freezing cold out there, but it's sunny, so we are going out for a 5k walk.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,376 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year, Machka!

If I have my directions correct (always an iffy proposition), our next New Year's Eve celebrationist will be Julie in Paris, then all our UK compatriots... Happy New Year to all of us... here's hoping for 2021 to be better in every way!

Love,
    Lisa
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My 79-year old father's annual total is over 2000 km and my 79-year old mother's annual total is about 700 km. Both my parents are cyclists and have been for decades. They got me into cycling. They have also enjoyed hiking over the years, and my mother and I used to cross country ski.

My mother's parents, my grandparents on her side, were also quite active. My grandfather lived into his early 90s ... he was a cowboy in Canada way back when, and then got into mountain climbing and later just ordinary hiking and walking. My grandmother lived to 97 and she hiked with my grandfather, walked a lot, and did a lot of gardening in big gardens.

I've been active my entire life because I grew up in an active family and it was just what we did. :)

Machka in Oz
    That's great!
    My mom was quite the non-athletic person!
    My dad more normal on that level: very active as a young teen, and then more sometimes jogging to get weight off from middle age, and eventually downhill skiing from time to time, for holiday, and he would often be up for a walk if I suggested it and we were both free when he was about 60ish and laid off for a couple of years, and he would mow the lawn, play golf, paint the house, so often pretty regularly suburban dad active, but not super-sporty.

Life expectancy:
    An average of my parents and grandparents ages brings to 74 years old.
    I took a lifetime expectancy test and it has me at 78, with possibility to prolong 19 years if I do this and that, and until 74 healthy.

Living till 78 would be more easy to manage financially. I can very likely swing that, barring the unexpected, cause- really-who knows what life and the world will bring.

But no guarantee of that either, so kinda have to prepare in case I live a bit longer.
    I was quite high energy. (very athletic..) til about 40 when I got 4 bugs simultaneously during a 2 week trip to India, 2 that had medium-term effect(over a year). (I lost about 18 lbs in 2 weeks and kept them off for a long time- my only time in life being underweight). though what I had was, in theory, acute, not chronic, having so many things at once, at about 40 took a toll. Plus both parents died around then, within a year. (ages 75 and 79). It was fine, as these things go, (I don't think my grieving was remarkably difficult) but that is also a damper. I used to be higher than average energy for my age for sure, and now I am certainly not. I might be average energy at best!
    I do still go for walks regularly, and I work a LOT sometimes, and get workout often enough, and work requires being rather on the ball.
    I'm glad I enjoyed tons of sports: hiking, swimming, biking, camping, etc, when I could without much concern.
    I will still aim for an easy hike when/if COVID situation ends, and swimming when pools open again safely...

My body chemistry does horrible things to most perfumes, and within a very short period of time they smell rancid and/or nauseating, so I end up scrubbing them off. Some actually give me a rash, so I'm pretty careful about what I even try. The one I loved for many years was a Calvin Klein knockoff by Parfum du Coeur, and of course they quit making it ten years ago. Oddly enough, I never liked the actual CK One version that it was supposed to mimic.

Anyway, I found something a few weeks ago at Sam's Club for a reasonable price, Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture Perfume. Tried the tester while I was there shopping (hard to get the scent through a mask, but not impossible), and once all my shopping was done, went back and picked up a bottle. Really pleased with it. Scents that I love are quite soothing for me... so you'll find me taking deep breaths with my nose at my wrist more often than I'm willing to admit. The longer it's on, the better it smells. Makes me happy.

Lisa

I never could wear regular perfumes (but I haven't tried them all). where I buy skin creams they slip me perfume samples regularly and I just dislike them. I did find one that was very natural and a mix of spices that I could wear. I'm not sure if they still have it. I used to sometimes wear a dab or two of essential oil, which I think is part of what the perfumes are made from. I think I find the mild spicy ones more soothing and bearable longer term.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    So far 2021 is wonderful. Warm bed. Quiet night.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Happy New Year, Machka! (Putting in spoiler because glittery/flashy graphics may bother some people)
    t9305.gift79225.gif
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Yesterday I granted myself a 1-year extension on all plans, projets and so on envisioned for over the past year. :D<3
    ---

<3

Long call with insurance company. By upping price I can probably benefit overall due to crowns and implant.
    I have to sit down and do the numbers. I used to love doing that. Now it's one thing that is often put off.

Went for a walk about town (errands, over an hour walking at leisurely pace a bit of shopping, and a bit of chatting with people I run into shopping):
    picked up cake from bakery and dropped if off to be distributed to more than 6,000 people at shelters.
    They offered a green tea, and
    then I got my espresso at the bakery,
    and went to the neighbourhood "natural wine" store. (not sure what that means, I get that it's organic plus) with consignment have liter bottle. For 7 euros I can get a half bottle that reminds me slightly of port wine. It seems to keep a bit longer than usual wine. so with a pump I can possibly finish a half bottle before it goes bad. it has an oaky taste that I like.

Then picked up vitamin D mega-dose (I was supposed to get it long ago). I'll celebrate new year with a shot of vitamin D!

Then bought food and went to the frozen food store. Was grateful that there is this easy to prepare decent quality food. I remember a story my dad saying his dad would not accept not to have warm food on Sundays, (or any day of the week) so grandma could have a day off, so grandma was so happy when they invented canned soup! so she could have Sundays off, at least in terms of cooking.

I told the cashier, "Thank goodness you are there, so we don't have to cook so much." I think it made him happy to hear someone grateful. It's not at all a habit to express gratitude in France. People even think it suspect (like you are trying to get something) or overly simple (to say your grateful for everything automatically), which is not my favorite part about France. (There are many other things that are likeable about france; relatively high political awareness; relatively lower consumerism, and surely many other things, to love more or less on both sides).

Made a vegetable-rich lunch
    Salad: endives plus a rich-ish tofu thing
    cooked : adzuki beans, chard, onions and a bit of olive oil and curry.
    I need to eat more veggies per day.

Good choice: rather than getting a desert I bought organic frozen blueberries and raspberries. With soy yogurt and a smidgen of maple syrup and a dash of cardamom and or coconut and a very tiny bit of tahini, and maybe some seeds, that can be very delicious desert, frozen or not. Or blended beans with melted unsweetened chocolate, can be a base for a more chocolaty dessert.

Ok, going forth with my 4 habits for this week.
    tracking (on track)
    and 15 min each:
    meditation
    paperwork
    cleaning

Then I guess I'll look at 2021 goals.

I am still SO FAR behind in paper work.
    I've been in the habit of just letting it pile up and not thinking about it. this disconnecting is certainly a good skill.... up to a point.

Not sure how I will ever catch up but I do believe I will, somehow someday. Not sure when...

<3<3<3

• bananasandoranges
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So far 2021 is wonderful. Warm bed. Quiet night.

M in Oz

Oh, wow! you are already there! Thanks for letting us know how it is! Happy New Year Machka! and anyone else in that time zone. And everyone else if you read this by that time in your place. <3:)<3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :) One of the items on my daily "to do" list is to start the new thread, but I am among the last of us to get to the end of the day. I'll be in bed by 8 so the new thread will probably be posted by 5 PM Pacific Time.

:) I don't always sleep well, but last night I did and I woke up later than usual to the sound of Jake coming into the bedroom with leashes to get the dogs for their before breakfast walk. What a treat to sleep a little later (for me, that means 5:20).

:) I am considering "lighten up" as my word for 2021. The reference is to how focused I can be on doing things right and on schedule and on the need to drop the few pounds that have crept up as the result of enjoying the great meals that Jake cooks in his NInja Foodi.

:)Machka, if your dad is retired and you are working, it is not surprising that he can ride more miles than you. I am retired and have the luxury of walking more and riding my exercise bike more because I have the time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Katiebug, glad you're getting your pin out, and PT doesn't sound like much fun, but you will take it in stride because you're that kind of girl. :) My best friend, who broke a finger when it got caught in the door mechanism of a Chick-Fil-A, just got to the splint stage too, and yesterday told me "I only have to wear it in a situation where I could fall. So inside. And outside." Made me laugh, but lordie, y'all need to be careful!

Lisa in AR

Yes! That is me. My husband said the same thing - I should probably wear my splint everywhere! He thought it was funny that my PT debated even making me a new one since I was so close to not needing it at all. He says she would be better to make me a full-body bubble wrap one.
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Happy New Years Eve everyone <3

I will try to be more active on here, but I am spending a lot of time on the computer at the moment. I have joined an exercise group which I do for 40 - 45 mins every morning after walking the dog, I've also joined a decluttering group ( but I need to get off my computer to complete the tasks and get my house into some sort of order :) )

Love
    Viv <3

Which decluttering group did you join? I belong to the Clutterbug group (which I've unfollowed) and a private group of Dana K White's called Kindred Spirits. Cas (Clutterbug), Dana (Slob Comes Clean) and Dawn (Minimal Mom) have teamed up to offer a course beginning tomorrow called Take Your House Back. Although I honestly don't think I need the course, I love those three and it's fun to watch them interact together, plus Dana offered a 50% code to the Kindred Spirits since we already support her through Patreon, so I decided to sign up to send a little more support her way. I watch Dawn on YouTube but don't belong to her FB group. I used to belong to a group led by Taylor somebody. I even supported her for a while through Patreon but grew bored with the group. the Take Your House Back class also has a private FB group, but I may unfollow it soon. It's already getting on my nerves a bit - too many young moms who have different decluttering issues than I do.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Well, that was funny! I got all wrapped up in my down coat, hat, and gloves and we started off down the road. I got half way down the road when I realised I was jogging, not walking! :D
    I haven't been jogging recently because I have had gluteal tendinopathy for over a month and have been walking the 5k. I decided to carry on and see how it went. I jogged the whole way! Happy me!
    I hope I don't suffer for it later, but it has been such a lot better recently. I've been doing all the physio etc. I did get rather hot in all my layers, but was able to undo toggles etc.
    It felt soooooo good to jog again. (My jogging is more like a bouncy shuffle! )

Now to have a cup of tea and start on the brownies.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    If you think you are fit and tough, think again! :o:o:o:p

y1l7cykwajpp.jpg

Amazing!

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Luannelizabeth
    Luannelizabeth Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this group but I'm not seeing much posted about diet, nutrition, exercise, etc. Is there another board where that happens?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🎊🎉🥂
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen in VAVA

GOOD ONE !!

Janetr OKC
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Jumping in as I catch up on posts. Just got to Karen's pic and I am laughing waaaaay too hard at it! So funny! Then I read Flea's response "...took me a few seconds. I am a city girl." Which started the laughing all over again. Now I have to pee.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Of course, we get up this morning to no heat. Luckily my husband can fix anything and next door neighbor/best friend had his own Heating/Air Conditioning repair company for years.

Raising my coffee mug to seeing the rear end of 2020 !

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    6z9kkch9jbpv.jpeg
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Luannelizabeth- This is a great group for getting/keeping your head on straight (which we all acknowledge is a huge part of wellness). Some of us post our daily fitness routines. WE discuss topics such as different meal/diet/food choices (keto, CICO, fodmap, ww, etc.), different exercises, menopause, health issues,...the list of topics is endless. Barbie will be posting a link to the January thread before the end of the day. I think it would be a good idea if we all post a little "getting to know me" paragraph about ourselves and maybe state our goals for the month of January/for the year. Many of us also pick a "word" to help us stay on track for the year. There is a lot of chit chat, but don't feel like you need to read everything (skimming is okay) and just hop in or introduce a topic you would like to see. Welcome and please join in! KJ (Kelly)

Pip- I have said it before and I will say it again; Yogi is a handsome guy! I think the wet pic of him is my favorite! <3