Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited July 2021
    I haven't a clue about any of the chemistry. IS there any additional benefit to the 'when' of a workout as far as fat loss goes?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Not sure about any of the chemistry. IS there any additional benefit to the 'when' of a workout as far as fat loss goes?

Not enough to outweigh personal preferences or practicalities, in any decent study I've seen. Maybe zero.

Ditto for exercising fueled or fasted.

If there is a difference, it's numerically trivial.

On subjects like this, listen to @Heybales.

Oversimplifying, I believe, only slightly:

Immediate fuel source during exercise varies primarily based on exercise intensity, and secondarily based on what fuel type was recently consumed, thus readily bioavailable.

Overall, in the long run, total overall calorie deficit (shortfall) gets made up by burning stored body fat. *When* that happens doesn't much matter, for weight management goals. It can matter for endurance athletes' performance.

Just my understanding.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2021
    MsCzar wrote: »
    I haven't a clue about any of the chemistry. IS there any additional benefit to the 'when' of a workout as far as fat loss goes?

As several have mentioned - no.

In addition - no because the fat loss occurs because of keeping a calorie deficit long term, not because of the exercise done by itself.

Some people could do a badly timed workout with food eaten and it makes it really really hard for them to adhere to their diet plan that day.

That would be the change to "when" for YOU personally so the exercise doesn't make it difficult to adhere to your diet plan.

Like maybe you do an intense early morning workout, so no food eaten or you'd puke it up.
    But then you have low blood sugar when finished, snarf a donut, get high blood sugar, insulin overreaction, now low blood sugar again - and end up feeling even more hungry even though the donut provided more calories than the workout provided. So you eat another.
    And now even though the workout allowed you to eat more, you have a challenge to your normal daily diet having consumed so much more.
    Frankly that effect happens to people without the workout too, so.....

It's all about testing what helps YOU.
    Nothing special or magical that is meaningful compared to the different ways YOU might react differently.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Drinking a protein supplement after a workout helps repair muscle right away.

Well yes and no. While some studies show this happening with elite athletes, there really aren't any that confirm it does the same for the average person who just works out hard. At best, you're just supplying more protein to your diet. At worst, you're just consuming more calories that could be used for something that you may really like to eat instead. Don't buy into the hype.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2021
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

According to cereal companies. ALL MEALS are the most important meal of the day. Personally I don't eat traditional morning breakfast.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,945 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

According to cereal companies. ALL MEALS are the most important meal of the day. Personally I don't eat traditional morning breakfast.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, since “breakfast” literally means breaking your fast…. It is the most important meal. Because if you don’t break your fast you don’t last very long.
    Breathairians aren’t real.

:)

But ya. That ad line sure does sell a lot of cereal.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, since “breakfast” literally means breaking your fast…. It is the most important meal. Because if you don’t break your fast you don’t last very long.
    Breathairians aren’t real.

:)

But ya. That ad line sure does sell a lot of cereal.
    Yes the literal term applies if that's the case, but in the good old USA (and likely some other countries) breakfast is associated with MORNING eating. Heck they even combined with with late am eating by calling in BRUNCH since it's so close to lunch.

I don't eat breakfast. I eat lunch.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    Drinking a protein supplement after a workout helps repair muscle right away.

Well yes and no. While some studies show this happening with elite athletes, there really aren't any that confirm it does the same for the average person who just works out hard. At best, you're just supplying more protein to your diet. At worst, you're just consuming more calories that could be used for something that you may really like to eat instead. Don't buy into the hype.

I don't buy into the hype, haven't noticed any significant changes whether I have a protein shake following a workout or hours later. For me, I just get hungry after a workout, so if it's gonna be a bit before my next meal, a protein shake makes a good snack to tide me over.