Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• azuki
    azuki Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Well it's because the majority of people in the world work during daylight and sleep at night. And unless you're eating in your sleep or sleep like 3 hours a session, morning is usually when people break their fast.

its not a majority, please do not generalize and start a false argument. there are numerous people (medical, logistics, and emergency take a large percentage) that work outside your typical “morning to evening” hours.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    azuki wrote: »
    Well it's because the majority of people in the world work during daylight and sleep at night. And unless you're eating in your sleep or sleep like 3 hours a session, morning is usually when people break their fast.

its not a majority, please do not generalize and start a false argument. there are numerous people (medical, logistics, and emergency take a large percentage) that work outside your typical “morning to evening” hours.

https://www.pbs.org/livelyhood/nightshift/changing.html

Meaningful minority, yes. Majority - no. Recognizing that these numbers are US specific, this person did specify developed world and I'd be willing to bet they're pretty representative.

Majority = < 50 percent.

the majority do not in fact work second or third shift.

Numbers mean things.

Also pretty sure you're who started this argument. And it really does not belong here, no, but again: NUMBERS AND WORDS MEAN THINGS.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    azuki wrote: »

Uh yeah the MAJORITY of people do work in day versus night. Most typical retail and service workers leave work around 5-6pm. Education instruction is done in the majority of daytime. Majority of labor workers work in daylight and not at night (especially when companies have to pay them more for night work).

7.6 billion people in the world
    There's 15 million doctors
    There's 28 million nurses
    There's 30 million emergency (police, fire, etc) workers
    That there just adds up to 70 million people

Now consider that it takes 1000 million to make 1 billion, I think the numbers are on my side.

Be welcome to refute it with actual numbers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    and anyway even people who work shift work understand what breakfast means in our modern language

In fact it was me who first posted about this comment popping up whereas we all know what breakfast refers to, despite its literal meaning - and I worked shift work for most of my working life and have lived with a shift worker spouse for all of our 35 years of marriage.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Poll time?

My first (and only major)& meal of the day typically happens between 2 and 4 p.m. I call it breakfast if it's breakfast-y food. If it's not I call it dinner.

And before my eating habits drifted to one meal a day ish, I sometimes ate breakfast for breakfast AND fed my kids breakfast for dinner (usually biscuits and gravy).

Then there's the whole all day breakfast menu some places do--
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I call meals by the time of the day they happen at. That makes it easy to have plans with other people. I usually skip breakfast.

That said, breakfast is called that because it's when you break your (overnight) fast so I guess technically I never skip breakfast and neither do you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,515 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    and anyway even people who work shift work understand what breakfast means in our modern language

In fact it was me who first posted about this comment popping up whereas we all know what breakfast refers to, despite its literal meaning - and I worked shift work for most of my working life and have lived with a shift worker spouse for all of our 35 years of marriage.

I usually eat my first meal of the day between 12:00-2:00 p.m. I call that meal lunch.
    Same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    I call meals by the time of the day they happen at. That makes it easy to have plans with other people. I usually skip breakfast.

That said, breakfast is called that because it's when you break your (overnight) fast so I guess technically I never skip breakfast and neither do you.

well, yes, technically nobody skips breakfast because whenever they eat their first meal is breaking their fast - but in real life we know what skipping breakfast means. :*

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've had AM nausea since puberty so I've never been a breakfast eater. These days I have a protein drink (powder + water) around 1.5 hours after I get up, followed by a couple of cups of black coffee. I eat my first solid food, some sort of snack like fruit, at 10 AM coffee break.

However, I do log everything eaten before 1:30 PM (which is lunchtime) as "breakfast" just because it is consumed before "lunch". :D
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I usually eat my first meal of the day between 12:00-2:00 p.m. I call that meal lunch.

Same here. Or if it's the weekend and I have breakfasty food I might call it brunch.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options

Move that up to 11-12, and that's more my style.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ...If it were that obese people wear red shirts more often, would we assume that causes obesity? Probably not.

If you are a Star Trek crew member wearing a red shirt, should you update your will before every away mission? Probably...

Why did they always send some poor guy named Rodriguez to go look behind that rock on the unknown planet?
    It never ended well...
  • jdbly3373
    jdbly3373 Posts: 26 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Skinny people just have faster metabolisms.

I honestly think most skinny people either just don't eat as much ( like my sisters who could eat tiny portions and be satisfied), use drugs ( like nicotine), were raised very active ( like in dance much of the day or just couldn't stop moving). Its just not good for those like me who like big portions ( just hate the hungry feeling!), don't do drugs, and are sluggish ( not the greatest traits!).
  • jdbly3373
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Only eat whole foods. Or eat clean.

I eat clean. I clean my food before I eat it. And I prefer my food in bite sized chunks, not whole thanks.

Some people are amazing because they can take a small bag of chips or candy and make it last several hours! I don't know how they do that. I finish it in 5 minutes.
  • jdbly3373
    Options
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    That there is a really deep reason people put on weight.

I remember watching Chris Powell on Extreme Weight Loss make people breakdown and cry because they had these HUGE life issues and used food to cope.

I just love food. It's yummy.

There can be deep issues. Some people have intense emotional pain and struggle in their life and cry daily. Of course that doesn't mean they should turn to food to ease the pain.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,209 Member
    Options
    jdbly3373 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Only eat whole foods. Or eat clean.

I eat clean. I clean my food before I eat it. And I prefer my food in bite sized chunks, not whole thanks.

Some people are amazing because they can take a small bag of chips or candy and make it last several hours! I don't know how they do that. I finish it in 5 minutes.

If a "sharing size" bag of Kettle Chips (13 ounces) is a "small bag," I can usually make that last well over an hour.

Usually.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    Grr... you had to mention "sharing size" bag... I was in the gas station the other day, wanted to treat myself with a bag of M&M's. But the smallest bag was a "sharing size" bag which is like 3 times the size of the old single serving bags. Since my plan was to eat on the road, there was no way to measure out a single serving, so I had to do without.