WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I love being an absolute beginner at something. GENERAL QUESTION to everyone - what would you like to learn from scratch?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/07/the-joys-of-being-an-absolute-beginner-for-life

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    These Joseph's Machines videos posted on YouTube make me laugh hysterically:

First he asks for the salt

then he wants some pepper

We're home now. It was a really rough landing in total darkness, strong winds and a blizzard. I'm glad we made it safely.

/Penny, relieved to be on terra firma at the
    t07190.gif

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka: Your graduation photo is a triumph! CONGRATULATIONS! :star::heart: :star:

Allie: I hope you’re able to go home sooner, rather than later. Sending many good wishes to you. :flowerforyou:

Yesterday I went to the eye doctor and had an exam. She wrote a prescription for new lenses and I'll get them once they've been manufactured. I don't know how long that will be.

I thought earlier that my wrist was doing well, but it aches a bit more than I expected today. I really need to have a surgeon evaluate the damage and say whether or not I need surgery. I’m in the process of setting up an appointment with the same doctor who performed my colonoscopy last summer.

I could happily get by with a life that has no unpleasant bumps in the road, but I don’t think that is actually an option for me or most people. :ohwell:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    LAUGHTER

I had an old bf (who remained a friend) who said, after we were no longer together, that, in picking a partner, you don't get the whole list, you can just pick 3 things you want in a partner, and they need to make you laugh, so then you get 2 more. I don't know that I necessarily agree of it being top 3 absolutes, but some kind of laughter is so welcome...and right up there.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Ttt
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    eating under limit seemed relatively easy last week and not at all easy this week-, have started classes up again.

spent long hours actually pouring over numbers for insurance figures.

it does look like the more expensive one is the best for this year.

here, for health insurance, if you are above poverty level you generally have to make a monthly contribution to have 100% coverage (for some doctors), but crowns are barely covered!

if I take the option that seems to be 30 euros more per month, (instead of 60 per month) I can make it back, so to speak in reimbursements, especially with crown and especially with implant (not totally covered but somewhat covered), plus it seems to have much better coverage in case of certain emergencies....

it took a while to weed through all. not sure I got all, but I get the gist of it.

it seems to be a good deal for people with low income as it charges a % of one's salary which is very rare for this private complimentary coverage as far as I know.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I love being an absolute beginner at something. GENERAL QUESTION to everyone - what would you like to learn from scratch?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/07/the-joys-of-being-an-absolute-beginner-for-life

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

SCUBA. I have snorkeled, but I don't know that it is a transferrable skill.

Flea
    Still hanging out in the dark, rainy north western environs of the continental US.
  • judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    "Getting to know each other question ...

What makes you laugh?

Machka in Oz"

@Machka:
    If you haven't seen "Derry Girls", give it a try- I found it hilarious after getting used to the very thick accent (there's always subtitles too:-)
    I don't usually laugh out loud, but they truly reminded me of my own absurd high school foolishness.
    And if you've seen them, look for them on The Great British Baking Holiday Show- I laughed till I cried with that one.

Jude from NJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a beginner at throwing pots. :D
    Before the lockdown, DH and I had talked about pottery lessons at a school/shop in Hove. Never got around to it, but I think it would be a nice present to each other.
    I adore ceramics of all kinds and my father was a very good amateur potter. I still have a few of his pots.
    So, I would be an ABSOLUTE BEGINNER at throwing pots, but I would love to give it a go. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,531 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 27min 7sec, 3.57ap, 91ahr, 121mhr, 8.79mi= 821c
    Strava app = 1065c
    Zwift bike trainer- 22.10min, 130ahr, 159mhr, 21.8amph, 105elev, 8.04mi= 214c
    Strava app = 213c

Total cal 1035
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The next door neighbor has workmen remodeling her master bathroom. She is traveling. I hope her trip is positive and she is pleased with the interior changes when she gets back.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,692 Member
    Options
    Pip- any word on newer appt.. hope you find what you ,Kirby and Floyd need...xoxo
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Machka-arthritis in the hip is no fun. Once it goes bone on bone there is no relief. I let my left hip go too long before replacement. Got the right one done sooner—titanium hips and no pain!

Allie-sorry to hear you are in hospital. Glad you are covid negative, but pneumonia is no fun. I think it’s a good idea for them to have someone drop in to check on you for awhile.

Flea-good news on your mom. So glad you were there to hear everything.

Kylia-sorry to hear about your pup and your daughter.

Laughter-my grandkids will typically make me laugh. 3 year old grandson is at the really silly stage and comes up with the darnedest things.

Learn from scratch-doubt it will ever happen, but I have always wanted to learn to read classical Greek (so I can read some of my favorites in the original).

Tired tonight-stayed up way to late last night watching tv. Will work on not getting caught up in all of it tonight. Will find something mindless to watch.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Getting to know each other question ...

What makes you laugh?

Machka in Oz

My husband has commented several times that I don't laugh. He laughs easily, especially since his accident, but I don't much, and truth be told, the sound of laughter can bother/upset me at times. I'm not entirely sure why but I feel fear when I hear groups of people laughing.
    https://theconversation.com/the-science-of-laughter-and-why-it-also-has-a-dark-side-76463

That said, I do laugh occasionally.

What makes me laugh?

Rhody, our little black cat. We got him in March 2020, just before the shutdown and he had me laughing all the way through 2020.

The occasional meme on FB will suddenly strike me funny. I've actually laughed, very briefly, on the bus in public!

The first time I read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I remember sitting in a park and laughing as I read.

Bill Bryson has had me laughing in airports - that's usually when I read his books.

And I'll laugh more when I'm completely exhausted. I recall a long, multipage thread in the Fitness subforum here back in about 2015 which had me weeping with laughter. It was about 3 am, I had been working late on a uni assignment that night and several nights before, getting about 4-5 hours of sleep and for some reason that thread just set me off.

A site full of "baking fails" also set me off one exhausted evenings.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Among the things I want to do to make life more organised this year, I've also got a list of recreational activities which I'll either get to later or incorporate into each month. Among them are some things I've either never done or might have done once maybe 40 years ago or something.

These include:
    - taking voice lessons
    - working with glass - glass blowing, stained glass, etc.
    - calligraphy
    - beekeeping
    - cake decorating
    - archery
    - fencing
    - dancing
    - horseback riding

And to start it all off, my husband and I are signed up for a beekeeping course in February!

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked today. Soup kitchen tomorrow. In the morning I’ll probably do a body pump video. That is, IF it doesn't snow. Snow is no problem for me, but I swear people around here don't know how to drive in it. If there is any snow on the ground, I'll just do a strength DVD at home.

Katla – that’s wonderful that you can use your current frames!

After work went to Publix for a few things I can’t get at any other store. Then stopped at the UPS store to return a package, then the vitamin store to see about a protein powder. I had been using Tone It Up’s but they reformulated it and now it contains stevia leaf extract. I have a strong feeling I won’t like it. Anyway, the vitamin store had this Spirutein but only in something like 2 lb container. The Tone It Up that I had came in a 1lb container and it usually lasted me quite a while. Amazon sells it in 1 lb container so since I have some of the Tone It Up, I will just wait until I really need it and get it from Amazon Update: Not the vanilla or even chocolate

Got a jigsaw puzzle in the mail today. At first I was going to do it for Ken but it’s only 500 pieces so then I decided I’d return it and do the 1,000 piecer for him. Well, the 500 piece one came in the mail today – in 4 pieces. Vince thinks Ken will like it so we will probably keep it and give him one for his birthday and one for Christmas.

Bananas – I like your background. Never thought of it, but you’re right. It’s nice to look at something with a good background

This morning it was 25degrees and there was no way on this green earth I was going to do my job in that cold! I did go outside later in the day when it warmed up. I was told that the cleaner (me) and the host (person who gives out the mask) are now going to be the same person. That I don’t have a problem with but the lady said that I don’t have to ask if I should redisinfect the cart. To me, there are some people who are REALLY freaked out and would like to see it being cleaned. Actually, there are some people who want to have parts of the cart cleaned that I normally wouldn’t do. Then there are others who say “I believe you”. So I think what I’ll say is “that cart was cleaned but if you’d like I’ll do it again”. As a customer, that’s what I’d want.

Vince went to the MD about his a-fib. The md said that many times a-fib is related to sleep apnea so Vince is going to go for a sleep test. It’s not that he thinks he has it, the md just wants to rule it out. He said that some people have a very mild case of it. The bad thing is that he said that it’ll get worse as Vince gets older and Vince may have to go on medication. But none for now

Allie – glad you tested negative

Penny – good to hear you are safe

Learn from scratch – stained glass windows

Michele NC