Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

the necessity of working out and impacts of yoga

2»

Replies

• wunderkindkingwunderkindking Member Posts: 347 Member Member Posts: 347 Member
    Train like I want what?

Because what I want is a life I enjoy, in a body that facilitates that.

It isn't a 7 minute mile. It isn't being able to dead lift X amount of weight. It isn't a 6 pack or a 15% BMI.

It is a body that lets me have experiences I want to have and to do things I love - with people I love.

It's LIFE, not a competition. There is no finish line, except death. There is no medal for doing All The Right Things According To The Internet Expert.

There's just life and living and making the most you can from it.

If you LOVE fitness - yoga, weight lifting, training, whatever - then BY ALL MEANS GO FORTH. I compete in some sports and they're fun and added value in my life - because I *love* playing the game (and played them obese because again I love them for what they are and the experience of them). I have no problem understanding that other people would find that in body building competitions or marathons or yoga or anything else.

But for me? Weight loss and fitness facilitate the things I love in LIFE. And yeah, sometimes there's training for a competition but I am not going to take time out of living my life in order to train for... Life. That is passing while I 'train'. To live a life I like.

That'd be silly.
    edited April 6
  • wunderkindkingwunderkindking Member Posts: 347 Member Member Posts: 347 Member
    Look, above post aside and at the end of the my personal attitude is this:

Weight-loss and lifestyle should be as easy as it can/could be. I'm not going to, and don't want to, go hard at it. I want something that can fade into the background of my life, being as effortless as possible. Which enables me not to focus on weight loss or fitness as a Thing I Am Doing that comes with a finish line or will fall apart when I can't focus on it.

And it's worked for me.

I have, interestingly, picked up a few hobbies along the way - running is fun, weights are fun - but I'm not training FOR a thing, and if I stopped both of those tomorrow I could mindlessly adjust my calories back down and move on. Life happens - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

And either way I can *without thought or working hard* take a couple of vitamins, and eat at about the calorie level I need to eat, to keep trucking along with the things that need to be done, and focus on things that matter most to me.

THAT to me is success and what I'm looking for.

"GO HARD" has no value to me.
    edited April 6
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,241 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,241 Member
    H4WKWIND wrote: »
    H4WKWIND wrote: »
    The woman who lost the 60lbs freaked out and quit yoga thinking it was something like dealing with the devil.

there's no need to be condescending about it.

I wasn't, they were her words to the teacher.

Nowadays there is Christian Yoga such as were I live is Yoga Faith. Yoga nowadays (in my City) is mostly for fitness and is a mix of flow Yoga, Pilates and Barre.
    There's also Diamond Dallas Page Yoga https://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448 which I've taken with a teacher.

Yoga comes from the faith traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism. Those are not my faith traditions, but I can imagine if they were it would be possible I'd feel some kinda way about "Christian yoga," with the apparent belief that the "good parts" can be plucked out, essentially baptized, and all the rest left behind.

I personally perceive a difference between people doing yoga as a fitness practice and people taking yoga and turning it into a whole different religious practice.