Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,769 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,769 Member
There is a lot of misinformation passed on decade by decade in the Fitness and diet industry. Hoping we can just squash some of them out of existence, but that's gonna take a lot of time based on how it's used to promote sales income.

I'll start though:

Drink a gallon of water a day: Does it help with weight loss? Well yes and no. It will help drop "water" weight more. But that's not the weight people really want to lose. It CAN help with weight loss if it keeps you from overeating by staying more full with water. But drinking a gallon of water will also have you going to the bathroom more and possibly increasing sweating.
Does it hurt to do it? Not really (unless your electrolytes aren't being replenished). But the myth of it being essential to do to lose weight is very overhyped and is a staple amongst many gym rats for some reason.

Throw in your myth and let's discuss

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• youngmomtazyoungmomtaz Member Posts: 1,082 Member Member Posts: 1,082 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Skinny people just have faster metabolisms.
    Yeah, they aren't around skinny people enough to see HOW MUCH they actually eat. There was a documentary on BBC once where 2 roomates (one lean the other obese) were asked to participate in a study and both took a pill that could read how much they ate in a day. The obese one kept saying that the lean one at so much and all the time and was consigned to the fact that her roomate had a higher metabolism. When the test was done, the obese on had a higher metabolic rate, and she came to find out her lean friend ate only about a 1/3 of what she thought she was eating calorie wise. Goes to show that people make errors all the time when estimating.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I so wish that calorie counting pill was available to us all! I hate counting!
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,223 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,223 Member
    Eating whole foods will make you lose weight. One of the earliest I saw of this was from the South Beach Diet which claimed that no one would sit down and eat a whole loaf of whole grain bread, the way people do white bread. Wanna bet? If you told me I had to eat a whole loaf of bread, I would chose the whole grain, although a nice sourdough would be a close second.

I am a proponent of South Beach/ Med style eating as a way to build a healthful diet, but that doesn't mean you will necessarily lose weight if it doesn't help you control how many calories you are consuming.

Yeah, what? Whole grain bread is often delicious. If it's fresh I could absolutely polish off a loaf.
  • concordanciaconcordancia Member Posts: 5,265 Member Member Posts: 5,265 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    "You have to do cardio to burn off fat".

Myth for sure: Cardio burns calories. If you're in deficit, with or without cardio, you'll burn fat. Cardio helps to create a calorie deficit and/or allows you to eat more if your calorie restriction to lose weight is low (say 1200 a day).

You see so many instructors, trainers, Youtubers, etc. telling people that if they aren't doing cardio, they aren't going to lose weight. Or that doing their cardio program will be how they will lose stubborn fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Also, the converse of this: that not doing exercise to lose weight because you are focused on "getting healthy" or some such thing first is something to brag about from a health perspective. Worse yet, that you shouldn't do exercise until you have lost the weight :(