JUST FOR TODAY -- Daily Commitment Thread for 2021

1199200201202203205»

Replies

  • littleblackskirt
    littleblackskirt Posts: 763 Member
    I'm ready to start again in 2021.

    Age 59
    Height 5'5"
    2021 SW 168lbs
    GW 147lbs (will then reassess)

    I am a typical yo-yo dieter. I've lost weight several times, but have never mastered maintaining my efforts. I lose focus and forget that maintaining takes effort too! I intend this time to be the last time. I retired from my proper job a couple of years ago, it was fairly physical job with a lot of walking and lifting, so I need to replace that exercise. It's never easy to exercise with my back issues, but I walk when I can.

    This year
    I will lose 21lbs
    I will walk every day I can
    I will do osteopath recommended core exercises
    I will log on MFP
    I will smile and appreciate each day (sounds silly but I believe people who live alone don't smile and laugh as much, as they don't have as many interactions with other people).

    Word for 2021 Strength
    I have chosen Strength because as I'm getting older I'm becoming more interested in maintaining muscle strength, I do not want to become frail in old age. Also, I'm attempting strengthening exercises to help my back pain. Finally, it takes strength to keep going logging month after month!

    I logged today, first time in a while. Scotland goes back into lockdown tonight. I managed to lose weight in the lockdown last year, I can do it again!

    One day at a time, lose 21lbs in 2021.

    This was my first post of the year on 4th January, interesting to look back.

    I am exactly the same weight now, so losing 21lbs was a big fail! However, fate threw us a few family curve balls which distracted me a lot, so I'm not too upset. It seems I've mastered maintaining at least lol.

    I probably walked about half the time, and am still doing core exercises. I should do more arm exercises.
    Strength will be my focus in 2022.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 3,965 Member
    edited December 2021
    :o
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Name: Joan
    5'11"
    69 yrs old

    SW: 195
    1st goal: 185
    2nd goal: 180
    Ultimate goal: 170-175

    Word for the year 2021: Consistency

    My weight history:

    SW Year 2017: 217
    SW Year 2018: 195.5
    SW Year 2019 : 206 -- met my goal weight of 178
    SW Year 2020: 182.6 -- gained 15 pounds through the pandemic :s
    SW Year 2021:195

    Goals for 2021:
    These are the healthy habits I would like to do in 2021:
    1. Lose 25 pounds to get to my ultimate goal of 170, and then learn how to maintain it.
    2. To be better with planning my meals each week
    3. to get up in the morning, and have a rough idea of what I plan to eat the rest of the day.
    4. To stop mindless eating. To learn how to eat to live, not live to eat.
    5. To make drinking water a regular habit.. and drink 8+ glasses of water a day
    6. To curb and stop nitetime snacking for good

    RECAP of my goals for last year
    SW: 195
    1st goal: 185
    2nd goal: 180
    Ultimate goal: 170-175
    Word for the year 2021: Consistency :) Proud of never giving up ... even though I may have missed a few months in posting.

    Weight ending 2021 is 192 .. well, ha.. at least I am down 3 pounds from last year. This year has been a rollercoast with my weight... ranging anywhere from 184 t0 195. I knew I would be high .. I've been eating terribly since Thanksgiving!
    SW Year 2017: 217
    SW Year 2018: 195.5
    SW Year 2019 : 206 -- met my goal weight of 178
    SW Year 2020: 182.6 -- gained 15 pounds through the pandemic :s
    SW Year 2021:195

    Recap of Goals for 2021:
    These are the healthy habits I would like to do in 2021:
    1. Lose 25 pounds to get to my ultimate goal of 170, and then learn how to maintain it. :o No ... but I have done pretty good all year, keeping my weight between 182-188. Just the past month, like every year, I go crazy with food.
    2. To be better with planning my meals each week :) This is something I have been much better at (ha.. its the evening that I mess up)
    3. to get up in the morning, and have a rough idea of what I plan to eat the rest of the day. :) I am going to say from January until about September I was good at this
    4. To stop mindless eating. To learn how to eat to live, not live to eat.:o
    5. To make drinking water a regular habit.. and drink 8+ glasses of water a day :o
    6. To curb and stop nitetime snacking for good.:o

    The last 3 are things I really need to work harder at!

    But what I have been consistently getting better at is my exercise. 5 out of 7 days last year I walked more than 5 miles ... many days 7-8 miles. Something I never thought I could do. I plan our meals much better.. and try and plan them around healthy items.
    My biggest obstacle is nitetime snacking and not drinking enough water during the day.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 3,965 Member
    edited December 2021
    Here is the new link for 2022 ... since many of you are already into the new year!!

    If you have trouble finding it .. please let me know. I could not figure out how to make the title bold as many are.

    I hope you all come and join us again for the new year -- 2022!

    To bookmark and find again ... I believe you just click on the little notecard at the top of the page. I believe you can also find it by going to "my discussions" once you start posting, or " my bookmarks"
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10852228/just-for-today-one-day-at-a-time-daily-commitment-thread-for-2022#latest
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 196 Member
    Oh gosh I feel like I missed days on here! Time flies!

    @PackerFanInGB I like your goal lists especially the sewing part! I want to keep my sewing out as long as possible but have to start packing! Crafting not wasting time is one of my major goals. I think though when we move it won't be so hard to stay busy! We are moving state. We are currently in an apartment in the Inland Northwest. We're in a locked down state and many are losing their jobs. Crime here is pretty bad. Weather: It is so cold right now there is ice on the inside of our doors and windows, and we keep faucets running all day and night to keep the pipes from freezing. But that's normal. The snow is pretty right now though. We'll be moving south to Arizona. It was the only door God opened, so here we go! (more of a firm hand sort of leading than I'm used to but that's it!) It will be raw land and we're making a ton of choices so that we can just make it there at all. We've been wanting to homestead for a long time and had actually given up on it being possible. I really hope we do make it.

    @mytime6630 ouch! Take care of yourself! No sleep doesn't help with recovery either.

    @Snowflake1968 Take care of yourself.

    Not sleeping really throws me off. Between DH's neck pain and now this cold he has (and loud neighbors), it's hard to get sleep for either of us. I wish I could do more to ease his pain. Hopefully he'll get over this cold. I'm insisting on lots of fruit and veggies. I caught it too but not as badly. I ended up overeating the past few days....really shouldn't though. I have come up with some good habits to make use of my time in bed while waiting for quiet to come - crochet, knitting, cross stitch, reading, and journaling!

    @ZizzyBumble hello!!! We're moving too so I'm sure I'll be disappearing some time next year.

    @PackerFanInGB @mytime6630 Congratulations both on your anniversaries! wooo! (the date/memory of meeting your special someone is worth celebrating too) : )

    @Bex953172 Sounds like a good year!

    weight.png

    I'm starting to really lose weight, so happy. Learning about portions, food choices, exercise, and some intermittent fasting (shorter eating window so my body finally uses its reserves) is helping a lot. I hope to feel a "new person" when I get to the new place. I also want to be able to be a big help to my husband.

    Everybody is doing nice resolutions and goals.
    I guess mine are huge and vague: get healthier, and make it in our new place. It's similar to the oregon trail for us I guess - just make it. I'll have a blog and ytube but don't think that's something that's shared on mfp.

    Happy new year!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 3,965 Member
    MrsHermit wrote: »


    I guess mine are huge and vague: get healthier, and make it in our new place. It's similar to the oregon trail for us I guess - just make it. I'll have a blog and ytube but don't think that's something that's shared on mfp.

    Happy new year!

    I would love to know about your youtube or blog site! You are such an asset to this site .. so inspirational!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,078 Member
    edited January 1
    @ZizzyBumble and @bookmeister86 - it’s nice to see you back. I think a few of us dropped the routine of JFT this past year. I’m ready to make a new commitment for 2022.

    @PackerFanInGB - I’m going to see if I can find that Zenscapes. Happy Anniversary!

    I think I need to set out some specific goals for this year. One for sure is I want to write a book for my girls for Christmas next year. I need to get onto that.
    Health wise, I want to be walking 5K again by summer. I’m tired of pain.
    I also want to go home to NB, but good old Covid will dictate that.

    @cschmitz110515 - I too struggled with getting on here when not on my work computer. I need to make sure I get this goal set on my phone and do it every single night. I know morning won’t work, I hate mornings and don’t like sitting before work.

    @more_freggies76 - I enjoy your hour commitments too. Please don’t stop.

    @mytime6630 - Happy Anniversary to you as well. I agree with you that this thread keeps me accountable too. I am making a full on commitment this year.

    @Bex953172 - I’m so glad you have made some friends. I truly believe that women especially need friends to communicate with. Especially one that you can trust to say anything to.

    @littleblackskirt - I need to win the lottery and come rent your holiday let. I have eaten too much junk over Christmas as well. We’ll get back to it!

    @MrsHermit - you are braver than I. I would not do well homesteading at all. I sort of grew up that way so have no interest in it. Please let us know how we can follow you, will you have data available to keep posting?

    I’ll go to the new thread later and post for the Jan 1st goals.


  • more_freggies76
    more_freggies76 Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hour commitment - had dinner and shared mango ice cream. Now I won’t eat again until next year!!

    Thanks everyone and Happy New Year to those who have already entered 2022!!
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 849 Member
    Happy New Year! Here's to a healthy, happy year ahead!

    I haven't been on much over the last few weeks, but I'm looking forward to joining you all on the 2022 thread. I already have some of my 2022 intentions in mind, and I'll take some time over the next week to reflect and pin down my goals.

    @mytime6630 - Thank you for setting up the new thread <3
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 196 Member
    edited January 3
    Happy new year! Catching up again. I rested on Shabbat, quite a feat while we're doing moving prep (my mind just wouldn't quiet down). Husband still has something (cold like) so plans were changed today, trying to get him well again. I have something too but not as bad. Still need to pack!

    @mytime6630 Thank you for the new thread! Thank you also for your kind comments (few days ago). I hope to be helpful but don't think my clumsy attempts at goals help much--thanks for the encouragement. : ) Feel better soon!

    @mytime6630 @Snowflake1968 I will post a link below to our blogs, but am planning on trying to log in and do at least this thread if I can. We won't be leaving until end of March. There may be times when we don't have data, but are planning on going into town every while to use wifi. The beginning of moving there will be too much to set-up first anyways. : )

    @Snowflake1968 I think having goals and being consistent is important. I can certainly relate to an injury throwing off ...everything. But you kept going. I hope we both get to go walking by this summer. I miss walking too. You can do it!
    It has been our dream to homestead. We had been preparing and researching for a long time, even changing some of our lifestyle to be more independent though we're in an apartment. Lately we had about given up on homesteading being possible. Some things have happened recently and this is the only open door, so we're taking a leap of faith. Kind of exciting! I think life is more about relationships and making memories. There will be hardships certainly, but we're living life together. "Don't miss it!", we like to say to each other.


    @ZizzyBumble Hi! Hopeful is a good word!

    @Faebert Hi! The important thing is that you got back up again - persistence - to make your health a priority, and perhaps learned a little something that was helping you in the past (doing something health related consistently, like a daily list or logging, just five minutes).

    @clicketykeys oh I wish I could have a long list like you! Right now it feels like anything on my list will be interrupted, just keep working at it. If your long list is predictable in its routine, maybe pick one of your "want to do" and break it down into a little 5 minute thing you can add to your routine, if that makes sense. I find that if I'm not specific, it won't get done, because I have trouble prioritizing my own wants and habits. Recently I've been adding useful activities in bed while I help DH get to sleep, and it's been nice (get to journal, read, crochet..) Happy new year!

    @Bex953172 Sometimes I feel like I look at a cookie and gain weight. Honestly (because this is a friendly group), I really would like to be the same weight leaving this apartment at the end of March that I was getting here several years ago. Yikes, but still. One day at a time. Also, my scale one day said that I gained like 8 lbs in two days, but that was after a heater accident, so I think it just wasn't working right. Always trust the instinct "something smells like it's burning"
    Your word is a good one - determination! I like your mini exercises - neat idea! I think I'll try that this year.
    ((((hugs))) I just read about your struggles with your kids. I have to agree with you about the party (no rewarding bad behavior). Hope you don't mind, but: may God give you wisdom on the underlying problem and how to help both them AND you! I'm sorry it's so tough right now.

    @pridesabtch ((hugs))) That reminds me of my tendency to just set my habits and planner aside (things that work for me) when there are interruptions or changes. I am going to make a goal to stick to what works even when there are challenges, because I know that when I put that list (and good habits) aside I feel adrift and am not as effective or happy during my day. I just have to make a few tweaks, that's all. Thank you for the reminder. We can do this!

    @MA_B Welcome! I only joined MFP in October 2021. This is a really nice group!

    @Outdoorsy_Canadian Welcome! I'm sorry last year was so tough for you. I can relate. I hope this year will be much better for everybody. One day at a time. Thankful you had an easy maintenance issue. Easy check marks on the list are a relief!

    @cschmitz110515 Hello again! 2022 already, wow. Tenacity - nice word. I'm working on my goals today. I figured I need to make some commitments to myself during this year to help stay steady, on track, and less stressed. I think I've seen that app mapmywalk I've been using Fitzee when I used to go walking. It's nice to see how far you went.

    @PackerFanInGB Nice goal list for the year - looks like good variety. Making me think about my own goals.

    @beachwalker99 I'm thinking over my goals while I catch up on MFP, tend a sick DH, and start packing (the living room is a mess). Nice list!

    @mytime6630 That is a really nice quote/photo! Thank you for sharing!


    Okay, goal for the last few hours of the day (though DH keep staying up past midnight (why!!!))
    JFT Sunday:
    Catch up with MFP
    Pick realistic goals to stay steady this year, having something "normal" even in new surroundings
    Finish the wall section of the living room, move couch, begin packing boxes and rearranging things
    sew for 15 minutes
    dishes done before bed
    bedtime while helping DH sleep: read, pray, journal, crochet



    My little blog https://ideasfromthemaster.wixsite.com/hermits-reflections
    My Ytube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk5stFeNdUCRovIzBQTesw/about
    My Rumble https://rumble.com/c/c-896603
    Husband's Ytube (will have more building-oriented stuff when we're able to post) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbv8NirXk6Xf8pxm72xXOTw/about
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 3,965 Member
    MrsHermit wrote: »
    Happy new year! Catching up again. I rested on Shabbat, quite a feat while we're doing moving prep (my mind just wouldn't quiet down). Husband still has something (cold like) so plans were changed today, trying to get him well again. I have something too but not as bad. Still need to pack!

    @mytime6630 Thank you for the new thread! Thank you also for your kind comments (few days ago). I hope to be helpful but don't think my clumsy attempts at goals help much--thanks for the encouragement. : ) Feel better soon!

    @mytime6630 @Snowflake1968 I will post a link below to our blogs, but am planning on trying to log in and do at least this thread if I can. We won't be leaving until end of March. There may be times when we don't have data, but are planning on going into town every while to use wifi. The beginning of moving there will be too much to set-up first anyways. : )

    @Snowflake1968 I think having goals and being consistent is important. I can certainly relate to an injury throwing off ...everything. But you kept going. I hope we both get to go walking by this summer. I miss walking too. You can do it!
    It has been our dream to homestead. We had been preparing and researching for a long time, even changing some of our lifestyle to be more independent though we're in an apartment. Lately we had about given up on homesteading being possible. Some things have happened recently and this is the only open door, so we're taking a leap of faith. Kind of exciting! I think life is more about relationships and making memories. There will be hardships certainly, but we're living life together. "Don't miss it!", we like to say to each other.


    @ZizzyBumble Hi! Hopeful is a good word!

    @Faebert Hi! The important thing is that you got back up again - persistence - to make your health a priority, and perhaps learned a little something that was helping you in the past (doing something health related consistently, like a daily list or logging, just five minutes).

    @clicketykeys oh I wish I could have a long list like you! Right now it feels like anything on my list will be interrupted, just keep working at it. If your long list is predictable in its routine, maybe pick one of your "want to do" and break it down into a little 5 minute thing you can add to your routine, if that makes sense. I find that if I'm not specific, it won't get done, because I have trouble prioritizing my own wants and habits. Recently I've been adding useful activities in bed while I help DH get to sleep, and it's been nice (get to journal, read, crochet..) Happy new year!

    @Bex953172 Sometimes I feel like I look at a cookie and gain weight. Honestly (because this is a friendly group), I really would like to be the same weight leaving this apartment at the end of March that I was getting here several years ago. Yikes, but still. One day at a time. Also, my scale one day said that I gained like 8 lbs in two days, but that was after a heater accident, so I think it just wasn't working right. Always trust the instinct "something smells like it's burning"
    Your word is a good one - determination! I like your mini exercises - neat idea! I think I'll try that this year.
    ((((hugs))) I just read about your struggles with your kids. I have to agree with you about the party (no rewarding bad behavior). Hope you don't mind, but: may God give you wisdom on the underlying problem and how to help both them AND you! I'm sorry it's so tough right now.

    @pridesabtch ((hugs))) That reminds me of my tendency to just set my habits and planner aside (things that work for me) when there are interruptions or changes. I am going to make a goal to stick to what works even when there are challenges, because I know that when I put that list (and good habits) aside I feel adrift and am not as effective or happy during my day. I just have to make a few tweaks, that's all. Thank you for the reminder. We can do this!

    @MA_B Welcome! I only joined MFP in October 2021. This is a really nice group!

    @Outdoorsy_Canadian Welcome! I'm sorry last year was so tough for you. I can relate. I hope this year will be much better for everybody. One day at a time. Thankful you had an easy maintenance issue. Easy check marks on the list are a relief!

    @cschmitz110515 Hello again! 2022 already, wow. Tenacity - nice word. I'm working on my goals today. I figured I need to make some commitments to myself during this year to help stay steady, on track, and less stressed. I think I've seen that app mapmywalk I've been using Fitzee when I used to go walking. It's nice to see how far you went.

    @PackerFanInGB Nice goal list for the year - looks like good variety. Making me think about my own goals.

    @beachwalker99 I'm thinking over my goals while I catch up on MFP, tend a sick DH, and start packing (the living room is a mess). Nice list!

    @mytime6630 That is a really nice quote/photo! Thank you for sharing!


    Okay, goal for the last few hours of the day (though DH keep staying up past midnight (why!!!))
    JFT Sunday:
    Catch up with MFP
    Pick realistic goals to stay steady this year, having something "normal" even in new surroundings
    Finish the wall section of the living room, move couch, begin packing boxes and rearranging things
    sew for 15 minutes
    dishes done before bed
    bedtime while helping DH sleep: read, pray, journal, crochet



    My little blog https://ideasfromthemaster.wixsite.com/hermits-reflections
    My Ytube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk5stFeNdUCRovIzBQTesw/about
    My Rumble https://rumble.com/c/c-896603
    Husband's Ytube (will have more building-oriented stuff when we're able to post) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbv8NirXk6Xf8pxm72xXOTw/about

    Be sure and repost this on the 2022 thread!!
  • MrsHermit
    MrsHermit Posts: 196 Member
    @mytime6630 Thank you! I mixed up the tabs I was writing in!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 15,344 Member
    edited January 3
    Finally getting round to reviewing and updating from last January.
    [b[color]Comments in red[/b][/color]

    ❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️
    ❄️⛄️JANUARY 2021 ⛄️❄️
    ❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️

    January 2021
    🔹Word - Balance
    🔹I am in tune with my dreams
    🔹I know what is right for me
    🔹I will pursue my dreams and greatest passion
    January 2021
    Life Affirmations

    🔹I live in congruence with my authentic self
    🔹I am mindful
    🔹I am creative every day
    🔹I foster positivity
    🔹I am compassionate
    I am keeping these unchanged this year. New WOTY: CONSOLIDATE
    Keep your chin up!
    Turning up is the ultimate success!
    Personal Stats:
    • Name: Terri
    • Age: 75
    • Height: 5'2"
    • [/color]SW: 227 (Mar 2014)
    • Joined MFP: Jan 2015
    • 1st Goal: 190 Sept 2015
    • UGW: 145
    • 01 Aug 2019: 170.1
    • 31 Dec 2019: 151.2
    • 31 Dec 2020: 145.6
    • Total weight loss: 81.4 lbs
    • (30 Dec 2021: 138.6 - Total Loss: 87 lbs

    January Daily Goals: Week 1
    I have rebranded these as Habits.
    My weight ceiling has reduced to 145 as I lost while on maintenance. An unexpected bonus.
    Muscle %age has further increased; Fat %age has decreased.
    I have added a few extra habits.

    Fri: ✅ Sat: ✅ Sun: ✅ Mon:
    Tue: Wed: Thu:
    1. Weight < 150: ✅3/7 (I weigh each morning after ablutions)
    2. Reduce Fat%: ✅ 29.3; 27.1; 25.1; 24.5; 24.2[/s] 23.4
    3. Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7->30.1; 30.6; 30.7: 30.9: 31.1
    4. Calories in the green ✅3/7
    5. Steps > 7500 ✅ 3/7
    6. Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily✅3/7
    7. Active hours > 6 daily ✅3/7
    Positive intentions for tomorrow :
    • Meditation
    • Daily Yoga/tai chi practice
    • Outdoor walk
    • Work on sorting Hobbies room.
    • Daily Chores
    • Puzzles: Watch TV: Finish Ch 1'Travels with Charlie, John Steinbeck


    2021 was a very good year for me. Life settled into a new routine (normal) I continue to take my own council re Covid. Just because the government says you can do something does NOT mean that you should. I am grateful that No,longer need to go out and earn a living. Being retired has been a bonus, as I am at liberty to choose to do what I think is prudent.

    Terri 🦄

  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,239 Member
    edited January 3
    @TerriRichardson112 @MrsHermit Please join us on the new JFT thread. See below for the link.
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Here is the new link for 2022 ... since many of you are already into the new year!!

    If you have trouble finding it .. please let me know. I could not figure out how to make the title bold as many are.

    I hope you all come and join us again for the new year -- 2022!

    To bookmark and find again ... I believe you just click on the little notecard at the top of the page. I believe you can also find it by going to "my discussions" once you start posting, or " my bookmarks"
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10852228/just-for-today-one-day-at-a-time-daily-commitment-thread-for-2022#latest

  • Janele0627
    Janele0627 Posts: 231 Member
    I hope everyone had lovely holidays and new years.
    I ended up getting Covid a few days before Christmas, so I fell off the wagon while recovering...

    I'm back, ready for a fresh start
  • Janele0627
    Janele0627 Posts: 231 Member
    JFT 01/04
    - Log everything
    - 64 oz of water
    - 15 min of cardio
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,239 Member
    @Janele0627 Please join JFT on the new thread for 2022. See the link below. See you there!
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    Here is the new link for 2022 ... since many of you are already into the new year!!

    If you have trouble finding it .. please let me know. I could not figure out how to make the title bold as many are.

    I hope you all come and join us again for the new year -- 2022!

    To bookmark and find again ... I believe you just click on the little notecard at the top of the page. I believe you can also find it by going to "my discussions" once you start posting, or " my bookmarks"
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10852228/just-for-today-one-day-at-a-time-daily-commitment-thread-for-2022#latest


  • more_freggies76
    more_freggies76 Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hour commitment - After I finish my tamale, I won't eat again until dinner with my friend and DH. Can still have my metamusal.