Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I love music but can’t create it myself. My mom used to say that I could not carry a tune in a bucket. Still true. :ohwell: The flooding photos in Austraila showed massive damage to homes and property. It reminded me of the relatively recent flooding in Texas. I hope they have safe water to drink and power ready to resume. Safe water to drink was a need in the Texas flooding. :cry:

Kate UK: What a charming bird! I’ve never seen one just like it. Beautiful! :flowerforyou:

I woke up to the sound of the garbage collection truck this morning. I worked at cleaning yesterday but did not remember to take out the garbage. :ohwell: Next week the cans will be twice as full and outside waiting to be picked up.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Music!

I joke that one of my "superpowers" is knowing lyrics. I keep astounding people by hearing the snippet of a random song on a TV show, and then singing it. There used to be a game show on TV where people had to guess the lyrics of the next line of a song and I did quite well, sitting in the comfort of my home.

I enjoy a huge variety of music. My style is "eclectic". But the songs I probably know the best are hymns and Christmas songs ... and 50s pop.

The radio stations I listen to are "classical" ABC ClassicFM and anything I can tune into with 50s to 80s music. Around here, that's not easy because there aren't many radio stations.

Music groups and music professions ... I would have to work in the background. Arranging the events, sound mixing, stuff like that. Maybe media and photography? Although I know lyrics, I don't think I can sing.

I have taken lessons for Piano and got up to Grade 3 in the Royal Conservatory program. I would like to get a keyboard and play again, but just for myself. I also do not like recitals.

I did recorder in school like most children and then relearned it during my Bachelor of Education.

Machka in Oz

I just bought a beginner keyboard yesterday. It should arrive Wednesday. It supposedly has a "learning" mode and somehow comes with lessons.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: So sorry about the car. Do you have insurance that includes towing? Poor DH. I’d be upset, too. :'(
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Machka--Pray you both stay safe and no water damage. The weather this year is crazy. A week ago we got over 6 inches of rain. It started rainy early yesterday morning and still going strong this morning and so far over 2.5 inches and not to stop until tomorrow.

Heather--Sorry to hear about your car trouble. I pray that it is an easy fix. We took DH's pickup in to have some work done.It an older pickup, but it is handi. Anyway when we went to pick it up they told use the bill was $895 and we could pay it off over 12 months at $148 per month. That adds up to $1776 plus tax. I am glad we were able to just pay it, but what a way to take advantage of someone who needs their vehicle fixed and doesn't have the money up front. I was and am so upset.

Well have a great day.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Katla and Vicki - thanks for your concern. <3
    The emergency guy sorted out a temporary fix. He was about 18 years old, but very pleasant! DH made him a cup of tea.
    He then ran the car for 40 mins to charge up the battery and drove it round to the garage a couple of hundred yards away. It's just a tiny place, basically a two car garage! The guy there put on his own temporary repair so the emergency guy could take his equipment back and the garage has ordered new fuses from Honda. It's back home now. They will mend it on Thursday morning.
    PHEW!
    I have just made DH a Pernod. When you are 75 these things seem worse than when you are young and fit. Lugging big battery chargers around is not easy! Love him. <3<3<3

I had a nap and needed it!

The emergency guy said he us having a lot of these call outs and not just old people. :o:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    Machka- love the little if your happy and you know it.. very cute..
    I was up for an hour or so early morning.. but did circle words on my phone until i felt sleepy again.. also put on white noise of nightime with crickets and it helps a bit ,between that and the melatonin

I have found the sound that works best for me on my sound machine is- cats purring. I have one that you can put your own sound in and husband downloaded cats purring. I use it to drown out noise, like when he is up late and tv is on load .
    It has all the other sounds but like the cats best. The waves crashing are soothing BUT I lay there, just waiting for the next wave to crash.
    I need to use it more often. I just don't think about it

Debbie
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    The emergency guy sorted out a temporary fix. He was about 18 years old, but very pleasant! DH made him a cup of tea.
    He then ran the car for 40 mins to charge up the battery and drove it round to the garage a couple of hundred yards away. It's just a tiny place, basically a two car garage! The guy there put on his own temporary repair so the emergency guy could take his equipment back and the garage has ordered new fuses from Honda. It's back home now. They will mend it on Thursday morning.
    PHEW!
    I have just made DH a Pernod. When you are 75 these things seem worse than when you are young and fit. Lugging big battery chargers around is not easy! Love him. <3<3<3

The emergency guy said he us having a lot of these call outs and not just old people. :o:p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I don't know specifics, but there are trickle chargers here for keeping those batteries charged up. They are often used for hybrid vehicles that don't get a lot of use of the combustion engine (like mine). That might be worth looking into for you since you don't drive the car much. I specifically drive mine using the combustion engine on occasion to keep the battery charged.

Tina in CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    npseth7xewfg.jpeg
    This is a free image

Oh, I would love to see those, so pretty. Thank you so much for posting the picture.
    I just have sparrows(two kinds), house finch/linnets/ ring neck dove and one humming bird. At least 2-3 dozen or more of the sparrows and finches- at the most 6 dove.
    They are making a mess- they are picky about their food- toss out the milo and are pooping on my rose bushes but I am so enjoying watching them. Makes me think of my dad even more than usual and the cats are loving watching them through the window.

Debbie
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.
    My sister's visit is going well. Tonight is the first time I've served a spiral cut ham. We shall see how that goes. My parents have been taking their naps, like good little kids.

My Dad has been taking walks with my brother in law. Apparently there was a close call where my dad didn't hear traffic. Glad it came out okay but I worry about him.

My sister said she didn't think my parents could live on their own without me. That was nice for me to hear.

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Oh and diced tomatoes, and black olives!😜
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    PHEW!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I don't know specifics, but there are trickle chargers here for keeping those batteries charged up. They are often used for hybrid vehicles that don't get a lot of use of the combustion engine (like mine). That might be worth looking into for you since you don't drive the car much. I specifically drive mine using the combustion engine on occasion to keep the battery charged.

Tina in CA

My husband keeps one of the trickle chargers on his truck that he keeps at his mom because he rarely drives it.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thanks for the trickle charger suggestion. I looked it up on Amazon and showed it to DH. He was interested, but hesitant, so I suggested he discuss it with the garage man on Thursday. We normally have the car parked outside our house on the street, but we could bring it onto the off street parking area in front of the garage where there is electricity inside and we could leave the bonnet unlocked a little. I think it is a good idea.
    In truth, we don't need a car and I haven't been in it for over a year, except for one short drive when DH nearly had an accident. He only needs it to drive to the cricket, about 70 miles away. There has been no cricket for a year with covid and we are not sure when it will resume. :o This evening he was grumbling about parking charges, car tax, insurance renewal etc so I suggested we could give the car up if it weren't for the cricket. To my surprise he agreed with me!!! There are even car hire points at the top of the road if you need one for occasional journeys. You just join an app and book it when you need it for a few hours or a day.
    Something to think about. I think he might even give up the cricket in the next county if it weren't for his friend. He could then go locally, which is a 30 minute walk away. He values his friendship.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx