WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,166 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: livestream church, found my tax error, re-keyed donations, filed taxes.
    Bonus: got back on the wii this morning, told myself “No, thanks!” to a third glass of wine this evening.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, board minutes, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Last week in March: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Mindful March:
    14: Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that need doing: hmm, couldn’t find any way to enjoy the taxes. Will put on some music and dance-vacuum tomorrow.

Debbie in Napa Fred Meyer sale $3.99/lb flat cut, $2.99/lb point cut, both this and last year. We both love corned beef hash so the corned beef and cabbage meal is not the main attraction. I uses Mama’s electric carving knife to slice, as otherwise it just shreds. ;} Interesting tip about how to prep beef for Chinese stir fry (slice the meat thin while partially frozen then soak it in water w/ baking soda in it for 15 min, then rinse, and rinse, and rinse-if you don't rinse well enough you will taste the baking soda. After I rinse it the last time I let it soak in cold water until I am ready to cook. It will foam up a little from the last of the baking soda.) Would it work for pork or chicken too?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh: 14; steps>5627=3870 :P, vits=14, log=14, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=14 Shadow=15 mfp=13 outside=10 up hill=9
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=4 or SWSY or wii=6 x5= rx=2 dance= clean 60 mins=1.25 packwalk=2, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7:144.4 waah! :sad: 3/14:141 something, will update tomorrow ;) 3/21 3/28 3/31
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=7 play=6 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

I haven't tried it with pork or chicken but I am sure it will- now I will have to try it!!!
    Thanks for the reminder about the electric knife. I don't have one BUT I do have an electric slicer that has been up in the top cubboard for at least four or five years since I have used it. Usually don't think about it or want to bother climbing up on the step stool and pulling it down from above the fridge- but, after reading your post, I stopped reading, pulled it down and will get it washed down and use it on the corned beef. It will be easy to get super thin slices now with that and it being cold.
    Debbie
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,873 Member
    Happy Monday from wet Nebraska. So far since Friday we have gotten over 5 inches of rain and more to come the next couple days. We have been Blessed and no water in the basement. Rori I am so glad for the rain and not snow as it would of been several feet again. I am so done with winter this year.

Have someone coming today to give us an estimate on taking out our tub and putting in walk in shower. I am excited to at least get an idea about what it is going to cost. Well I was shocked as the first one to come look at bathroom wants to redo the whole thing and I said all I want is to replace the tub with a walkin shower. He is talking over $5000-10,000. I was really be out of the loop as I had no idea. I was thinking $2000 maybe 3000.

Katla--I have seen an ant again in my kitchen yesterday. Last several years we seem to get them in the spring. I am going to look into planting some Bergrten Sage plants under the window around that side of the house, see if that will help. They drive me nuts and I spray and wipe down everything.

Sue--We are not taking the vaccine as we both had the virus and we have the antibodies. I gave blood last Friday for the Red Cross and they are checking for antibodies again. Long as we have that we are just as safe as having the vaccine. Sorry you had such a reaction.

Heather--Glad you had a great visit. Love the pictures and everyone looks so happy to be together. Happy Mother's day.

Kim--So sorry to hear about your mom"s fall. Praying for quick healing and lots of patience.

Barbara--Sounds scary and to be on the lookout. can never be to careful anymore.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 970 Member
    Michele - Check out this art for your condo. https://robinbonesart.com/art/ I like how she works with color. There are some nice beach scenes, but you can commission something too. I have no idea what your budget is, but perhaps something here appeals to you.

Barbara - Yes, that trick with baking soda and water works with chicken. I have not tried it with pork, but it probably would. You might have to soak it a bit longer.

And Yes, I would say 99% sure that person was casing the neighborhood and you caught him/them off guard so they came up with that story.

Salad - Not a huge fan of them. However, I like caprese salad with added avocado. Lately, when I want a salad, I've been using mixed greens with chopped rosemary herbed nuts and a dressing of herbs and olive oil from a nearby olive oil company. I'm a vinegar and oil person. I very rarely eat salads when I go out. They are usually packed with a bunch of stuff that makes them tasty, but full of unneeded calories and are always overdressed. If I get them, dressing is on the side.

Rori - Glad to hear from you.

Annie -- Shoes are the single most important tool to keep your lower body and hips in shape. They are relatively cheap as far as "exercise" equipment goes. Spend the money on the shoes and not surgery.

Kim - Sorry to hear about your mom. What a fall.

COVID vaccine - I only had arm soreness for about a day and it was less than the first dose. I do have a red spot at the injection site and it's a tiny bit swollen. I am watching it for a couple of days before I call my doctor. I had the Pfizer vaccine.

Stomach sleepers - Please tell me how you sleep on your front without straining your necks? I like sleeping that way, but it gives me the worst neck pain from having to turn it to the side so much.

Tina in CA where it's spitting water from the sky
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,698 Member
    Stomach sleepers unite!! LOL for me the trick is the thinnest pillow imaginable. Really my sweatshirt folded so there are 4 layers of fabric works when I forget my pillow, just enough to keep your face up from the sheets, and it only goes from the side of your face back, so your nose and mouth are hanging off. That insures the least arch on your neck then I alternate one day facing right the next day facing left.

Kim in N. California
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Kim ~ So sorry to hear about your mom's fall. She is blessed to have a wonderful daughter like you and know that hr's both way drive is difficult when you are trying to keep your business going. Glad your brother is helping a bit and hope he will continue to do so along with the neighbors.

My favorite salads come in a bag! :) At BJ's I can get a Grand Parisian salad and a caesar's salad by Dole. They are almost always fresh and last up to a week. When I make a salad it is usually chopped romaine with hard cooked eggs, grated cheese, light mayo and croutons.

Allergy season is really bad right now in Georgia!

Carol

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Carol — I think of peaches when I think of Georgia. I imagine the blossoms are lovely. 🌸🌸🌸
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,621 Member
    edited March 2021
    Kim and Tina - I do have to work a bit to keep my neck flexible. I alternate sides during the night as I'm not a deep sleeper, and I sometimes do like Kim and have my face just off the edge if I'm having trouble. Every morning, when I'm on the rower, I spend a couple of minutes turning my head from side to side. Just occasionally it becomes a problem. I'm not getting any younger! But I really can't sleep well any other way. If my neck is painful (doesn't happen often) I have to sleep on my right side, but I experience real joy when I treat myself to a couple of hours on my front at the end of the night. Often I lift my side up slightly by bringing my right leg up high and throwing my arm up. I have a flat, silk covered pillow.
    In one very, very posh hotel in Mexico I sent the poor room guy back and forwards several times before he found a flat enough pillow for me. :o I wouldn’t have been so fussy if it hadn't been the kind of place where Manhattan lawyers go for the weekend! We ended up there by mistake on a package and we couldn't afford to eat anything! We ordered a green salad for lunch and stuffed ourselves on the free dips and asked for extra rolls! :D There was free fruit around the hotel and cakes with afternoon tea,, and we existed on having just a starter for dinner! It still cost an absolute fortune, but we filled up on the enormous included breakfast and I did get the right pillow in the end! :D

Proud of myself today. I have finished the first draft of my book. o:) AND I braved opening my laptop for the first time in months and months and had a quick look around in there. I need it for editing my book, but I HATE it and it causes me great anxiety. I will take a few more tiny steps tomorrow. Little by little, I will get there. I have a big editing job on, plus design :sad: and I've got to find a cover and write a blurb and an intro. Ugh. I've done it twice before, so I know I can do it, but I find it terrifying. I've never worked in an office, so those skills are very rudimentary.
    Having said all that, my finished product was way better than DH's efforts. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,707 Member
    I love a good waldorf salad. Walnuts and grapes!
    My mom made a good 24 HR salad, with many layers of items, the last layer frozen peas that thaw in the fridge.👍
    It always amazed me that it says a whole head of lettuce! It was made in a glass container so you could see the layers of hardboiled eggs, celery, onion, olives, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and a sweet mayo layer.
    Sent the box today. $16 bucks of love!
    Rebecca
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,835 Member
    Darn it! Looks like I lost a post last night!
    Lisa: ~ Enjoy your family time.
    Heather: ~ delighted that you beach visit was successful. Great pics.
    Mini cupcakes and Lindt truffles figured large in my day yesterday (Mother’s Day gifts). No obvious effects so far 😂

UK are vaccinating over 50s starting today. So glad my girls will get their first jabs. DYD has hers booked for 30 March.

Our clocks change on 28 March. I will start gradually changing my bedtime next week.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,098 Member
    Stats for the day-

Zwift bike trainer- 36.12min, 18.3amph, 89elev, 135ahr, 164mhr, 11.04mi= 348c
    Strava app = 198c
    Walk w/family- 1hr 33min 52sec, 95ahr, 120mhr, 5.03mi= 456c
    Strava app = 610c
    Walk to cleaners n store- 30.07min, 95ahr, 115mhr, .94mi= 105c

Total cal 909
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,971 Member
    Vicki, my sister is working on this same project. She is replacing her tub with a walk-in shower with bench, soap niche and grab bars and her quote was around $3200, I think. This price does not include demo, because she and her friends did that, including pulling off old tile and breaking up the tub and getting it out. She's looking at cultured marble, and the price does include a new top for her very small vanity. She is not getting shower doors so that would probably be an added expense if you wanted them. I would get an estimate from someone willing to do just what you want. My sister, also named Vickie (but with an e), lives in the New Orleans area.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🖐️🙂🌞
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,698 Member
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,150 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2021
    Barbara: I have a Cuisinart electric knife that was a gift. It is a pleasure to use. :star: We also have an Oster Choice Cut Slicer. We’ve been married over 50 years and that slicer was a wedding gift gift from my parents. It works as well as it ever did but we don’t use it often. The electric knife works just as well and it is easier to keep clean. :bigsmile:

Vicki: I hope that you continue to stay dry and comfortable in your house. :flowerforyou:

Heather: CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the first draft of your new book. :star::bigsmile: :star::bigsmile: :star:

We have 15 days until our final Pfizer vaccination appointments. I am looking forward to getting them done. :heart:

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,479 Member
    COVID Vaccine Info ... Q&A

"Australians are encouraged to rely on reputable sources of information to help them make informed choices and stay up-to-date on the latest information about COVID-19 vaccines.

With new vaccine developments every day, it’s normal to have questions or concerns, and possibly feel hesitant about getting a vaccine. This is a new vaccination program and these are new vaccines.

Sometimes it's hard to tell misunderstandings or false information apart from facts.

Usually people are simply seeking more information to answer questions or allay any concerns they may have.

The information below can help people make informed decisions – and get information from a trusted source."

https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-vaccines-is-it-true

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 10,009 Member
    Had a nice corned beef dinner with my ladies and now back home..Drs appt tomorrow so im hoping to get some decent sleep.. and i am hoping i can get rid of the life vest..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,479 Member
    Salads - I am actually not a big fan of salads and rarely eat them. However ...

My favourite salad is a simple Caesar ... no anchovies, no eggs.
    My next favourite is a simple garden salad ... no peppers.
    And I like Greek salads for something different once in a while.

I will eat some other salads like potato salad, fruit salad, or interesting concoctions in restaurants occasionally, but won't usually make them.

Salad dressing - my favourite is ... no dressing. I like the salad as is. Or maybe with a salted herb mixture sprinkled on.

Next would be a light Caesar ... especially if I'm eating a Caesar salad. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I like spinach egg and avocado salad. I used to buy a wonderful peach pecan dressing but it was really too many calories and too expensive.

Too cold to walk today.

Annie in Delaware