Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Broscience of drinking a gallon of water a day. While drinking ENOUGH water is essential for good health, drinking a gallon of water a day isn't necessary but is a staple for most bros in the gym.
    I see 15 year olds carry around a gallon jug with them and boney as hell asking why they aren't gaining weight.
    Also, if you're not balancing your electrolytes with all that water, you can get cramps, nausea, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

If they're only drinking water, a gallon is about right.

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,140 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Broscience of drinking a gallon of water a day. While drinking ENOUGH water is essential for good health, drinking a gallon of water a day isn't necessary but is a staple for most bros in the gym.
    I see 15 year olds carry around a gallon jug with them and boney as hell asking why they aren't gaining weight.
    Also, if you're not balancing your electrolytes with all that water, you can get cramps, nausea, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png

Geez, in metric please? :tongue:
    (long live Google)
    I don't care if it's Harvard or not, a single number as a recommendation is ridiculous: a lot of exercise or not, hot weather or not, etc.
    And their high end number includes all fluids (also from foods), they're not saying people need to drink 11.5/15.5 cups of water.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,296 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png

(long live Google)
    I don't care if it's Harvard or not, a single number as a recommendation is ridiculous: a lot of exercise or not, hot weather or not, etc.
    And their high end number includes all fluids (also from foods), they're not saying people need to drink 11.5/15.5 cups of water.

Several years ago, the US EPA changed its standards for the amount of fluoride added to water for water utilities who fluoridate water. Yes, I know fluoridating water is a very controversial topic. Fluorine is extremely toxic. It's also been seen as one of the most important improvements in public health along with chlorination. Before 2011, the guidance was to add fluoride to a level between .07 and 1.2 milligrams per liter (yep - metric!). One milligram per liter is about one part per million. That would be like putting one drop of vermouth in ten gallons of gin. I'd hardly call that a martini.

The EPA did some analysis. They realized that people get fluoride in other ways. Fluoride occurs naturally in tea, for example. People also sometimes get fluoride from beverages other than tap water. If the company that bottles your apple juice makes it from concentrate with fluoridated water, there's a dose there too.

The EPA also recognized that some people actually consumed considerably more water than others. People who do hard physical work drink more water than people who run a keyboard. People who work outdoors in a hot climate, even less physical work, drink more water than people who do equivalent work in air condition or in cooler climates. They reduced the recommendation to no more than 0.7 milligrams per liter to account for these differences. They also don't allow tap water to have more than 4.0 parts per million, but that's not important here.

When planning a raft trip down Grand Canyon, the guidance actually IS to drink a gallon of water each day. It's a good starting point for planning how much to bring or have the capacity to treat. I have never been in the summer, and I suspect you could easily drink much MORE. Of course you also have to make sure to keep electrolytes up. My trips have been in fall or spring, and we ended up drinking about half that much. Yes we had other beverages that had their own electrolytes, and we ate fruit and vegetables and food that also had water.

But no - the need to drink a gallon of water per day is indeed bro-science as @ninerbuff suggests.

• Theoldguy1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png

(long live Google)

If you read the screen shot, it said an average (which means some will be higher and some lower) and yes it includes other sources of water. If you notice, I said if all they were drinking was water, the gallon was about right based on the average provided by Harvard.
  • Lietchi
    edited December 2023
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png

(long live Google)

If you read the screen shot, it said an average (which means some will be higher and some lower) and yes it includes other sources of water. If you notice, I said if all they were drinking was water, the gallon was about right based on the average provided by Harvard.

I did read the screenshot. It says 4 to 6 cups, depending on intake of other drinks and food. It implies 11.5/15.5 cups for people not ingesting fluids in any other way, whether it be drinks or food.
    I can't imagine many people only drinking water AND only consuming foods that don't contain any moisture/water.

(PS would have been more useful in my opinion to state a range instead of an average. An average doesn't tell you how wide the spread is)
  • mtaratoot
    edited December 2023
    Options
    (PS would have been more useful in my opinion to state a range instead of an average. An average doesn't tell you how wide the spread is)

If you put one hand in a bucket of ice and a little water (32F, 0C) and the other hand in a pot of near-boiling water (200F, 93C), on average you're pretty comfortable (116F, 50C - a little warmer than a n ice shower).

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png
    Lol, they are kids..................being a yard duty at a middle school, soda, juices, power drinks (like Gatorade, etc.) are all part of these kids intake. I'm saying that these kids DON'T want to drink a gallon of water a day, but do because they see all the bodybuilders lugging around a gallon of water in the gym everyday.
    There are lots of teens that do cable flyes in the gym, not realizing it's NOT a mass building movement, but do them anyway because they see all the buffed dudes doing them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    Chicken or the egg...which came first, mass or exercises?
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,954 Member
    Options
    Potatoes make you fàt.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,516 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Potatoes make you fàt.

Fats make you fat.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    Potatoes make you fàt.

Fats make you fat.

Sugar makes you fat.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png
    Lol, they are kids..................being a yard duty at a middle school, soda, juices, power drinks (like Gatorade, etc.) are all part of these kids intake. I'm saying that these kids DON'T want to drink a gallon of water a day, but do because they see all the bodybuilders lugging around a gallon of water in the gym everyday.
    There are lots of teens that do cable flyes in the gym, not realizing it's NOT a mass building movement, but do them anyway because they see all the buffed dudes doing them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep and water needs to replace about 3/4 of the items you listed. Way too many calories in those items, one of the major reason our children are fat. I remember kids bringing 32 oz of regular Gatorade to youth baseball games to "refuel" when the actual movement in those games was a total of 5 minutes per player. The picture below is from when Gatorade was first being tested. Maybe 8oz for a 230 pound or so player.

tpycuzd7yq1e.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,607 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep and water needs to replace about 3/4 of the items you listed. Way too many calories in those items, one of the major reason our children are fat. I remember kids bringing 32 oz of regular Gatorade to youth baseball games to "refuel" when the actual movement in those games was a total of 5 minutes per player. The picture below is from when Gatorade was first being tested. Maybe 8oz for a 230 pound or so player.

tpycuzd7yq1e.png

1/3rd. Both soda and the gatorades/powerades/vitamin waters of the world have 0 calorie options.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

sqyx5gbmdrx7.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

tpycuzd7yq1e.png

1/3rd. Both soda and the gatorades/powerades/vitamin waters of the world have 0 calorie options.

Depends. If one is drinking 0 calorie versions of the drinks mentioned, carry on. If full sugar replace 3/4 (or more) with water or 0 calorie versions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    TABATA PROTOCOL

There are so many "influencers" now and classes that tout TABATA workout when the truth is all they are doing are intervals.

Tabata protocol is a specific protocol use to force the body to reach and improve VO2max. The protocol requires 100% effort on EVERY INTERVAL and of course each interval will reduce in power and speed.

Today, the majority of people think that doing a 20 sec work and 10 second rest for 8 cycles is Tababta.

It's a disservice to the man that created the program who created it to help Olympic racers improve.

If it ain't 100% effort for just 4 minutes..................................it's NOT Tabata. They are just intervals.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    During some of the pandemic lockdown, a neighbor who wasn't able to work (art teacher) held "gym class" out in the street. I was working from home. She had loud music that was already kind of annoying, and then she started using one of those Tabata timers, and it was even more obnoxious.

I had to ask several times to please turn it down a bit. Not that they're really even supposed to be using the street for that.... There were times some of them brought out equipment and set up stations. It was a great community building idea, but for people who were nearby and didn't want to have to listen to it, it was pretty annoying. A couple other neighbors and I would shake our heads and talk about it later.

Just say no to annoying your neighbor with a loud timer that goes BLWEEEEP multiple times per minute.

Please.