GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a question about deadlifts. When you're doing a set, do you stop and reset for each rep? Or just rep out continuously for the set? I usually do them continuously and wonder if I'm cheating it a little with momentum???

I would not call it cheating to continuously do a set. I reset between reps on heavy reps because I want to ensure I have form right. But on lighter reps I will go continuous. It doesn't make it any easier or harder, it depends on you.

If you are competing, it may be different, depending on judge and rules, but in general it's a what you are comfortable with, can keep form, and progress with.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I have a question about deadlifts. When you're doing a set, do you stop and reset for each rep? Or just rep out continuously for the set? I usually do them continuously and wonder if I'm cheating it a little with momentum???

I do them continuously. Except if I am doing a max PR then it is 1 rep for me. But if I put it down reset and do it again then it is not counted as a set. It's just 1 and 1 LOL
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

If you look at it very strict it is not a deadlift anymore doing it continiously.
    Because as the word says, it's a deadlift. So you start with a dead (non moving) weight

I used to do this as well, but i learned that getting it back on the ground, re-bracing yourself and then push your heels back into the ground and lift the weight up again, gets you stronger over time.
    Also, because i have lower back issues, it is even more important for me to not do it continiously, because you lose your brace on the core when doing sets of 10, and thus putting more stress on my lower back, at first i did not notice it right away, but as i progressed with the weight, i always had lower back pain a few hours after and the days after.

Once i stopped doing it continiously, i did not have the lower back pain anymore, because i keep much better form during my deadlifts. I brace before each time.
    In the long run i increased my deadlifts significally.
    I was stuck on 220 lbs for a long time, and now my PR is around 330 lbs for 5 reps. With better form, and painfree afterwards

when i get over 200 lbs I take my time each time i do a set to make sure my form is absolutely perfect and i wear wrist straps because my wrists are weak and I am not trying to focus a grip and take away from focusing on form.

I am so not trying to pull anything in my back
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    y9fsqz4fy6c7.jpg
    I need to keep the deadlifts where they are, or even lower, to focus on the "dead" lift. The first rep is always the hardest, so I probably am using momentum a little, even though it is slight. I really don't want to hurt my back!
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Another 5 am workout.... my shoulder is killing me from last night, so I did all light weight, a ton of reps. My coach suggested a cortisone shot for the meet, but not sure. I don’t even like taking Advil, so my instinct is not a chance, do any of you have experience with this?

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488611793361ea094455cf6a8134f70e85eec8fb0574&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

The shot will get you through the competition. However, it is a temporary relief and you could injury your shoulder more. I would say get the shot if you are in a lot of pain but exercise caution not to over work the shoulder. If you don't use KT tape, it's work a try. I would also suggest Tiger Balm; honestly it's a staple in my gym bag.

Thank you that’s a good point, I never used KT tape or tiger balm, but I’ll check both out. Thank you so much for the recommendations 😁
  • jennacole12
    Options
    stljam wrote: »
    Another 5 am workout.... my shoulder is killing me from last night, so I did all light weight, a ton of reps. My coach suggested a cortisone shot for the meet, but not sure. I don’t even like taking Advil, so my instinct is not a chance, do any of you have experience with this?

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488611793361ea094455cf6a8134f70e85eec8fb0574&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Unfortunately, yes. Feel free to message me if you want or ask anything you want here - I've had a number of shoulder injuries - surgery/pt/rehab, etc.

As to the cortisone injections,from what I can tell, their success seems dependent on the person's body chemistry (how medicines work or don't for different people), the root cause injury and perhaps the talent of the injector though this likely is not as big of a factor anymore thanks to medical technology. Limited data I have as an example - my dad and I have both gotten multiple shots in multiple areas without any relief, any time (more than 10 because insurance makes us do them before they will progress to the next step). I have other relatives where they gave relief for years.

If you want to know more about the actual procedure of the shots, my shoulder shots were years ago but I have had two back shots within the last two months. Again ask me anything.

One thing I would ask you to consider doing. Stand in a mirror and move each arm/shoulder one at a time. Raise your good arm over your head going out from the side and from the front, then do the same with your inured shoulder/arm. Try and note when you have pain and if your body is cheating to raise the arm. With my torn labrum, the only way i could raise my arm was by altering the actual way I completed the act. I didn't even realize i had modified it until my PT showed me in a mirror like this.

This is all so useful, I tried the suggestion but I’m so sore from yesterday I am struggling to tell where the pain is compared to normal muscle soreness. I’m going to attempt again in a few days.... thank you !!!
    dsc84 wrote: »

Everyone reacts differently to Cortisone shots. Depending on the pain level/tolerance sometimes they don't even touch the pain. I've done it once and I did not care for it. It wasn't for a competition, it was just for some shoulder pain as a course of treatment from the doctor as dictated by the insurance company, but I'm also not one for pain killers beyond the occasional ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

In high school there was a kid on our baseball team that got a Cortisone shot so he could pitch. Ended up destroying his arm. I to this day still struggle to believe a doctor would give this to him if he knew he was going to pitch. I'm guessing the doctor didn't know because it was a smaller town and stuff like that will ruin your practice. I will tell you that without it he wouldn't have pitched, and would more than likely have gone on to have at least a scholarship for baseball.

Personally I would suggest trying other things like the KT Tape, Tiger Balm/Icy Hot etc. to see where and how you feel using that. Not as strong and worth testing. Just be careful if you do decide to and know your limits because one competition isn't worth a lifelong injury.

You are right I hadn’t thought of it like that. I was thinking more it would get me through but not considering my feeling it could cause more damage 😕
  • jennacole12
    Options

I always listen to my body, (well i do now) pain is pain, no need to surpress it, because in long run, it will cause injury (speaking from experience)

I didn’t even think of it that way, so glad I brought it here you all have helped so much!
    steveko89 wrote: »

I can't speak to cortisone shots but would give KT tape a shot like GymGoddess suggested. It wreaks of pseudoscience but I've used it for nagging shoulder, knee, and ankle issues in the past with surprising success. Depending on the type of pain you're dealing with there may be different ways to apply it. The youtube instructional videos are pretty good in getting the tape applied the right way.

You’re right it def does 🤣 but I’m willing to try it out!!! And I’ll def have to look up how to put it on I’m clueless.
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I like how this has gone from a GIF thread to a community with a bunch of regulars. We should be the weekly "Gif"ters... get it... Lifters....
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options
    I like how this has gone from a GIF thread to a community with a bunch of regulars. We should be the weekly "Gif"ters... get it... Lifters....

I do too! I love how we are cheering each other on, and sharing advice, struggles. And yet I also love seeing new people share!

It's the best of all worlds!

• stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So under the category of other achievement that KAA mentioned a while back, this happened shortly before the pandemic (I didn't find this thread or my way back to mfp until after I was injured so no lifting gifs for me yet). Of course, this ex-NHL player more failed on the execution than I made the save but I can still legitimately say I stopped his spin-o-rama move on a breakaway in a tie, championship game, lol.

I love the camera iso on him after the stop and that he came over and chatted about it between periods. Big kudos to stlkem whose encouragement and support that allows me to do the event. I never would have done it without her prodding.

96oym884u0gh.gif

Also, playing against ex-pros is so humbling even if they are 45-60 year old. The guy who i stopped plans to play for his country in the men's world championships into his 50s.
  • stljam
    Options

I do too! I love how we are cheering each other on, and sharing advice, struggles. And yet I also love seeing new people share!

It's the best of all worlds!

My wife and I were chatting last night about certain things and how some friends are perhaps more one-way in their communication (receiving rather than supporting) and I mentioned to her that I thought that was why I liked this thread/group and a few others so much, because everyone seems so welcoming, encouraging, etc. It may have restored some of my faith in humanity a bit (too deep for chit chat). You all deserve a big thank you from me.
  • stljam
    Options
    Leg day makes me happy 🤣 even at 5 am which is a hard thing to do.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!!

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886befe108bd836852c58ea0139e0e50626a26f56d8&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

How is the shoulder?
  • jennacole12
    Options
    So under the category of other achievement that KAA mentioned a while back, this happened shortly before the pandemic (I didn't find this thread or my way back to mfp until after I was injured so no lifting gifs for me yet). Of course, this ex-NHL player more failed on the execution than I made the save but I can still legitimately say I stopped his spin-o-rama move on a breakaway in a tie, championship game, lol.

I love the camera iso on him after the stop and that he came over and chatted about it between periods. Big kudos to stlkem whose encouragement and support that allows me to do the event. I never would have done it without her prodding.

96oym884u0gh.gif

Also, playing against ex-pros is so humbling even if they are 45-60 year old. The guy who i stopped plans to play for his country in the men's world championships into his 50s.

That’s so cool!!
  • jennacole12
    Options

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886befe108bd836852c58ea0139e0e50626a26f56d8&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

How is the shoulder?

Actually I think the front squats hurt me more, I def won’t be doing them again without a safety bar. I guess safe fo assume the injury is in the front.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,549 Member
    Options

How is the shoulder?

Actually I think the front squats hurt me more, I def won’t be doing them again without a safety bar. I guess safe fo assume the injury is in the front.

I really hope that it heals up quickly, and doesn't impact your competition. *big hugs*
  • jennacole12
    Options

How is the shoulder?

I really hope that it heals up quickly, and doesn't impact your competition. *big hugs*

Thank you ♥️♥️♥️