Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options
1333435363739»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    TABATA PROTOCOL

There are so many "influencers" now and classes that tout TABATA workout when the truth is all they are doing are intervals.

Tabata protocol is a specific protocol use to force the body to reach and improve VO2max. The protocol requires 100% effort on EVERY INTERVAL and of course each interval will reduce in power and speed.

Today, the majority of people think that doing a 20 sec work and 10 second rest for 8 cycles is Tababta.

It's a disservice to the man that created the program who created it to help Olympic racers improve.

If it ain't 100% effort for just 4 minutes..................................it's NOT Tabata. They are just intervals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The real thing still has alternations of 20 seconds max effort and 10 seconds easier effort, times 8, making up that 4 minutes. Strictly, it's supposed to be 170% of VO2max on the 20 second pieces, if a person had the right lab equipment. For practical purposes without those, it's "max effort" on the hard part of the intervals.

I believe that you, niner, know this. "If it ain't 100% effort for just 4 minutes..................................it's NOT Tabata." is an inaccurate summary, though.

I agree that many people don't have the slightest idea how to gauge max effort in that sense, thinking it's "work as hard as you can at . . . whatever" which isn't exactly right in this context. Some athletic activities aren't really capable of getting a person to the equivalent of 170% VO2max even at perceived "max effort", and many people don't have the relevant experience to gauge what "max effort" really feels like for them, besides. There are ways to estimate VO2max from heart rate, but that assumes a person has a sports-tested HRmax, and most people don't.

That said, most of the experiences I've had with "Tabata intervals" in a group fitness context have been . . . not Tabata intervals, as you say.

I think it's particularly amusing when instructors claim "Tabata intervals" for activities that aren't primarily cardiovascular exercise, since the original protocol is in terms of oxygen consumption. (You - niner - know that the heart rate to oxygen consumption relationship isn't the same in other modalities, but not everyone knows that.)

One of my spin teachers liked to do a "Tabata intervals" toward the end of a class. Nope. Just short high intensity intervals.

None of this is a diss of the activities wrongly described as "Tabata intervals". Interval workouts are great, high intensity intervals included. It's just another example of the high-cachet label for something being overgeneralized to things that don't technically conform to the actual definition, and claims being made that this over-extended case has the same benefits as the original, basically for marketing reasons.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    TABATA PROTOCOL

There are so many "influencers" now and classes that tout TABATA workout when the truth is all they are doing are intervals.

Tabata protocol is a specific protocol use to force the body to reach and improve VO2max. The protocol requires 100% effort on EVERY INTERVAL and of course each interval will reduce in power and speed.

Today, the majority of people think that doing a 20 sec work and 10 second rest for 8 cycles is Tababta.

It's a disservice to the man that created the program who created it to help Olympic racers improve.

If it ain't 100% effort for just 4 minutes..................................it's NOT Tabata. They are just intervals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The real thing still has alternations of 20 seconds max effort and 10 seconds easier effort, times 8, making up that 4 minutes. Strictly, it's supposed to be 170% of VO2max on the 20 second pieces, if a person had the right lab equipment. For practical purposes without those, it's "max effort" on the hard part of the intervals.

I believe that you, niner, know this. "If it ain't 100% effort for just 4 minutes..................................it's NOT Tabata." is an inaccurate summary, though.

I agree that many people don't have the slightest idea how to gauge max effort in that sense, thinking it's "work as hard as you can at . . . whatever" which isn't exactly right in this context. Some athletic activities aren't really capable of getting a person to the equivalent of 170% VO2max even at perceived "max effort", and many people don't have the relevant experience to gauge what "max effort" really feels like for them, besides. There are ways to estimate VO2max from heart rate, but that assumes a person has a sports-tested HRmax, and most people don't.

That said, most of the experiences I've had with "Tabata intervals" in a group fitness context have been . . . not Tabata intervals, as you say.

I think it's particularly amusing when instructors claim "Tabata intervals" for activities that aren't primarily cardiovascular exercise, since the original protocol is in terms of oxygen consumption. (You - niner - know that the heart rate to oxygen consumption relationship isn't the same in other modalities, but not everyone knows that.)

One of my spin teachers liked to do a "Tabata intervals" toward the end of a class. Nope. Just short high intensity intervals.

None of this is a diss of the activities wrongly described as "Tabata intervals". Interval workouts are great, high intensity intervals included. It's just another example of the high-cachet label for something being overgeneralized to things that don't technically conform to the actual definition, and claims being made that this over-extended case has the same benefits as the original, basically for marketing reasons.
    Yes Ann, I truly doubt that there are many that have experienced max effort and gasping for air for 3 minutes. I've done Tabata running on a treadmill (3.5 low to as high as 13.0 in speed) and on a bike and when I was done, I was laying on the floor for at least a minute and a half just trying to catch my breath. Lol, that was in my mid 30's. Now all I do are moderate to high intensity intervals.
    I just see all these "influencers" on Instagram, Tik Tok, etc. promoting they are doing Tabata and they do a set a push ups as an interval. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png