Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Psychetruth - a great youtube channel! - actually talks about snickers bars in relation to macronutrients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyqyXTQhiw

I would definitely choose a Snickers over a bowl of unsweetened Corn Flakes -- no brainer on that one!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can. Sounds like you are learning a lot.

Should you? Only you can answer. One perspective is you should not if it will make you hungry. While sugar and carbohydrates don't affect everyone in the same way, it can lead some to greater hunger and cravings. If you aren't one of those folks, lucky you. If you are, you are about to find out...

I rather use my calories for foods that satisfy me. This is mostly protein and fats. Sigh. I love frozen snickers.

Actually Snickers has a nice amount of protein and fats for the calories. It makes a great snack.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can. Sounds like you are learning a lot.

Should you? Only you can answer. One perspective is you should not if it will make you hungry. While sugar and carbohydrates don't affect everyone in the same way, it can lead some to greater hunger and cravings. If you aren't one of those folks, lucky you. If you are, you are about to find out...

I rather use my calories for foods that satisfy me. This is mostly protein and fats. Sigh. I love frozen snickers.

Actually Snickers has a nice amount of protein and fats for the calories. It makes a great snack.

As I said, good for you. It is a LOUSY snack for me or anyone with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, carbo-sensitive, etc. Carry on enjoying candy bars as snacks!
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In for Snickers ice-cream!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If I do eat one... it's those small FUN size ones. Gives me the chocolat kick. It's the other stuff I fight to avoid.. like potato chips, french fries, etc...

GOOD LUCK !!

Oh the FRIED POTATO. Who thought up that particular death trap?? Everyone in my house knows to only bring in enough chips / fries for their own meal cuz if there are any left I will eat them ALL! I do allow myself a little bag of Panera chips every once in awhile...and log it, of course. But I really understand the Lays potoato chip lady in the nail salon commercial...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    EEEEEEET ALL THE SNICKERZ
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think I was really really carefully and saying it was personal or for folks with issues, no? The OP is obviously just starting to figure things out and there are no absolutes here. And yes, as I said, LUCKY you. Not everyone can or should be snacking on candy bars. It is what got them on this site in the first place...
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    No. And to save you you should give it to me to eat...... Errr throw away for you *looks about shiftily* There is a bin right there, honest.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not an every day thing, then I would go for it. I try to keep my sugar indulging limited to once or twice a week becuase it's like a drug for me and I know if I give in to much, I will go back to old habits.

It can even be every day if you are meeting your goals.
  • nicsalt
    nicsalt Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Go for it and add a couple of miles to balance it out. :) I love snickers but limit myself to how often I get one. I use them as rewards for accomplishing goals etc.

Food as a reward for reaching your goals? This seems a little counterproductive - for me anyway.

Seems counterproductive to me too, sounds like disordered eating. "Do not reward yourself with food. You're not a dog."
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    YOU SHALL NOT EAT THE SINFUL ABOMINATION! IT MUST BE DESTROYED, CAST FORTH FROM THIS REALM AND BACK TO ABYSS THAT SPAWNED IT.... that said, can I have it? :devil:
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    No, you can't eat a Snickers, because in the time you spent thinking about it, I stole it and ate it.

haha exactly!!!

but seriously if it fits ur macros go for it!!!

www.facebook.com/teamobenchain help me to reach 300 likes and follow my daily posts on diets, food plans and workouts
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    I have Snikcers icecream most weeknights :) A calorie is a calorie. Your car can't tell whether is petrol came from BP or Caltex, your body can't tell if your calorie came from a Snickers or a salad.

Wrong, your body can tell.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Don't know how this got to a 6page thread not much to discuss :huh:

Four pages of caring members who offered advice to the OP based on what works for them

PLUS

Two pages of people who want the snickers bar.

:flowerforyou:
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    In general terms, no it won't impede progress.

That being said, the level of your deficit, overall nutritional intake etc are important factors, but it is important to remember that calories in vs calories out is still the primary determinant of weight loss.

I believe one should take a balanced, long term approach to fat loss. Having a snickers now will lessen your caloric deficit for today, but will it leave you feeling satisfied for having eaten it? Are you still under maintenance calories? If the answer to these is yes, then go for it.

For most people (who do not have disordered eating habits and can consume foods in moderation) having the occasional treat will improve longer term dietary adherence and lead to better long-term results.

^^This!^^

As someone who has been on Atkins, lost weight via Meridia (a now banned weight loss drug), and via cutting back on portions, the common denominator really is calories-in v. calories-out. However, your caveat to this understanding is whether or not the sugar will impede your ability to feel satiated. I'd say, because Snickers balances peanuts (a protein) and fats with the sugary chocolate, you'll probably be fine. Personally, I'd need something savory afterwards and may feel cheated of a real meal, but everyone is different. So, the short answer is yes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In general terms, no it won't impede progress.

That being said, the level of your deficit, overall nutritional intake etc are important factors, but it is important to remember that calories in vs calories out is still the primary determinant of weight loss.

I believe one should take a balanced, long term approach to fat loss. Having a snickers now will lessen your caloric deficit for today, but will it leave you feeling satisfied for having eaten it? Are you still under maintenance calories? If the answer to these is yes, then go for it.

For most people (who do not have disordered eating habits and can consume foods in moderation) having the occasional treat will improve longer term dietary adherence and lead to better long-term results.

^^This!^^

As someone who has been on Atkins, lost weight via Meridia (a now banned weight loss drug), and via cutting back on portions, the common denominator really is calories-in v. calories-out. However, your caveat to this understanding is whether or not the sugar will impede your ability to feel satiated. I'd say, because Snickers balances peanuts (a protein) and fats with the sugary chocolate, you'll probably be fine. Personally, I'd need something savory afterwards and may feel cheated of a real meal, but everyone is different. So, the short answer is yes.
    I like both these answers.
  • PicoJulie
    Options
    Psychetruth - a great youtube channel! - actually talks about snickers bars in relation to macronutrients.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyqyXTQhiw

I would definitely choose a Snickers over a bowl of unsweetened Corn Flakes -- no brainer on that one!

me too! ^_^
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat a snickers bar, have two if you want one, or have three if you want too.:tongue: .............they ( the marketing dept) are counting on it. Now they have dark chocolate.....new horizons, new customers, new profit stream and a no brainer.