February 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great day @katharmonic , except for the cold temps. That's a lot of snow. How did your snow shoes work? Are your friends all jealous?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    As predicted, today’s event was hot, humid, and hilly. I had heavy legs which made the first seven kilometres hard going. I must talk to my coach about having a bigger taper!

Anyway, cracker day out. Fabulous to be running in the country on closed roads. Pleased with my performance given the conditions - I managed 1:53 - however it was never going to be a PB event.

My bling:
    bf6xaj5rabcl.jpeg

Yay congratulations!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @ContraryMaryMary ! Sounds like enjoyed it! That's the most important thing. I think the time is awesome too.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    February Goal: Hike/Run the "C's" *

2/1 off
    2/2 3.50 Cote D'Ivoire and Cape Verde Islands
    2/3 off
    2/4 3.35 Cambodia
    2/5 Life
    2/6 3.55 Cameroon
    2/7 4.30 Canada
    2/8 off
    2/9 2.10 (no "travel")
    2/10 3.35 Chad
    2/11 snorkel 2.5 hours
    2/12 3.10 Central African Republic
    2/13 3.60 Chile

Total 26.85

exercise.png

*So, my 2021 resolution is to hike/run all 193 (or 195 depending on your source) countries of the world this year. This could be difficult, since I don’t have a passport. But YouTube to the rescue! I have been using the site to take train “trips” recently, and have found them strangely motivating. Why not use Youtube vlogs to hike/run the world (and learn something about each country)?

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,531 Member
    Options
    That was amazing pace @ContraryMaryMary in 20 degrees with nearly 1,000 ft of climbing - very impressive!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    2/1 – Exercise Bike (5 miles) + weights
    2/2 – Exercise Bike (11 miles) + Kickboxing
    2/3 – 5.07 miles
    2/4 – 5.19 miles
    2/6 – 8.72 miles
    2/8 – 5.18 miles
    2/9 – Exercise Bike (5.5 miles) + weights
    2/10 – 5.26 miles
    2/11 – 5.2 miles
    2/13 – 5.08 miles

I’m so far behind on commenting here. Work has been crazy. I’ve stopped even turning my computer off when I leave the office to drive home because as soon as I walk in the door I have to log back on and work more hours. Anywho, I’ve been trying to run early while everyone else is sleeping. I only had time for 5 miles yesterday (in the dark and the rain and by myself) instead of a usual Saturday 10-13 mile group run. Alright, enough pity party!

@quilteryoyo – I don’t pay any attention to the time. Strictly go by mileage but I do like stopping close to a mile mark. Screw Garmin! Sounds like you had a great workout to me!

@ContraryMaryMary – What a beautiful house site! Congratulations on the half! I think 1:53 is super fantastic!

@katharmonic – I’m glad you’re feeling better. It’s crazy how both the virus and the vaccine effect people in different ways. Beautiful pictures but please keep that snow up there!

Congrats on the new job @eleanorhawkins!

Way to go @kgirlhart for getting out of your comfort zone (and house) in those conditions! I think 12F is the coldest that I have ran in and I just don’t know how those of you in Canada, Minnesota, New York, and Wisconsin handle the sub-zero conditions on a regular basis.

Upcoming Races/Challenges:
    CRAW (Circumpolar Race Around the World) – in progress
    Run the World Challenge – in progress
    Desert Storm 218 Miler Challenge (Jan 17 – Feb 28) – in progress
    Peyton’s Wild n Wacky 50k (March 13) - canceled
    Cooper River 10k (Sept 25)
    Marine Corps Marathon (Oct 31) – virtual again???? – deferring to 2022
    Cade’s Cove Loop Lope (Nov 14)

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    On the subject of cold-weather running, Sunday’s 8k at Stanky Creek for the Winter off-road series was postponed until next Sunday because of the risk of fallen branches due to ice, and forecast extreme cold. Which surprises me because in years past this series has advertised that races will be run in any weather and that’s why it’s called a “Winter” series. But it’s probably for the best since windchill temps are supposed to be subzero and there’s a real risk Memphians who never run in anything similar might just die. Not to mention, if it snows, which it is forecast to start later in the day, the trails which are not visible except because the leaves there are slightly more packed than elsewhere, will become invisible.

Since I was wondering what I was going to do about duplicating the race conditions if I had to run it in the snow on Monday following the race, this nicely solves my conundrum. The new date is supposed to be 51 degrees and so is the day after.

For a live event, I'd be mad if they postponed for this after advertising that they run in all weather. But for virtual, by all means wait and run it in the same conditions as everyone else :)

Congratulations @marisap2010 and @ContraryMaryMary !!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    Great job on your half @ContraryMaryMary! That's a great time.

That's great news @rheddmobile. 51°sounds just about perfect to me.

Congratulations on your PB at your race! I am glad you were able to slip the mask off when you were alone. I have run with a buff over my face some for warmth, but no matter how cold it is I usually have to take it off after about a mile and a half. Luckily I run alone and rarely see people when I run and if I do staying 6 feet away is no problem.

Part of me wants to run again today,  but I don't think I will.  It is 15°F feels like 1°F, snowing and 15 mph NNE winds. It's getting colder too. It was kind of fun to get out and run yesterday,  but I don't think I really want to go outside today.  I honestly would love to have @contrarymarymary 's 20°F. I think that's 68°F. I am certainly willing to trade.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Race Report: Fortunately, the weather was not 20 degrees and snowing as predicted a week ago. It ended up being 40 degrees and raining, which isn’t terrible.

The Museum of Aviation 5k/Half/Marathon/Handcycle Race starts at the Museum of Aviation and then goes onto Robins AFB. I was familiar with a lot of the base because my husband used to be stationed there. The course was mostly flat. Got a chance to look at all of the different planes on the flight line, and the course went past the stables, so lots of horses were out grazing.

We waited in our cars until time to start, and then they had us spread out 6ft apart in the grass and pulled us to the start in twos every 15 seconds to go. They told us two days before the race that we’d have to wear masks the entire time racing and not just at the start/finish, but they didn’t really enforce it, so I pulled it down anytime I wasn’t close to anyone. I don’t think I could have managed the whole thing with the mask.

Since it was a new course for me and I had not trained quite as diligently as I have for past races, I didn’t have any thoughts about setting a PR. I didn’t even look at my watch for the first few miles and just ran comfortably. However, when I got to mile 8, I realized my time was looking pretty good, and my mile 10, I knew that I’d probably be able to make it. I finished a little over 3 minutes faster than my prior best half time. No ceremonies with this race, so I promptly went to my car to warm up before driving home.

I’m a little sore today, but nothing out of the norm. I do have a small blister on my right foot due to the wet conditions. Oh well. I think another hot soak in the tub is in order today.

Staging area, posing in front of the museum after, medal
    0lvyr06939jh.jpeg
    zvvle42hu4mo.jpeg
    pla8hpf77wk1.jpeg

Congrats on the PR! Three + minutes is a lot to shave off!