Will you gain weight if you eat before sleeping?

Options
..if youre under your allotted calories for the day but eat, an apple for example, 1 hour before bed? Sometimes, work can be hectic and go on till 10-11pm. At this time, I get a tad bit hungry. So I was wondering if eating an apple or so (as long as Im under my calorie limit). But I read somewhere (cant confirm the authenticity) that if you eat before sleeping then it will be deposited as fat.

Is that trye at all? Or is that true for unhealthy junk food only?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Nope, this is completely a myth. You can eat at any time of the day and not have a negative effect so long as you're meeting your calorie goal. However, I do not recommend eating while sleeping as this could present a choking hazard and you may forget to log what you ate.
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nope, this is completely a myth. You can eat at any time of the day and not have a negative effect so long as you're meeting your calorie goal. However, I do not recommend eating while sleeping as this could present a choking hazard and you may forget to log what you ate.

really? phew..and add acid reflux to that list also. :grumble:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes having a small meal or snack right before I go to bed helps me sleep. And I have been consistently losing weight, def. not gaining.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    But isnt is true because you're not burning anything or doing anything physical and the body stores the food as fat?
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Only if you eat and then sleep - all day, every day and never move. Then your cals eaten will probably be above what you burn and you'll gain weight.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown eating before bed doesn't turn into fat if you're eating within your calorie allotment. I eat before bed all the time.

That said - I wouldn't eat say spaghetti and meatballs then lie down to sleep. I'd stick to light foods that are easy to digest. If I eat something heavy I personally have trouble sleeping.
  • whierd
    Options
    But isnt is true because you're not burning anything or doing anything physical and the body stores the food as fat?

No.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    You actually burn more calories while you are sleeping than you do exercising. I usually burn around 800 calories while sleeping, but only 300 in an exercise session.

It does NOT matter *when* you eat your calories as long as you are in a deficit for the day under your TDEE. The calorie deficit is what matters, not when you eat.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    You actually burn more calories while you are sleeping than you do exercising. I usually burn around 800 calories while sleeping, but only 300 in an exercise session.

It does NOT matter *when* you eat your calories as long as you are in a deficit for the day under your TDEE. The calorie deficit is what matters, not when you eat.

how did you measure your calories burnt during sleep?
  • whierd
    Options

Probably with an HRM.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options

Probably with an HRM.

thats crazy..that would mean the person would have to sleep with the strap on then..

it would be interesting to see if a person burns more calories if theyre tired...or days where youve burnt more vs days less (while asleep)..interesting topic to research.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    ..if youre under your allotted calories for the day but eat, an apple for example, 1 hour before bed? Sometimes, work can be hectic and go on till 10-11pm. At this time, I get a tad bit hungry. So I was wondering if eating an apple or so (as long as Im under my calorie limit). But I read somewhere (cant confirm the authenticity) that if you eat before sleeping then it will be deposited as fat.

I'm on a diet that doesn't allowed any food after 6 pm. My doctor is very strict about no food after 6, so it's not a myth.

But if I'm feeling really hungry, I can have a half glass of warm skim milk. It's allowed. It helps to calm the stomach.

My doctor recommends to have something to drink tat is easy to digest. This way my digestive system is also relaxing while I'm sleeping.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    HRMs really aren't supposed to be very accurate when you're not actually exercising. More likely to have been a FitBit. According to mine I earn almost 700 for an 8 hours.

If you think about it sensibly, if you are eating less each day than your body requires how can it possibly be making fat - whenever you're eating those calories. I had an apple before bed last night and woke up lighter than I was yesterday morning.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

No. First of all, your body burns calories while you sleep. Secondly you need to look at fat oxidation over the whole day, not just at night.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options

I'm on a diet that doesn't allowed any food after 6 pm. My doctor is very strict about no food after 6, so it's not a myth.

But if I'm feeling really hungry, I can have a half glass of warm skim milk. It's allowed. It helps to calm the stomach.

Why doesnt the doc tell u to eat after 6? did he give any reasons?
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

That COULD just be to stop you from snacking between meals!

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Probably with an HRM.

thats crazy..that would mean the person would have to sleep with the strap on then..

it would be interesting to see if a person burns more calories if theyre tired...or days where youve burnt more vs days less (while asleep)..interesting topic to research.

The calories you burn will approximate your BMR (although there are studies that indicate that your BMR actually increases while sleeping). People's BMR is about 50 - 100 calories an hour (depending on size, age, metabolism etc). If you are tired your TDEE will probably be lower as you will move more. Your BMR will not change however.
  • YaGigi
    Options

Why doesnt the doc tell u to eat after 6? did he give any reasons?

That's a diet I follow and it's prescribed by a very reputable weightloss clinic. I get tested by this clinic once a week and spent a week of treatments and diet in Swiss alps during my last treatment.

I didn't really asked why... I've known this "no food after 6" for years and was following it, was slim, my mom has been following it for 60 years and she's 90 - 95 pounds. It's like asking "why earth is not flat", its an obvious fact for me.
  • YaGigi
    Options

That COULD just be to stop you from snacking between meals!

Snacking is not allowed either :)
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Bodybugg