Calling all runners...

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I started back running in 2018 with a second round of C25K after a near miss with colon cancer - read that excess weight around the middle can increases changes so I wanted to make some changes... then a hysterectomy followed so there went all progress. Restarted last year, and running paired with MFP has left me 30 lbs lighter! Yay! I completed several virtual sprint tris this spring/summer which was a fun break from monotony. Just signed up for a virtual series through a local store called Frozen 5 - first one is tomorrow and it’s going to be chilly! I hope to do a half marathon in 2021.
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    How is everyone else dealing with the weather changes?

Sadly, staying indoors, not doing much. My glitchy body doesn’t handle the cold well at all. I did do a few miles last week once roads were mostly clear and what was left was slushy, that was fun, and so beautifully quiet!
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    So 12 weeks ago I had my periodical work medical, I knew I was fat, unfit and had to make changes, so I started walking/jogging. Started cycling again once I got a bit fitter and have now a new passion to want to do tri's, so I'm also throwing in a bit of swimming. But one of my biggest motivators to get out and train is doing Parkrun every Saturday morning, if you don't know about these you should google them and see if there is one in your area - it's a free 5km timed run and has people of all abilities doing them.
    Because I had to go to work today I couldn't go to my local one, so I got myself up at 2:45am and did a 5km run anyway, going back 12 weeks nothing would've got me out of bed at that time for anything!!!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I love all of these stories, every single one!
  • woodsman57
    woodsman57 Posts: 35 Member
    Feel free to add me. Starting to run again after holidays. Need inspiration!
  • LoveyChar
    Hi everyone!!

I am a late in life runner, but it has become one of my absolute favorite things. I ran my first 5k in 2017, and just completed my second half marathon (virtual of course) with a time of 2:24. And I lost 80 pounds along the way!! I look forward to adding some of you awesome people to my feed :)
    xnxg5v54z2x6.jpg

You're beautiful!!! Nice loss, congratulations on the races!!!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    v8p71s96ziet.jpeg
    It was a surprising 62 degrees on my midday 10K run today! It's usually much colder at this point in the season but today is feeling quite warm B)
  • gutzbgon
    Hi everyone!!

I am a late in life runner, but it has become one of my absolute favorite things. I ran my first 5k in 2017, and just completed my second half marathon (virtual of course) with a time of 2:24. And I lost 80 pounds along the way!! I look forward to adding some of you awesome people to my feed :)
    xnxg5v54z2x6.jpg

Wow great achievements both the running and the weight loss!!!
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    Back at it-I've been a runner for years, did a half marathon a couple of years ago and was training for another when COVID hit (I'm a nurse, and it has been rough. Let my running game slip due to absolute exhaustion!). But I am back at it, 2-3 miles 2-3 times per week and building. If anyone is around the same place in their running game, please friend me! Could use the support/friendship/motivation!!!!

Stay safe, all!!!
  • gutzbgon
    Another 2:45am wakeup to do my planned 5km before I head to work, I kinda like that time of morning now, so still and quiet and not the brutal heat like during the day.
  • LoveyChar
    tappae wrote: »
    I started running regularly about 10 years ago, but hadn't done much for the past few years. I got back into it in 2020 and had a decent year, but didn't make all my goals. I tend to set high goals and then not quite get there. This year, I'm going to try and change my attitude toward running. I'm not setting goals or planning races. I'm just going to try and focus on sustainability and consistency and build my mileage up slowly.

Sweet picture of you with your little boy, great example you are setting for him by running!
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 917 Member
    litoria wrote: »
    I didn't start running until I was 42! I came back from trekking Everest base Camp and I was the fittest I've ever been, so I did park run and never looked back. I love the collegial attitude between runners of all shapes and sizes...and I love the feeling of a good rush :-)

I just did Everest base camp in March! Loved it so much.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 917 Member
    I've been running for quite a few years, but lately I've really come down in my weekly km. I've suffered from a lot of overuse injuries lately, but hoping to get back into increasing my kms.
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    I've been running for quite a few years, but lately I've really come down in my weekly km. I've suffered from a lot of overuse injuries lately, but hoping to get back into increasing my kms.

@Mrscanmore - I've also been dealing with some overuse injuries, so I took a break from running for about 1.5months (I'm a newer runner). Decided to go for an easy run on Jan 1st, and it wasn't horrible. But both my knees did hurt afterwards. Do you think it's worth it to keep going with the easy runs and build back up? Or, should I say farewell to running (I'm 43yo and don't know if this high impact activity will be good in the long term future)? May I ask what you are doing to get back to increasing your KMs?