GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• Ander254
    Ander254 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie
    Whats the disconnect?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I'll have to check out those Leguano's, @springlering62. Here's what I've tried previously:
    - Chucks (way too narrow)
    - Adidas Powerlifts (also too narrow, probably bought a size smaller than I ultimately should have)
    - Under Armour Charged Ultimates (were great but eventually wore out and started having discomfort after several years of use)
    - Under Armour Charged Legends (bought updated model of previous shoes, have used daily for ~15 months but never really liked them quite as much. Might be slightly more narrow than the Ultimates?)

Since I exclusively lift at home there's nothing to stop me from going barefoot, though the basement tends to get dusty and cold on the concrete in winter. Bearfoot also makes these trainer socks that look interesting: https://bearfoot.store/products/trainers-v3?variant=39386241269839
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Thanks, all. I'll have to check out those Leguano's, @springlering62. Here's what I've tried previously:
    - Adidas Powerlifts (also too narrow, probably bought a size smaller than I ultimately should have)
    - Under Armour Charged Ultimates (were great but eventually wore out and started having discomfort after several years of use)
    - Under Armour Charged Legends (bought updated model of previous shoes, have used daily for ~15 months but never really liked them quite as much. Might be slightly more narrow than the Ultimates?)

Since I exclusively lift at home there's nothing to stop me from going barefoot, though the basement tends to get dusty and cold on the concrete in winter. Bearfoot also makes these trainer socks that look interesting: https://bearfoot.store/products/trainers-v3?variant=39386241269839

I would say, give it a try for 3-4 weeks on barefoot.
    Like the article said, using shoes is basically masking your inability for depth, and going barefoot has increased my form drastically on my squats, and makes me push through the heels so much better

For winter, i'd go with those socks, looks cewl
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Like the article said, using shoes is basically masking your inability for depth, and going barefoot has increased my form drastically on my squats, and makes me push through the heels so much better

Yeah, fundamentally I think I need to start buying wider shoes across the board. I'm not so much worried about depth as I know it could use work and it's an ankle/hip mobility limitation.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,558 Member
    Options

I wear my Adidas powerlift shoes for my squats because I like the grip when I rotate my quads prior to the lift... Plus the slight wedge makes me ankle happier.

I'm in socks / barefoot for the rest. If I am in the gym, then I wear knockoff Chucks.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Back in the gym. My squats seem to be a little more consistent now...working through that wierd mind/body disconnect.
    0eov7795iswe.jpg

looks great!!! I'm glad that you're feeling a bit more consistent. :smile: You've got this!
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Yesterday I met with a coach at a powerlifting gym and paid for an hour long deadlift form assessment and training session.

He said that for the most part, my form is really good - just needs a bit of tweaking. One thing that I'm excited about...

When i first started deadlifting, I would stand straight, brace my core, then bend down, grab the bar, and lift. But I found that I tended to squat my deadlift because of poor form and my height (I'm 6'1:, so my starting point is slightly different than shorter people).

To fix that form, i started following the technique that Alan Thrall recommended for setup - bend down to the bar, touch shins, chest up and brace, then lift... and while that really helped with my hip placement, I cannot seem to get the same level of core bracing I'd have liked.

Last night the coach helped me work on both, so I'm going to go back to bracing while standing before the lift. Because I learned how I should feel hip position wise, I am less inclined to squat the lift now.

I am excited to try this return to my old setup - because I loved it and felt more energized before starting. haha
    I've found with Alan's way, I just couldn't brace my core the same way when trying to do it bent over.

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

Note... both of these were 1RM PRs, so form was not perfect. Also, even though there are 3 years between, I took about 2 years off lifting and had to restart from basically scratch. lol
    Second note... in retrospect, I think the vid on the left might have been 265 lol.
    Either way... you can see the difference in setup... that was my goal. lol
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    truGAINS wrote: »
    Cat0703a wrote: »
    truGAINS wrote: »
    Nice work

Speaking of nice work… @truGAINS let’s give this a go 😉

pwex9k6gboo5.gif

Thanks 😅
    that's a 95 pound dumbbell for 10 reps....goal is 100 pound for 100 reps over 8 sets

This is awesome!
  • Ander254
    Options
    @KickassAmazon76 Awesome! Imma use those tips!
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,421 Member
    Options
    And once again on @truGAINS’ behalf…some more awesomeness

k88flcn9hs01.gif

• truGAINS
    truGAINS Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Cat0703a wrote: »
    And once again on @truGAINS’ behalf…some more awesomeness

k88flcn9hs01.gif

😅 Thanks again
    90s on shoulder press for 10 ....labrum surgery about a year ago....trying to build back up
  • Ander254
    Options
    @truGAINS Great Pump Bro
  • truGAINS
    Options
    Ander254 wrote: »
    @truGAINS Great Pump Bro

Thank you
  • Ander254
    Options
    What exercises you use to increase bench max?
  • truGAINS
    Options
    Ander254 wrote: »
    What exercises you use to increase bench max?

I personally like to focus on Incline presses...standing shoulder presses...close grip bench presses...bo rows....core to some extent
  • Ander254
    Options
    Thanks Bro
  • truGAINS
    Options
    Good pull man
  • PCGull
    PCGull Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This was a PB lift of 160kg (353lbs)
    2dkuk35df5fo.gif
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,363 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I met with a coach at a powerlifting gym and paid for an hour long deadlift form assessment and training session.

He said that for the most part, my form is really good - just needs a bit of tweaking. One thing that I'm excited about...

When i first started deadlifting, I would stand straight, brace my core, then bend down, grab the bar, and lift. But I found that I tended to squat my deadlift because of poor form and my height (I'm 6'1:, so my starting point is slightly different than shorter people).

To fix that form, i started following the technique that Alan Thrall recommended for setup - bend down to the bar, touch shins, chest up and brace, then lift... and while that really helped with my hip placement, I cannot seem to get the same level of core bracing I'd have liked.

Last night the coach helped me work on both, so I'm going to go back to bracing while standing before the lift. Because I learned how I should feel hip position wise, I am less inclined to squat the lift now.

I am excited to try this return to my old setup - because I loved it and felt more energized before starting. haha
    I've found with Alan's way, I just couldn't brace my core the same way when trying to do it bent over.

hnpyv68sbs3b.gif

Note... both of these were 1RM PRs, so form was not perfect. Also, even though there are 3 years between, I took about 2 years off lifting and had to restart from basically scratch. lol
    Second note... in retrospect, I think the vid on the left might have been 265 lol.
    Either way... you can see the difference in setup... that was my goal. lol

I am gonna try this technique of Alan Thrall, it might actually fix my form on my deadlift
    #tallpeopleproblems