GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Figured as well as my bench press test went yesterday, I could swap out my heavy leg day today for a squat test day. Bear in mind I haven't gone fewer than 10 reps in a set in years, although those sets are at a higher weight than I used to do sets of five at back in the day.

So I broke out my old knee wraps and weight belt out of storage and hit the rack, being extra careful to set the safety bar at the correct height in case I had to bail. Thorough warmup with ramping weight but de-ramping reps, until I started doing singles after my working weight of 405.

Added the wraps and belt after a couple heavy singles just as a precaution more than anything, and wow, I forgot how restrictive the wraps are, lol. But I kept adding 20# each time and the weight kept moving... 445, 465, 485 (matching previous lifetime PR).

Time for the big show, 5 plates, 495! (Threw on a couple micro-plates to make it an even 500, just for kicks and giggles.) Bar bending, spine feeling like an accordion getting compressed, feet barely shuffling into position an inch at a time. But the rep itself moved smoothly enough, and I had finished another PR!

That's the last time I do a squat PR, though. My knees and legs took it gamely enough, and arguably could have gone even higher, but my spine was letting me know in no uncertain terms that I was DONE.

Between yesterday's bench plus today's squat plus my last recorded deadlift (before I stopped them due to injury), I now qualify for the 1200# club at BW 200.

Epic!!! Absolutely epic!!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    Back in my military days, they were playing around with their annual physical fitness test. One year they tried a stationary bike with variable resistance and a heart rate monitor, somebody would change the resistance and watch the change in heart rate.

Short answer was I failed spectacularly, because my heart rate has a tendency to go from zero to sixty in nothing flat, even with light work, but never really spike high, just stay level. But the test scored on a sliding scale, and said I must be lousy fitness because I went high fast instead of staying low, despite the fact the pedaling remained easy for me.

I didn't feel bad about it, though. Nearly 90% of the military "failed" that test, including a dude in my unit who finished in the top 50 overall at the Boston Marathon. Yep, that guy must have lousy cardio...

That is a terrible test, because it say's absolutely nothing.
    Low heartrate doesn't mean good cardio.
    It's about having a pretty even cardio, and how fast it goes back to "normal" once the cardio is taken away
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    Figured as well as my bench press test went yesterday, I could swap out my heavy leg day today for a squat test day. Bear in mind I haven't gone fewer than 10 reps in a set in years, although those sets are at a higher weight than I used to do sets of five at back in the day.

So I broke out my old knee wraps and weight belt out of storage and hit the rack, being extra careful to set the safety bar at the correct height in case I had to bail. Thorough warmup with ramping weight but de-ramping reps, until I started doing singles after my working weight of 405.

Added the wraps and belt after a couple heavy singles just as a precaution more than anything, and wow, I forgot how restrictive the wraps are, lol. But I kept adding 20# each time and the weight kept moving... 445, 465, 485 (matching previous lifetime PR).

Time for the big show, 5 plates, 495! (Threw on a couple micro-plates to make it an even 500, just for kicks and giggles.) Bar bending, spine feeling like an accordion getting compressed, feet barely shuffling into position an inch at a time. But the rep itself moved smoothly enough, and I had finished another PR!

That's the last time I do a squat PR, though. My knees and legs took it gamely enough, and arguably could have gone even higher, but my spine was letting me know in no uncertain terms that I was DONE.

Between yesterday's bench plus today's squat plus my last recorded deadlift (before I stopped them due to injury), I now qualify for the 1200# club at BW 200.

HOLY *kitten*! 5 plates...Man you are awesome!
    My goal is 400lbs in next 2 years
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I hear ya. A few years back when I injured both shoulders benching, my PT told me that from then on, I was supposed to do 4 sets of back for every 3 sets of chest, partially to counter my typical male idiocy of focusing on only the chest when I started lifting, partially to offset a day job at a desk with a long commute. It's worked, too.

That is what my PT wants as well. Much more pull volume.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Hockey w/ a broken mop and (unused) urinal cake..because..why not?

gc58btq32pb4.gif
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    Maybe because I can ice skate but not roller skate...
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options

To be fair he roller blading 😂
  • psuLemon
    Options
    2m1iwap79w4w.gif

280lbs on incline bench.

Nice!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options
    2m1iwap79w4w.gif

280lbs on incline bench.

Wow! Well done! 👏 👏
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

actchulalllyy it is technically called inline skating.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Options
    cowsfan12 wrote: »

actchulalllyy it is technically called inline skating.

Tomato - tomoto
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,116 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    2m1iwap79w4w.gif

280lbs on incline bench.

Nice!!
    2m1iwap79w4w.gif

280lbs on incline bench.

Wow! Well done! 👏 👏

Thank you both.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Sheesh, @kinetixtrainer2! On an incline bench, no spotter, and you banged out a rep dang near my 1RM for flat squat, yet your rep had better range of motion, was smoother, and required a fraction the time to complete.

Where's the Wayne's World "we're not worthy!" emoji?
  • nossmf
    Options
    🙇🤷🙇
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Sheesh, @kinetixtrainer2! On an incline bench, no spotter, and you banged out a rep dang near my 1RM for flat squat, yet your rep had better range of motion, was smoother, and required a fraction the time to complete.

Where's the Wayne's World "we're not worthy!" emoji?

Haha, thank you my friend. Truthfully I expected to get a bit more. I’ve been working incline presses as my primary compound movement for chest for a couple years now. Due to the reason you listed above I’ve always favored the smith machine. I also like that the smith allows me to focus a bit more on mind/muscle. For this 12 week program my incline presses have been a reverse pyramid of 5 sets, 1,2,3,4 and 5 reps. I reached 320 on the smith. This 12 week program finished today. I had decided to move my inclines to free weights for this next 12 week program. I truthfully feel like I can get a bit more once my secondary muscles adapt to the new lift. And I thank you for very kind words brother.
  • nossmf
    Options
    See, it's videos like yours which are plenty reason to convince me to not try to sneak in a video of my own pitiful efforts, lol. I don't think I'd like the comparison, lol.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    See, it's videos like yours which are plenty reason to convince me to not try to sneak in a video of my own pitiful efforts, lol. I don't think I'd like the comparison, lol.

I highly disagree brother. Sounds like you have some great lifts. I’d enjoy seeing them.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Thanks.

I decided to just stick with the routine I've been following, rather than change things up just to try for a 1RM on bench. As long as it works, don't fix what ain't broke, am I right? And it seems to still be working, as I banged out 5 sets of 3 reps at 275, where in the past at least one of those sets would be only a double.

I won't even think about trying another bench 1RM test day until I can get 5x5x275.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks.

I decided to just stick with the routine I've been following, rather than change things up just to try for a 1RM on bench. As long as it works, don't fix what ain't broke, am I right? And it seems to still be working, as I banged out 5 sets of 3 reps at 275, where in the past at least one of those sets would be only a double.

I won't even think about trying another bench 1RM test day until I can get 5x5x275.

Sounds like a solid plan to me. I do something similar and will just repeat the meso cycle.