Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

1980s definatly, and back..Why were people more fit, toned and healthy Looking?

Replies

• Speakeasy76Speakeasy76 Member Posts: 810 Member Member Posts: 810 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    I don’t agree at all Jess, people don’t even know what a healthy body looks like even now, people were tearing apart Camila Cabello for being overweight and disgusting recently when she’s almost certainly at a healthy weight (I’m underweight and only a little thinner than her). The “healthy and fit” perfect woman of the moment usually shows up in a documentary a few years later talking about their eating disorder and how miserable they were at the time 😕. Even so, it’s not political correctness gone mad to also show representation for the majority of people instead of pretending thin bodies are the only ones which exist

I am not talking about a representation, I am talking about "fit shaming". Fat shaming used to be status quo, and it was wrong. But now, it seems like people are shamed for wanting to be fit, because it makes the fat people feel bad about themselves. I have nothing against anyone, regardless of their size. That being said, I am tired of being criticized for being in shape, and wanting to stay that way. If someone loves themselves the way they are, good on them. But don't tell me that I make someone else self conscious because I work my *kitten* off to stay healthy and in shape. If they don't want a reminder of how they look, they can do something about it. Its not my job to make them feel good about themselves. And it is not society's job either. People need to take whatever steps that they need to take in order to feel good about themselves.

Disclaimer: that is my opinion, and I am fully aware that having an opinion does not necessarily make me right.

Does "fit shaming" really exist anywhere except on social media? I have never, ever experienced this, but I'm not on Facebook or any of that crap. Where are you being shamed for being fit?

The reality is that being fit is still preferred in our society. Overweight/obese people are less likely to be hired, earn less money, and are passed over for promotions.

I'm sorry, but fat shaming still IS the status quo.

We have glorification of the "dad bod" and "thick" women. This glorification is pretty much shaming the fit person.
    https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a35322745/what-is-dad-bod/

I didn't see the "glorification" in that article, subjectively speaking. Besides, saying one body type is OK (yet not holding it up as the sole pinnacle to be striven for) is not inherently shaming someone with a different body type.

I read the silly article a couple of times, looking for the glorification or the shaming, didn't really see them. (It even suggested that the dad bod guys might wanna improve fitness, lose some belly fat for better health.) YMMV - evidently does.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen anywhere, ever, though. Every dang thing gets "shamed", somewhere.

I do think the recent trend toward "thicc" bodies and big booties for women is weird, but I can't think of anything I've seen that made me feel "shamed" for having (if I may self-congratulate a bit) a fairly firm but modest-sized sporty-looking li'l ol' lady butt. The fact that my body shape, one I consider Just Fine, is not on trend? That's not shaming.

I wouldn't necessarily say the trend towards women being thick and big booties is recent, but I just think it's now more accepted in maintstream culture. I also tend to think of "thick" women as those who are more hourglass-shaped with maybe a bit of extra meat, although I guess it's all relative. I think big butts and women being "thick" have been praised for years and years in certain cultures. Remember "Baby Got Back?" That was from the early 90's. I clearly remember, because I was in high school at the time. My white friends joked that the song was about me (a white girl), but not really in a good way--and I was thin at the time! Oh, how my 15-year old self wishes big butts were more accepted by the mainstream back then, but alas, the whole "waif" look was in (which was one reason why that song was written). Then, J-Lo brought more acceptance to bigger booties in the early 2000's, and then Beyonce, and Rihanna.

When I was younger, because of both my bootie and/or the size of my lips I was asked by multiple men if I was biracial (in various ways)--yes, seriously! I don't think my butt was/is that big, but maybe for different standards or for the current time? I did feel self-conscious about it at times, especially when younger, but now am kinda proud of it--but more so because now it is strong, not just a bit on the "big" side. I think another reason why big butts are in--and this is purely just my speculation--is that hips/butt and boobs are what can make a woman appear more "feminine" or "desirable" (whatever that really means). Haven't there been references to men being either a "boob man" or a "butt man?" Well, there's not really much a woman can do to grow her boobs, besides gaining fat (which means gaining fat all over) or breast augmentation. A woman can have some control to some extent over growing her bootie and/or changing the shape with some targeted strength training, just like any other muscle.

In any case, we all know eventually big butts will probably be out....just hopefully the "waif/heroin chic" look NEVER comes back in style! Also, I'd just like to point out that I was ALWAYS appreciated a nice, bigger butt on a guy, regardless if it was ever cool :D

Keep in mind that I was an adult by the 1970s. My concept of "recent" is going to be different from yours.

I was around/aware for the zaftig women of the early 1960s (e.g., Raquel Welch, Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, etc.), the near-skeletal Twiggy and her ilk, the later heroin chic (Kate Moss), and various other supposedly aspirational body types in between and since. When thin, my shape is "sporty" (to pick a flattering term), "boyish". Even when I had breasts, they were small. Trust me, some men (or women) like that shape. I'm fine with who I am, and was even when I cared what others (such as potential partners) thought, in a way I don't, now. (That's not an age thing, it's an individual thing, BTW.)

I have no quibble with other women wanting to be thicc or have a nice big booty, or whatever (within a reasonably healthy range), though it makes me sad when young women want things that are *extremely* not their (just fine, lovely) body type, or that are based on some absurdly photoshopped influencer.

Yes, and unfortunately we have a much larger variety of media influence as when I was young, and there seems to be even more pressure to obtain a certain body type. I was a young teenager who wanted to achieve the "waif" look. I knew that Kate Moss was 5'7 and 105 pounds, and at 5'6, my goal was 100 pounds. I got about 15 pounds within reach, but I am not and never have been a naturally thin person with a small frame, and I have hips and wide shoulders. In my case, with age did come wisdom, and know my own body limitations (and strengths!), and hope I can impart some of that wisdom to women who may struggle with reaching some body ideal.
    edited June 14
  • YellowD0gsYellowD0gs Member Posts: 624 Member Member Posts: 624 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Having an afternoon snack right after school was a solid tradition. We lived near a Hostess Bakery outlet and boxes of Ho-ho's, Banana Flips, Snowballs and Zingers could be had for 50¢. We kids thought nothing of polishing off half a box in one go. Little Debbie apple cakes didn't last long either.

Of course the activity after the snack was going outside and playing not sitting on a video game eating more snacks like now.

Well, sometimes I'd have a snack and read a book or play with paper dolls or draw on the Etch-a-Sketch. Modern kids didn't invent sedentary hobbies. There probably are trends in physical activity that are relevant here, but I feel like this conversation overall is really flattening out differences and assuming an experience of 1980s life that is not necessarily accurate.

[ in the middle of BFE Nebraska.

Ha.

I've been there....

and I have never felt more alone in my life.

s8MP3QN32HsEepgNnHJ6U9Bp.jpeg

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

This is why I chuckle a bit to myself when city people who aren't familiar with agriculture start commenting on how crops and farm animals should be raised.

Especially when they're looking at a picture of a field of wheat stubble. :sunglasses:
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 39,585 Member Member Posts: 39,585 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Having an afternoon snack right after school was a solid tradition. We lived near a Hostess Bakery outlet and boxes of Ho-ho's, Banana Flips, Snowballs and Zingers could be had for 50¢. We kids thought nothing of polishing off half a box in one go. Little Debbie apple cakes didn't last long either.

Of course the activity after the snack was going outside and playing not sitting on a video game eating more snacks like now.

Well, sometimes I'd have a snack and read a book or play with paper dolls or draw on the Etch-a-Sketch. Modern kids didn't invent sedentary hobbies. There probably are trends in physical activity that are relevant here, but I feel like this conversation overall is really flattening out differences and assuming an experience of 1980s life that is not necessarily accurate.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

This is why I chuckle a bit to myself when city people who aren't familiar with agriculture start commenting on how crops and farm animals should be raised.

Especially when they're looking at a picture of a field of wheat stubble. :sunglasses:

Dude it was a joke...I was more referencing growing up in BFE Nebraska and it's flat just like that with corn for days and not a whole hell of a lot more than that going on. I know what the *kitten* wheat looks like and what corn looks like. Not sure what the whole city people thing was in reference to either...literally grew up in Nebraska surrounded by farms.

Since we're so worried about the accuracy of what BFE Nebraska looks like here ya go...minus the windmills since we didn't have those then.

9950194525_ae99dd95e4_h.jpg

Better? JFC
    edited June 14
  • mtaratootmtaratoot Member Posts: 6,799 Member Member Posts: 6,799 Member
    I miss back in the 80s when people were more fit toned and healthy from running through the corn fields 😔

Well, for Sandy Duncan, it was indeed a wheat field.
  • wunderkindkingwunderkindking Member Posts: 1,194 Member Member Posts: 1,194 Member
    I'm from the east coast (well east coast state). We have mountains.

I went to Iowa once. aNd got lost in a cornfield.
  • ythannahythannah Member Posts: 3,913 Member Member Posts: 3,913 Member
    I miss back in the 80s when people were more fit toned and healthy from running through the corn fields 😔

Now I'm thinking Children of the Corn...
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 2,078 Member Member Posts: 2,078 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

Dude it was a joke...I was more referencing growing up in BFE Nebraska and it's flat just like that with corn for days and not a whole hell of a lot more than that going on. I know what the *kitten* wheat looks like and what corn looks like. Not sure what the whole city people thing was in reference to either...literally grew up in Nebraska surrounded by farms.

Since we're so worried about the accuracy of what BFE Nebraska looks like here ya go...minus the windmills since we didn't have those then.

Better? JFC

Sorry, I bet at least 50% of the people looking at that said yeah corn after picked.
  • mvheinmvhein Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Well, first of all those women are not normal women, anymore than those paraded across the media today are. But I read an article a while ago that said the primary reason is we have a more sedentary culture now and easier access to SUPER JUNK food.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 21,604 Member Member, Premium Posts: 21,604 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Well, for Sandy Duncan, it was indeed a wheat field.

🤣🤣🤣

Maybe it's just me, but . . .

There's Sandy, in a wheat field, in 1981 . . . to my eye, looking very thin, under-muscled IMO by common current aspirational standards, and remarkably pale for someone wandering through a wheat field boosting "healthy" crackers. If that's an example of 1980s "fit, toned and healthy Looking" (sic), perhaps the whole basis of disagreement in this thread is what those terms mean, in an applied sense.

Whatever: That's hilarious.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,561 Member Member Posts: 7,561 Member
    My mom's mom grew up in Nebraska's Sandhills, and met my grandfather when he was working on a ranch there. They often visited in the summer when she was growing up. I've never been, since all of our closest relatives had either moved or died by the time I was a kid in the '80s (to stay on theme).

They have a marathon https://sandhillsmarathon.net/.
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 960 Member Member Posts: 960 Member
    edited June 15
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 9,137 Member Member Posts: 9,137 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

I took it as a reference to Nebraska, not to the picture.
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 9,137 Member Member Posts: 9,137 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

You should be thinking Twilight Zone and Billy Mumy.

iw96bec1kaul.png
    hcdpe3majefw.png
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 5,697 Member Member Posts: 5,697 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

You should be thinking Twilight Zone and Billy Mumy.

iw96bec1kaul.png
    hcdpe3majefw.png

Yup!
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,561 Member Member Posts: 7,561 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

I took it as a reference to Nebraska, not to the picture.

Yeah, me too.
  • JessD9031JessD9031 Member Posts: 581 Member Member Posts: 581 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

A couple guys in first class on a flight
    From new York to Los Angeles,
    Kinda making small talk killing time,
    Flirting with the flight attendants,
    Thirty thousand feet above, could be Oklahoma,
    Just a bunch of square cornfields and wheat farms,
    Man it all looks the same,
    Miles and miles of back roads and highways,
    Connecting little towns with funny names,
    Who'd want to live down there in the middle of nowhere,
  • YellowD0gsYellowD0gs Member Posts: 624 Member Member Posts: 624 Member
    I was
    So, so many snacks.

Ha.

I've been there....

^^Pretty much...

Good corn though...

Good corn?

Better? JFC

It was taken as a joke, and my response was offered as a joke. Relax, chill. Later.