Help keep losing muscle and gaining fat slow metabolism

Options

Replies

• globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Tues and wed depends on intensity of spin/rpm class at home.
    When you are doing spin class, does it give you your total watts for the session?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    There are a lot of people in the healthy BMI range that are overfat and with the health implications that goes along with that, generally unfit too.
    Overweight is not the specific issue when one is - it's the being overfat that is.
    Hence the reason BMI is not always a great individual indicator of health. Statistically yes perhaps.

OP did do plenty of cardio though as mentioned in one of her posts. That is much easier to maintain the benefits by keeping active, and the low HR that goes along with it. Besides 2 sessions weekly of cardio she mentioned still doing will help greatly.

DEXA and indirect calorimeter are the gold standards of testing - very real connection to reality.
    Unless there is evidence of a screwup.

Yes, but the paperwork states OP wants to be 121 lbs. That is weight loss, not fat loss.

Under 60 heart rate is bradycardia which is normal in endurance athletes, not so much for casual cardio doers.

I had missed seeing the post with the specific weights. I agree that isn’t what I would call lifting heavy - particularly the leg press. But it does indicate OP has some muscle somewhere.
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I have a calibrated scale paid for from a nutritionist.

If you are in the US realize anyone with absolutely no training can call themselves a nutritionist. A Registered Dietitian actually has a college degree in the field and has passed licensing exams.

Some people use the terms interchangeably but they are not the same thing.

She stated in one of her later posts that she's in Australia.
  • brianpperkins131
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Argue with this clinical test where i had to breath into a machine. Lots of requirements before test could be performed.
    I'm not going to argue with it. I will note a few things that raise reasonable questions.

The caloric ranges for loss, maintain, and even require medical supervision all overlap. In fact your entire loss range is within your maintain range. Then again, the loss range is all of seven calories with the top and bottom numbers included in the range ... too small to accurately measure with the inherent errors in labeling, weighing, and variations in caloric density.

Human bodies don't burn just one source of fuel which makes the 100% from carbs rather interesting.

Your VO2 also caught my eye. Absolute VO2 uptake is normally measured in liters per minute while yours is in milliliters per minute, and well below one liter.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    surely those calculations are based on 'at rest', more about and you will have a higher TDEE.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I have a calibrated scale paid for from a nutritionist.

If you are in the US realize anyone with absolutely no training can call themselves a nutritionist. A Registered Dietitian actually has a college degree in the field and has passed licensing exams.

Some people use the terms interchangeably but they are not the same thing.

This is a bit of a myth. While it may be true in some states, other states require specific education or licensing. In my state, for example, you have to have a masters or doctorate in certain fields related to nutrition and supervised experience. You also need to apply for a license. So the best advice in the US would be to research the qualifications for your specific state to understand exactly what one needs to be a nutritionist, as you may or may not be getting the level of education, experience, and licensing that one would expect.

(But it does seem that in Australia, where OP is, some skepticism is absolutely called for).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    surely those calculations are based on 'at rest', more about and you will have a higher TDEE.

Measurements, not calculations - and correct.

Unless you mean the extra calories above RMR, that's 20% for NEAT, and 10% for TEF. Exercise not estimated. Those are calculations.

@brian - at rest is given as mL - that's actually correct. You are thinking of VO2max test where absolute is given as L/min and more commonly mL/kg/min.
  • brianpperkins131
    Options

Unless you mean the extra calories above RMR, that's 20% for NEAT, and 10% for TEF. Exercise not estimated. Those are calculations.

@brian - at rest is given as mL - that's actually correct. You are thinking of VO2max test where absolute is given as L/min and more commonly mL/kg/min.

Measurements doesn't mean correct, accurate, precise measurements. Her VO2 numbers are well below those of 81 senior citizen women tested in the below linked study. None of us can know if she was breathing normally or if the test equipment resulted in a change from normal ... which then skewed the test. I know my first time with indirect calorimeter was off from subsequent tests.

Then there is the rest of what I mentioned which you didn't initially object to.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19713012/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Measurements doesn't mean correct, accurate, precise measurements. Her VO2 numbers are well below those of 81 senior citizen women tested in the below linked study. None of us can know if she was breathing normally or if the test equipment resulted in a change from normal ... which then skewed the test. I know my first time with indirect calorimeter was off from subsequent tests.

Then there is the rest of what I mentioned which you didn't initially object to.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19713012/

Don't object, valid points many have made for calorie ranges.

I commented early on how low that reading is as red flag to possible issue to call them about.
    By the time you've spent 28 min under the hood though, breathing should be back to normal and avg measurement should be good.

Mine was face mask and back to normal after a minute, proceeding a VO2max test.