Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    sijomial, I don't think the AZ vaccine is being used in the U.S., but there have been 124 million doses given to people in the past three months of the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccines in this country. That's over 13% of the entire U.S. population. I think if there was going to be some smoking gun it would have become apparent by now.

When I was given my first Pfizer shot I was also given a CDC app code to report any and all vaccination side-effects and to be updated with any pertinent new observations. I chose not to get involved in it, but I think it's being as transparent as is possible. This country is so litigious that I'm sure the sharks are circling just waiting for a drop of blood in the water-type problem.

The US regulators demanded their own trials of the Oxford-AZ vaccine rather than accept the trials done in the UK and Europe and this trial has just completed and your regulators will consider and decide whether to licence it or not to add to the selections of vaccines available for use.

I had my first shot of the AZ vaccine a few weeks ago and second one is booked for May. Unlike the EU which seems highly politicised the UK has generally been very keen to get vaccinated as soon as possible and the uptake has been very successful. Infection rates and hospitalisation has plummeted here.

When you have socialized medicine, that would seem to push mandatory vaccines, plus only offering the one dose in the initial phases would help.

Just as an FYI, our new cases and hospitalizations have also plummeted in the last month but they're still happening. Death rates are nearly zero in my state right now (7 million population.) New hospitalizations are at about 20 per day, where they were at just over 100 per day six weeks ago.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,950 Member
    Options
    kz46najidu1w.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    "Results from the long-awaited US trial of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine are out and confirm that the shot is both safe and highly effective.

More than 32,000 volunteers took part, mostly in America, but also in Chile and Peru.

The vaccine was 79% effective at stopping symptomatic Covid disease and 100% effective at preventing people from falling seriously ill."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56479462

Don't suppose even these remarkable results from a very large trial will influence the dimwits opposed to vaccinations but should reassure those that are on the fence or have genuine concerns.

Also, news reports are saying that they specifically looked for the blood clotting issue some of Europe has been concerned about. They saw zero instances. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen - the report I heard was careful to say that - but it does mean that at worst it's *extremely* rare.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    "Results from the long-awaited US trial of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine are out and confirm that the shot is both safe and highly effective.

More than 32,000 volunteers took part, mostly in America, but also in Chile and Peru.

The vaccine was 79% effective at stopping symptomatic Covid disease and 100% effective at preventing people from falling seriously ill."

Don't suppose even these remarkable results from a very large trial will influence the dimwits opposed to vaccinations but should reassure those that are on the fence or have genuine concerns.

Hopefully the US still send us their stockpile! - they are supposed to be sending us 1.5 million doses of Astra Zeneca this month. They made it out to sound like they are doing us a huge favour- but actually they haven’t even approved it yet so can’t use them before they expire, so they are sending them to Canada and Mexico (and we have to send some back later). So who is helping who here? 😄
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    kz46najidu1w.png

Well that graph flattens out at a depressing place, doesn't it. At least the projection does...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Also, news reports are saying that they specifically looked for the blood clotting issue some of Europe has been concerned about. They saw zero instances. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen - the report I heard was careful to say that - but it does mean that at worst it's *extremely* rare.

Quoting myself to say I should've given the source (National Public Radio, in the US; All Things Considered program.) Also, if you care, here's the link to the audio (3 minutes):

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/22/980075508/preliminary-study-results-deem-the-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-safe-and-effecti
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Some doctors and nurses are better with needles than others. I've had a few that stung and some I didn't feel.
This discussion has been closed.