GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,807 Member
    Options
    I was going to post my first gif but the video recording kept shutting off my music and then the phone fell over from where I had it propped up. It was a sign. I'll try again in a couple of months.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,559 Member
    Options
    I was going to post my first gif but the video recording kept shutting off my music and then the phone fell over from where I had it propped up. It was a sign. I'll try again in a couple of months.

Tips... Prop phone against water jug. If you want to keep your sound and have android. The only one that has worked was snapchat. If you have apple, I think you can use the video camera using some super secret tip!

Don't wait so long!
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,807 Member
    Options

Tips... Prop phone against water jug. If you want to keep your sound and have android. The only one that has worked was snapchat. If you have apple, I think you can use the video camera using some super secret tip!

Don't wait so long!

😂 I was using an iPhone. I play my music through the gym speakers with a Bluetooth connection and when I turned on the video it shut off my music and that kind of killed my vibe. And then I tried propping the phone on a hook on the next rack over and every vibration made it fall. I'll try again soon though.

Thank you for the tips and encouragement!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Don't wait so long!

😂 I was using an iPhone. I play my music through the gym speakers with a Bluetooth connection and when I turned on the video it shut off my music and that kind of killed my vibe. And then I tried propping the phone on a hook on the next rack over and every vibration made it fall. I'll try again soon though.

Thank you for the tips and encouragement!

For iPhone users...
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fqqlvjAqDto?si=Mx7loT4l8-xX9X6q

For android.. If you start recording, then display notifications and click play on the Spotify notification.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    So there I was, heavy upper body day, struggling to get that third rep in my third set of bench press triples, and it hit me: I've been stupid. For all my talk about having lifted for 15 years and learned a thing or two, there I was simply banging at yet another max-effort triple, hoping it would lead to becoming stronger, even though I've stalled the last few weeks. I had fallen prey to another classic newbie blunder.

So I dropped the weight from 275 to 225, banged out 8 and 15 reps on my final two sets (the latter a new PR), and the rest of my "heavy" day kind of morphed into a heavier-than-average hypertrophy day, doing pyramid sets from 6-10 reps, all while I was thinking about what I could be doing differently. And it hit me: do what I did for my squats those years back.

See, I had this block where no matter what I did, I could not get my squat past 315 for a single rep, I had stalled for several weeks. So I dropped the weight to 225 and did massive rep numbers for a couple months, we're talking sets of 15, 20, 25 and more. After a couple months I went back to try the 315 squat again, and not only did I breeze through, I added an additional 30 pounds that day (and obviously more since).

No, I do not expect to be able to bench 225 for multiple sets of 25 reps, yikes! But the concept of submaximal load for higher reps, especially following a prolonged stretch of heavy singles, doubles and triples, is growing in appeal to me.

So I have some homework to do before next Monday: check the calculators to figure out, for my current 1RM of 295, what weight I should be able to do sets of 8, 10, 12 and so on, and swap between those weights for at least a month, maybe longer, see if I can't jar myself into resuming progress. If nothing else, I think my 46yo joints would appreciate the break without having to give up lifting completely.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I'm on week 7/7 myself, so this week I'm doing 4 sets of doubles at 95%

I honestly feel like this round has been stronger and felt great all around. Next week would either be a deload and then a 1rm test, if I were competing... Or I do the 1rm test, then deload, and start back again with 70% of 1rm. 😊

Tonight's workout was heavy, but also so good and rewarding.

Here's a vid recap... Pretty proud of these results.

I'm also seriously thinking about finding and entering a comp.

h0uyic6tp9bp.gif
  • nossmf
    Options
    Found this bench program online which tries to combine volume with heavy lifting. Week one starts with 10 triples at 65% of 1RM. Every week you repeat, adding 5lbs each week. The trick comes that each week you only do a number of sets equal to the successful triples from the week before. So if you complete all 10 triples week one, you do 10 sets week two. If you only get 2 reps on the final set, you only do 9 sets week three. Continue for as as many weeks as you are able to complete at least one triple. At that point recalculate your 1RM, which the site bragged about people adding 10-25lbs onto their 1RM by the end of this program, which could take several months before the person is unable to complete at least one triple.

I'm a tad skeptical about that degree of improvement, but the overall idea intrigues me. Those first few weeks would feel quite weird, though, going from my current 5 triples at 275 to 10 triples at 195 (based on a confirmed 1RM of 295, not the theoretical 1RM of 335 which calculators suggested I can do).
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,125 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Found this bench program online which tries to combine volume with heavy lifting. Week one starts with 10 triples at 65% of 1RM. Every week you repeat, adding 5lbs each week. The trick comes that each week you only do a number of sets equal to the successful triples from the week before. So if you complete all 10 triples week one, you do 10 sets week two. If you only get 2 reps on the final set, you only do 9 sets week three. Continue for as as many weeks as you are able to complete at least one triple. At that point recalculate your 1RM, which the site bragged about people adding 10-25lbs onto their 1RM by the end of this program, which could take several months before the person is unable to complete at least one triple.

I'm a tad skeptical about that degree of improvement, but the overall idea intrigues me. Those first few weeks would feel quite weird, though, going from my current 5 triples at 275 to 10 triples at 195 (based on a confirmed 1RM of 295, not the theoretical 1RM of 335 which calculators suggested I can do).

Try it and report back. I’d be interested to see how it works out in practice.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    n45fraqbzyai.jpg

I was a bit annoyed at the start as my squat progression has stalled, but I pulled it back with press and pull ups.

I'll give it a few more sessions and if squat isn't moving I'll probably go for the next 1rm on it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So there I was, heavy upper body day, struggling to get that third rep in my third set of bench press triples, and it hit me: I've been stupid. For all my talk about having lifted for 15 years and learned a thing or two, there I was simply banging at yet another max-effort triple, hoping it would lead to becoming stronger, even though I've stalled the last few weeks. I had fallen prey to another classic newbie blunder.

So I dropped the weight from 275 to 225, banged out 8 and 15 reps on my final two sets (the latter a new PR), and the rest of my "heavy" day kind of morphed into a heavier-than-average hypertrophy day, doing pyramid sets from 6-10 reps, all while I was thinking about what I could be doing differently. And it hit me: do what I did for my squats those years back.

See, I had this block where no matter what I did, I could not get my squat past 315 for a single rep, I had stalled for several weeks. So I dropped the weight to 225 and did massive rep numbers for a couple months, we're talking sets of 15, 20, 25 and more. After a couple months I went back to try the 315 squat again, and not only did I breeze through, I added an additional 30 pounds that day (and obviously more since).

No, I do not expect to be able to bench 225 for multiple sets of 25 reps, yikes! But the concept of submaximal load for higher reps, especially following a prolonged stretch of heavy singles, doubles and triples, is growing in appeal to me.

So I have some homework to do before next Monday: check the calculators to figure out, for my current 1RM of 295, what weight I should be able to do sets of 8, 10, 12 and so on, and swap between those weights for at least a month, maybe longer, see if I can't jar myself into resuming progress. If nothing else, I think my 46yo joints would appreciate the break without having to give up lifting completely.

That is awesome. I have run similar blocks of submaximal training and in the end, it paid off.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Update: i am broke as hell 😂. I can do minimal back work and legs. But progressing with PT. Still hoping for no surgery, especially since my wife is about to hit surgery # 13.

Take care of yourself, dude. All the best to you both trying to heal up.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Thought at first you meant broke as in no money, but considering you're looking at potentially multiple surgeries (worst case scenario) plus lots of food deliveries (no standing and cooking for either of you), you might soon be broke as well as broke! lol
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thought at first you meant broke as in no money, but considering you're looking at potentially multiple surgeries (worst case scenario) plus lots of food deliveries (no standing and cooking for either of you), you might soon be broke as well as broke! lol

Ahahah.. very true.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I didn't want to wait until Monday to try this 10x3 protocol out, so I included it in my full-body routine today in place of my usual incline bench.

185 (62% 1RM) x10x3

Honestly, it felt like nothing more than an extended warmup, the hardest part was remembering whether I was on set 8 or set 9, lol. But I'll trust the system, because I know in just a few weeks I'll be unable to complete all 10 triplets, and then the real work will begin. Until then, I'm just concentrating on making sure my form is locked in.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I didn't want to wait until Monday to try this 10x3 protocol out, so I included it in my full-body routine today in place of my usual incline bench.

185 (62% 1RM) x10x3

Honestly, it felt like nothing more than an extended warmup, the hardest part was remembering whether I was on set 8 or set 9, lol. But I'll trust the system, because I know in just a few weeks I'll be unable to complete all 10 triplets, and then the real work will begin. Until then, I'm just concentrating on making sure my form is locked in.

I look forward to following along as you progress!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Ahahah.. very true.

oh geeze man, so sorry to hear this. I hope you and your wife come out the other side ok (and feeling better than ever!)
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ybpa2equmjd6.jpg

Decided to find new 1rm today. Thoroughly enjoy lifting heavy vs lifting for reps.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Each has their unique attraction, but it's hard to deny the satisfaction one gets from looking at a large piece of iron, deciding you want it to move, and then making it happen.

Lifting heavy gets in your blood. I started my lifting career as a powerlifter, swapped to standard sets of 10 following injuries, but always longed for a return to lifting heavy, which I eventually have done. I just play it smarter in that I don't lift heavy every single day, just every single week.