Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    There is lots of data now and the data show that the vaccines prevent severe disease and hospitalization at a rate of 95%. I have been studying all of the vaccine trials and data since they came out and they all look promising.

The vaccine is an mRNA one and can’t make you sick. All it can do just like any other vaccine is stimulate an immune response. This is physiology. There is really no harm in taking it. Even people with serious allergic reactions to other things can premeditate prior.

I work in the ER, already had Covid, and am high risk for catching it again so I got vaccinated in January and February. I’m pregnant also but felt this was the best decision and my OB agreed. All of the physicians and PAs I work with also got vaccinated and about half of the nurses did too.

I really don’t understand the apprehension behind the vaccine. The whole argument that it was rushed makes no sense. Of course it came out faster, because the whole world was working on developing it. That’s what happens when scientists put forth a world wide effort on something.

As a health care worker, I am a firm believer in vaccines. There haven’t been any vaccines in the history of vaccines that have been proven to do any real harm to people. Side effects are exceedingly rare and when they do occur could just as easily occur from catching the actual virus the disease is designed to prevent. Vaccines have saved lives over the years and will continue to do so.

I have also seen many flu related deaths over the years which could be prevented if more people get vaccinated. Vaccination is not only about protecting yourself but others.

Congratulations! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As of the published first-month report, of the post-vaccine events reported to VAERS in the US, there were 113 deaths, after 13,794,904 doses being administered. Reporting to VAERS doesn't inherently imply causality, just post-vaccine occurrence. Those that had been assessed did not find the vaccine to be the cause of death, though some analyses were still pending at the time of that publication. With early numbers like that, I'm not even remotely concerned about whether my life insurance will pay out if I die from the vaccine. Others can make their own decisions about whether to phone their agent or not, but I'm not going to bother.

Regarding post-vaccine deaths: it's worth remembering that the majority of people who've been getting vaccines so far are elderly or have other risk factors, so they are more likely to die anyway (harsh, but true). Here in Finland someone panic started spreading about elderly people dying soon after taking the vaccine. Yeah, it sucks, but it was quickly pointed out that the amount of deaths in that age group in that time period was in line with the statistical amount of deaths in that age group in general, they just happened to die of unrelated causes soon after taking the vaccine.

The vaccine prevents covid-19, not deaths from other causes.

I did read that some people who are very, very ill and frail could be "pushed over the edge" to death by the vaccine. So in those cases for sure it would make sense to balance the benefits and risks. I believe that these would be people that are already near death so one would expect that there would be a number of factors that could unfortunately hasten that.

Agreed. The cynical side in me would want to balance the benefit of giving these very ill and frail people the vaccine vs. giving it to someone younger and healthier who could likely have more healthy living years "saved" by the vaccine. I'm really happy it's not my job to make these ethical considerations and decisions.

Funny my mom is 87 and lives in a congregate seniors setting so she was prioritized for the vaccine. She kept telling me "I don't know why they are giving it to me first, why don't they give it to you young people who have to go out to work."

I tried to explain to her that the risk was higher where she was without scaring her (we had so very many seniors die here in Ontario in long term care it was heartbreaking). Finally I just told her she has to take it and if she refused it's not like they would give it to us anyway. :smiley:

Yup. I’m convinced the people deciding the vaccine orders have had some very difficult discussions and weighed multiple viewpoints to find an ethical and effective balance. Just glad it’s not my job. Lately I’ve been entertaining myself by reading the open-letter section of a major newspaper, it’s mostly thinkpieces of why group X, Y or Z should be prioritized in getting vaccinated. Most of them have some variation of ”why is nobody thinking of XYZ” in them - I’m pretty sure that has been thought of, but something else was simply more critical.

Besides that, with which I agree, some of the opinion pieces I've seen about prioritizing groups are IMO not thinking through the complexity of this whole enterprise, and the practicality cost of further complicating it.

I'm sure that the priority orders could productively fine-tuned in some ways, nothing is perfect, and it had to be put together quite quickly. But even with the order we have (where I am, anyway), questions arise about how one verifies that a person is in a particular priority group, either when they sign up or when they arrive for the shot.

For example, I could claim that I have COPD (because I have a CT scan report saying that I do). The sign up sites have a box to check for it (I didn't). How is this verified? Do they take my word? Do I have to prove it?

Some groups here have been given priority by offering shots through their workplace (health care workers, teachers). If we want to extend this to other front-line occupational groups like (say) grocery workers or hairdressers or massage therapists, how do we do that? They aren't concentrated in big workplaces, some don't have licenses to show, etc.

Nearly any subgroup to be given priority raises issues like this. If we take people's word, that can be enabling line jumping. If we don't take their word, it makes the process more complicated, maybe requires complicated questionnaire systems for sign-up, possibly slows down the check-in process at the vaccination sites, etc.

I suspect that even if we could identify a perfect, nuanced priority, it could be a nightmare to administer; and if we set up priorities that are easy to administer, it may not be very nuanced.

The opinion pieces I've seen about priorities have mostly been about "fairness" or something like that, but don't seem to consider practicality of administration within a huge, nationwide process.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    There is lots of data now and the data show that the vaccines prevent severe disease and hospitalization at a rate of 95%. I have been studying all of the vaccine trials and data since they came out and they all look promising.

The vaccine is an mRNA one and can’t make you sick. All it can do just like any other vaccine is stimulate an immune response. This is physiology. There is really no harm in taking it. Even people with serious allergic reactions to other things can premeditate prior.

I work in the ER, already had Covid, and am high risk for catching it again so I got vaccinated in January and February. I’m pregnant also but felt this was the best decision and my OB agreed. All of the physicians and PAs I work with also got vaccinated and about half of the nurses did too.

I really don’t understand the apprehension behind the vaccine. The whole argument that it was rushed makes no sense. Of course it came out faster, because the whole world was working on developing it. That’s what happens when scientists put forth a world wide effort on something.

As a health care worker, I am a firm believer in vaccines. There haven’t been any vaccines in the history of vaccines that have been proven to do any real harm to people. Side effects are exceedingly rare and when they do occur could just as easily occur from catching the actual virus the disease is designed to prevent. Vaccines have saved lives over the years and will continue to do so.

I have also seen many flu related deaths over the years which could be prevented if more people get vaccinated. Vaccination is not only about protecting yourself but others.

Congratulations! :)

Thank you ❤️
This discussion has been closed.