Calling all runners...

Replies

• Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 917 Member
    @msapplek I'm trying to do more frequent shorter runs. I'm thinking I'll stay at 3 runs a week of 3 km each for January and then increase a tiny bit in February if all is well. I've also started doing the boot camps on the pelleton app. I like that it breaks up the run into run, weights, run, weights. So I still feel like I'm getting a run in, but my actual time running is less.
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    Last early run for a while as I fly home from work tomorrow and can get up at normal times! Started my run at 2:45am this morning, was already quite warm at 31deg (88F) but it warms you up quick haha
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    msapplek wrote: »
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    I've been running for quite a few years, but lately I've really come down in my weekly km. I've suffered from a lot of overuse injuries lately, but hoping to get back into increasing my kms.

@Mrscanmore - I've also been dealing with some overuse injuries, so I took a break from running for about 1.5months (I'm a newer runner). Decided to go for an easy run on Jan 1st, and it wasn't horrible. But both my knees did hurt afterwards. Do you think it's worth it to keep going with the easy runs and build back up? Or, should I say farewell to running (I'm 43yo and don't know if this high impact activity will be good in the long term future)? May I ask what you are doing to get back to increasing your KMs?

I ran my first Marathon, last year actually, at 43. I started running in my 30's but that may be irrelevant to you. No way are you too old! I've heard of people who started running in their 50's and 60's. And my opinion/advice would be to stay within your comfort zone and gradually work your way up. I remember when I believed I couldn't run even 1/3 of a mile. Then I pushed it to 2/3... by the end of that summer I was running 7 miles. 1/3 of a mile to 7 miles gradually...and yes, now I can run the long distance. Stick with it!
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    @dewd2 and @Djroulx - Interesting, I always hear about people who say that they stopped running because it was bad for their knees (or maybe they said their joints?). My injury was, at first, a very tight quad (which I do think it was related to running plus some strength training and overuse), but then the tight quad led to a horrible clicking noise in my knee when I ran, so I stopped. And the most recent run brought me back to pain in both knees. Hm, I'll give it another run and good stretching to see how I'm feeling.

@Mrscanmore - I was just considering signing up for the Peloton app for the running HIIT programs (eventually when I feel ready for it). Do you have the bike as well? Or just use the app? What is your overall impression? is it worth a subscription?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    edited January 2021
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    I've been running for quite a few years, but lately I've really come down in my weekly km. I've suffered from a lot of overuse injuries lately, but hoping to get back into increasing my kms.

@Mrscanmore - I've also been dealing with some overuse injuries, so I took a break from running for about 1.5months (I'm a newer runner). Decided to go for an easy run on Jan 1st, and it wasn't horrible. But both my knees did hurt afterwards. Do you think it's worth it to keep going with the easy runs and build back up? Or, should I say farewell to running (I'm 43yo and don't know if this high impact activity will be good in the long term future)? May I ask what you are doing to get back to increasing your KMs?

How old are your shoes? Wearing older shoes or the wrong kind can lead to knee issues as they stop giving support long before they look worn. Strengthening other muscles in your legs can also help. FWIW, I didn't start running until I was in my mid-50s. I had bad knees from backpacking. Running has made them better by strengthening my muscles, tendons, etc.

Re; HIIT. Don't do it until you get your knee/leg issue resolved. Hard speedwork puts a lot of stress on the body and is more likely to get you injured than slow easy runs.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 917 Member
    @msapplek I'm really enjoying Peleton. I don't have one of their bike, but I do have a trainer for my road bike, so I've been using that. I like that you can pick your length of workout. Today I wanted something short, so I did a 20 min ride. They also have lots of before and after run/ bike stretches. I like how I can combine the videos to customize my workout.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    @dewd2 and @Djroulx - Interesting, I always hear about people who say that they stopped running because it was bad for their knees (or maybe they said their joints?). My injury was, at first, a very tight quad (which I do think it was related to running plus some strength training and overuse), but then the tight quad led to a horrible clicking noise in my knee when I ran, so I stopped. And the most recent run brought me back to pain in both knees. Hm, I'll give it another run and good stretching to see how I'm feeling.

@Mrscanmore - I was just considering signing up for the Peloton app for the running HIIT programs (eventually when I feel ready for it). Do you have the bike as well? Or just use the app? What is your overall impression? is it worth a subscription?

If you are static stretching (especially cold muscle) it could be causing some of the problems. Dynamic stretches/warm up is good (not that most of us do it :D ).
  • lmtroake834
    lmtroake834 Posts: 11 Member
    Is there any such app that tracks distance on the treadmill? I have been using underarmours mapmyfitness app but it just tracks the time so it doesn't allow me to track my distance for any group challenges that I want to try. Any suggestions out there? I definitely prefer something that will connect to MyfitnessPal. 🤔
  • dewd2
    Is there any such app that tracks distance on the treadmill? I have been using underarmours mapmyfitness app but it just tracks the time so it doesn't allow me to track my distance for any group challenges that I want to try. Any suggestions out there? I definitely prefer something that will connect to MyfitnessPal. 🤔

Can you add the distance manually?

Garmin watches can sorta track dreadmill miles (accuracy varies). Garmin watches with the footpod are better assuming you've properly calibrated with a run outside first. Also, dreadmills can be inaccurate as well. Some can be calibrated but they can still drift over time.
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    tappae wrote: »
    I started running regularly about 10 years ago, but hadn't done much for the past few years. I got back into it in 2020 and had a decent year, but didn't make all my goals. I tend to set high goals and then not quite get there. This year, I'm going to try and change my attitude toward running. I'm not setting goals or planning races. I'm just going to try and focus on sustainability and consistency and build my mileage up slowly.

I started back a little over a year ago with the same mentality. My goal was to get out at least 2-3 times a week. So far, no burn out and some weeks it's only 1 run depending on what's going on. I've slowly built up to 4 miles but it's still interval running and I'm ok with that, just get out and do it. :)
  • lmtroake834
    lmtroake834 Posts: 11 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »

Garmin watches can sorta track dreadmill miles (accuracy varies). Garmin watches with the footpod are better assuming you've properly calibrated with a run outside first. Also, dreadmills can be inaccurate as well. Some can be calibrated but they can still drift over time.

Unfortunately I am an indoor girl with sketchy wifi in my location so other devices don't connect well and I haven't seen how I can enter distance manually on the app but I guess I'll just stay out of the online challenges and just track myself for my own benefits...thanks tho 😊
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member

Unfortunately I am an indoor girl with sketchy wifi in my location so other devices don't connect well and I haven't seen how I can enter distance manually on the app but I guess I'll just stay out of the online challenges and just track myself for my own benefits...thanks tho 😊

@Imtroake834 Maybe look at the Stryd footpod, expensive but gives you a lot information for both indoor and outdoor running.

https://www.stryd.com/en/
  • LoveyChar
    edited January 2021
    I registered for 6 virtual races this morning, the Run Austin Virtual Series, as they're free to anyone who is registered for the Austin Marathon. If they weren't free, I would never have registered for them. I've never run a virtual race and I've never had interest in doing it, either. I know some people enjoy virtual races. I'm trying to think of ways to make it more fun. For example, there's one named a Taco 10k , so I'm thinking about running it and having a taco bar set up afterwards like a big celebration. Signs being held up by family members, I don't know if they'd be thrilled to do it. Actual races, they have crazy fun at! I cannot in a million years recreate the exhilaration that the spectators and other runners bring, especially to the Marathon. Sadly, the full was postponed until next year.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    v9sc4bpyew05.jpeg
    It’s been unseasonably warm in the Bay Area, on yesterday’s run I just about overheated so today I wore shorts and a tank top and faired much better on my 6 miler!
  • LoveyChar
    v9sc4bpyew05.jpeg
    It’s been unseasonably warm in the Bay Area, on yesterday’s run I just about overheated so today I wore shorts and a tank top and faired much better on my 6 miler!

So many things I really admire about running barefoot even though I'm not brave enough to try it and I love, love, love your pictures... but I have to ask, aren't you afraid to step on a nail or some glass or even a rock? I watch where I'm going but even still, I've missed some things here and there...
  • RunsWithBees
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    v9sc4bpyew05.jpeg

So many things I really admire about running barefoot even though I'm not brave enough to try it and I love, love, love your pictures... but I have to ask, aren't you afraid to step on a nail or some glass or even a rock? I watch where I'm going but even still, I've missed some things here and there...

In the 7+ years and thousands of miles of running barefoot you’d think I’d have racked up a bunch of injuries but I just simply haven’t. I attribute this to being very conscious about foot placement and good form. I scan the ground 6-10 feet ahead of me and plan where I will step next. With correct form my feet actually touch the ground quite gently and even if I do step on a rock it might poke me and I’ll feel it for a few seconds but any discomfort passes quickly and I rarely if ever need to break my stride for it, never had a rock tear through my soles yet, I take super good care of my feet and soft supple soles are key in bouncing back against obstacles. Smaller rocks don’t even faze me anymore, my feet are used to it and just automatically adjust and keep going. Also, I choose paths that are barefoot friendly, less likely to have glass strewn about and without sharp gravel. I do wear thin sandals to run in places I can’t go barefoot or if the ground is too hot/cold. I never intended to become a barefoot runner but it’s taught me that I’m much tougher than I ever knew I could be and that alone has been worth it all :)
  • dewd2
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Runner here and I started a little later too, mid thirties! Running is my addiction. Feel free to add me!

Adding: I ran my first Marathon this year, Austin Marathon in February, and I was training for 2021 until it was cancelled/date changed and downgraded to Half. I deferred it and now I'm looking forward to Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon 2021!

Don't forget about tejas trails they're still doing races too !

I'll be running Bandera 100k on Jan 9th. I think there's still a few spots open :D

One day I'll run it, that's a dream of mine...

I LOVED Bandera. I loved it so much I will do it again next year. You really should try it. What an amazing area of the country. Great people and a amazing trail.
  • RunsWithBees
    Fun 3 mile night run! Super sweaty tho... it’s still way too warm for January!
    28uof7xsr06b.jpeg