Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    But.......some of the biggest weight loss success stories I've seen on mfp have included cheat days. Your statement on better lifestyle choices is true;however, seeing as how once a person gains a significant bit of weight they forever for the rest of their life have to be diligent in their calorie tracking and fitness, it doesn't seem feasible to never again have a candy bar as long as you live. Denying yourself treats every once in a while is sure to cause feelings of deprivation and could very well cause people to quit, binge, surrender. I find a little something at the end of most days satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me very much on track. If we look at the habits of naturally skinny people you will find them doing the same thing. Eat your snickers bar, and tomorrow go back to eating healthy. This is going to take a lifetime anyway.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options

If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

I don't mean to be harsh but are you actually joking? Fitting in treats here and there is what MAKES it a sensible relationship with food. Most people put weight back on after stopping a totally restrictive diet. People keep weight off by having a healthy balanced diet. And honestly ONE snickers does not a binge make.

OP it's not cheating, it's just eating. I like to think that I'm not on a "diet", I'm adjusting my life - exercise, eating and entire mentality - to be fit and healthy (not "thin") and it's not realistic that for the rest of my life I will never have a glass of wine or a piece of cake. Enjoy that snickers my friend.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I would've eaten it before I'd finished typing the question.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it in, eat it! :)
    If you can't fit it in, eat it and then burn a couple hundred calories. :)

Either way, enjoy it!!! Losing weight doesn't have to be all boiled chicken and plain rice...
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I say it's your plan, do what you like.

But in time, if you aren't achieving our goals, then some tweaking might be required.

If it's working, then good for you!!
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I say yes as long as you stay under it won't affect you. Might not satisfy you as something more nutrional but sometimes you just have to!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you can fit it in, eat it! :)
    If you can't fit it in, eat it and then burn a couple hundred calories. :)

Either way, enjoy it!!! Losing weight doesn't have to be all boiled chicken and plain rice...
    If you try to do all boiled chicken and rice you won't stay the course. The more variety you can work into you day you won't feel deprived. Have the snickers or ice cream or cake. What ever will work in you daily calorie plan. AND ENJOY
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    These are both similar...

**Snickers Bar**

Calories: 250
    Fat: 12g
    --Saturated: 5g
    --Polyunsaturated: 0
    --Monounsaturated: 0
    Carbs: 30g
    --Fiber: 0g
    --Sugars: 27g
    Protein: 4g

**1 serving of oats, 1 t of brown sugar, 1 cup of grapefruit**

Calories: 262
    Fat: 3g
    --Saturated: 1
    --Polyunsaturated: 1
    --Monounsaturated: 1
    Carbs: 56g
    --Fiber: 8g
    --Sugars: 21g
    Protein: 7g

Which would you rather have? Gimme the damn Snickers bar! Do slight adjustments in fiber, protein and the type of fats REALLY make one better than the other? One thing I hate about these forums are the hoity-toity people who think that if you eat a Snickers bar you aren't really trying to be healthy or lose weight. If the numbers in the Snickers bar fits into my calories and my macronutrients, I am doing just as good as the person eating the "healthy" snack.

I eat plenty of food that many don't consider healthy on these forums, but I stay with my calorie goal, stay with my macro goal and have lost plenty of weight and feel amazing.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    denying yourself the GOODIES that are forbidden according to some people is not a good way to go EVER. This is NOT a diet, this is a lifestyle change. And look at it this way--skinny people don't deny them pleasures--they take them in moderation. And taking your "snack" every now and then keeps you going on this difficult road.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    KInda Sugar turns to fat unless you burn it.So if your active you will probably be ok
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,680 Member
    Options
    i do, i don't eat a whole bar, just a snack halloween size. i'm still under my goal weight and i burn it off anyway... just don't go crazy on them
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Of course!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    KInda Sugar turns to fat unless you burn it.So if your active you will probably be ok

ANY calories you eat that you don't burn turn to fat.

The main point is: >> Sugar is not the devil!!! <<
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Key is moderation.. I have 3 recess peanut butter cups 5 days a week. or kit kat minis ....
    Anyway.. I love chocolate.. I bust my *kitten* at the gym 6 days a week though and feel like if I want it, I will eat it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have Snikcers icecream most weeknights :) A calorie is a calorie. Your car can't tell whether is petrol came from BP or Caltex, your body can't tell if your calorie came from a Snickers or a salad.

Wrong, your body can tell.
    My brain can tell too

MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR, COCOA BUTTER, CHOCOLATE, SKIM MILK, LACTOSE, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR), PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MILKFAT, SKIM MILK, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, LACTOSE, SALT, EGG WHITES, CHOCOLATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR. MAY CONTAIN ALMONDS
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I thought you were only supposed to eat a Snickers if you're not going anywere for a while...

IIFYM
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    if you eat my cat SNICKERS, I might have to throttle you.
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can, but chocolate isn't very filling and you're probably going to feel hungry and fatigued later on, leading to the eating of excess calories. I am a chocoholic and have learned to enjoy chocolate in a healthier manner!
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can, but chocolate isn't very filling and you're probably going to feel hungry and fatigued later on, leading to the eating of excess calories. I am a chocoholic and have learned to enjoy chocolate in a healthier manner!

Does eaing chocolate in a healhier manner include consuming it while on a treadmil?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Actually, if one is going to eat chocolate, consuming a snickers, with the nuts and what not, is probably pretty "filling".
    I'm still not gonna eat one, but really: it has a lot less crap than many candy bars (though it does have hydrogenated oils, and corn syrup), and is probably pretty filling.