WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :) I don't care for salads. I like sliced tomatoes, carrots, celery. When I started paying attention to what I ate, I realized that what I liked about salads was the dressing so I stopped eating salad. It's a lot like when I stopped drinking coffee when I realized that what I liked about coffee was the sugary flavored creamer.

:) Yesterday we had a sprinkling of snow in the morning and nice weather in the afternoon for pulling weeds.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Debbie - You look a lot like your Mom.

Allie - I hope you feel up to a visit with the pups, they can brighten a day for sure.

Katla - Hope DH has a better rest of the day.

Barbie - That makes sense to me. I have never been a big salad fan until a friend served caeser salad, I ate it out of politeness and found I liked it. She used fresh spinach out of her garden to make it.
    I used to drink 4 large double double coffees a day, now I drink 1 large double cream. I will probably switch that back to medium again soon.

I am at work and should get at it.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Turned in the keys to the apartment yesterday afternoon and they did a walkthrough while I had to wait outside. Then I got to see her comments and go inoif I wanted. I wish I could have remembered to take a pic of the commentator show kirby when I got home. He would have been pissed so he thought it would be better to stay home. Gave forwarding address signed and left
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip — Congratulations on moving in to your new home! ❤️😘❤️
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    B)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Finished cleaning one flower bed. Things are coming out and I love this time of year.

Covid vaccines- my internist insisted I take the shots even though I told him the first one made me sick. He said there are different strains so I took them. I should be well protected. Not that we go anywhere lol
    Have a great day
    SueBDew in TX
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    trisH_7183 wrote: »
    Hoping this won’t double post. Having a boatload of problems with after thyroid surgery symptoms. Even on line has little info. From the TMI desk........my bowel refuses to work & none of the Drs has much help to offer.Three wks to go before blood work that may help. Three wks? How to get thru 3 wks? Excuse my shout out.

A nurse will stop by today,fingers crossed. Has never been a problem,but when it happens,is a problem for sure.
    Kim,good luck to your Mom.Heather,all the pictures are sweet.Rori,hope you get your shots soon.Ours were the first of March.All went ok.Allie,sounds like you are getting thru the sleep problems. Know there are more,but my first post went pouf.....my mistake for not copying. Have a great day & thank you for listening. Pat C Ohio

my husband had issues after surgery(hip replacement) and had bowel issues-(didn't go for a week)- only thing that helped him, and helped FAST was milk of magnesia. He made sure to keep it on hand when he had his other surgeries, just in case.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌞🙂🖐️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: board minutes.
    Bonus: Completed fire district government units census survey, emailed Chief overview of possible Dept of Forestry AVF grant, started updating district profile for state fire marshall, pending responses from Analytics Unit and County Assessor.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments, First week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Mindful March:
    15: Stop, breathe and just notice. Repeat regularly throughout the day. I’d have been better off getting up away from the computer and dancing ;)
    16: Get really absorbed in an interesting or creative activity: that’s what happened yesterday at the computer. Analyzing, summarizing, it’s what I like to do.

Corned beef simmering on the back burner. We’ll have our what Joe calls “Irish Day” meal today as tomorrow will be DDS/new permanent bridge. Shouldn’t be a big deal, but every time they’ve said that, they ended up having to numb me and struggle for two hours. Moving the feast up a day just makes sense.

Heather you may be right, but I hesitate. Our county sheriff’s department is spread very thin, underfunded, understaffed, unable to get the taxpayers to vote any revenue increase. If we lived it town, it would be different, there is a municipal police department. Did alert the neighbors via the NextDoor app. Sounds like no racing heart last night, whew! Loved the story of your resourceful feeding at that expen$ive hotel. First draft finished? Bravissima!
    Machka I just love the pictures of your yard. Gorgeous incorporation of edible landscaping. Your landlords are lucky to have you and your husband as tenants.
    Allie I had to google electrophysiologist. What you’re going through has certainly been an education for me! Brava for walking and doing your PT! Get lots of pup love and healing.
    SueBDew how long were you without power?
    Katla that’s a hard way to wake up at 4:30. Glad you were there for him. Living in the forest, trying to poo-police the yard, I can count on always finding some unexpectedly. My old hiking boots must have poo-magnets in their soles. :laugh:
    Vicki I shake my head at the home remodeling shows I love to watch, especially the flippers who talk of “refreshing” a bathroom for $2K. Here, the average estimate for a bathroom re-do, not changing the foot print, just new floors, fixtures and paint, is $14K!!! Kitchens start at $25K, easily escalating to $50 K if any upgrades to appliances, finishes etc. Good thing Joe would oppose any remodeling and disruption, we can’t afford it anyway…
    Tina I’m just grateful that both dogs are barky, and that the man didn’t want to stay around and talk about directions, and that our big black GSD/Flatcoat mix barked him all the way down the drive along our fence. Good girls! Extra cookies!!! What you said about shoes being the best investment. Truth.
    Tracey ants on legs? [shudder] Safe travels, your cousin is lucky to have you.
    Lisa talk about “in the nick of time”. Whew!
    Debbie, the very image of your Mom.
    Pat C ((hugs)) 3 weeks sounds like a long time to wait, is a second opinion possible? Psylllium fiber caps are my friends…
    Pip bet you’re glad to be done with the old place ;)

Blustery and cold yesterday, 38F felt like 28F. To absorbed in fire district work yesterday to get up off my butt and take the dogs down to the powerline. Enjoyed a zoom chat with 2 buddies and 4 others, but then plopped down in front of the TV and stuffed my face 500+ over CICO. Only plus was that I left the wine alone. Time to do better today BEFORE the wind kicks up.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 15, weigh: 15; steps>5627=2472 :rage:, vits=15, log=15, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=14 Shadow=15 mfp=13 outside=10 up hill=9
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=6 x5= rx=2 dance= clean 60 mins=1.25 packwalk=2, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad:, 3/14:140.7 :bigsmile:, 3/21 , 3/28 , 3/31 .
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=1 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=7 play=7 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Pip, oh I hate the post inspections! You want to yell to them, "you realize this place is cleaner than WE got it"?? Lee is the nit-picker when we walk thru the apt/ or house before we move in. He walks around and notices every little thing, and makes the management agent write it down.
    What are some of the new place perks that you didn't have in the old place? I actually love moving, changes, a chance to go thru stuff, organizing, decorating. Its just the actual physical moving that I hate. When we move from here, after son retires from Navy, we are having a moving company, and save our backs.😜
    Hugs Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Katla, oh how scary, but it sounds like you handled it like a pro. If you stress, they stress. I was like that when Lee would go into his ammonia comas. In your head your saying, "and so this too shall pass". Then it does.💖👍
    Hugs
    Rebecca
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    Gosh, Debbie, you look so much like your mother. I know you two are very close. <3

I also look like my mother, but I'm not happy about it! One of the reasons I like wearing makeup is that don't see my mother when I look in the mirror. Otherwise, her eyes stare back at me.

I'm extremely fussy about salads. No bottled dressings. No savoury and sweet mixed up. In general, apart from Greek Salad, I don't like tomatoes in with my lettuce. I like the classic combinations. Classics are classics for a reason. I love many salads, but above all, a properly dressed green salad is heaven. The best olive oil is essential.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

mom was 15 in her picture and I think I was about 55 in mine.
    Friends from high school thought that it was me when I posted her picture. They were shocked when I told them it wasn't.
    Debbie
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Good morning, afternoon, evening Ladies!

Well, the red spot on my arm is gone now. Usually, if I just wait and not panic, these things go away.

Tip of the day: To get the cent sign on Windows, type Alt key and 0162. On Mac, it’s the option key 4. I know on Windows there are bunch of keyboard shortcuts for all kinds of special characters using the Alt key. Since I don’t use Windows anymore, I can’t really remember them, but I know they had all the umlaut characters for when I did type in German from time to time.

I do love a good Greek salad too. When we were in Crete, we found this little taverna off a small road and had the best one. It was big chunks of fresh tomato, big chunks of cucumber, wonderful kalamata olives and a giant chunk of feta plopped on the top. Then drizzled with olive oil, salt & pepper. It was fantastic.

Not much going on today. Getting some work done and then nothing. I really want to take a walk, but my knee is refusing to improve.

Tina in CA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Well i didnt take the pups,will do so tomorrow...did stop and got them outside and visited and gave them treats..
    The electrophysiologist, I like him alot.. I no longer need to wear the life vest,whoooo hooo.
    But like I thought he wants to do an ablation.. i dont have a-fib ,just a flutter.. the ablation has 85- 95 percent effective,i asked how many the Doc said he has done 1000s over the last 30 yrs and i have confidence it will go fine,and i will feel alot better.
    He was thrilled that i had gotten the first shot and I asked when he came in if i was going to get zapped or the ablation.He was so happy that i was up on everything .
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    I like any salad except those that are made with jello. Those are easy for me to pass up.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    :
    Vicki I shake my head at the home remodeling shows I love to watch, especially the flippers who talk of “refreshing” a bathroom for $2K. Here, the average estimate for a bathroom re-do, not changing the foot print, just new floors, fixtures and paint, is $14K!!! Kitchens start at $25K, easily escalating to $50 K if any upgrades to appliances, finishes etc. Good thing Joe would oppose any remodeling and disruption, we can’t afford it anyway…

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 15, weigh: 15; steps>5627=2472 :rage:, vits=15, log=15, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=14 Shadow=15 mfp=13 outside=10 up hill=9
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=6 x5= rx=2 dance= clean 60 mins=1.25 packwalk=2, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad:, 3/14:140.7 :bigsmile:, 3/21 , 3/28 , 3/31 .
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=1 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=7 play=7 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

You probably can "refresh" a bathroom for $3K or so, if certain conditions are met: 1. it's pretty small. 2. you do all the labor yourself. Materials are cheap. Labor is atrociously expensive. I remodeled my bathroom a few years ago for the price of a small condo.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey: Thanks for your good wishes for DH. :star:

Heather: Congrats on finishing your first draft! :bigsmile:

Barbara: Poo Police—One of our neighbors complained that I threw our dog poo in a place that he didn’t approve. He was puppy-sitting his step daughter’s little dog and putting every piece of poo in a separate blue plastic bag. He then threw the plastic bag in the regular garbage. I imagined the town dump with thousands of blue bags and didn’t want to do that myself, so I started dumping our dog’s poo into the toilet and flushing it away. We use the poo bags when we take him for a long walk and put them in the city garbage cans if needed. :ohwell:

Rebecca: DH has been diabetic since before we met, & we have been married more than 50 years. He does a good job of monitoring his blood sugar levels, but on occasion he has an unforeseen low blood sugar level that requires help I can’t provide on my own. Our local fire department has highly skilled paramedics who have been life savers. They are heroes in my book. Hot weather can be especially difficult and is a more likely time for DH to have trouble. :flowerforyou:

My tummy is telling me that it is lunch time. I need to get busy.

Katla in sunny NW Oregon
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tracey: Thanks for your good wishes for DH. :star:

Heather: Congrats on finishing your first draft! :bigsmile:

Barbara: Poo Police—One of our neighbors complained that I threw our dog poo in a place that he didn’t approve. He was puppy-sitting his step daughter’s little dog and putting every piece of poo in a separate blue plastic bag. He then threw the plastic bag in the regular garbage. I imagined the town dump with thousands of blue bags and didn’t want to do that myself, so I started dumping our dog’s poo into the toilet and flushing it away. We use the poo bags when we take him for a long walk and put them in the city garbage cans if needed. :ohwell:

Rebecca: DH has been diabetic since before we met, & we have been married more than 50 years. He does a good job of monitoring his blood sugar levels, but on occasion he has an unforeseen low blood sugar level that requires help I can’t provide on my own. Our local fire department has highly skilled paramedics who have been life savers. They are heroes in my book. Hot weather can be especially difficult and is a more likely time for DH to have trouble. :flowerforyou:

My tummy is telling me that it is lunch time. I need to get busy.

Katla in sunny NW Oregon

Understood.💖. Yes in Hammond the EMTs all knew us. They'd come into the apartment, explaining to the new guy's, "this gentleman has liver issues, we need to keep our voices calm and low, because he gets agitated easily. He is in an ammonia coma, so he's not thinking clearly". I just had to give him a look and a copy of his meds. They'd quietly poke their head in and say " hi Owain". It was really endearing.💖🙏👍
    Rebecca